ADVERTISEMENT

Shaka gets it

BrobaFapp

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2009
Houston
Not just a home run hire but a grand slam IMO. As much as Marshall would have been great also, I think Shaka was the right choice and best fit for Texas right now. This video is proof.

Shaka's message

I hope he makes Texas a powerhouse. The resources suggest they shouldn't be anything other. We need another powerhouse in the conference.

WVU-Texas games could be pretty interesting.... Press Virginia vs Havoc Defense. lol

I'm not even sure Huggs sticks with the press next year though.

This post was edited on 4/5 6:20 PM by doogie503

Well I do appreciate that coming from Jayhawk. He and TJ Ford are becoming close, if TJ gets all his degree issues worked out he would make a great assistant and a recruiting beast. But I don't think he has his degree yet and would need to have that to be on staff.

This post was edited on 4/5 6:22 PM by LonghornDale

I think VCU has rights to the work HAVOC at least in that sense of the use. They would have to come up with a new name or term at Texas.

Originally posted by LonghornDale:
I think VCU has rights to the work HAVOC at least in that sense of the use. They would have to come up with a new name or term at Texas.
I wonder if Shaka will stick with that style at UT. If so we'll probably see a different type of player at UT. Don't see McDonalds All Americans wanting to play that style of ball.

Originally posted by doogie503:

I wonder if Shaka will stick with that style at UT. If so we'll probably see a different type of player at UT. Don't see McDonalds All Americans wanting to play that style of ball.
He outlined everything he wants and will look for in a recruit, and defense is something they have to be very committed to. But I disagree on McD AA's not wanting to play for a coach like that. He is young and exciting and proved himself already. And the hotbeds in Texas, plus he has a wider range now and can easily push out to west coast and well as back to the east coast to find his players. There a few studs coming up in the 2016 and 2017 classes in Texas that I think he will really go after. He nailed it out of park on his PC on the LHN on Friday. He was a rockstar.

This post was edited on 4/5 6:44 PM by LonghornDale

He outlined everything he wants and will look for in a recruit, and defense is something they have to be very committed to. But I disagree on McD AA's not wanting to play for a coach like that. He is young and exciting and proved himself already. And the hotbeds in Texas, plus he has a wider range now and can easily push out to west coast and we'll as back to the east coast to find his players. There a few few studs coming up in the 2016 and 2017 classes in Texas that I think he will really go after. He nailed it out of park on his PC on the LHN on Friday. He was a rockstar.
I'm not talking about his personality... I'm talking about the style of basketball he's known for. Playing balls to the wall and diving on the floor for every loose ball.... shuffling guys in and out to keep them fresh. Probably won't see as many highly recruited guys signing with Texas. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

But who knows... maybe he'll adjust his coaching style to his new program and a new level of player that he has access to at a program like UT.

He outlined everything he wants and will look for in a recruit, and defense is something they have to be very committed to. But I disagree on McD AA's not wanting to play for a coach like that. He is young and exciting and proved himself already. And the hotbeds in Texas, plus he has a wider range now and can easily push out to west coast and we'll as back to the east coast to find his players. There a few few studs coming up in the 2016 and 2017 classes in Texas that I think he will really go after. He nailed it out of park on his PC on the LHN on Friday. He was a rockstar.
I'm not talking about his personality... I'm talking about the style of basketball he's known for. Playing balls to the wall and diving on the floor for every loose ball.... shuffling guys in and out to keep them fresh. Probably won't see as many highly recruited guys signing with Texas. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

But who knows... maybe he'll adjust his coaching style to his new program and a new level of player that he has access to at a program like UT.
Works for UK, the platoon style. But you're right, don't even really have to have bunch of highly rated McD AA's to be successful just need your type of guy who fully commits to your style and buys in. Look at Wisky, don't think they have single one on their squad.

Texas either become the big bad wolf or humpty dumpty. Nothing in between. I think they will blows everybody away.

Well Patterson has made to great hires, the football team wasn't going to turn around in one season after Strong got there but it's on its way and once he finally gets his type of QB look out. And now with Smart the future is much brighter for Basketball. Now we have to figure out baseball, Augie is the best around but his time is coming to an end and now we dropped our 7th straight today. Now we need to find a good one with another cool S name...lol. but it's a good start with Smart and Strong....brains and brawn.

Damn, that’s hard to read.

Admittedly, I was just as guilty. I thought it was going to work too.

giphy.gif

I don’t think Belien wants to be at a school like UT and the recruiting expectations that come with it. Although I do think he’d like Austin.

I know this sounds crazy but I feel like Belien would prefer to be at a school like BC.

I don’t think Belien wants to be at a school like UT and the recruiting expectations that come with it. Although I do think he’d like Austin.

I know this sounds crazy but I feel like Belien would prefer to be at a school like BC.
Interesting take. I think Michigan as a program/expectations are much closer to Texas than BC. The NBA itself has much more spotlight/pressure than any college job that isn't a blue blood.

Interesting take. I think Michigan as a program/expectations are much closer to Texas than BC. The NBA itself has much more spotlight/pressure than any college job that isn't a blue blood.

Right, and he left Michigan because he grew tired of the type of expectations.

I have a hard time picturing Donovan as a Texas guy. Oil and water. I never thought he would work in Oklahoma. I'm sure I know nothing and i'm typing out of my ass, but I don't see it.
I think he'd work well anywhere he went. Unless some other NBA team wants to take a chance on him I don't see his situation improving at all in OKC anytime soon. He's obviously doing fine there but OKC isn't the type of franchise that's going to get 2 superstars to just sign out of nowhere anytime soon. I think being a 1st round/2nd round playoff team is their ceiling and I don't see why that would change now or in the off-season.

There's been rumors of him going to Texas for a couple of years now. I think the time has finally come where Texas is ready to move on. If it comes down to Donovan and Beilien being their top 2 choices I don't know why you wouldn't make Donovan the higher priority.

It may come down to whether or not Texas wants to wait for the NBA playoffs though. OKC is probably going to make it in so that adds another 2 weeks to the end of the NBA season. If Texas lets Shaka go they likely do it sometime in late March. I'm not sure they're willing to go 4-6 weeks without a head coach.

I don't know what will end up happening but there's a handful of interesting possibilities here with Texas.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think he'd work well anywhere he went. Unless some other NBA team wants to take a chance on him I don't see his situation improving at all in OKC anytime soon.

There's been rumors of him going to Texas for a couple of years now. I think the time has finally come where Texas is ready to move on. If it comes down to Donovan and Beilien being their top 2 choices I don't know why you wouldn't make Donovan the higher priority.

It may come down to whether or not Texas wants to wait for the NBA playoffs though. OKC is probably going to make it in so that adds another 2 weeks to the end of the NBA season. If Texas lets Shaka go they likely do it sometime in late March. I'm not sure they're willing to go 4-6 weeks without a head coach.

I don't know what will end up happening but there's a handful of interesting possibilities here with Texas.
A ...The right coach could make Texas a huge contender on the national landscape. So much money/resources, fanbase, infrastructure, talent pool. It's amazing to watch anyone fail there.

Reactions: BrobaFapp
A ...The right coach could make Texas a huge contender on the national landscape. So much money/resources, fanbase, infrastructure, talent pool. It's amazing to watch anyone fail there.
It's perfect for a guy like Donovan. He essentially had all of those same advantages at a similar school in Florida so he already knows how to handle the fanbase, school and donors. He's still pretty young. He's lived up to and exceeded expectations everywhere he's ever been. It's just the perfect fit. His price tag might be the only thing that Texas isn't interested in though. He would certainly demand top 5 money and I'm sure the clauses in his contract would be pretty demanding as well.

It's perfect for a guy like Donovan. He essentially had all of those same advantages at a similar school in Florida so he already knows how to handle the fanbase, school and donors. He's still pretty young. He's lived up to and exceeded expectations everywhere he's ever been. It's just the perfect fit. His price tag might be the only thing that Texas isn't interested in though. He would certainly demand top 5 money and I'm sure the clauses in his contract would be pretty demanding as well.

Donovan is showing just how good of a coach he is this year. He isn’t leaving OKC unless he is fired and even then a NBA team would certainly pick him up.

Donovan is showing just how good of a coach he is this year. He isn’t leaving OKC unless he is fired and even then a NBA team would certainly pick him up.
Possibly. I don't know his situation very well at all. I just don't see him doing much better than what he's doing now with the roster he's got. I still feel like you make him the top priority if you are Texas but if there's any uncertainty with him you go after Beilein.

My upset for next week is Texas beating WVU. After losing by 40 at WVU earlier they get the mountaineers at home for revenge. Plus Texas still has a chance to get in the tournament so that gives them even more motivation.

My upset for next week is Texas beating WVU. After losing by 40 at WVU earlier they get the mountaineers at home for revenge. Plus Texas still has a chance to get in the tournament so that gives them even more motivation.
geez I hope not. we are essentially a lock to miss the tourney. Every loss is beneficial right now, screw that NIT crap.

There's been rumors of him going to Texas for a couple of years now.
you have my attention.

where are these rumors coming from?

but hey we're Texas... I fully expect us to fvck this all up and either keep Shaka another year or hire a very underwhelming coach.

we suck until we don't... that's our HB motto... basketball...football... baseball. At least baseball is off to a solid start, lettuce see for how long.

ADVERTISEMENT