Sold out: LSU vs McNeese St.

Discussion in 'College Baseball Clubhouse' started by PokesMSU-WalkingBoss, Mar 8, 2017.

1. PokesMSU-WalkingBoss

PokesMSU-WalkingBoss Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

McNeese baseball coach Justin Hill encourages his team at the mound. (Rick Hickman / American Press)

Aidan Anderson to start for McNeese against LSU
    Last Modified: Monday, March 06, 2017 4:16 PM
    By Chandler Rome / The American Press

Aidan Anderson’s received a big reward for his most promising outing of the season.

McNeese State’s sophomore right-hander who struck out four Prairie View A&M hitters across two innings of no-hit ball in Saturday’s 7-2 series finale win will start Wednesday’s much-anticipated showdown with No. 6 LSU at Joe Miller Ballpark.

“I wouldn’t say I was more locked in, you’re always locked in when you’re out there, but stuff seemed to go my way,” Anderson said Monday. “Throwing in the zone and trusting the system, trusting (pitching) coach (Cory) Barton and everyone and it just worked out.”

Anderson sports an unsightly 13.50 earned run average only because he’s thrown 5 1 / 3 innings. He’s allowed 12 hits and struck out eight in that span, walking just two batters.

Anderson threw only 10 2 / 3 innings as a freshman last season, striking out 10 and walking six while permitting 10 hits.

“With him, I think it’s a confidence thing,” Barton said. “He just has to get over that last year, as a freshman, he got hit around a little bit. His stuff is plenty good enough, he’s got some of the best stuff on the team, it’s just a matter of being able to execute when he needs to and the confident side of knowing that he’s capable of doing it and then executing that.”

Anderson will hover in the high 80s with his fastball and throw two breaking pitched to complement a changeup. Those aforementioned statistics indicate he will fill the strike zone and limit walks, what Cowboys coach Justin Hill requests in a game against a team this elite.

“He does all the things you’d want to for a pitcher, throws the ball in the strike zone and throws a variety of pitches for a strike,” Hill said. “He can field his position, control the running game and he does those things very well. As far as trying to getting off to a good start, he’s as good a matchup probably as we got.”

Anderson’s a Beaumont native, meaning he’s got little affinity or history with LSU. Even if he did, Barton scoffed at the thought he’d need to calm his pitcher or place the game in proper perspective before he took the mound.

“With our guys, I expect them to be mature enough to be able to handle whether it’s LSU or the Yankees or Prairie View or Grambling or whoever is on our schedule,” Barton said. “It doesn’t matter. That’s something that I expect them to be mature enough to handle that side of it.”

Added Anderson: “LSU wasn’t just the team out there (in Beaumont). To me, they’re just another team. They’re a really good team, but so are we. I’m just going to treat it like we’re playing anybody.”

Gates open early, Parapokes expected

Gates to Joe Miller Ballpark will open at 4 p.m. for Wednesday’s game, McNeese announced Monday, with first pitch coming at 6:07 p.m.

McNeese’s Parapokes are expected to parachute into the field at 5:46 p.m. and a ceremonial first pitch will be thrown at 5:51 for the sold-out game that expects a crowd of more than 3,000

[​IMG]

septimusgreen likes this.