ADVERTISEMENT

So.........How long before BBN runs Keion out of town....

I like how he says he hasn't educated himself enough on the topic to give an opinion, then proceeds to give an opinion. Sadly, that's how most Americans approach topics these days.... Read a headline and assume instead of actually researching the topic or waiting on facts.
This 100%....I am surprised Cal let this go down. Seems to me Cal would have said something to the fact of, "give a no comment", etc, etc...Its a bad look for the kid. ANd look, he's a great kid, TBH. Its just how some folks are today...

Reactions: cdbearde
This 100%....I am surprised Cal let this go down. Seems to me Cal would have said something to the fact of, "give a no comment", etc, etc...Its a bad look for the kid. ANd look, he's a great kid, TBH. Its just how some folks are today...
Calipari has recently started his Minority Leadership Initiative. He's encouraging progress on civil matters.

I'm betting he leaves after his sophomore year. He should really shine this season.
Great player....Terrific young man, who is well spoken. I expect big things from him. Just hope the fans take it easy on the kid..He made a mistake. No reason to run him off.

He’s not the only person on Uks campus who has similar feelings. Even as a rival, I feel it’s all a bit overblown. It was Rupp arena when he committed to play there, there just wasn’t such National turmoil regarding race and racism during that time.

As with most things in life, I don’t think he will face much backlash, bc he’s expected to be one of UKs best players this year. Had a walk-on or end of the bench guy said it, they might have ended up regretting it, but personally I don’t think Brooks has anything to worry about.

He’s not the only person on Uks campus who has similar feelings. Even as a rival, I feel it’s all a bit overblown. It was Rupp arena when he committed to play there, there just wasn’t such National turmoil regarding race and racism during that time.

As with most things in life, I don’t think he will face much backlash, bc he’s expected to be one of UKs best players this year. Had a walk-on or end of the bench guy said it, they might have ended up regretting it, but personally I don’t think Brooks has anything to worry about.
True, BUT.....He's the only hoops guy to share those feelings. He's a great kid...well spoken. I was surprised he said this. I think what got peoples goat was him saying he wasn't that educated on the subject, but what he does know, he feels a name change is needed...For Rupp names stands for. I mean, that's a pretty lazy statement. It seems as a statement of "wanting to fit in", instead of being your person...

I think it blows over............

After he drops 35 on Louisville, of course..Winking

Haha prolly. I mean you don’t have to be super educated on Rupp to know he has been quoted saying and doing some pretty racist stuff. Calling black opponents “coons”, refusing to enter the houses of black kids he recruited, etc. but it’s not like he was some kind of unicorn in that regards, in some ways I think he’s become a victim of his own success. Had he been some run of the mill, .500 coach, none of those things he said or did (in a completely different era of history, where such things weren’t looked upon like they are in today’s climate) would be largely forgotten imo.

But on the other hand, eff UK. I hope they change it to Piggly Wiggly arena, although that would fit much better with their football coach.

Unfortunately for cal I don’t think Moobs arena will ever get off the ground.

Great player....Terrific young man, who is well spoken. I expect big things from him. Just hope the fans take it easy on the kid..He made a mistake. No reason to run him off.

Made a mistake? How? He was asked a question, he said he wasn't fully informed but thought Rupp's name should be taken off. Nothing wrong there at all.

Made a mistake? How? He was asked a question, he said he wasn't fully informed but thought Rupp's name should be taken off. Nothing wrong there at all.
Meh....Yes and no. You admit you are uneducated on his history, but feel his name should taken off because of what his name represents.....If you are not educated on his history, then how do you know what his name represents? It comes off as "following in line..." The "Mistake" was saying he wasn't educated about Rupps past...He should have just said, "From what I have learned, I think ..........

JMO, friend.

Most fans appreciate the kids ability to speak his mind. Good for him
I mean I know how this will be accepted, and I somewhat agree. But folks over at Rupps, don't feel that way. Nor on facebook. I mean the backlash led to Cal going to Keions defense on social media...Telling BBN, "Be mad at me....not a 19-year old kid."

FTR, I love the kid. And have no problem with someone voicing their opinion...Just felt he step OOB a bit. The comment of not being educated about Rupp, preceded by saying his name should be removed, IMO was a bad move.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

No, he's getting blasted on twitter and on Rupps Rafters.

His comments seem a bit off. It appears he's trying to say that the name of the arena should change because Rupp's first name resembles someone that really was racist and that is just wrong.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think these kids can have an opinion and say pretty much how they feel, as long as it’s in a respectful manner.
The left doesn’t have to be respectful at this point in time. They've been allowed to say whatever they want, burn whatever they want, damage whatever they want, loot whatever they want and accuse people of being racist whenever they want and the media eats it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
some people on the UK boards are arguing and fear mongering that if you changed the Rupp name , it would be getting rid of 4 titles and all those wins .......

Isnt that a stupid argument?

I think its overblown and there needs to be proven evidence to go that far.......... but if there becomes a big movement ... I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit ... just change the name and have UK make money off of it

Last edited:
I mean I know how this will be accepted, and I somewhat agree. But folks over at Rupps, don't feel that way. Nor on facebook. I mean the backlash led to Cal going to Keions defense on social media...Telling BBN, "Be mad at me....not a 19-year old kid."

FTR, I love the kid. And have no problem with someone voicing their opinion...Just felt he step OOB a bit. The comment of not being educated about Rupp, preceded by saying his name should be removed, IMO was a bad move.
This is the entirety of what Cal said:
"Big Blue Nation, I know some of you are upset with Keion’s comments regarding Rupp Arena. Let me tell you he’s a very smart person and a very conscientious young man. However you feel about what he said, my hope is you show him the respect that all of our/your players deserve.

My job is to make sure all of our players are educated on all that goes along with Coach Rupp’s name and we are going to walk through that. My plan is to get former players on a Zoom with our current guys so they can ask those players directly about Coach Rupp.

My focus has been on everything going forward, which is why we hadn’t addressed it. As I’ve said before, give these players the benefit of the doubt. If you’re unhappy with anything, be unhappy with me, not a 19-year-old who is walking through these really difficult times. I love you all."

Sounds like a good idea to me. Let them hear from players that actually played for Rupp.

"Big Blue Nation, I know some of you are upset with Keion’s comments regarding Rupp Arena. Let me tell you he’s a very smart person and a very conscientious young man. However you feel about what he said, my hope is you show him the respect that all of our/your players deserve.

My job is to make sure all of our players are educated on all that goes along with Coach Rupp’s name and we are going to walk through that. My plan is to get former players on a Zoom with our current guys so they can ask those players directly about Coach Rupp.

My focus has been on everything going forward, which is why we hadn’t addressed it. As I’ve said before, give these players the benefit of the doubt. If you’re unhappy with anything, be unhappy with me, not a 19-year-old who is walking through these really difficult times. I love you all."

Sounds like a good idea to me. Let them hear from players that actually played for Rupp.
Even as an Indiana fan, this is what I love about Cal. He has always shielded his players from things like this, and often tries to make it a teaching moment. I remember when he was coaching Memphis and a couple guys were criticized about the way they wore their hats, Cal brought it on himself to take those arrows and de-escalate and talked about how it was a great teaching moment about perception, especially as young black men, sometimes is unfair, but it's still a part of life. I don't remember the exact details of it all, but it was a great moment and Cal was very well spoken about it.

What Calipari could do at a place like Memphis is much different than let's say Kentucky

Boosters, fanbase and tradition itself.

I wouldn't actually compared the two. If this was Memphis that name most likely would be gone
Calipari is in a tough position. It is a tight rope. I couldn't advise him how to handle it.
I do know Calipari is smart enough not to put himself out there
He has players, former players and recruits to think about
But he also has the fanbase and boosters.

Some people are going to be upset no matter what

Calipari has recently started his Minority Leadership Initiative. He's encouraging progress on civil matters.

Have to...

LSU is probably the best example. Others haven't
A lot of schools with the history of Segregation are somewhat attempting to blend the HBCUs with the actual state universities.
Something that should have never happened.
I think the best way to explain it is...We can't change the past but we can change the future.

So far I think Cal has handled all of this very well. Something tells me this message is code for, "None of our current guys are gonna answer these type of questions for the time being...."

I like Brooks. Samrt kid. Just living in a time of confusion, mayhem,uncertainty, etc, etc.. Just as Cal said though---a young kid.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
What Calipari could do at a place like Memphis is much different than let's say Kentucky

Boosters, fanbase and tradition itself.

I wouldn't actually compared the two. If this was Memphis that name most likely would be gone
Calipari is in a tough position. It is a tight rope. I couldn't advise him how to handle it.
I do know Calipari is smart enough not to put himself out there
He has players, former players and recruits to think about
But he also has the fanbase and boosters.

Some people are going to be upset no matter what

Rupp was not a racist. The premise that he was underpins this crap. The lies about Rupp are stacked to the ceiling, but the few facts that get published are a very small pile. In today's political climate facts are forsaken for the cancel culture. The bigger the lie the more effective.

You can't prove a negative, but folks keep trying.

I don't know how the Kentucky fan base would react to Rupp Arena being renamed; however, if it actually happens I would expect a lot of shit from a very vocal majority with deep pockets.

Rupp built UK basketball, period.

When he’s on record calling black people coons, among other documented racial incidents, I’m not sure how so many can say He wasn’t Racists.

Now I understand that was a different time, and that stuff was more common in his day, but it doesn’t absolve him for the racists things he did and said.

Rupp was not a racist. The premise that he was underpins this crap. The lies about Rupp are stacked to the ceiling, but the few facts that get published are a very small pile. In today's political climate facts are forsaken for the cancel culture. The bigger the lie the more effective.

You can't prove a negative, but folks keep trying.

I don't know how the Kentucky fan base would react to Rupp Arena being renamed; however, if it actually happens I would expect a lot of shit from a very vocal majority with deep pockets.

Rupp built UK basketball, period.
If Rupp's first name was "Steve", he would never have the reputation he has. It literally comes down to his first name, when you hear it, your brain automatically goes to some awful sh*t.

Also, reading Brooks' comments, that's what he's trying to say. He thinks Rupp is synonymous with Hitler, because they almost share the same first name (Adolph and Adolf).

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
When he’s on record calling black people coons, among other documented racial incidents, I’m not sure how so many can say He wasn’t Racists.

Now I understand that was a different time, and that stuff was more common in his day, but it doesn’t absolve him for the racists things he did and said.
The guy that accused Rupp of calling black people "coons" said it 30 years after it supposedly happened and has since distanced himself from it. There's no proof, that I know of, that he said it.

I'm not sure if you know who John Scott is, he's the best UK historian there us. He is where I'm getting my information from.

Even if he did, it doesn't mean his name should be removed from the building, his accomplishments speak for themselves and it’s not like he was out in the town square orchestrating hangings. Also, a dude that has been at UK for all of 5 minutes and admitted to not knowing enough to make a judgment, should be the last dude having a say about removing Rupp's name. That name was just fine when he signed to play at UK. Same with the faculty that started this crap, that name was just fine when they applied for their jobs.

This cancel culture sh*t needs to stop. The left won't be happy until any and all white culture is abolished.

The guy that accused Rupp of calling black people "coons" said it 30 years after it supposedly happened and has since distanced himself from it. There's no proof, that I know of, that he said it.

I'm not sure if you know who John Scott is, he's the best UK historian there us. He is where I'm getting my information from.

Even if he did, it doesn't mean his name should be removed from the building, his accomplishments speak for themselves and it’s not like he was out in the town square orchestrating hangings. Also, a dude that has been at UK for all of 5 minutes and admitted to not knowing enough to make a judgment, should be the last dude having a say about removing Rupp's name. That name was just fine when he signed to play at UK. Same with the faculty that started this crap, that name was just fine when they applied for their jobs.

This cancel culture sh*t needs to stop. The left won't be happy until any and all white culture is abolished.
i doubt he really wants to educate himself on the matter
here is a link to JP's site
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/statistics.html

i doubt he really wants to educate himself on the matter
here is a link to JP's site
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/statistics.html
I'm not saying Rupp was racist, but I don't know that I would trust a homer's site, as impressive as it is. Do you trust the old guard Hoosier fans who worship at the alter of Bob Knight? They may have some revisionist history as well. Again I have no idea if the guy actually was or wasn't. I'm not judging here and don't have enough info for sure. JP's site is really cool though, and I'm enjoying looking through it.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
I'm not saying Rupp was racist, but I don't know that I would trust a homer's site, as impressive as it is. Do you trust the old guard Hoosier fans who worship at the alter of Bob Knight? They may have some revisionist history as well. Again I have no idea if the guy actually was or wasn't. I'm not judging here and don't have enough info for sure. JP's site is really cool though, and I'm enjoying looking through it.

his site is not making a judgement
his site provides a lot of newspaper articles,quotes from people, ect.

the dude has put some serious work into his site

University of Texas Football went through the same thing when they put DKR's name on the stadium.
Mind you this is 25 years ago so these issues aren't new.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/1996-10-04/524684/
But they made sure that all sides were shown. Even though that he didn't integrate the team until 1970 they showed that he wanted to.
Even like what Kentucky is doing they had former players speak up...

Problem back in the 60's weren't the coaches.
Was the boosters, fans and administration.

I do know CM Newton came from Kentucky and was there with Rupp and was a huge fan of integration.

Reactions: mebeblue2

Show me the records or stop your damned lies. I am not aware of any person close to Rupp who ever said that he was a racist or acted like one.

It was a different time for sure, but that can't justify your overt lies. I have a DVD documenting exactly the opposite of what you say. It is backed up by guys like Wes Unsel, Dan Issel his assistant coaches and people who fvcking knew him, not from liars like you.

Show me the records!

Homer's site?

Come on, it is straight from articles et.al.

I have added to Jon's site. It is as close to pure history as you can get.

Geeze. Hate for UK knows no bounds.

University of Texas Football went through the same thing when they put DKR's name on the stadium.
Mind you this is 25 years ago so these issues aren't new.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/1996-10-04/524684/
But they made sure that all sides were shown. Even though that he didn't integrate the team until 1970 they showed that he wanted to.
Even like what Kentucky is doing they had former players speak up...

Problem back in the 60's weren't the coaches.
Was the boosters, fans and administration.

I do know CM Newton came from Kentucky and was there with Rupp and was a huge fan of integration.

Note a correction:

CM Newton did not come from Kentucky, CM is from Florida. He played basketball at Kentucky. His first room mate at UK was Joe B. Hall.

ADVERTISEMENT