ADVERTISEMENT

So you think ESPN will be tweaking their "BPI" this off-season?

nole96

Oct 9, 2002
This has to be the most ridiculous ranking of two teams that I've ever seen, in any sport.

Purdue #13
FSU #15

Purdue is 14-13
FSU is 22-4

And if that's not enough, we even have a head-to-head meeting to go by, with FSU winning.

So a team that is 18 games over .500 is ranked behind a team that is 1 game over .500 that they also beat on the court.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

This has to be the most ridiculous ranking of two teams that I've ever seen, in any sport.

Purdue #13
FSU #15

Purdue is 14-13
FSU is 22-4

And if that's not enough, we even have a head-to-head meeting to go by, with FSU winning.

So a team that is 18 games over .500 is ranked behind a team that is 1 game over .500 that they also beat on the court.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi
Kentucky held the kenpom top three offense to well below season average and we dropped two spots.

this season isn’t for computers

Kenpom has 21-5 UK basically equivalent with a 12-12 Minnesota team. Every system has its' flaws.

Purdue's weird. They've smashed some good teams. Their record is the perfect example for this wide open CBB season.

Florida State is currently projected as a 2 seed on bracketmatrix. Purdue is an 11 seed. There's a vast difference between merit and computer models. Purdue has played twice as many Quad 1 games - and they've crushed some really good teams like Virginia (+29), Michigan State (+29), and Iowa (+36). The computer isn't going to forget those games. And they have a lot of close losses to good teams, too.

I think Kentucky is an anomaly because they have one bad loss to Utah, and another very bad loss in Evansville. KenPom has Utah at #117 and Evansville at #284. The computer doesn't throw out bad-games. It's the totality of the season. Kentucky is better than KenPom and the BPI suggest. Probably FSU, too.

Reactions: MGC_07
they've crushed some really good teams like Virginia (+29), Michigan State (+29), and Iowa (+36). The computer isn't going to forget those games.
They've also been blown out six times. Funny how the computer forgets about those.

They've also been blown out six times. Funny how the computer forgets about those.

I agree the computer models have some error to it. Would be interesting to see what the numbers would look like if you threw out the best and worst games? Although I wouldn't necessarily say Purdue has been blow out 6 times. I take it you define that as double-digits. I don't think 10-12 point losses are blowouts necessarily. At any rate, yes, Purdue is overvalued in both of the models. Fortunately, the committee doesn't overvalue those numbers. FSU will most likely be a 2 or 3 seed. And Purdue will remain on the bubble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT