ADVERTISEMENT

So who wants to see 4 floor officials instead of the 3 current zebras?

Should the NCAA add a 4th official to the game to help call games more consistently?

• Total voters

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
Would adding a 4th official to the floor at the college level (at the very least) help to improve the quality of officiating we see night in and night out, given that this has become an increasingly popular point of discussion (the quality of officiating, that is....)?

And as an aside, would it make officials working women's college basketball games actually give a sh** about the job they're working?..............

It was better when we had 2. There is always a junior official getting overruled during games.

Basketball in my view is the hardest sport to officiate. The kids are so fast and athletic that it is hard to keep up with them. More officials does not necessarily add to the quality of the product but often simply add to the complexity.

What I would like to see is the officials having to do post-game interviews to explain some of the inexplicable calls that they make. One call right from this week is: Doug Shows should explain why there were two T's called when the 5 UT players on the court went into the UK bench to retrieve one of their players who had ran into the UK bench trying to get the ball. No one did a GD thing to him but the team charged anyway. They should have to explain some of the reasons for one coach getting kicked out of games and others do similar things and never get a T.

But most of all the same officials at Auburn will call a totally different game than at Alabama. Home court should not be as big of an advantage as it is. Apparently refs are totally influenced by the crowds. Often it is not the differential of fouls called but on the home court those players always get free throws. It is totally stupid.

Now Borden is going to get on here and tell you the total opposite but I stick with my points above.

Let us go back to 2 officials because 2 officials make fewer bad calls than 3 officials do.

“Turn on any major conference game, and you will see arm bars on ball handlers not in the post, handchecking, bumping and chucking of cutters, illegally riding cutters and screeners off of their paths, and overt physicality in the post area, including a lack of enforcement of verticality on shooters. Whatever you see on the floor in major conferences this season is not basketball and would not be allowed in the NBA or FIBA. Hell, it would not be allowed in the NFL on wide receivers. It is wrong and needs to be seriously addressed. Coaches are confounded and complaining, and so are the bloviating gasbags who announce the games.” - Bilas

“Turn on any major conference game, and you will see arm bars on ball handlers not in the post, handchecking, bumping and chucking of cutters, illegally riding cutters and screeners off of their paths, and overt physicality in the post area, including a lack of enforcement of verticality on shooters. Whatever you see on the floor in major conferences this season is not basketball and would not be allowed in the NBA or FIBA. Hell, it would not be allowed in the NFL on wide receivers. It is wrong and needs to be seriously addressed. Coaches are confounded and complaining, and so are the bloviating gasbags who announce the games.” - Bilas
Bilas also changes his mind game to game depending on which team he is rooting for.

It was better when we had 2. There is always a junior official getting overruled during games.

Basketball in my view is the hardest sport to officiate. The kids are so fast and athletic that it is hard to keep up with them. More officials does not necessarily add to the quality of the product but often simply add to the complexity.

What I would like to see is the officials having to do post-game interviews to explain some of the inexplicable calls that they make. One call right from this week is: Doug Shows should explain why there were two T's called when the 5 UT players on the court went into the UK bench to retrieve one of their players who had ran into the UK bench trying to get the ball. No one did a GD thing to him but the team charged anyway. They should have to explain some of the reasons for one coach getting kicked out of games and others do similar things and never get a T.

But most of all the same officials at Auburn will call a totally different game than at Alabama. Home court should not be as big of an advantage as it is. Apparently refs are totally influenced by the crowds. Often it is not the differential of fouls called but on the home court those players always get free throws. It is totally stupid.

Now Borden is going to get on here and tell you the total opposite but I stick with my points above.

Let us go back to 2 officials because 2 officials make fewer bad calls than 3 officials do.
The one thing I'll agree with Borden on is that 2 officials is not the way to go. Fewer eyes may seem like a solution, but that's only a matter of whether you want fewer calls made or not, plain and simple.......

But we're talking about across the board (missed calls, bad calls, no calls, reviews etc).

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I don't agree with bilas about defenders using the arm bar to much. Offensive players are allowed to carry the ever living **** outta the ball in present time. Its damn near start stop dribbling. You cant let the offense have this huge advantage and not allow a defender to hold his ground.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
They should have a ref courtside watching a tv screen.
I agree with you on that. Officials have this code where they rarely overturn another official's call. I hate this more than anything, an offical making a call that couldn't have possibly seen it. They think there's a foul when there isn't one. I saw an offical make a call the other night, that he couldn't have possibly seen what actually occured. That's blatant bad officiating.

ADVERTISEMENT