ADVERTISEMENT

SEC officiating - it's what I have been saying it is

kyjeff1

Sep 8, 2012
It’s a Fact, SEC Officiating is the Worst in the Country - KY Insider
http://kyinsider.com/its-a-fact-sec-officiating-is-the-worst-in-the-country/?amp

It literally is the worst in the country. How can anyone in the SEC get good offensive and defensive efficiency ratings when everything is a foul?

I've said it on here for years, when I watch BIG10 games, there are full on collisions that are play-on's, but in the SEC, every bump is a foul. You can't D up if you're afraid of picking up a cheap foul and how efficient is your offense when your best players are on the pine in foul trouble?

Give me BIG10/ACC/BIG12 refs any day.

Heck, I loved the way the game was called when UK played at Texas Tech. The game had a nice flow to it.

You fans of non SEC teams just better hope you don't get an SEC crew in any of your NCAAT games. It's not fun.

Agree OP but the SEC officiating has been abysmal throughout my lifetime.

The officials do everything in there power to help Kentucky and only Kentucky.

Carolina got screwed against Miss St last week because they were too close to Kentucky in the SEC standings. This happens every year. Kentucky gets every break imaginable.

I rewatched the 2010 Carolina beatdown of Kentucky last month. Holy crap all the favorable calls Kentucky got in that game.

Sorry but I don’t want to see a defense get rewarded for bumping, grabbing, hand checking etc....
Not sure why it’s so hard to call a foul a foul.
It’s crazy that it seems like different conferences have different guidelines but it looks like they do.

Sorry but I don’t want to see a defense get rewarded for bumping, grabbing, hand checking etc....
It’s crazy that it seems like different conferences have different guidelines but it looks like they do.
Define a foul though. If you're going to call every fingernail touch and every bump, it's going to be a free throw shooting contest. Nobody wants that.

How can anyone in the SEC get good offensive and defensive efficiency ratings when everything is a foul?
I get the frustration, but foul shots figure into efficiency ratings. It's one of the reasons FSU's efficiency numbers aren't that great.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

Carolina got screwed against Miss St last week because they were too close to Kentucky in the SEC standings. This happens every year. Kentucky gets every break imaginable.

I rewatched the 2010 Carolina beatdown of Kentucky last month. Holy crap all the favorable calls Kentucky got in that game.
UK hasn't won the SEC in 4 years bub and I would not be surprised if UK was right there with South Carolina and Auburn in the number of fouls called on them per game. All three teams play a very physical brand of basketball.

Define a foul though. If you're going to call every fingernail touch and every bump, it's going to be a free throw shooting contest. Nobody wants that.
IMO a foul is when the defense gains a clear advantage through physical contact.
The little stuff that gets called 30 feet from the basket are the worst.

I get the frustration, but foul shots figure into efficiency ratings. It's one of the reasons FSU's efficiency numbers aren't that great.
I get that, but when the whistle blows on every play, as a player, you can't just play, you have to always avoid contact. If players are allowed to play like they do in the BIG10, where nobody fouls out, you can play hard all game long and not worry about it.

That doesn't happen in the SEC.

Remember South Carolina's run in the 2017 NCAAT? They were extremely physical and pretty much manhandled every opponent they played and the refs let them do it. But they didn't do squat in the SEC. Came in 3rd with 6 losses. Just ask duke fans about their game with South Carolina in the tournament. Once South Carolina was able to play without getting called for touch fouls, it was on. And that's just one example. 2014 UK is another one.

Lol, your team shot 37 free throws last night against UGA, you shot 34 against UK
Tell us more crybaby

IMO a foul is when the defense gains a clear advantage through physical contact.
The little stuff that gets called 30 feet from the basket are the worst.
Correct and those off the ball fouls are a constant in the SEC.

There are games where guys get called for a foul while going after a rebound, both guys bump into each other, one guy gets the ball and is ready to head up court… .whistle on the guy that didn't get the rebound. What's the point of that?

Every SEC game is a avoid all contact contest for the players. That's not how it should be.

UK hasn't won the SEC in 4 years bub and I would not be surprised if UK was right there with South Carolina and Auburn in the number of fouls called on them per game. All three teams play a very physical brand of basketball.
Really? Who did?

Really? Who did?
Texas A&M and UK were both 13-5 in 2016, but UK lost to them on a BS tech down in College station that year, so aTm had the tiebreaker.
UK won it in 2017 (forgot about that one)
Tennessee and Auburn won in 2018
LSU won the regular season title last year.

Unbalanced schedules suck.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I get that, but when the whistle blows on every play, as a player, you can't just play, you have to always avoid contact. If players are allowed to play like they do in the BIG10, where nobody fouls out, you can play hard all game long and not worry about it.

Remember South Carolina's run in the 2017 NCAAT? They were extremely physical and pretty much manhandled every opponent they played and the refs let them do it. But they didn't do squat in the SEC. Came in 3rd with 6 losses. Just ask duke fans about their game with South Carolina in the tournament. Once South Carolina was able to play without getting called for touch fouls, it was on. And that's just one example. 2014 UK is another one.

I have a hard time believing that South Carolina got a better whistle than Duke.

Several things get my attention : 1. How can a 280 pounder run over a 245 pounder and they play on and a 160 pounder knicks an off hand and they stop the game?
2. How do the stars get to take three to five steps when the rule is two?

Reactions: kyjeff1
Not sure how Big 12 officiating compares in general, but it sure seems like there are a lot of touch calls on the perimeter. Hate that crap, especially when they’re allowing dudes to knock people over in the paint. I’m fine with allowing a physical game as long as it’s consistent.
Are BIG12 officials easily influenced by the home crowd?
I'm amazed at how SEC officials call games in jacked up arenas. I know it's tough, college kids are yelling at you and saying you suck, but you still have to call the game with consistency.
Like I said, don't get an SEC crew in the NCAAT, they can easily control a game.

I have a hard time believing that South Carolina got a better whistle than Duke.
They did in that game. South carolina muscled duke all game long. The game was played in South Carolina IIRC.
I couldn't believe what I was watching. The refs let them play, but duke couldn’t match the physicality that South Carolina was playing with.
If it was a tight whistle, Duke wins that game, no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Texas A&M and UK were both 13-5 in 2016, but UK lost to them on a BS tech down in College station that year, so aTm had the tiebreaker.
UK won it in 2017 (forgot about that one)
Tennessee and Auburn won in 2018
LSU won the regular season title last year.

Unbalanced schedules suck.
Wait till Bernie says that only 2 five stars can play at once.
Kentucky will never win a game.

I'm amazed at how SEC officials call games in jacked up arenas. I know it's tough, college kids are yelling at you and saying you suck, but you still have to call the game with consistency.
Like I said, don't get an SEC crew in the NCAAT, they can easily control a game.

I think raucous crowds always influence officiating. Which is why I get annoyed when people act like it only happens in Allen. I see it everywhere and the numbers back it up. KU is something like 35th in foul disparity and middle of the pack in the league. The ones on the lower end are those with poor attendance like Texas.

Reactions: kyjeff1
You know the other thing they keep doing? Cal has gotten called for being out of the coaches box time and time again. They literally stop the game to either warn him or T him up. One time, he was standing on the coaches box line and got called. Really?

Ever seen Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams during a game? The coaches box is just a suggestion for those guys.

I think raucous crowds always influence officiating. Which is why I get annoyed when people act like it only happens in Allen. I see it everywhere and the numbers back it up. KU is something like 35th in foul disparity and middle of the pack in the league. The ones on the lower end are those with poor attendance like Texas.
Oh yeah, I'm sure I would be effected too, but I would at least TRY to call a fair game.

Auburn shot 45 free throws to UK's 24 a few weeks ago. But Auburn also shot damn near 23 three pointers in that game, UK shot 16.

UK got called for everything and was in foul trouble all game long.

Now watch what happens this Saturday. I bet the game is completely different.

Of course, Auburn is nowhere near as good away from home… I wonder why.

Devan Downey was unstoppable that game. He went bananas.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

It’s why UK fans are generalized as constantly blaming the refs. We stand out because we only play football schools, so there aren’t going to be as large a vocal fan base from any other team in the conference. I’m not saying every loss is due to the refs, but the statistics aren’t fabricated.

Dont notice much b/c Kansas has a ton of fans at away games----WVU in morgantown is always a wrestlefest but that is not unique to Kansas playing there.

Most years we play in about 2-3 horribly officiated games. Other than that it's mostly fine. The UK-USCjr game this year was the worst called basketball game I've seen this decade and that crew should never work together again. They had a long stretch where almost every call was wrong or really weak.

I agree SEC officials call way too much ticky tack shit and ruin the flow a lot. But, I think our conference recruits more players that you'd consider athletes as opposed to pure basketball skill. Most of our teams play in your face, tough, aggressive D. Most of our teams have quick guards that can beat their man and get to the rim. I can see the fouls and FT descrepency being different. I just think officials call games based on tendencies.. So there's a lot of SEC games that don't need to be called so tight but do because of the perception. There's probably games in other conferences that do need to be called that way but don't. That's why you see a lot UK fans call out weak whistles while other game threads call out a lot of no calls IMO.

http://kyinsider.com/its-a-fact-sec-officiating-is-the-worst-in-the-country/?amp

It literally is the worst in the country. How can anyone in the SEC get good offensive and defensive efficiency ratings when everything is a foul?

I've said it on here for years, when I watch BIG10 games, there are full on collisions that are play-on's, but in the SEC, every bump is a foul. You can't D up if you're afraid of picking up a cheap foul and how efficient is your offense when your best players are on the pine in foul trouble?

Heck, I loved the way the game was called when UK played at Texas Tech. The game had a nice flow to it.

You fans of non SEC teams just better hope you don't get an SEC crew in any of your NCAAT games. It's not fun.
Another article on poor reffing . . . from AU this time.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball...p-15-matchup-between-auburn-and-kentucky.html

You’re a Kansas fan! No one gets a better whistle than Kansas.

Actually, the numbers (and eyes) show that Duke gets by far the best whistle. Prove me wrong.

fjbpUK.gif

It's funny that now that the SEC numbers are starting to be tracked by someone . . . ALMOST EIGHT HUNDRED MORE FOULS CALLED than the next-highest conference (ACC)!

Not 100 more fouls called.
Not 200
Not 300
Not 400
Not 500
Not 600
Not 700

Imagine playing in a conference that gets almost EIGHT HUNDRED fewer calls a season! Of course the other conferences feel like we always blame the refs. Our conference gets 800 more chances to appear paranoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan

SEC refs seem to ref like NCAA tourney refs do. Err on the side of not letting teams play football on the basketball court, which is a detriment to Wisconsin and MSU type of teams when they don't have clear-cut elite talent.

It also benefits teams from conferences outside the Big Ten because they know what to expect, whereas teams from the Big Ten, aside from Iowa, find it as a culture shock that you can't hip check and hand check and make your forearm a temporary resident of an offensive player's body.......

ADVERTISEMENT