Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
These guys have to be at the top of the list I believe:
  • Scott Drew
  • Lavall Jordan
  • Bruce Pearl
  • Brian Ducher (SDU's head coach)
  • Pat Chambers

Please post any other coaches I left out...

• Scott Drew
  • Lavall Jordan
  • Bruce Pearl
  • Pat Chambers

You can take Pat Chambers off that list. Otherwise that is about right at the moment.

• Scott Drew
  • Lavall Jordan
  • Bruce Pearl
  • Pat Chambers

I believe Duke has a head coach that is doing a great job....again.

Of the guys you put on your list, Scott Drew would be the one.

Crazy to think, but K hasn't even won ACC Coach of the Year since 2000. Apparently he's not eligible because if his team does well, it's because he simply he has the best players.
I don't think ppl realize how hard it is to start basically fresh each year. Sure there's talent, but they're still freshman and it can't be easy basically starting from scratch each year.

I don't think ppl realize how hard it is to start basically fresh each year. Sure there's talent, but they're still freshman and it can't be easy basically starting from scratch each year.
Yeah, the people that like to take shots at Cal and Kentucky (I assume the same things are said about Duke) like to say "Calipari sucks, all those NBA all stars and only 1 title… ".

They weren't NBA all stars when they were at UK, they were athletic freshmen, most of them, very raw with potential.

I don't think I need to tell you which fanbase says that the most.

Coach K deserves to be coach of the year because he has more talent than 99 percent of the country and has his team ranked third?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Coach K deserves to be coach of the year because he has more talent than 99 percent of the country and has his team ranked third?

Agreed- that's why I didn't list Cal or K- both were preseason top five, some rankings high as second for one or the other.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Agreed- that's why I didn't list Cal or K- both were preseason top five, some rankings high as second for one or the other.
Hard to reward a guy who's team started at 4 in the polls and has moved all the way to... 3.

It'd be one thing if people didn't expect Duke to have a good year, but they did. This award is for teams doing well that weren't expected to accomplish what they are.

Hard to reward a guy who's team started at 4 in the polls and has moved all the way to... 3.

It'd be one thing if people didn't expect Duke to have a good year, but they did. This award is for teams doing well that weren't expected to accomplish what they are.

Yeah I have to check the rankings but I believe Baylor has no top 50 recruits on their team this season.

Crazy to think, but K hasn't even won ACC Coach of the Year since 2000. Apparently he's not eligible because if his team does well, it's because he simply he has the best players.

Yeah, media always seems to punish great teams like that. Jimbo built a team that set the NCAA record for points scored in a season, and also had the number 1 defense, and Jimbo didn’t win ACC CoY. Just like Bobby rarely won it. And just like Lebron never wins MVP, even though he should have like 6.

Coach gets no credit for recruiting the talent and getting them to gel within the system in short order?

Yeah, media always seems to punish great teams like that. Jimbo built a team that set the NCAA record for points scored in a season, and also had the number 1 defense, and Jimbo didn’t win ACC CoY. Just like Bobby rarely won it. And just like Lebron never wins MVP, even though he should have like 6.
Counterpoint jimbo is a cuck, which almost certainly affected voters desire to vote for him.

Disagree. Go look at who people on this board were picking for their national champ, just days before the start of the season. Less than 3% of the posters on here said Duke. Then, go look at the Final Four picks made two months before the start of the season. I'm the only one who picked Duke. The general sentiment on this board before the start of the season was, "Duke is always overrated."

Now, that being said, Duke could just as easily crap the bed and lose in the first weekend. Just feel like this team has a nice mixture of youth and veterans, not overly reliant on 1-2 guys, they play sound defense, and there are multiple good shooters, which is great for spacing. They have flaws, sure, but they have all the ingredients for making it to the Final Four.

On top of that, look at where Duke ranks in the computer models:

NET: 3
KenPom: 1
BPI: 1
Sagarin: 1
KPI: 1

Most Duke fans would even say that this team has exceeded expectations. I'm okay if Scott Drew, Lavall Jordan, or Anthony Grant, or someone else deserving is awarded NCOY. Just feel like K is often disregarded simply because he's expected to win.

At least the selection committee doesn't punish him.
giphy.gif

Disagree. Go look at who people on this board were picking for their national champ, just days before the start of the season. Less than 3% of the posters on here said Duke. Then, go look at the Final Four picks made two months before the start of the season. I'm the only one who picked Duke. The general sentiment on this board before the start of the season was, "Duke is always overrated."

Now, that being said, Duke could just as easily crap the bed and lose in the first weekend. Just feel like this team has a nice mixture of youth and veterans, not overly reliant on 1-2 guys, they play sound defense, and there are multiple good shooters, which is great for spacing. They have flaws, sure, but they have all the ingredients for making it to the Final Four.

Most Duke fans would even say that this team has exceeded expectations. I'm okay if Scott Drew, Lavall Jordan, or Anthony Grant, or someone else deserving is awarded NCOY. Just feel like K is often disregarded simply because he's expected to win.
Not arguing K hasn’t done well but other coaches have done just as much with less at this point.

Yep! It was “Kansas and Michigan State are going to crush Duke.” “Who is going to score for Duke?” “They lost 3 lottery picks and didn’t replace them with top, elite talent!” “Duke is overrated and Tre Jones will be exposed since he doesn’t have any lottery picks beside him.”

The experts, man, the experts. No one had Vernon Carey as possible FOY, NPOY and lottery pick at the beginning of the season. No one had Tre Jones improving his “broken jump shot.” Jordan Goldwire contributing, K playing a deeper bench. But, now, everyone has changed their tune.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Yep. Everyone here was saying Duke was cooked, Duke was down, Duke was gonna have a crap year. But surprise! And K has done it in a way that he doesn't normally, by going ten deep and using a pretty aggressive rotation.

Yep! It was “Kansas and Michigan State are going to crush Duke.” “Who is going to score for Duke?” “They lost 3 lottery picks and didn’t replace them with top, elite talent!” “Duke is overrated and Tre Jones will be exposed since he doesn’t have any lottery picks beside him.”

The experts, man, the experts. No one had Vernon Carey as possible FOY, NPOY and lottery pick at the beginning of the season. No one had Tre Jones improving his “broken jump shot.” Jordan Goldwire contributing, K playing a deeper bench. But, now, everyone has changed their tune.

Yep. And I have NO idea how anyone was sleeping on Vernon... a huge big man the size of Okafor with soft hands and who can shoot? But they were.

He does but it’s not more impressive than a handful of other coaches working with a lot less talent and similar results

But coaching isn't just what happens during a game. Should K be punished because these other guys cannot recruit as well as he can? Recruiting is part of the game, and when you consider that all of these other guys have teams of guys they have three and four years to build, and K hasn't... well, I don't think K should be disqualified from having a chance.

BTW, just some perspective, on this year... this Duke team only has a single Top Ten high school talent, and our backup PG who plays 20 minutes a game was ranked #398 in high school. This isn't a team full of top 5 talents.

The idea that K wouldn't be in the discussion for COY, and the fact that he hasn't won ACC COY since 2000 but Tony Bennett has won it four times, Leonard Hamilton has won it twice, and Jim Larranaga has won it twice, all while...

* K has won three national titles in that time frame
* K has had ten 30 win seasons in that time frame
* Duke has been a #1 seed (i.e. one of the best four teams in the nation) nine times in that time frame
* Duke has been ranked #1 in the nation in 15 of the last 23 seasons
* Duke has been the #1 team in the nation nearly as much as every other ACC team COMBINED has been #1 in the nation... 143 times for Duke, 147 for the rest of the ACC combined

... well, that shows you how much people overthink this stuff in an attempt to seem smart.

At least K will win the ACC COY this year.

Last edited:
Yep. Everyone here was saying Duke was cooked, Duke was down, Duke was gonna have a crap year. But surprise! And K has done it in a way that he doesn't normally, by going ten deep and using a pretty aggressive rotation.

Yep. And I have NO idea how anyone was sleeping on Vernon... a huge big man the size of Okafor with soft hands and who can shoot? But they were.

But coaching isn't just what happens during a game. Should K be punished because these other guys cannot recruit as well as he can? Recruiting is part of the game, and when you consider that all of these other guys have teams of guys they have three and four years to build, and K hasn't... well, I don't think K should be disqualified from having a chance.

The idea that K wouldn't be in the discussion for COY, and the fact that he hasn't won ACC COY since 2000 but Tony Bennett has won it four times, Leonard Hamilton has won it twice, and Jim Larranaga has won it twice, all while...

* K has won two national titles in that time frame
* K has had ten 30 win seasons in that time frame
* Duke has been a #1 seed (i.e. one of the best four teams in the nation) nine times in that time frame
* Duke has been ranked #1 in the nation in 15 of the last 23 seasons
* Duke has been the #1 team in the nation nearly as much as every other ACC team COMBINED has been #1 in the nation... 143 times for Duke, 147 for the rest of the ACC combined

... well, that shows you how much people overthink this stuff in an attempt to seem smart.
Lol, never said he shouldn’t be disqualified. But if we are talking this season there have been coaches that have done better so far. Why is this so hard to comprehend for you Dukies?

ADVERTISEMENT