ADVERTISEMENT

Should American Children Be Made to Learn a Second Language Fluently?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Been seeing some back and forth on this. What do you think?

giphy.gif

Yes. I'm a dual citizen and the advantages of learning a second language far outweigh speaking only English. The world is shrinking and we cannot expect everyone to capitulate to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia. There will come a time - perhaps not the next generation or even the generation after that - where the "rest" of the world will go forth and leave the US in the rearview mirror without us giving some effort.

My sister is conversant in seven languages...it's not that difficult to learn two.

Reactions: Jaycg15 and UL_1986
From an economic standpoint, it won’t matter in the not too distant future. Real-time and accurate translation is pretty much hear and on a device just about every person in the developed world carries with them at all times.

And no, nobody should ever be forced to learn a second language.

Not at all....There are more important subjects for kids to learn, well before learning how to speak German. Look, students who pursue a second, third or more, language, are usually doing b/c of a career path. Some do so to make their resumes better. For someone such as my son, daughter....I don't feel they should have to.

I also disagree with a second language being required to graduate from HS.

Yes. I'm a dual citizen and the advantages of learning a second language far outweigh speaking only English. The world is shrinking and we cannot expect everyone to capitulate to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia. There will come a time - perhaps not the next generation or even the generation after that - where the "rest" of the world will go forth and leave the US in the rearview mirror without us giving some effort.

My sister is conversant in seven languages...it's not that difficult to learn two.
Agree with this 100%

I think it would be awesome to know a few languages. It should be heavily encouraged. I'm glad high-schools have students do this, though I wish students took it more seriously.

It can only be a good thing for a student to know multiple languages. Hard to argue against that. I just don’t think there is necessarily a need in US (most of it anyways) compared to a place like Europe where you must learn multiple languages.

Agree with this 100%
Why? I mean I agree its a great attribute to have. No doubt. And I would encouraged it.

But make it mandatory? No. Hell it should be more of a mandate to teach our kids manners, than how to speak multiple languages...

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I have a college degree in Spanish. I know that is pathetic. But my opinion on learning languages is if you are visiting a country that speaks a different language than you, you are obligated to at least be able to speak their language enough to get by without being a burden. That is common courtesy.

Not at all....There are more important subjects for kids to learn, well before learning how to speak German. Look, students who pursue a second, third or more, language, are usually doing b/c of a career path. Some do so to make their resumes better. For someone such as my son, daughter....I don't feel they should have to.

I also disagree with a second language being required to graduate from HS.
Needn't apply to UW then, ha.

Needn't apply to UW then, ha.
My son actually can speak multiple languages...But it was his choice. Hes going to school to be a minister...He travels with his church to multiple countries to spread the Gospel. But it was HIS choice. His career choice. No person should be forced to learn multiple languages. As for my daughter, she's a dental assistant. I mean unless she moves to Kentucky to practice , there is no need to learn a second language...Winking

Reactions: buckymel
My son actually can speak multiple languages...But it was his choice. Hes going to school to be a minister...He travels with his church to multiple countries to spread the Gospel. But it was HIS choice. His career choice. No person should be forced to learn multiple languages. As for my daughter, she's a dental assistant. I mean unless she moves to Kentucky to practice , there is no need to learn a second language...Winking
I do wonder how many kids UW's football team can't recruit because of UW's admission policy to require a second language in HS.

I do wonder how many kids UW's football team can't recruit because of UW's admission policy to require a second language in HS.
TBH, I doubt that plays much of a role....I mean how many of 100+ football players at Notre Dame, do you think meet their admission requirements? Or a Stanford?

I know when I was in HS, it was a requirement to have a foreign language to graduate...I mean, I guess I get that. I took Spanish I and II...Took Latin as a senior, but only b/c there were a ton of hot chic's in the class....Laughing

Forced to no. You can’t force the lazy and stupid to do anything.
Yikes....So someone is lazy and stupid if they don't choose to learn a second language? Or did I misinterpret ?

No, because the rest of the world for the most part speaks English fairly fluently. Maybe not the old timers, but folks 40 and under at least. I know tons of Germans and Austrians, especially, that speak better English than most Americans. If you move to a different country, then yes, you should probably learn the language. If you travel a lot and just expect everyone to speak your native tongue, you're being a dick. At least try to speak their language. Use a book if you have to. People appreciate that you at least try to communicate with them in their language, even though they probably speak at least a little bit of English. You will probably have the toughest time finding English speaking people in most Asian countries.

Why? I mean I agree its a great attribute to have. No doubt. And I would encouraged it.

But make it mandatory? No. Hell it should be more of a mandate to teach our kids manners, than how to speak multiple languages...
Makes traveling much easier, also grants far more opportunity in the job market. Preps people to be more linguistic and have a broader brush of language. I think it’s important. Lots of other places around the world, people speak multiple languages...we shouldn’t limit ourselves as human beings bc of pride.

Reactions: all4theillini
We’re forced to learn chemistry and Calculus. I’ve never once used that in my everyday life after high school or college.
Do you know about this "common core" math they are teaching kids now? Total shit show. They used to teach us to simplify things, now they teach them to complicate the hell out of it before solving. They also don't teach cursive anymore. How sad that kids won't even be able to sign their names. They better master that digital signature. Laughing

Do you know about this "common core" math they are teaching kids now? Total shit show. They used to teach us to simplify things, now they teach them to complicate the hell out of it before solving. They also don't teach cursive anymore. How sad that kids won't even be able to sign their names. They better master that digital signature. Laughing
Lol what?!?! You’re kidding? That’s not good, cursive even though I hardly use it unless as you said, I’m signing my name...should def be taught in school. That goes back to early grade school. My lord.

We’re forced to learn chemistry and Calculus. I’ve never once used that in my everyday life after high school or college.
Sure you have...Its called "problem solving skills ".

Makes traveling much easier, also grants far more opportunity in the job market. Preps people to be more linguistic and have a broader brush of language. I think it’s important. Lots of other places around the world, people speak multiple languages...we shouldn’t limit ourselves as human beings bc of pride.
Pride? It has zero to do with pride. We start making this a requirement, then shit, we m8ght as well start telling kids what to major in.

Can’t really compare us to most other countries though. In a place like Germany you are bordered by probably 5 countries that all speak a different language and it’s in an area the size of Texas. It would be like traveling from Dallas to Houston to San Antonio to Austin and each city having a different primary language.

I am on board with children being encouraged to learn multiple languages those. I just don’t think it should be mandatory.

Reactions: SNU0821
I don't know for certain, as I don't have kids. I just have a lot of friends that are elementary teachers and I know it's a joke.
Every parent I know has issues with teaching their children math. It’s all ****ed up now from what I’ve been told. Some think it makes more sense though but why go and ruin something that was already pretty simple in the first place?

ADVERTISEMENT