ADVERTISEMENT

Smoky Mountains question...

Scotty00

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2008
Any of you guys have a time share or own a cabin pretty high up on a mountain that you rent or would rent for a few days in late October? I go every year but can’t never seem to get up on the mountain as high as I would like.

What’s the elevation in those hills? Curious if my house on flat land is higher than a cabin on top of a Smokey mountain?

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
My in laws have a 1600 sqft condo in Banner Elk in a private community. They rent it sometimes. Only sits about 3300 ft , but great view.

33612516_4844968087596_8564041290734370816_o.jpg

Have hiked that area a lot but almost all high elevations are part of Smoky Mountain National Park. You’d probably have better luck around Asheville along Blue Ridge Parkway or near Nantahala.

Only area I can think of is in Gatlinburg along the tram line. Those houses are pretty high. Pretty expensive too if I remember

Lots of good mountain towns in the Smokies with cabins and scenic views... Bryson City (Nantahala area), Cashiers, Highlands, Banner Elk, Little Switzerland, Lake Junaluska/Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Gatlinburg (TN), Lake Lure, Black Mountain... Beech Mountain (near Boone and Blowing Rock) has the highest elevation for a town in the Eastern United States, just north of 5,500 feet. That might be a good town to look into.

If you're not looking for a cabin, I've stayed at Park Vista Hotel in Gatlinburg. It sits on a mountain that looks over the town of Gatlinburg, and it's has great views at night of Gatlinburg. It's also on the trolley bus route, so getting down into Gatlinburg is easy. I haven't been there since the fires and I do know the fire was all around the Park Vista Hotel so the foliage may not be as nice as the picture below now.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/29/e1/53/park-vista-hotel-taken.jpg
park-vista-hotel-taken.jpg

I was there last October and there is still a lot of damage from the fires but it’s still nice. I’d say what shocked me the most was when I rode the chair lifts up to the top and everything was gone! It all burnt up. Gift shop and everything!

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I was there last October and there is still a lot of damage from the fires but it’s still nice. I’d say what shocked me the most was when I rode the chair lifts up to the top and everything was gone! It all burnt up. Gift shop and everything!

Forgot about that. Haven’t seen the damage there yet.

Was actually hiking there the weekend the fire started and took pictures. We started at Mt Cammerer (which had bad ass views), on the far side of Smokey’s compared to Chimney Top, but we were pretty close to hiking that area that weekend.

Moderate. Kentucky type weather, but you may not know what that means. You can get snow, ice and rough weather in the winter and get hot muggy weather in the summer.

It is God's weather in God's country; ie where stuff grows in the summer and bugs get killed in the winter.
I'm sure we don't get the cooler fall and spring type temps based on elevation or lack thereof, but Kansas has extremes. The weekend before cinco de mayo was snow and the next weekend hit 92. This summer we have had an incredible number of 100 plus degree days. We rarely get the big snowstorms i remember when i was young, but we are no stranger to neg wind chill temps and ice. The smokies are on my bucket list---for some reason it just reminds me of old moonshiners, cabins, and fishing streams.

Have any North Carolinians been to Linville Gorge? Heading there next week

Have any North Carolinians been to Linville Gorge? Heading there next week
Yea it's nice. Just not a ton to do around there outside of the outdoors. But you are 45 min to Banner Elk and Blowing Rock , an hour to Boone about , and 90 min to Asheville in case you want to take a day trip.

Any of you guys have a time share or own a cabin pretty high up on a mountain that you rent or would rent for a few days in late October? I go every year but can’t never seem to get up on the mountain as high as I would like.

So that’s where all the women are?

Yea it's nice. Just not a ton to do around there outside of the outdoors. But you are 45 min to Banner Elk and Blowing Rock , an hour to Boone about , and 90 min to Asheville in case you want to take a day trip.

As of now, we are planning on staying in Asheville the first night then camping on mountain the next two. Evidently there is a 22 mile loop that is just brutal that we are going to try to knock out. Views look amazing from what I’ve seen online.

As of now, we are planning on staying in Asheville the first night then camping on mountain the next two. Evidently there is a 22 mile loop that is just brutal that we are going to try to knock out. Views look amazing from what I’ve seen online.
I am a Marriott kinda guy. I have done the camping thing , it's not me. My in laws spot has as good of views as you can find higher up in the development.

Reactions: bkingUK
I used to date a girl in Boone. Boone is a wonderful place and the girl I dated was wonderful. I love Blowing Rock; I am not familiar with Banner Elk. Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee is just a fine place to be or visit.

They do have shitty taste in college basketball and football teams!

I'm sure we don't get the cooler fall and spring type temps based on elevation or lack thereof, but Kansas has extremes. The weekend before cinco de mayo was snow and the next weekend hit 92. This summer we have had an incredible number of 100 plus degree days. We rarely get the big snowstorms i remember when i was young, but we are no stranger to neg wind chill temps and ice. The smokies are on my bucket list---for some reason it just reminds me of old moonshiners, cabins, and fishing streams.
Being a native of South Central Kentucky, I am very biased, but to my mind some of the nicest country and people in the U.S. is North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The mountains are special. A trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway from Ashville to Afton is a treat.

In the mountains there are some moonshiners, but it is not like the movies. I knew one once but I was scared to drink his stuff.

Reactions: kelley2403
I used to date a girl in Boone. Boone is a wonderful place and the girl I dated was wonderful. I love Blowing Rock; I am not familiar with Banner Elk. Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee is just a fine place to be or visit.

They do have shitty taste in college basketball and football teams!
Banner Elk is about 25-30 min west of Boone. About 50 min to Johnson City , Tn.

Being a native of South Central Kentucky, I am very biased, but to my mind some of the nicest country and people in the U.S. is North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The mountains are special. A trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway from Ashville to Afton is a treat.

In the mountains there are some moonshiners, but it is not like the movies. I knew one once but I was scared to drink his stuff.

Where you from?

Where you from?
I grew up in a little town, Park City – was Glasgow Junction-, about 20 miles from Bowling Green, KY. Park City is half way between Louisville and Nashville next to Mammoth Cave National Park.

My folks (both sets of grandparents) lost their farms when Mammoth Cave was created. It was a big deal back in the '30's as the federal government was a little tight with the money they paid for the land.

I worked on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina during the first two summers of college and fell in love with that area. That is to explain about Boone etc. Here is a picture of Wildcat rock, just up from where I lived:

I just always picture it from some other era! Ive had some supposed moonshine and to be honest, it tastes like poison. I guess i don't even know much about it except its strong and you drink it out of a mason jar???? The pics of the smokies are about as good as it gets nature wise. Literally the only thing I don't like about the mountains is the water temp b/c i love getting in and lounging.

I just always picture it from some other era! Ive had some supposed moonshine and to be honest, it tastes like poison. I guess i don't even know much about it except its strong and you drink it out of a mason jar???? The pics of the smokies are about as good as it gets nature wise. Literally the only thing I don't like about the mountains is the water temp b/c i love getting in and lounging.
Good moonshine is smooth. Spring water until it hits your gut.

I grew up in a little town, Park City – was Glasgow Junction-, about 20 miles from Bowling Green, KY. Park City is half way between Louisville and Nashville next to Mammoth Cave National Park.

My folks (both sets of grandparents) lost their farms when Mammoth Cave was created. It was a big deal back in the '30's as the federal government was a little tight with the money they paid for the land.

I worked on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina during the first two summers of college and fell in love with that area. That is to explain about Boone etc. Here is a picture of Wildcat rock, just up from where I lived:

Rough Ridge Lookout near Grandfather Mountain. Photo of my sister in law.
10325598_10204157268594796_4480443264020884871_n.jpg

I love just about 40 mins from Glasgow down in Burkesville. I’m actually in Glasgow right now and I go to BG pretty often.

ADVERTISEMENT