ADVERTISEMENT

So is this the end of the NET Rankings, after just one year?

Az st beat 4 top 50kp teams and lost to 5 100+.

St. John’s has a 327NCSOS and went 8-10 in a weak BE.

TCU 6 top 50 KP wins and didn’t lose to a team outside the top 100.

Clemson only lost to one team outside the top 50.

NcState 5 top 50 KP wins, 2 losses to 100+ teams but their 3rd worse loss? 17 ranked UofL, 9 losses to teams inside the top 17 KP.

NET worked great in seeding IMO. The last 4 in is a debate as usual, but honestly it’s not like title contenders were snubbed. I like the general template they used in seeding.

NET worked great in seeding IMO. The last 4 in is a debate as usual, but honestly it’s not like title contenders were snubbed. I like the general template they used in seeding.
I think FSU is a title contender (they certainly have the resume this year) and they were definitely screwed by seeding. No 27-win team from the ACC had ever gotten worse than a 1 or 2 seed, and FSU got a 4. Inexplicable. Not only that, but they got shipped to Hartford for a virtual road game against Vermont.

Really. You must really like your bracket. Some others would disagree.

I think FSU is a title contender (they certainly have the resume this year) and they were definitely screwed by seeding. No 27-win team from the ACC had ever gotten worse than a 1 or 2 seed, and FSU got a 4. Inexplicable. Not only that, but they got shipped to Hartford for a virtual road game against Vermont.

I’ll add to that. Gonzaga has a 1-2 record vs the top 25 teams they played, yet, they’re a 1 seed. Houston played a shit schedule and had a win vs a LSU team still trying to figure things out. They got a 3 seed. Miss St. got a 5 seed based on? Belmont has to play a play in despite having more impressive wins than Gonzaga. Then there’s Auburn. Despite their impressive record and them mowing through the SEC tourney they got a 5 seed.

Their NET and KP rankings have them where they should be. If they can’t handle Vermont 3 hours from their home then they aren’t a title contender.

The committee used all its ACC good Will on putting UNC as a one seed.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Their NET and KP rankings have them where they should be. If they can’t handle Vermont 3 hours from their home then they aren’t a title contender.
Not worried about Vermont. I'm just saying a 27-win team from the strongest conference in the country who played five games vs #1 seeds (most in the nation) and also beat three different major conference champions should've been rewarded with a couple games in their geographic region. The NCAA even created it's own rule that states, and I quote-

“To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round.”

per section III of https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...9/how-field-68-teams-picked-march-madness?amp

They broke their own rule.

I think FSU fans are making far too big of a deal about the seeding. This year had about 10 teams that all had the type of resume that would typically be a 2 or 3 seed (plus 4-5 more that were 1 seed resumes). That’s just the way it is.

Fellow Nole fans keep clamoring about Purdue...which will likely have to play Villanova in Hartford in the second round. No thank you.

We got a solid draw. That’s what matter most.

Not worried about Vermont. I'm just saying a 27-win team from the strongest conference in the country who played five games vs #1 seeds (most in the nation) and also beat three different major conference champions should've been rewarded with a couple games in their geographic region. The NCAA even created it's own rule that states, and I quote-

“To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round.”

per section III of https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...9/how-field-68-teams-picked-march-madness?amp

They broke their own rule.

FSU also gets the benefit of an overseeded Marquette as their 5 and the worst 1 seed in their region. If geography is your only beef then you got it good. Matchups are favorable which is the most important thing in advancing far.

Az st beat 4 top 50kp teams and lost to 5 100+.

St. John’s has a 327NCSOS and went 8-10 in a weak BE.

TCU 6 top 50 KP wins and didn’t lose to a team outside the top 100.

Clemson only lost to one team outside the top 50.

NcState 5 top 50 KP wins, 2 losses to 100+ teams but their 3rd worse loss? 17 ranked UofL, 9 losses to teams inside the top 17 KP.

5 top 50 wins in the KP should get you in when 9 of your 11 losses are to the top 17 in the country. 5 losses to NCAA 1 seeds. We had 2 quad 3 losses, but one of those was the first game after our starting PG got hurt and missed the whole game (which the NCAA claims they take into consideration).

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
5 top 50 wins in the KP should get you in when 9 of your 11 losses are to the top 17 in the country. 5 losses to NCAA 1 seeds. We had 2 quad 3 losses, but one of those was the first game after our starting PG got hurt and missed the whole game (which the NCAA claims they take into consideration).

The NCAA has always grandstanded towards soft OOC scheduling. Coaches need to realize that if you play a cupcake OOC you are basically removed from at large consideration. They would have been better off taking 3 Ls to top 50 teams in OOC than beating who they beat. Right or wrong it has been a consistent punishment and your coach should have done better.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
The NCAA has always grandstanded towards soft OOC scheduling. Coaches need to realize that if you play a cupcake OOC you are basically removed from at large consideration. They would have been better off taking 3 Ls to top 50 teams in OOC than beating who they beat. Right or wrong it has been a consistent punishment and your coach should have done better.

St. John’s had the 327th ranked NCSOS and went 8-10 in a weak BE and got an at large bid. Explain that one..

Reactions: nole96
Eight teams outside the top 280 of the NET. NC State fans should be pissed at whoever in their athletic department is in charge of scheduling.

Plus I wonder how fresh this was is in the committee's mind:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7heels
St. John’s had the 327th ranked NCSOS and went 8-10 in a weak BE and got an at large bid. Explain that one..

Im not explaining anything, SJU had the same risk, just be warned if you soften up your OOC the NCAA can and usually will punish you for it. St. Mary's last year, NC State this year.

We had something insane like 6 schools who fired their old coaches and hired new coaches this offseason, our schedule was always going to be mediocre, but those transitions on OOC teams led to much worse than normal results.

That said, I do think we should clearly be scheduling more 100-200 type teams than 200-300 type teams, I'd agree that you're just asking for trouble on those and our coach needs to do better in that regard.

NET #73 St. John's, #63 Arizona State, and #61 Minnesota made it in, but not #33 NC State or #35 Clemson. I think it's safe to say the committee simply picked and choosed where they wanted to use it.
St, John's was 9-12 over their last 21 games and still were put inn. What a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT