ADVERTISEMENT

SMU @ Memphis - Was an Interesting Game Today

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Jan 20, 2011
Not sure if anybody here watched this one but for whatever reason I did. Memphis was in control throughout, SMU made a nice early 2nd half run but Memphis held firm and opened up a decent 5-10 point lead from about the 15 min mark to the 5 min mark.

The SMU coach suddenly made a switch to go zone pretty much the final 5 min or so and Memphis played like they'd never even seen a zone. SMU ends up stealing this one on the road and it really was all about that decision to switch to a zone.

Don't necessarily blame 1 Cent for taking up Memphis on their ridiculous offer but he would have been better off in the long run accepting the assistant job Cal was offering. . or working under another established, successful HC first. Coaching a D1 program is not something you just learn on the fly

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Memphis will learn soon enough that Penny is just Pastner 2.0.

Tubby sucked but he did just as much his final year with less than Penny has his first year and a half. It's almost like coaching matters.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Tubby sucked but he did just as much his final year with less than Penny has his first year and a half. It's almost like coaching matters.
People always give UK fans shit for "runnin' Tubby off" even though he quit on his own. I didn't hear any of that after Memphis fired him 2 years in.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
People always give UK fans shit for "runnin' Tubby off" even though he quit on his own. I didn't hear any of that after Memphis fired him 2 years in.

Tubby deserves a ton of credit for what he did with the 98 team. I'm not sure they win with Pitino coaching. However, he deserved a ton of criticism for not recruiting the last decade on the job. If anything he was given too much time.

Tubby deserves a ton of credit for what he did with the 98 team. I'm not sure they win with Pitino coaching. However, he deserved a ton of criticism for not recruiting the last decade on the job. If anything he was given too much time.
Great coach, lazy ass recruiter. Always put his eggs in one basket and when those guys went elsewhere he was stuck with mid-major talent. His stall ball bored the hell out of me too.

You guys always say this. I never really have followed Kentucky recruiting but back when I was into Kansas recruiting (2002-2008) I remember you guys having pretty big classes. Most of these were Tubby years. Maybe not every season was a top 5 class but you guys definitely had some good ones under him.

You guys always say this. I never really have followed Kentucky recruiting but back when I was into Kansas recruiting (2002-2008) I remember you guys having pretty big classes. Most of these were Tubby years. Maybe not every season was a top 5 class but you guys definitely had some good ones under him.
I remember one "good/great" class under Tubby. It was Randolph Morris, Rajon Rondo, Joe Crawford.

The only other classes where we had at least two 4* recruits were '02 (Azubuike, Antwoin Barbour), and '06 (Derrick Jasper, Jodie Meeks, and Perry Stephenson). The rest were 3*'s or lower.

*Note, Rivals only goes back to '02. He also got Prince and Bogans, but they weren't in the same class.

**'98 class had RSCI ranking #12 Prince, and #31 Jules Camera. '99 class had #2 Bogans and #5 Marvin Stone (who later transferred to UL). '00 he got #36 Cliff Hawkins and #41 Jason Parker (later dismissed from team). '01 had #21 Rashaad Carruth (kicked off team, went to OU, kicked off their team), and #46 Chuck Hayes.

Last edited:
Reactions: schoonerwest

You and I could recruit kids to Kentucky lol. Ask anyone that covered UK under Tubby. He was lazy as shit recruiting, and there are multiple stories about players that ended up in the NBA wanting to come to UK and Tubby was like meh. I can't find class rankings since they aren't on Rivals now from the older ones but here is the 4 from the 247 composite-
2003: 23
2004: 1 (was his best class by a mile)
2005: 22
2006: 10

One awesome class, 3 other meh ones. Even Gillespie had a better class his first year at #9 with Patterson being the main piece.

Reactions: schoonerwest
You and I could recruit kids to Kentucky lol. Ask anyone that covered UK under Tubby. He was lazy as shit recruiting, and there are multiple stories about players that ended up in the NBA wanting to come to UK and Tubby was like meh. I can't find class rankings since they aren't on Rivals now from the older ones but here is the 4 from the 247 composite-
2003: 23
2004: 1 (was his best class by a mile)
2005: 22
2006: 10

One awesome class, 3 other meh ones. Even Gillespie had a better class his first year at #9 with Patterson being the main piece.
Shows you how spoiled blueblood fans are when they can look at a #10 ranked class and call it meh.

Shows you how spoiled blueblood fans are when they can look at a #10 ranked class and call it meh.

Calipari has gotten UK fans spoiled don't get me wrong. But at the blue bloods if you're not consistently near the top 5 you're not recruiting right. The advantages the UK's, KU's, Duke's have over other teams is quite large.

@schoonerwest

RSCI Recruiting Class Rankings under Tubby.

'98 #6
'99 #5
'00 #12
'01 #12
'02 n/a
'03 n/a
'04 #2
'05 n/a
'06 #14

Gillispie years

'07 #11
'08 #14