ADVERTISEMENT

So.........How long before BBN runs Keion out of town....

The guy that accused Rupp of calling black people "coons" said it 30 years after it supposedly happened and has since distanced himself from it. There's no proof, that I know of, that he said it.

I'm not sure if you know who John Scott is, he's the best UK historian there us. He is where I'm getting my information from.

Even if he did, it doesn't mean his name should be removed from the building, his accomplishments speak for themselves and it’s not like he was out in the town square orchestrating hangings. Also, a dude that has been at UK for all of 5 minutes and admitted to not knowing enough to make a judgment, should be the last dude having a say about removing Rupp's name. That name was just fine when he signed to play at UK. Same with the faculty that started this crap, that name was just fine when they applied for their jobs.

This cancel culture sh*t needs to stop. The left won't be happy until any and all white culture is abolished.

Oh I totally agree, they are taking things way to far, removing people names, statues, even the one old ass song that they always played at one of the baseball parks. Like I’ve said in a previous thread, I think it’s stupid to remove Rupps name and I’m a rival fan.

And your right I obv have no first hand knowledge of anything rupp did, just read of the many first hand accounts of him doing/saying racists things. If he never said those things, then history has been unkind to him, but I find it hard to believe that numerous people had some kind of anti rupp agenda where they all got together to get their stories right to make him out to be a racist.

But regardless, again ur right, none of it takes anything away from his accomplishments or greatness as a basketball coach.

Show me the records or stop your damned lies. I am not aware of any person close to Rupp who ever said that he was a racist or acted like one.

It was a different time for sure, but that can't justify your overt lies. I have a DVD documenting exactly the opposite of what you say. It is backed up by guys like Wes Unsel, Dan Issel his assistant coaches and people who fvcking knew him, not from liars like you.

Show me the records!

So he never called Texas Westerns or any black players coons or the N-word?

Never refused to enter the home of a black recruit?

Never had his assistants mark out black players from box scores so he wouldn’t waste his time looking at their stats.

Never allowed an effigy of the black player from Georgia hanging from a noose in UKs gym?

And moreso all the people that claimed he did any of all of those things were just jealous of UK? Sounds familiar, got it.

Reactions: AWilli6995

Never had his assistants mark out black players from box scores so he wouldn’t waste his time looking at their stats.

Never allowed an effigy of the black player from Georgia hanging from a noose in UKs gym?

And moreso all the people that claimed he did any of all of those things were just jealous of UK? Sounds familiar, got it.
Nope, not a one of your lies.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm not saying Rupp was racist, but I don't know that I would trust a homer's site, as impressive as it is. Do you trust the old guard Hoosier fans who worship at the alter of Bob Knight? They may have some revisionist history as well. Again I have no idea if the guy actually was or wasn't. I'm not judging here and don't have enough info for sure. JP's site is really cool though, and I'm enjoying looking through it.
I would trust JP Scott Long before a guy that was recruiting against Rupp. Especially since the guy backed off those claims.

Oh I totally agree, they are taking things way to far, removing people names, statues, even the one old ass song that they always played at one of the baseball parks. Like I’ve said in a previous thread, I think it’s stupid to remove Rupps name and I’m a rival fan.

And your right I obv have no first hand knowledge of anything rupp did, just read of the many first hand accounts of him doing/saying racists things. If he never said those things, then history has been unkind to him, but I find it hard to believe that numerous people had some kind of anti rupp agenda where they all got together to get their stories right to make him out to be a racist.

But regardless, again ur right, none of it takes anything away from his accomplishments or greatness as a basketball coach.
Can you link your sources concerning Rupp calling people "coons" or saying/doing other things that would make him a racist?

Again, if his first name was "Steve", we aren't even having this conversation.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

I agree with you totally. There’s been statements by people back in the day saying he did all of those things. He wasn’t kind to black players back in his day and it’s noted. Your name could be Steve, Charles or whatever, if you say racist shit over a period of time you’re a racist.

Can you link your sources concerning Rupp calling people "coons" or saying/doing other things that would make him a racist?

Again, if his first name was "Steve", we aren't even having this conversation.
Don't worry, he will not give you the information because it does not nor never has existed. He is lying.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
When he’s on record calling black people coons, among other documented racial incidents, I’m not sure how so many can say He wasn’t Racists.

Now I understand that was a different time, and that stuff was more common in his day, but it doesn’t absolve him for the racists things he did and said.
Just in my lifetime Black people have wanted to be referred to as Negroes, and Colored. Now today’s standards would say that is racist. You can’t label a person that way unless you know what was in his heart, Rupp came up in a different era where words and phrases used then were normal, now they are not. Anyone labeled Rupp a racist without knowing him are exactly what they are accessing him of being.

Just in my lifetime Black people have wanted to be referred to as Negroes, and Colored. Now today’s standards would say that is racist. You can’t label a person that way unless you know what was in his heart, Rupp came up in a different era where words and phrases used then were normal, now they are not. Anyone labeled Rupp a racist without knowing him are exactly what they are accessing him of being.
When they refer to each other as "nigga" as a term of endearment, but if that bitch ass white boy says it he better run. Laughing

The Black people I know referred to themselves as Black and that's including my father who is 84. Hitler was a racist, did you know him?

Reactions: Villian07
….don't keep your fingers crossed too long, hoping for trouble at UK, Borden. You'll get arthritis.
Laughing....You guys are ate up...I 100% disagree with the changing of the name...I don't think Rupp was a racist...

If I posted this about anyone but UK, you'd be in here yucking' it up...Some of you just cannot handle it when its your Cats that are being talked about...Laughing

I would trust JP Scott Long before a guy that was recruiting against Rupp. Especially since the guy backed off those claims.
I was posting about this very thing on Rupp Rafters...JP contacted me, and gave me a ton of information...That dude knows his shit.

Reactions: mebeblue2
IMO, Rupp was really no different that any other person living in the 1940's-50's. Look, he live in an era where black people had little to no rights. He wasn't a pioneer, but that doesn't mean he was a racist. I mean during those times, it would have been reckless, and simply flat out dangerous to take a black kid into Mississippi....Alabama...Georgia, etc, etc...And not just for that kid. But the team and the staff; and possibly the University.

Did he(Rupp) use the word "coon"? I dunno. And if he did, well, what context? Was it in jest? Or was it in haste? I dunno....Nor do any of you/us. As for calling them "negro? So. 99% of of Americans back then referred to black people as negro...

And BTW, if negro is deemed racist, then some should tell this group...

uncf-845.jpg

Your acting like I made the stories up off the top of my head.

Bert knows those things happen. He just doesn't wanna hear it but under Rupp UK did get smacked by the NCAA so that's a double whammy. He obviously was a great coach, not going to deny that but there's to many stories out there that you touched on.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
I was posting about this very thing on Rupp Rafters...JP contacted me, and gave me a ton of information...That dude knows his shit.
Yeah, when JP says it, it’s freaking true. That guy is on point and he doesn't put it in print if he didn't confirm it.

He's also not an "in your face" kind of guy. He's very laid back and informative.

I guess, if he didn't say what he said the other day, I would believe the guys in here that are I'll informed.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
When an 87-year-old man who played briefly in the NBA back in the 1950s dies, it generally draws but a passing mention in anything more than his hometown paper. Not so with Jim Tucker. That’s because he was a trailblazer when it came to pro basketball. He was from Kentucky and if not for Jim Crow laws at the time, he might have been the first black player at the University of Kentucky – and the Southeastern Conference.

Tucker was a two-time college All-American who went on to become just the second African-American in the history of the NBA. Drafted by the Syracuse Nationals, he played alongside the first black player, Earl Lloyd. Together they helped the Nats win the 1955 NBA championship, becoming the first blacks to play for an NBA title team. Not bad, for a kid from a small town in the Bluegrass State.

Tucker was a star player for Paris Western High, the school for African-Americans in Bourbon County. He had led his team to the 1950 black Sweet 16, where then-UK coach Adolph Rupp saw him play. Rupp was so impressed that he went to the Western locker room and asked to speak to Tucker.

“I knew who he was,” Tucker said in 2005. He had agreed to an interview for a documentary I was producing called, “Adolph Rupp: Myth, Legend and Fact.” We had found Tucker, living in a retirement community in Jacksonville.

“He said to me, 'I'd like you to come to Kentucky, but you know our situation here. But what I'd like to do is contact some of my friends in the coaching community and see if they might have an interest in you because I think you have the ability to become an All-American and a good basketball player."

Always with a keen eye for talent, Rupp was right. He contacted a friend who was the head coach at Duquesne, in Pittsburgh. The Dukes at the time were a national power. So Tucker traveled north and when he got off the bus, the Duquesne coach was there to greet him.

“He said that if Adolph Rupp recommends you, that's the only reason we showed the interest, because if he couldn't have you, then we'd like to,” Tucker told us.

He was grateful for the help he received from Rupp, a victim of the circumstance of the times in which both were living. UK had desegregated its campus in 1948,

But Jim Crow laws in the deep south prohibited whites from playing sports against blacks. So the SEC remained off-limits to African- Americans.

“I had a lot of respect for him, I had a lot of respect for his basketball team,” Tucker said. “I respect his position, not fully realizing, you know, what was going on behind the scenes and I believe that had he had the opportunity and support of the school at that time, he would have had black players.”

At the end of the interview, Tucker asked if he could add a statement of his own. He spoke out on behalf of Rupp’s son, Herky, and the Rupp family, who had suffered silently through the years as people who didn’t know better criticized the UK coach for what they perceived as his efforts to keep his team all-white – when in fact, the opposite was true.

“I know his son has carried that stigma along with him,” Tucker said.

“I had an opportunity to call (Herky), to tell him the same story that I just told you. About what his father did for me and he said that has done him a world of good, because no one had ever said anything of a positive nature about his father. And he was so happy that I would come forward and say something about Mr. Rupp.”

Tucker said he believed Rupp’s kindness toward him showed a side not many were able to witness.

“I believe his hands were tied,” he said. “He wanted to win, and I believe if he could have put a monkey in a suit to win a ballgame, he would have done that. But he wanted to win, and still there are people who believe that he was a bigot. I don't think so.”

I don't now many racists that do things like that.

When they refer to each other as "nigga" as a term of endearment, but if that bitch ass white boy says it he better run. Laughing
Yea. I remember when I was a teenager, if you called Colored person Black, they were offended. Now they are not. So going back 50/60/79 years to determine if someone used names that today are considered a slur, you can’t.

The Black people I know referred to themselves as Black and that's including my father who is 84. Hitler was a racist, did you know him?
Were you and your father raised in North Carolina? I was raised in Kentucky. Two different cultures. And I think you are telling a lie anyway. Even Oprah stated that when she was growing up Blacks were referred to as colored, not Black.

Were you and your father raised in North Carolina? I was raised in Kentucky. Two different cultures. And I think you are telling a lie anyway. Even Oprah stated that when she was growing up Blacks were referred to as colored, not Black.

You think wrong. My parents and grandparents were born in NC. Also my 4 brothers/sisters were born here. Oprah says something and you think that applies to all black people? You’re not as smart as you think you are.

Reactions: UL_1986
Laughing....You guys are ate up...I 100% disagree with the changing of the name...I don't think Rupp was a racist...

If I posted this about anyone but UK, you'd be in here yucking' it up...Some of you just cannot handle it when its your Cats that are being talked about...Laughing

Well the usual drivel from IU fans I see and hear kinda puts a preexisting stigma on your posts.

You think wrong. My parents and grandparents were born in NC. Also my 4 brothers/sisters were born here. Oprah says something and you think that applies to all black people? You’re not as smart as you think you are.
So, do you think cheating black players out of an education is racist?

E
Yea. I remember when I was a teenager, if you called Colored person Black, they were offended. Now they are not. So going back 50/60/79 years to determine if someone used names that today are considered a slur, you can’t.

Except I’m fairly confident “coon” nor “n***Er” were never and have never been deemed by black people as acceptable and have always been slurs (as well as monkey/chimp etc) so yes, you can consider those racial slurs regardless if they were said today or on Columbus’s boats in 1492.

Did Harry Lancaster back off his claims and file his book about Rupp in the fiction section(former Rupp assistant who wrote a book about him, detailing several racist incidents) interesting quotes include “Lancaster wrote that Rupp told him, “Harry, that son of a b—- is ordering me to get some n—–s in here. What am I going to do?”

Did Frank Deford (the sportswriter who was in UK locker room during halftime of the Texas Western championship game) back off his claims detailing Rupp telling his players “you have to beat those coons” and “go after that big coon.”

Did James Bolin back off his claims that after receiving consolation belt buckles (who knew) after getting bounced from the NCAAT, Rupp quipped back, “I wouldn’t give those to the n******s on my farm”

Guess the man made a lot of people jealous over the years lol. It took about a 15 minute google search. The book written by his former assistant is enough for me. I’m sure he was just jealous he wasn’t the head coach so he made Rupp out to be racist out of jealousy.

https://theundefeated.com/features/kentucky-must-reckon-with-the-full-meaning-of-adolph-rupp/

Last edited:
E

Except I’m fairly confident “coon” nor “n***Er” were never and have never been deemed by black people as acceptable and have always been slurs (as well as monkey/chimp etc) so yes, you can consider those racial slurs regardless if they were said today or on Columbus’s boats in 1492.

Black rap artists call themselves and others bad names. I have been called that and I am redheaded and freckled, along with honkey, white trash, cracker. Then Hillary called me a deplorable.

I wear it all with pride.

Did Harry Lancaster (former Rupp assistant who wrote a book about him, detailing several racist incidents) interesting quotes include “ncaster wrote that Rupp told him, “Harry, that son of a b—- is ordering me to get some n—–s in here. What am I going to do?”

Did Frank Deford (the sportswriter who was in UK locker room during halftime of the Texas Western championship game) back off his claims detailing Rupp telling his players “you have to beat those coons” and “go after that big coon.”

Did James Bolin back off his claims that after receiving consolation belt buckles (who knew) after getting bounced from the NCAAT, Rupp quipped back, “I wouldn’t give those to the n******s on my farm”

Guess the man made a lot of people jealous over the years lol. It took about a 15 minute google search. The book written by his former assistant is enough for me. I’m sure he was just jealous he wasn’t the head coach so he made Rupp out to be racist out of jealousy.

https://theundefeated.com/features/kentucky-must-reckon-with-the-full-meaning-of-adolph-rupp/

Deford is a total liar.

Hell I can dream up all sorts of shit and publish it. It would not make it any closer to the truth.

The ex-Maryland coach said in 1966 UK fans brought out Confederate Battle flags at the Championship game. He is the only one that saw them, but his lie got published. Why?

John Thompson (RIP John) defended Rupp as not being racist but you do not bring him up. Why?

Did Harry Lancaster (former Rupp assistant who wrote a book about him, detailing several racist incidents) interesting quotes include “ncaster wrote that Rupp told him, “Harry, that son of a b—- is ordering me to get some n—–s in here. What am I going to do?”

….the hate is strong with this one. Laughing

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Deford is a total liar.

Hell I can dream up all sorts of shit and publish it. It would not make it any closer to the truth.

The ex-Maryland coach said in 1966 UK fans brought out Confederate Battle flags at the Championship game. He is the only one that saw them, but his lie got published. Why?

John Thompson (RIP John) defended Rupp as not being racist but you do not bring him up. Why?

Lancaster - Liar
Deford- Liar
Bolin- Liar

Got it

Black rap artists call themselves and others bad names. I have been called that and I am redheaded and freckled, along with honkey, white trash, cracker. Then Hillary called me a deplorable.

I wear it all with pride.
You even called yourself a racist! I know you wear that one with pride. Bigot.

You even called yourself a racist! I know you wear that one with pride. Bigot.

Bert is an old dude that can dish it out but he can't take it. If you say anything negative about his buddy Rupp he'll get so mad he comes close to blacking out.

ADVERTISEMENT