ADVERTISEMENT

Should Seniors be Given Another Year of Eligibility?

schoonerwest

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2006
Midland, TX
Team
Kansas
This seems to be one of the hottest topics going around in sports news today. I'm on kind of leaning towards no for the basketball players but yes for the spring sports who are just now getting underway. As much as I'd love to see Azubuike come back he just basically played a full season. I don't see the justification in letting him and other seniors play another full season just to have the chance to play in the tournament as a senior.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
As far as KU's concerned, this would just be a double whammy, benefiting about every top team but them.

It would help UNC but I just don't think it is the right thing to do.

Hell no for basketball players. Most have completed their scholarship requirement.
Do you let the English major, cheerleaders?
Plain stupid!

I say no. It's a shame, but there are too many other things affected by that decision. We all deal with disappointments from time to time. That's life.

BB players no. spring and summer sports yes, as some have not started yet and some are just getting started,

the exemption on the scholly limit would be more flexible, as most of the spring and summer sports are split up between the player,
example: a scholly is split between 2 sometimes 3 people in some sports.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Do they keep their scholarship? Who do you revoke a scholarship from to allow the seniors to keep their scholarships?

Do they keep their scholarship? Who do you revoke a scholarship from to allow the seniors to keep their scholarships?
nobody would as the NCAA can provide a waiver of scholarship numbers for just the SR's for the spring and summer teams.

just don't expect this will be done for the winter sports though, as their season was basically done.

Reactions: jhmossy
so shouldnt you give an extra year to everyone now? Is it fair to Fr, So, and Jr's that they only now can have 3 chances at the NCAAT but noooooooooooooooo those SR's deserve 4 chances and f*** the other classes?

Reactions: uncfan in ky
It's a knee jerk reaction. And a selfish reaction. You don't get do overs just because things didn't go your way. You learn from the experience and move on. Everyone is affected by covid 19. Sorry about your luck. you're not that special.

so shouldnt you give an extra year to everyone now? Is it fair to Fr, So, and Jr's that they only now can have 3 chances at the NCAAT but noooooooooooooooo those SR's deserve 4 chances and f*** the other classes?
oh well move on from it and just be happy that the SR's will be given a extra year.

A whole season of eligibility because they missed a game or two? No way. Seniors who’s team didn’t make the tournament would get an extra year as well I’m assuming. Isn’t a logical decision imo.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
A whole season of eligibility because they missed a game or two? No way. Seniors who’s team didn’t make the tournament would get an extra year as well I’m assuming. Isn’t a logical decision imo.

Yeah, you could potentially have a guy like Brandon Robinson, who UNC could really use next year, get another year when his season is already over. That would be awesome but silly. Of course, some of these guys probably are ready to move on from college and live life anyway.

oh well move on from it and just be happy that the SR's will be given a extra year.

spring sports that barely started is fine............ but in basketball........ just move on and accept Sr's lost their last few games... they dont get do overs if they had season ending injuries.... they dont need a whole season because they missed the tournament.

It’s pretty silly. Most seniors played their entire season.

rereading my post again it look like I was including the BB and Wrestling SR's, I was not including them.

the spring sports that are just starting or were getting ready to start are the only ones to get that extra year.

Yes, it's not really going to benefit Duke but I'm fine with it.

I think they should. Season almost over or not can you imagine if it was your son and he was gonna get his only shot at March Madness and then told it’s not happening? I understand why everyone says no but I can’t imagine how devastated some of these kids are.

I think they should. Season almost over or not can you imagine if it was your son and he was gonna get his only shot at March Madness and then told it’s not happening? I understand why everyone says no but I can’t imagine how devastated some of these kids are.

What if a kid breaks his leg the last game next year? Why couldn't he sue the NCAA since they did it this year? I don't know. It sucks for those guys but I just don't see how they can do it.

How about they just reschedule the godamn tournament instead of cancelling it? Problem solved.

giphy.gif

How many would bitch if Robinson comes back for UNC, considering UNC wasn’t going to make it?

Let them all come back. Helps the game, gives the kids something good. I don’t see the downside.

They would have to add an available scholarship for every senior that wants to return. Would it be fair for team A who has 5 seniors returning to have 18 guys on scholarship while team B (who had no seniors) to only have 13?

Sports like outdoor track and field that haven’t even started yet, it should be automatic. By definition it’s a redshirt. Not that complicated.

Basketball...as much as I’m disappointed FSU’s best team in 40+ years isn’t gonna get a chance to stomp people on the way to the Final Four, and as much as I’m heart broken for guys like Trent Forrest...I just can’t see it.

But we are also talking about the same organization who already canceled things that aren’t taking place until late June, so who the hell knows.

What if a kid breaks his leg the last game next year? Why couldn't he sue the NCAA since they did it this year? I don't know. It sucks for those guys but I just don't see how they can do it.

I get what you’re saying but this is different. I just hate to see it end this way for so many people.

no extra year should be granted

they are students first, athletes second
if you do not believe me, just ask Mark Emmert

I’d say most people’s opinion is driven by how much it will benefit/not benefit their team.

Personally I don’t really care, I can relate to both sides arguments. I just don’t understand why they flat out cancelled the tourney and not postpone it and follow the NBAs lead. They are postponing games so the draft will be most likely postponed as well. If the semester ends and we are still on sports lockdown, then cancel it. Logistics can be changed, this is all unprecedented. I can’t believe the ncaa was so easily ready to part with the $$$ the tourney brings in.

Reactions: GE Nole
Rather than an extra year of eligibility next season,
Why not play this year's NCAA Tournament in the early Summer?
i.e, May/June?

Reactions: speedfrk
Rather than an extra year of eligibility next season,
Why not play this year's NCAA Tournament in the early Summer?
i.e, May/June?

this was my thought. Play the tournament in June and go ahead and give the spring athletes another year-basically everyone redshirts

ADVERTISEMENT