ADVERTISEMENT

Sources: Grad transfer Patrick Tape rescinds commitment to Duke

Would be absolutely nuts if Carey came back but Matthew Hurt went pro, but it’s a crazy time.

Kira Lewis over tre Jones and Dotson is a head scratcher as well. As well as Isaiah Stewart going so highly. Never know though nba draft is always a crap shoot beyond the top 2-3 players and sometimes it’s not even that many.

Kira Lewis over tre Jones and Dotson is a head scratcher as well. As well as Isaiah Stewart going so highly. Never know though nba draft is always a crap shoot beyond the top 2-3 players and sometimes it’s not even that many.
Stewart is a great defender and far more athletic than Carey

Reactions: RipThru
Zero chance Carey comes back. He will never be a high pick just because he's a traditional big that can't defend, which is rare in the NBA these days. This draft is weak and his best bet to go as high as possible.
So lottery is not a high pick?

Assume this means they have someone committing or maybe reclassifying and committing and don't need Tape anymore.

Anyone who takes him in the lottery should be fired on the spot.
What team do you run? Who have you drafted.

He can shoot the 3, rebound, block shots, run the floor and defend. An All American. But we will all listen to your sorry opinion.

Tape got nervous. Has nothing to do with anything else.

Hurt is staying, Stanley is gone.

Hurt returning.

On what planet would Carey return? Kid was amazing

He can shoot the 3, rebound, block shots, run the floor and defend. An All American. But we will all listen to your sorry opinion.
I guess we'll just wait and see, won't we?

Reactions: Big_Blue79

He can defend another big man but that's about it, teams were killing us by running screens and having Carey switched onto a guard.

Buzz on Twitter is that Syracuse flipped him because of relationship with coaches.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/03/31/nba-mock-draft-march-madness-canceled

To be fair, anybody can publish a mock draft, so I could have missed one with him in the lottery...

He's not going in the lottery because, in the NBA, he's a Caleb Swanigan-esque dinosaur. His archetype severely limits his upside to the point that even a (realistic) best case scenario is marginal rotation player. Great college player, sure, but the gulf between the NBA and NCAA has never been larger.

Edit: center is by a large margin the deepest position in the NBA, so there's little need to utilize precious resources (money, draft slot, or trade assets) to pick up someone who's not one of the few game changers - KAT, Jokic, Embiid, etc...

Last edited:
I don’t get people who think Carey is some sort of dinosaur. Has great hands, quick feet, and shot nearly 40 percent from three with a very small sample size, but always had nice form and was more of an outside sort of guy in high school. ACC freshman of the year, first team all ACC, second team All American... kid was a stud, and wasn’t some lumbering big. He will be just fine in the league.

I don’t get people who think Carey is some sort of dinosaur. Has great hands, quick feet, and shot nearly 40 percent from three with a very small sample size, but always had nice form and was more of an outside sort of guy in high school. ACC freshman of the year, first team all ACC, second team All American... kid was a stud, and wasn’t some lumbering big. He will be just fine in the league.
There are plenty of great college players that weren't well suited for the NBA. Tyler Hansborough, Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, Hasheem Thabeet, etc. Carey isn't suited for an up and down game and is too dependent on his left hand. He's like a rich man's Kennedy Meeks.

All that might be true. (The three point shooting is a total unknown. Dude took like 50 total shots). But that still doesn’t make him a lotto pick in today’s league. He’s a high floor, low ceiling kind of guy. At a position that isn’t highly valued these days, unless you can pass like Jokic or shoot like Porzingus.

All that screams a pick between 20-35.

There are plenty of great college players that weren't well suited for the NBA. Tyler Hansborough, Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, Hasheem Thabeet, etc. Carey isn't suited for an up and down game and is too dependent on his left hand. He's like a rich man's Kennedy Meeks.

Without this...

DZziVRHVQAAwqzr.jpg

Meeks, National Title. Carey, second to fourth place finish in the ACC regular season. Facts.

Carey is a fantastic player. I know the big man in the league has a different role but I think he will do well. I'm not sure about being an all star but he won't be a flop IMO.

You’re comparing him to 4 year players? Ok. I mean I wish Vern was at Duke for four years, but come on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT