Shane Battier put Lunardi in his place.

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Ipartiedwithhopgood, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've enjoyed him all year.

I think he's just great, and I hope he likes broadcasting.

That said, he had a fun exchange with Lunardi tonight during our game. I understand Louisville is going through it these days and have their share of issues. But, at the end of a fairly lengthy conversation in the first half between Lunardi, Battier, and the play -by - play announcer, Lunardi took a shot at Louisville saying something along the lines of, "Well, glad Louisville didn't interrupt us by scoring!" ... a real zinger. Kind of unnecessary, I mean really the guy looks like a rodent. We get it. Louisville can't score. I'm sure somebody laughed.

Anyway, Battier put him on watch and kind of subtly gave it back to him. Told him to put a jersey on and try to score on Harrell. He then made another funny comment saying how funny it was how the further away from the game people are the easier they think it looks to play. And Battier also said seeding doesn't really matter, just get in and see how you do. Pretty much saying, hey Lunardi you don't matter as much as you think or ESPN wants you to matter.

I just kind of appreciate Battier going the direction he went with that. He could have disregarded it or even piled on. But no, he reminded Lunardi he's a tool.

2. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, Battier is coming along. His first few broadcasts were painful to listen to, but I think he's found his niche.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

3. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I think Battier is pretty bad. Dude is extremely awkward on air.

Telling a 5'10 analyst to put on a jersey is a pretty weak sauce thing to say. The jab, though unnecessary, was pretty funny given the brutal nature of that game.

If somebody made that joke about a low scoring UK game, I wouldn't get upset about it. I'd rather hear that than somebody like Battier saying something ridiculous like "seeding doesn't matter" when it obviously does.

Can't say that either Lunardi or Battier are important to the network though.
    This post was edited on 2/23 11:22 PM by manu1433

4. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

anon_0astpxev9h4gk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've always been a fan of Battier, very intelligent guy,

5. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

He just knows a lot about the game and a lot of the subtle things that go on out there. And he's not really trying to hi-jack the game he just puts a good touch on it all.

6. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I hate the argument that just because you can't play the game means you can't analyze it or use numbers or whatever. Didn't see that battier comment but really low class

7. champs99and04

champs99and04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Didn't really think much of the entire exchange other than that it was pretty funny.

As for Lunardi, it isn't that he's bad at his job, it's just that there are a ton of other people capable of doing it just as well. It's pretty easy, yet he gets lauded as some sort of genius.

8. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

I think it's all about context.

I'm not claiming a good analyst needs to be a former player to understand the game and provide insight.

Lunardi was trying to be funny - like I said I have no doubt somebody laughed. And I'm not saying he annoyed me. I've never liked him so nothing that he would ever say would fire me up. But, as a viewer, when he felt inclined to give his two cents, I found the response by Battier to be kind of funny, a little surprising, and well...kind of a middle finger to him. And I can appreciate one man giving another man the middle finger. That's good times no matter how you slice it, no matter who is or is not right or wrong.

I've always found Lunardi to be nothing more than proof the NCAA committee is predictable in their selection process and seeding. So he does have some value, in that regard.

9. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

BTW Duke guys, what is the story with Saluimon? Did they ever say? I know there are advantages to being private (don't have to tell a UNC fan that) but I thought something would eventually come out.

10. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not sure how Battier could improve from before - he's already given us the single greatest interview moment in draft history:

Well, that's great.

11. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

Cory, we put Sulaimon in the attic. Do not go in the attic!

12. jamo0001

jamo0001 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bilas is the only Dukie who is good at the job he's doing at ESPN. Jay Williams and Battier are both hot garbage on the air.

(and I don't have to be an experienced broadcaster to say that, Shane)

13. MGoBlue1882

MGoBlue1882 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I went to high school with Battier's brother. Shane was a legendary player at DCDS, he came back on several occasions to address the school and the basketball team. He seems really intelligent, I've always respected him even though I'm not a Duke fan.

14. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

I see a common thread here. Just common.

15. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My view Champs. Plus it seems that Lunardi often has an agenda.

16. Wojoman

Wojoman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Jay Williams was not good when he first started. It was tough to listen too. But I think he is pretty good now. not great but not "hot garbage". at least not anymore that Seth Greenberg is. Williams has vastly improved since he started doing this. He still has a ways to go but he will continue to get better. I think Battier may be on the same projection. Battier was painfully bad to listen too the first couple of broadcast but he is improving. And Battier is very intelligent. He will be fine in a few years.

17. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Battier's terrible. With that said, really looking forward to the day coming soon when ESPN CBB coverage is an all-Dukie affair!

Louisville is a bad offensive team. You don't need to be a former player to see that.

And seeding does matter...unless you're the 2014 Kentucky Wildcats.

18. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He definitely seems like a good guy. Always has. Same with Jay Williams. That doesn't mean he's good in the booth or the studio. Same applies to Tony Delk- one of my favorite Wildcats of all-time. Great guy. Great player. Terrible on camera.

Some guys have it. Some don't. Just because you know basketball or are intelligent (or attended Duke) doesn't mean you'll be a good analyst.

19. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

pretty much agree on all points. Battier is awful. Hoping he'll get better, but some people just don't have it.

They should clone Bilas and just let him call all the games. Battier and Jay Williams are probably the worst in the business right now.

20. coryfly

Expand Collapse

I think Battier and Williams are both pretty average. Greenberg is a petty man but he is decent when it comes to analysis. I'm just not real sure what Williams provides. The biggest issue with him is he can't keep up with the conversations and most of what he says is often disjointed. I just don't think he is quite right, though he seems to be a pretty cool dude. I think Battier has some potential though. Bilas is becoming more and more biased but is still quite good. I like him better as an analyst but he is still up there as an announcer.

21. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Lunardi is annoying. He thinks he is a lot bigger deal than he actually is. Bracketology isn't near as tough as some believe. However, having watched UofL several times, it does sometimes look like a BAC meeting might break out.

I agree with Wojo that Jay is much better and I like him.I know this is against the norm but it seems a few of these guys actually get better with some experience. Bilas is good because he is an old pro flashback to his first year or two and he was probably receiving Battier type reviews. Battier will get better he is still green behind the ears.

22. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Battier is my all-time favorite (hence my username), but I agree w/ most of what manu says here. The idea that someone has to be able to do something himself in order to have credibility criticizing someone else is silly.

I do see it in the context of longer back-and-forth banter that was excusably silly overall, but that particular line of counter-attack irks me.

Battier is not out of the "bad" category regarding broadcasting yet, but he is getting there. He's shown more improvement in less than a year than Jason Williams has in several years.

23. Jhmoss1812

Jhmoss1812 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I honestly think Shane is the worst commentator on ESPN right now. I actually prefer Jay Williams to him. That's all that needs to be said.

24. coryfly

Expand Collapse

I think Battier is much better than Williams, mainly because I find him personable. I think Williams has shown he just isn't going to get much better while the potential is there for Shane. Of course, it is all a matter of personal preference and taste anyway. Most people like Raftery and he grates on my nerves something terrible.

25. dmaso44

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

26. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd say that there won't be a lot who agree with me on this, but does anybody else feel like Battier has a weird voice? Just something about his voice that sounds unusual - and not a good unusual.

Off the top of my head, Bilas is the only college basketball guy that ESPN has that I like.

Pretty much all of their main analyst, announcers, and writers range from mediocre to garbage.

Williams - mediocre
    Vitale - garbage
    Greenberg - mediocre
    Katz - mediocre
    O'neil - garbage
    Medcalf - garbage
    Goodman - replaced Gottlieb as the resident troll - garbage
    Doris Burke - I actually don't mind her that much......but good lord, that voice :(
    Brennan - garbage

If there are some others that like, I'm surely not thinking of them off the top of my head.

27. jamo0001

jamo0001 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Doris Burke and Cara Lawson are both WAY better than Jay Williams and Battier. And it's not even close.

28. dukiejay

dukiejay Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think it's something that went on and on for quite a while until something (major) had to be done. He just had a bad attitude that reached a certain point where the staff felt there was nothing that would get through to him anymore. I feel bad for him....but no one player on any team is bigger than the program.

29. dukiejay

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Jay Williams is just uncomfortable. And, IMO, he hasn't gotten much better over the years. There's a thread on our board right now about this and I took a little heat for not giving the most flattering review to Jay. I don't think he's awful....but I'd agree he's pretty average and has been for some time.

Battier is going to be good. Heck, just the progress he's made in the last three months has been impressive, IMO. He's still raw with a long ways to go, though.

As for Greenburg....I like him and think he's pretty good. He does still on occasion seem to be petty or holding a grudge....and if he loses that I think he's really, really good.

Bilas is better on the set than he is calling games, IMO. I don't think he's bad calling games, but he has a tendency to get on his soapbox and just keep going and going. It's not the place for it, if you ask me.

30. FlGator22

FlGator22 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I always enjoy when former college athletes or professional athletes think they're above criticism from people that didn't play at that level or even at all. It's a retort that is used when they have nothing else to fall back on and just want to use their former athletic prowess as an advantage in an argument.

If you were a much better athlete and have a much better argument, great. But just because you were a much better athlete doesn't mean you have a much better argument than others who have studied and religiously watch the game.

31. Wojoman

Wojoman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I would listen to Jay Williams and Shane Battier for every single game I watched if it meant I didn't have to listen to Doris Burke. She is terrible. And I don't think Jay and Shane are that great. But Shane is getting much better. I cannot stand Doris Burke.

I do also agree with DJ about Bilas. He can be a huge soapbox guy. Which can be good for analysis and interviews on TV or radio but not so good during an actually game. However I do think he is still probably one of the best of what is out there

32. sven187

sven187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd score on Harrell with ease. It would be so bad for him that he'd probably quit basketball forever.

33. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The hair he was growing on his palms was effecting his shot.

/projection

34. coryfly

Expand Collapse

Yeah, Jay seems like a really cool dude and I have no issues with him whatsoever. I just don't think he is very good.

No doubt Battier has plenty of potential, especially to be so new to it all. One thing that comes across pretty clearly to me is how genuine he seems.

Bilas as an analyst is without a peer. He is just tremendous. As an announcer he seems to not be nearly as objective and, like you said, a little preachy. Still, he has quite a bit of equity built up.

35. 4UK

4UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree. I think Jay Williams is really good. Battier still has that awkward "I'm learning on the job" feeling, but he'll certainly get better. I disagree about Greenberg; I think he's good too, and I think he and Williams have good chemistry. I actually think the ESPN stable is pretty strong right now outside of Jeff Goodman, who I'm still trying to figure out how he got on air.

36. dukiejay

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

^ I forgot about Goodman. He makes everyone uncomfortable. Not a fan.

37. MGoBlue1882

MGoBlue1882 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that is very true. I'll give Battier a few more years as analyst before I make a final judgement. I think the Battier has the potential to be good at it.

38. UKBrassowTipIN

UKBrassowTipIN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

To be a well spoken guy, he's pretty gorrid. Plus he's probably the only professional player in history to be on a team that wins a world championship and celebrates by going to a denny's...doesnt get much more Duke than that

39. Dukiepride77

Dukiepride77 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Shane is good by any means. However, I'd take 10 Shanes over 1 Len Elmore. He sucks something awful.

40. dmaso44

Expand Collapse

Lunardi feeling salty busted on Greenberg a little after Seth said Maryland's court storming was shameful. Lunardi made a comment about VT students should have stormed court if tgey made the NCAAT