ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t be serious with that last sentence.
-Shutting down pain pill clinics
-Keeping Jimmy Buffett out of the R&R Hall of Fame
-Making fun of the show NCIS
-Rolling eyes at Amway pitches
-Not acknowledging chain emails
-Ignoring their misspelled Facebook posts

From an internal presentation from the American Hospital Association... prepping for five million hospitalizations and half a million dead within the next two months. That is more than the entire number of Americans killed in all of World War 2 (which lasted some four years) in just two months.

But yeah... something something media clicks something.

You should read the tweets before you link false info. The guy who posted it mistakenly thought that 2 month epi wave meant all the statistics were for the next 2 months. He corrected himself in the thread.

But since you’re too big of a pvssy to read my posts you’ll leave up false info and/or because it suits your agenda.

(And those aren’t AHA numbers but why would you care about that before posting it if you don’t even care about the numbers themselves being accurate).

Reactions: SNU0821
I’ll ban bet any liberal here that 400,000 people don’t die from Covid-19 in the U.S. over the next two months. That tweet that libs keep posting says 480,000 in 2 months so I’m giving you an 80,000 death cushion.

I’ll ban bet any liberal here that 400,000 people don’t die from Covid-19 in the U.S. over the next two months. That tweet that libs keep posting says 480,000 in 2 months so I’m giving you an 80,000 death cushion.
What tweet? That sounds ridiculous. Current estimated mortality of 2%-3% is likely way too high w/ asymptomatic people transmitting it but not getting tested. 2% would mean 24mill cases. Doesn't look like we'd be able to test 24mill in 2 months, but if we could we'd probably find the mortality rate to be much lower and have a better profile for who's really at risk.

What tweet? That sounds ridiculous. Current estimated mortality of 2%-3% is likely way too high w/ asymptomatic people transmitting it but not getting tested. 2% would mean 24mill cases. Doesn't look like we'd be able to test 24mill in 2 months, but if we could we'd probably find the mortality rate to be much lower and have a better profile for who's really at risk.

The tweet TheDude posted (277) about 480,000 dying in two months.

You know what’s weird? I work in healthcare for a leading health care system and yet the panic on forums here trumps the hell out of the worry of our administrators.

What makes it weird is the people that are freaking out the most are.... and maybe it’s sheer coincidence.... people who are massive liberals and anti-Trumpers.

What would Liberals have to gain from making this political?

The tweet TheDude posted (277) about 480,000 dying in two months.
Found it on twitter. Guy who tweeted it out got feedback from people familiar w/ the context. It's not 480,000 dying in two months. That's American Hospital Association's best guess for the whole run with the data they have now.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You know what’s weird? I work in healthcare for a leading health care system and yet the panic on forums here trumps the hell out of the worry of our administrators.

What makes it weird is the people that are freaking out the most are.... and maybe it’s sheer coincidence.... people who are massive liberals and anti-Trumpers.

Are you a doctor?

Reactions: 829305
Found it on twitter. Guy who tweeted it out got feedback from people familiar w/ the context. It's not 480,000 dying in two months. That's American Hospital Association's best guess for the whole run with the data they have now.

Yes, that’s correct. Which makes linking the original tweet without context bad IMO.

Also it wasn’t the AHA. See further in the thread and it specifically says this is not the work of the AHA somewhere.

Of course not.

Seems like we should listen to what the experts are saying instead of jumping into conspiracies, don’t you think?

I work for doctors. And I work for bosses of doctors. When there is something for the hospitals to worry about, I’ll know.

I’m not talking about the disease itself. I’m talking about stuff like the hysteria going around about hospital and ICU shortages within the next 60 days. If our doctors and administrators were as worried about that as liberal message board posters, I’d know.

Ahh. Looks like one professional's current guesswork.

Right.

-Incorrect data in the tweet blowing up the 2 month effected and death rate.
-Incorrect citation of where the data comes from.

And yet I keep seeing it reposted by libs. One of them I corrected with the info you just shared and he responded “I know I read that”. So he KNEW the info was wrong and still reposted the tweet without the caveat that the info was wrong.

That’s a tactic I’d probably use if I was trying to push an agenda.

Right.

-Incorrect data in the tweet blowing up the 2 month effected and death rate.
-Incorrect citation of where the data comes from.

And yet I keep seeing it reposted by libs. One of them I corrected with the info you just shared and he responded “I know I read that”. So he KNEW the info was wrong and still reposted the tweet without the caveat that the info was wrong.

That’s a tactic I’d probably use if I was trying to push an agenda.

Sucks we don't have the capacity for testing to get better data right now.

Reactions: anon_65nwv98c2idwc
I work for doctors. And I work for bosses of doctors. When there is something for the hospitals to worry about, I’ll know.

I’m not talking about the disease itself. I’m talking about stuff like the hysteria going around about hospital and ICU shortages within the next 60 days. If our doctors and administrators were as worried about that as liberal message board posters, I’d know.
What other message boards do you visit? Have you been to the mainboard? It doesn’t lean left and there’s a 7000+ response thread on the topic.

Rotoworld, The Fort
Ok. You have access to the mainboard, correct? There’s a guy on there who works at the Nebraska medical center where many people with the virus are being sent. He’s been posting about this for a couple of weeks now with updates. It’s good stuff. You should check it out. His tag is @big_pp

It’s just funny that you tell me to trust the experts on whether or not we should be freaking out about hospital overload.

That IS what I’m doing. If you held the doors open for me I could three putt into the ICU administrators office, the MCU’s administrators office, and our ED. I worked in all three of those units today.

When my bosses and doctors tell me to start worrying and hospital overload, I’ll worry.

It’s just funny that you tell me to trust the experts on whether or not we should be freaking out about hospital overload.

That IS what I’m doing. If you held the doors open for me I could three putt into the ICU administrators office, the MCU’s administrators office, and our ED. I worked in all three of those units today.

When my bosses and doctors tell me to start worrying and hospital overload, I’ll worry.
Fair enough.

Why do you think this is a liberal agenda? Do you not think that sounds kind of crazy?

I'm a liberal and couldn't care less about it. Everyone I know who is worried are conservatives tbh. I think it is all about what you look for and who you are around though. To be fair, I generally don't pay attention to famous people and what they say though.

I'm not going to say its a liberal agenda, however, these days the only way to get people to pay attention to anything is with fear/hype. Every couple years there is a new outbreak that will wipe out X number of people. Are we that good at stopping these outbreaks or is the "awareness" part of what helps stop it? Probably. Heck, I was told they are out of bread, clorox, and toilet paper here at my walmart. People not traveling for vacations this year, etc...

Its the same way with weather. Thunderstorm pops up here and the weatherman is begging god for mercy and telling everyone to seek shelter. 10 minutes later after nothing happens its a "we made it through this one fine, but stay tuned for another potential pop up later this evening". .

I'm a full supporter of being prepared. This outbreak "could" kill hundreds of thousands, over run our systems, etc... However creating panic like some seem to want will cause repercussions (health care providers and pharmacies not able to get supplies, economic impacts, etc...)

I'm not going to say its a liberal agenda, however, these days the only way to get people to pay attention to anything is with fear/hype. Every couple years there is a new outbreak that will wipe out X number of people. Are we that good at stopping these outbreaks or is the "awareness" part of what helps stop it? Probably. Heck, I was told they are out of bread, clorox, and toilet paper here at my walmart. People not traveling for vacations this year, etc...

Its the same way with weather. Thunderstorm pops up here and the weatherman is begging god for mercy and telling everyone to seek shelter. 10 minutes later after nothing happens its a "we made it through this one fine, but stay tuned for another potential pop up later this evening". .

I'm a full supporter of being prepared. This outbreak "could" kill hundreds of thousands, over run our systems, etc... However creating panic like some seem to want will cause repercussions (health care providers and pharmacies not able to get supplies, economic impacts, etc...)

Politicians always play off fear. From gay marriage turning into some weird America people don't recognize to background checks leading to people taking your guns to restricting abortion taking us back to the stone ages both sides are just dishonest fearmongering losers.

I disagree about the weather though. I think it is the one area where some fearmongering is probably justified.

I'm not saying hyping up the outbreak OR the weather is a bad thing. I've been in dozens of situations that lives are on the line due to weather. Its just an unintended side effect of those incorrect predictions is complacency. Which also kills.

Fair enough.

Why do you think this is a liberal agenda? Do you not think that sounds kind of crazy?

It’s just the the people that seem to be the ones shitting bricks over this are the same posters who have been massive libs over the past few years. TheDude is basically Dattier with his politics and 95% of the threads he starts have a political agenda to them. You might not notice it.

But maybe it’s all a coincidence.

I’m just pointing out how weird it is that the massive flaming liberals are the ones more worried than anyone.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Fair enough.

Do you think the democrats would benefit from a tanked economy during an election year?

Do you think that making the general public buy into the hysteria could help tank the economy?

Maybe that’s why liberal puppets like TheDude post tweets with false and inflated stats. Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

And I’m not saying the Coronoavirus shouldn’t be taken seriously. If you think that then you’re missing my point.

Last edited:
I'm a liberal and couldn't care less about it. Everyone I know who is worried are conservatives tbh. I think it is all about what you look for and who you are around though. To be fair, I generally don't pay attention to famous people and what they say though.

The average liberal is probably level headed about this. It’s the #notmypresident libs that have shoved every scandal down our throats for 4 years who insist on this being a catastrophe. TheDude is an example and him being the one to start this thread is less than surprising.

The average liberal is probably level headed about this. It’s the #notmypresident libs that have shoved every scandal down our throats for 4 years who insist on this being a catastrophe. TheDude is an example and him being the one to start this thread is less than surprising.

Yeah, crazy liberals and crazy conservatives are freaking nuts man. I'm with you. I know several of both. There is no reasoning with them. I have a cousin that is so far left she probably labels me a hard core right winger, lol.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Yeah, crazy liberals and crazy conservatives are freaking nuts man. I'm with you. I know several of both. There is no reasoning with them. I have a cousin that is so far left she probably labels me a hard core right winger, lol.

I get why they’d do it. If Bernie was president and I wanted to make him look bad in an election year I’d probably post fake news tweets about him, too.

I don’t get why someone could dismiss that as a possibility in a case like TheDude.

Do you think the democrats would benefit from a tanked economy during an election year?

Do you think that making the general public buy into the hysteria could help tank the economy?

Maybe that’s why liberal puppets like TheDude post tweets with false and inflated stats. Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

And I’m not saying the Coronoavirus shouldn’t be taken seriously. If you think that then you’re missing my point.
The liberal media is already calling this Trumps Katrina. Of course they’re hyping this to make Trump look bad and get him out of office. It’s no coincidence they’ve blown this thing up.

This thread says it all. Read through the thread. At first, all articles were bashing Trumps restrictions and actions when this thing startled. Then they weirdly changed to Trump mismanaged this whole thing and didn’t do enough. This is just the latest bullshit from the MSM and Dems to try and retake the WH.

Reactions: Mclovin-
I don't understand how politicizing it would help anyone. Everyone knows whether they are voting for Trump or not. I agree if the liberals are trying to promote it for political reason it's dumb. I don't think Trump helps with the silly things he says though. I don't know if he stopped if it would matter or not though. Probably not. Those against him are as ridiculous as he is. None of them can be trusted. I would prefer that none of them speak, which is why I don't really pay much attention to the news.

Ahh. Looks like one professional's current guesswork.

Glad this isn't the work of the AHA, but I've got to point out... none of those two twitter accounts are anything medical related... they are, in fact, one is political lobbying group.

And the guy who put the slide was presenting it at a hospital conference, no? So while it might be one persons (or several peoples, because its doubtful that the research behind it is truly just one persons work) view, its not one that is so outlandish that hospitals aren't taking it seriously.

I am really baffled by how much of the conversation is about "the media" and "famous people." Do people really think that the CDC and the WHO and the US military and entire countries are worried about what the media and famous people are saying? It seems like a lot of people are getting so worked up over their paranoia about "Hollywood elite" and "the media" and "famous people" that they are totally ignoring the actual underlying issue.

Guys, here is the thing:

This isn't ebola. It isn't an "end game" sort of thing. I'm not seeing anyone building bunkers and buying ammo. So it isn't that.

But it absolutely appears to be very serious, not just in terms of the deaths it can cause, but also in how contagious it is (making all of us with elderly family and friends and coworkers and neighbors potential carriers), how deadly it is compared to the viruses and sicknesses we are used to dealing with on an everyday basis, and how long it sits without symptoms, which can not only make anyone who gets it more able to transfer it without knowing it, but which also makes the idea of social distancing and work closures a MUCH more long term thing, which may have truly massive impacts on our national economy as well as on our individual economic situations.

Can I just suggest... don't let peoples paranoia about "the media" or "Donald Trump" or "the liberals" to then cause you to not accept and process actual information as it comes in from around the world. Be smart, be sensible, check sources, and be careful, and understand this will likely get a lot worse before it gets better (especially if you live in a place with any sort of population density at all), and be at least somewhat prepared for that.

Glad this isn't the work of the AHA, but I've got to point out... none of those two twitter accounts are anything medical related... they are, in fact, political lobbying groups.

And the guy who put the slide was presenting it at a hospital conference, no? So while it might be one persons (or several peoples) view, its not one that is so outlandish that hospitals aren't taking it seriously.

I am really baffled by how much of the conversation is about "the media" and "famous people." Do people really think that the CDC and the WHO and the US military and entire countries are worried about the media and famous people?

Guys, here is the thing:

This isn't ebola. It isn't an "end game" sort of thing. I'm not seeing anyone building bunkers and buying ammo.

But it absolutely appears to be very serious, not just in terms of the deaths it can cause, but also in how contagious it is (making all of us with elderly family and friends and coworkers and neighbors potential carriers), how deadly it is compared to the viruses and sicknesses we are used to dealing with on an everyday basis, and how long it sits without symptoms, which can not only make anyone who gets it more able to transfer it without knowing it, but which also makes the idea of social distancing and work closures a MUCH more long term thing, which may have truly massive impacts on our national economy as well as on our individual economic situations.

Can I just suggest... don't let peoples paranoia about "the media" or "Donald Trump" or "the liberals" to then not accept and process actual information as it comes in from around the world. Be smart, be sensible, and be careful, and understand this will likely get a lot worse before it gets better (especially if you live in a place with any sort of population density at all), and be at least somewhat prepared for that.

You really don't see a difference in an official statement/numbers from the AHA and one experts opinion on the virus?

On a personal note, people in education in northern NJ are expecting school closures... the county I live in has a HUGE population of immigrants, and is the most densely populated county in the most densely populated state in the country. LOTS of Asians, with a LOT of movement back and forth to Asia... and many of those people don't communicate with the local government organizations to let them know where they have been. (Not to mention the fact that we don't seem to be doing any screening of people coming into the country.) The state is starting to acknowledge that the schools may need to do this. It is a lot to handle, though... the administration has started to talk about how we will handle a several week shutdown, and its clear that A) they aren't quite sure how to deliver instruction during this time and B) that the teachers are going to end up doing a LOT more work to prep for this, most of which will be to satisfy the state, which is slightly annoying... I don't mind working if it will help the kids, but when you are working simply to satisfy a government office... blech.

My guess is that my particular district will be closed after this week... no Board of Ed wants to be the center of an outbreak, in terms of PR and in terms of legal liability... the motto of every district isn't "educate your children!" but "avoid lawsuits!"

Last edited:
It became political from the outset. Pelosi and Schumer made sure of that. The right people are handling the virus. The media and the Dims are a waste.
I’ve been following this since January. It didn’t become political until recently and it only became political by online people (atleast that I’ve noticed). Do you think NBC Nightly News, et al, are making this all about Trump when they are leading with 4 minutes of a story that is all things coronavirus but then talk about how Trump is handling it for 25 seconds? Trump gets brought up because he’s the POTUS and because he’s said some very dismissive things about it’s effects and how it can spread. He does seem to be taking it more seriously now so kudos to him. And when I say by taking it more seriously, he’s now basically stepping back and letting the doctors talk about it while he does his Trump jokes.

And I’m sure @SNU0821 can atleast agree with this, the market was due for a correction and uncontrollable things like this have always had an influence on kickstarting those corrections. I mean, nobody really thought we were gonna see a 35,000 DOW by Election Day, did they?

What sucks the most for me though is oil is getting crushed and now it looks like the Saudi’s are going to flood the market with their supply. It’s a war and US shale companies are going to see a ton of casualties. I figured something would happen fairly soon. Oil didn’t have a bright outlook for 2020 but this is pretty devastating for the short term.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-oil-output-hike-beginning-all-out-price-war

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT