So you think ESPN will be tweaking their "BPI" this off-season?

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by nole96, Feb 19, 2020.

1. nole96

nole96 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This has to be the most ridiculous ranking of two teams that I've ever seen, in any sport.

Purdue #13
    FSU #15

Purdue is 14-13
    FSU is 22-4

And if that's not enough, we even have a head-to-head meeting to go by, with FSU winning.

So a team that is 18 games over .500 is ranked behind a team that is 1 game over .500 that they also beat on the court.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

2. ThroughBlue

ThroughBlue Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Kentucky held the kenpom top three offense to well below season average and we dropped two spots.

this season isn’t for computers

3. HRTheCard

HRTheCard Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Kenpom loves Purdue as well.

FSU - 21
    Purdue - 25

4. Demarcus Kidd-Miller

Demarcus Kidd-Miller Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Kenpom has 21-5 UK basically equivalent with a 12-12 Minnesota team. Every system has its' flaws.

Purdue's weird. They've smashed some good teams. Their record is the perfect example for this wide open CBB season.

5. dukedevilz

dukedevilz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Florida State is currently projected as a 2 seed on bracketmatrix. Purdue is an 11 seed. There's a vast difference between merit and computer models. Purdue has played twice as many Quad 1 games - and they've crushed some really good teams like Virginia (+29), Michigan State (+29), and Iowa (+36). The computer isn't going to forget those games. And they have a lot of close losses to good teams, too.

I think Kentucky is an anomaly because they have one bad loss to Utah, and another very bad loss in Evansville. KenPom has Utah at #117 and Evansville at #284. The computer doesn't throw out bad-games. It's the totality of the season. Kentucky is better than KenPom and the BPI suggest. Probably FSU, too.

MGC_07 likes this.
  6. nole96

nole96 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

They've also been blown out six times. Funny how the computer forgets about those.

7. dukedevilz

dukedevilz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree the computer models have some error to it. Would be interesting to see what the numbers would look like if you threw out the best and worst games? Although I wouldn't necessarily say Purdue has been blow out 6 times. I take it you define that as double-digits. I don't think 10-12 point losses are blowouts necessarily. At any rate, yes, Purdue is overvalued in both of the models. Fortunately, the committee doesn't overvalue those numbers. FSU will most likely be a 2 or 3 seed. And Purdue will remain on the bubble.