ADVERTISEMENT

So Durant....

HRTheCard

Sep 15, 2016
Team
Louisville
...turns down 221 million with GS to go to the Nets???

He won’t win anything with Kyrie.

But now that he’s gone to the Nets, it opens up the door for Kawhi to the Lakers since him and Durant won’t play together now.

I'm just not crazy about the idea of all of these upper-echelon players teaming up to form 2-3 super teams. That's what the Olympics are for. It makes for a less-interesting season/playoffs. I think the NBA should have more disparity. I would have liked to see what AD & Z could have achieved.

Hurts the Nets because they don't have KD for a year, Kyrie can't carry a team and they possibly will get rid of Jarrett Allen.
Allen makes a few million a year compared the 20+ million contract of DeAndre Jordan.
Jordan is on the downside and Allen is on his upside. By time KD comes back Allen will be the way better player.

Can Allen and Jordan play on the same team. Jordan doesn't have much of a shot so unless Allen expands his game I don't see it.

I'm just not crazy about the idea of all of these upper-echelon players teaming up to form 2-3 super teams. That's what the Olympics are for. It makes for a less-interesting season/playoffs. I think the NBA should have more disparity. I would have liked to see what AD & Z could have achieved.

I'll never fault players for trying to win. I respect this a lot more than going to the highest bidder.

And as a casual fan, it actually makes it more interesting to me. If the Lakers get Leonard, I’ll definitely be tuning in.

Last edited:
Hurts the Nets because they don't have KD for a year, Kyrie can't carry a team and they possibly will get rid of Jarrett Allen.
Allen makes a few million a year compared the 20+ million contract of DeAndre Jordan.
Jordan is on the downside and Allen is on his upside. By time KD comes back Allen will be the way better player.

Can Allen and Jordan play on the same team. Jordan doesn't have much of a shot so unless Allen expands his game I don't see it.

I would think they’d get rid of Ed Davis instead of Allen.

I see the same thing with Irving and DAngelo Russell.
Seems like Nets care about name rather than future.
Russell-Allen in two years would be better than
Irving-Jordan

Possibly KD could be worth it but I don't see it coming off a serious injury like that.
Kobe wasn't the same but he was 5-6 years older.

Irving-Jordan

Possibly KD could be worth it but I don't see it coming off a serious injury like that.

Agree on Irving and Russell. D LO was already a great fit there. But without Irving I bet they don’t get KD

Reactions: dtgold88
KD has two rings. Irving has one ring. I'm guessing they're not lacking in confidence.

Reactions: brianiu
Irving-Jordan

This is how you be relevant and win championships in the NBA, what are the Nets supposed to do, tell KD and Irving to shove it and keep chugging along as an overachieving fringe playoff team with the Jared Dudleys of the world? You know this is the Nets right? A franchise that hasn't been thought about in almost 20 years. You 100% punt this year and gear up to win 1-3 championships if a legit big 3 is willing to sign on to your half assed organization.

“yOu CaNt ExPeCt MaX mOnEy iN FrEe AgENcY AfTeR aN aChILLieS iNjUrY, kEvIn”

- No one in this thread

———

For real though, happy he’s getting out and trying on a new roster. It keeps things fresh. I don’t think it’ll work there, but it’ll be fun to watch.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
This is how you be relevant and win championships in the NBA, what are the Nets supposed to do, tell KD and Irving to shove it and keep chugging along as an overachieving fringe playoff team with the Jared Dudleys of the world? You know this is the Nets right? A franchise that hasn't been thought about in almost 20 years. You 100% punt this year and gear up to win 1-3 championships if a legit big 3 is willing to sign on to your half assed organization.

This is why the Nets suck.
They did try this 5 years ago.

Kyrie and DeAndre Jordan won't be better than D Angelo Russell/Jarrett Allen in 1-3 years.

The addition of KD is the X Factor and if they can keep Jarrett Allen.

Still think keeping Russell over Kyrie is a smarter idea.

Agree on Irving and Russell. D LO was already a great fit there. But without Irving I bet they don’t get KD

I don't know about their other players and their potential.
But Russell and Allen are good enough to get them in the playoffs.

Irving/DeAndre/KD is good enough for a 4-5 seed IMO even in the East right now.

Do you see Irving/DeAndre as a playoff team in 2019-2020.

This is why the Nets suck.
They did try this 5 years ago.

Kyrie and DeAndre Jordan won't be better than D Angelo Russell/Jarrett Allen in 1-3 years.

The addition of KD is the X Factor and if they can keep Jarrett Allen.

Still think keeping Russell over Kyrie is a smarter idea.

They tried it 5 years ago in one of the most ridiculous trades ever orchestrated because a Russian Oligarch wanted to win now dammit and forced the hand of his entire organization to go find “name” players. This is entirely different, you have 3 superstars in their prime, one caveat is you may have to burn year 1 waiting for KD to return, but there is no more unbeatable foursome in Oakland, the NBA is wide open and the Nets are at full health the top team in the East right now. This is the payoff for developing a young core so that the league alphas will want to join your team to win titles, if they said no they would never become better than 4th in the East.

They tried it 5 years ago in one of the most ridiculous trades ever orchestrated because a Russian Oligarch wanted to win now dammit and forced the hand of his entire organization to go find “name” players. This is entirely different, you have 3 superstars in their prime, one caveat is you may have to burn year 1 waiting for KD to return, but there is no more unbeatable foursome in Oakland, the NBA is wide open and the Nets are at full health the top team in the East right now. This is the payoff for developing a young core so that the league alphas will want to join your team to win titles, if they said no they would never become better than 4th in the East.

DeAndre Jordan isn't in his prime...
He is on the backside of his career.

I see a few teams better next year and potentially even more by 2020-2021.

I don't know about their other players and their potential.
But Russell and Allen are good enough to get them in the playoffs.

Irving/DeAndre/KD is good enough for a 4-5 seed IMO even in the East right now.

Do you see Irving/DeAndre as a playoff team in 2019-2020.

If Irving stays healthy and Allen stays, yes.

If Irving stays healthy and Allen stays, yes.

Allen will be a double double machine the next 10 years.
DeAndre Jordan didn't average his first double double season until he was 25.
Good chance Allen could average that next year when he is 21/22.

Interested to see if his outside game can develop more.
His ceiling could be very high if he ends up as someone that can play everywhere on the court at an elite level

The Nets upgraded at PG (I think it's a huge gap if Kyrie's engaged, mostly because Russell doesn't get to the line and his game is predicated on elite mid range shooting; his advanced stats are meh for a reason), they keep Allen and have another C at a cheap starter/good backup price, and have KD for 3 of the next 4 years. Even if KD is only at 75%, he's still a great player. The Nets might not win the title, but they're markedly improved on the court and, oh, established themselves as the alpha organization in the largest city in the US.

The criticism is, what, that they would have been better off doing something else? What? Aside from using meme magic to magically transform into a juggernaut like the 2017 Warriors, what were the realistic options available to the Nets? Overpay Russell and then be marginally better next year? Hoard their cap space and sign guys like Taj and Randle? This offseason was an unequivocal win for the Nets.

Irving-Jordan

Or Durant insisted it be Irving in order to come?

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Or Durant insisted it be Irving in order to come?

That is what I am hearing.
If KD is fully healthy after his injury it could make sense.
Achilles injuries are serious. Pretty much ended Kobe's career.
KD is 5? years younger than when Kobe injured his but I still have questions if KD is as explosive when he comes back.
Without the ability to take players off the dribble it would hurt his shot as well because you can body up on him more with players who aren't as athletic.

The Nets upgraded at PG (I think it's a huge gap if Kyrie's engaged, mostly because Russell doesn't get to the line and his game is predicated on elite mid range shooting; his advanced stats are meh for a reason), they keep Allen and have another C at a cheap starter/good backup price, and have KD for 3 of the next 4 years. Even if KD is only at 75%, he's still a great player. The Nets might not win the title, but they're markedly improved on the court and, oh, established themselves as the alpha organization in the largest city in the US.

The criticism is, what, that they would have been better off doing something else? What? Aside from using meme magic to magically transform into a juggernaut like the 2017 Warriors, what were the realistic options available to the Nets? Overpay Russell and then be marginally better next year? Hoard their cap space and sign guys like Taj and Randle? This offseason was an unequivocal win for the Nets.
No doubt....might not end in a title, but they had to do it.

Also disagree with anyone thinking this offseason was bad for NBA. I see at least 5-6 teams in West with a chance to get to the Finals....especially if Kawhi does not go to LAL, and maybe another 3-4 in the East (4 if Kawhi goes to Toronto)

Reactions: Big_Blue79
That is what I am hearing.
If KD is fully healthy after his injury it could make sense.
Achilles injuries are serious. Pretty much ended Kobe's career.
KD is 5? years younger than when Kobe injured his but I still have questions if KD is as explosive when he comes back.
Without the ability to take players off the dribble it would hurt his shot as well because you can body up on him more with players who aren't as athletic.

But KD is much more reliant on his size and skill than Kobe was, and size and skill age nicely. He'll be diminished, sure, but he's going from "best player in the world" to some percentage of that. That's fine, even if it's not the surplus value contract that the very top end players usually command. And that's only the on court value of having KD. For a team like the Nets, getting by with the LaVerts and Allens and Dinwiddies of the world for half a decade, the off court value is immense.

But KD is much more reliant on his size and skill than Kobe was, and size and skill age nicely. He'll be diminished, sure, but he's going from "best player in the world" to some percentage of that. That's fine, even if it's not the surplus value contract that the very top end players usually command. And that's only the on court value of having KD. For a team like the Nets, getting by with the LaVerts and Allens and Dinwiddies of the world for half a decade, the off court value is immense.

Not really if it doesn't work out.

Sounds like the Nets are worried about popularity more than winning.

Winning bring fans forever while big names if they don't produce allows the popularity to die.

Only thing the Nets have done is allow the Boston Celtics to reload the last 10 years.

They started rebuilding their organization and getting young players with potential.

The fact is with D Angelo Russell and Jarrett Allen the Nets had a chance to develop into a great team.
Allen is only 21.

Allen hasn't been traded.

Kyrie Irving- Injury history. Has had his moments but wasn't the needed player without LeBron.
DeAndre Jordan is coming off a "down year" and is on the bad side of 30.
Might have another season getting 12+ points and 12+ rebounds PPG but it won't be like at his peak when he was 26 and 27.
Even his BPG have declined.

KD- Who knows.
That size works because he is explosive and can take players off the dribble.
But with an Achilles injury that explosiveness might not be there.
So when you can't take players off the dribble you have to shoot over people.
There are a lot of 6-10 and 6-11 players who could guard a less explosive KD on the perimeter.
Meaning he won't open the offense up as much as he has done.

Okay, Sherriff, then lay out what specific moves you would have done? The Nets got better on the court, and they got much better off the court by claiming the biggest city in the US. Win-win. Is there downside? Yes. But you know what has more downside? Signing a guy that put up a good per game stats but meh impact stats (.533 TS, 19.4 PER, 0.097 WS/48, 3.3 VORP, 1.53 RPM) to a max contract. Not improving your team when you have the chance and being unable to do so later because you're signing your middling players to the types of contracts that kill teams b/c you don't have a means to improve your team by draft picks (too good for high lottery) or free agency (less likely to have big chunks of room going forward).

You're concerned about Allen, but he's still on the team and DJ is only $10m/year in a league where decent starters get $15m/year; in other words, DJ is paid like a good backup. So what's the concern about Allen, that he gets less minutes? He'll get minutes (the Nets have shown savvy on lineup decisions). D'Angelo needed an ELITE midrange efficiency year to be a borderline All Star by conventional per game stats (per game stats in 2019 are the forum equivalent of a flip phone) and far from that by any impact metrics (WARP, WS/48, RPM, etc...). Irving is a big upgrade on Russell, and for only $8m/year more.

So what's your solution? Run out the same team again and become the Pacers of Brooklyn? What specific signings would you have made?

KD and Kyrie wont win anything.

This is a terrific load of a BS comment. If they win, say, a first round series and lose in 7 to the eventual champs ala the 76ers this year? "Told you." They win the East but lose in the Finals? "Told you." They win 56 games but suffer a new, unforeseeable injury to a star? "Told you." Do anything but win the NBA title, which is obscenely hard to do? "Told you." Cool, but no more insightful than saying that you won't roll at 29 on a 30 sided die.

This is a terrific load of a BS comment. If they win, say, a first round series and lose in 7 to the eventual champs ala the 76ers this year? "Told you." They win the East but lose in the Finals? "Told you." They win 56 games but suffer a new, unforeseeable injury to a star? "Told you." Do anything but win the NBA title, which is obscenely hard to do? "Told you." Cool, but no more insightful than saying that you won't roll at 29 on a 30 sided die.

KD and Kyrie won't win anything important. You're welcome.

KD and Kyrie won't win anything important. You're welcome.

That does not correct the vagueness part for the obvious reason that "important" is itself vague, so you're a bit premature on the "you're welcome" aspect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT