ADVERTISEMENT

Straight from high school to the NBA to resume in 2024

boilerzz

Jul 5, 2002
Team
Purdue
The NBA is expected to undo a rule that has been in place since 2005, lowering the age limit for the NBA Draft from 19 to 18, according to sources with knowledge of the discussions. The NBA and NBA Players Association can amend this rule as soon as 2024. Prior to 2005, the league saw players like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard make the jump from high school to the NBA as 18-year-olds.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I think the NBA should concentrate more on making a better product and raise the age limit. Too many kids go on to prove they can’t even adapt to the college game. The NBA needs to work on it being a league of elite players instead of a bunch of mediocre ham ‘n’ eggers.

Should have never stopped. There is a small percentage of players in every class that need no help from college ball to get to the next level. Those guys should have the right to play professionally right away.

The college game will suffer, but unfortunately, this is nothing new for us that love the sport more than pro ball. The NBA is all about making their league the best it can be, and when they set these rules, they couldn't give two shits about college basketball.

The only thing that would help our game with this coming back in to play, is set a limit on how long you have to play if you choose college. Go straight pro, or play at least two years. I'm not sure the NBA would ever go for it, but that's probably the only thing that will keep decent talent at the college level.

Should have never stopped. There is a small percentage of players in every class that need no help from college ball to get to the next level. Those guys should have the right to play professionally right away.

The college game will suffer, but unfortunately, this is nothing new for us that love the sport more than pro ball. The NBA is all about making their league the best it can be, and when they set these rules, they couldn't give two shits about college basketball.

The only thing that would help our game with this coming back in to play, is set a limit on how long you have to play if you choose college. Go straight pro, or play at least two years. I'm not sure the NBA would ever go for it, but that's probably the only thing that will keep decent talent at the college level.
fortunately we have the nil now so inbetweeners stick around.

Thats a good point.
i love your point about keeping players for multiple years. something i and probably most uk fans have missed as well, i dont think a rule should mandate it, just give the players more of an incentive than just a free education

make it more enticing than play primetime on espn

Reactions: JimboBBN
Its a terrible idea, kids need to go to college and learn some important lessons before going to NBA. In the past, almost every high school players who went to NBA directly skipping college basketball, tend to end up with some fundamental flaws in their skills or personality. All these can be discovered and corrected/improved with 1-2 years playing in NCAA, as the coaches will actually help them grow up as human beings, rather than just treat them as employees that can be cut anytime they want to. Imagine Kwame Brown actually went to college, his future NBA career would've been much better. Not every top HS player is ready for NBA like Lebron.

I was blackballed by my basketball coaches. They were ignorant.

Its a terrible idea, kids need to go to college and learn some important lessons before going to NBA. In the past, almost every high school players who went to NBA directly skipping college basketball, tend to end up with some fundamental flaws in their skills or personality. All these can be discovered and corrected/improved with 1-2 years playing in NCAA, as the coaches will actually help them grow up as human beings, rather than just treat them as employees that can be cut anytime they want to. Imagine Kwame Brown actually went to college, his future NBA career would've been much better. Not every top HS player is ready for NBA like Lebron.
Not every player is required to go right to the NBA like Lebron did. If you aren’t ready out of HS, go to college.

The Lebron, Kobe, KG, Dwight’s shouldn’t have to waste their time in college because others can’t make the same impact.

Wish the OAD rule was in play in 96-97.

DUCbUL3VAAA0juR.jpg

Not every player is required to go right to the NBA like Lebron did. If you aren’t ready out of HS, go to college.

The Lebron, Kobe, KG, Dwight’s shouldn’t have to waste their time in college because others can’t make the same impact.
I could argue that almost all of these players could have benefitted from studying 1-2 years in college anyway. Lebron never developed a jump shot, Dwight had limited offensive game, while Kobe almost ended up in jail in 2003. Only KG seemed to not need college at all.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I could argue that almost all of these players could have benefitted from studying 1-2 years in college anyway. Lebron never developed a jump shot, Dwight had limited offensive game, while Kobe almost ended up in jail in 2003. Only KG seemed to not need college at all.
All 4 are HOFers.

Could they go to college? Sure.

Did they need to, to be successful? Clearly not.

All 4 are HOFers.

They didn’t need to go to college to have successful NBA career, but their NBA career would have been better if they went to college. Lebron never had a reliable jumper, Dwight has very limited offensive skills, while Kobe almost ended up in jail in 2003. All of them can use 1-2 years of college time to improve skillset and/or become more mature.

They didn’t need to go to college to have successful NBA career, but their NBA career would have been better if they went to college. Lebron never had a reliable jumper, Dwight has very limited offensive skills, while Kobe almost ended up in jail in 2003. All of them can use 1-2 years of college time to improve skillset and/or become more mature.
Lebron’s jumper is reliable, has been for years. In fact he shoots a higher percentage from 3 than Jordan or Kobe.

Dwight was a one option on a team that went to the finals, unfortunate back injuries are what limited his career.

Kobe never went to jail and I’m not sure how going to college would change that… Miles Bridges went to Mich St, somehow that didn’t prevent him from hitting women.

Get better arguments.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
All 4 are HOFers.

Agree with this 100%. Those guys did not need college.

Lebron’s jumper is reliable, has been for years. In fact he shoots a higher percentage from 3 than Jordan or Kobe.

Dont agree with this though. Bron has shot around 37% outside of 10ft for his career. I wouldn't exactly call his jumper reliable. Jordan, for comparison, was around 46%.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jordan shot the 3 closer to league average than LBJ does. So I'd like to think if Jordan played in today's era his 3pt% would be higher than Brons. Can only speculate, but with MJs work ethic, I believe it would've been higher had it been a more prominent part of his game he worked on.

Dont agree with this though. Bron has shot around 37% outside of 10ft for his career. I wouldn't exactly call his jumper reliable. Jordan, for comparison, was around 46%.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jordan shot the 3 closer to league average than LBJ does. So I'd like to think if Jordan played in today's era his 3pt% would be higher than Brons. Can only speculate, but with MJs work ethic, I believe it would've been higher had it been a more prominent part of his game he worked on.
You’d be wrong.

Michael shot 32.7% from 3.

Lebron shoots 34.6% from 3.

While League average has hovered from 32% to 36.7% since 1990, both sit about a ~1.5% percent below league average at the time they played.

No shit Lebron shoots worse from 10 ft out compared to MJ. He shoots almost 3x as many 3’s per game for his career.

Don't think it's that fair to compare. Both group up in different eras with different basketball philosophies. Like comparing passing yards now to 10-20+ years ago.

You’d be wrong.

Michael shot 32.7% from 3.

Lebron shoots 34.6% from 3.

While League average has hovered from 32% to 36.7% since 1990, both sit about a ~1.5% percent below league average at the time they played.

No shit Lebron shoots worse from 10 ft out compared to MJ. He shoots almost 3x as many 3’s per game for his career.

So they're basically the same shooter from 3 even though LBJ plays in an era where its practiced religiously and a prominent part of the game. I still believe Jordan would be a better 3 pt shooter than Bron if Jordan played today. Just my opinion.

So they're basically the same shooter from 3 even though LBJ plays in an era where its practiced religiously and a prominent part of the game. I still believe Jordan would be a better 3 pt shooter than Bron if Jordan played today. Just my opinion.
So they are basically the same shooter from 3, yet Lebron doesn’t have a reliable jumper and Michael does?

The 3 pt shot isn't the only jumper in basketball.

LBJ from 10 ft to the 3 pt line- 37%
MJ from 10 ft to the 3 pt line- 45%
When it comes to the most valuable shot in basketball, MJ shot 32.7%. Well below Lebron’s career average of 34.6%.

Even Kobe shot higher😂

Btw-

Michael Jordan on 2 pointers- 51.0%

Lebron James on 2 pointers- 55.2%

Because Lebron shoots like 78% on dunks and layups with a wide open lane lmao.

We can agree to disagree on if LBJs a reliable jump shooter or not (I think he's become more reliable as his career has gone on). But you don't actually believe he's a better jump shooter than MJ, do you?

Because Lebron shoots like 78% on dunks and layups with a wide open lane lmao.

We can agree to disagree on if LBJs a reliable jump shooter or not (I think he's become more reliable as his career has gone on). But you don't actually believe he's a better jump shooter than MJ, do you?
Unfortunately for you, numbers can’t lie. And he shoots a better percentage on 2’s and 3’s.

It’d be one thing if the sample size was small, but it’s actually much larger than MJ’s. Thus why he is passing Kareem this season in points.

ADVERTISEMENT