ADVERTISEMENT

SEC: Best players by position for each SEC team last 15 years (Starting 5)

b4bama

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2001
Thought it would be interesting to do this... Would like to hear everyones opinion/thoughts. Remember last 15 years (2003-2018)
Alabama:
PG: Collin Sexton 6'2
SG: Levi Randolph 6'5
SF: Alonzo Gee 6'7
PF: JaMychal Green 6'9
C: Jamareo Davidson 6'11
Arkansas
PG: Courtney Fortson 5'11
SG: Ronnie Brewer 6'7
SF: Michael Qualls 6'6
PF: Bobby Portis 6'10
C: Moses Kinglsey 6'11
Auburn
PG: Toney Douglas 6'2
SG: KT Harrell 6'4
SF: Mustapha Heron 6'5
PF: Korvortney Barber 6'7
C: Austin Wiley 6'10
Florida
PG: Erving Walker 5'9
SG: Bradley Beal 6'5
SF: Corey Brewer 6'9
PF: Al Horford 6'10
C: Joakim Noah 6'11
Georgia
PG: JJ Frazier 5'10
SG: Travis Leslie 6'4
SF: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 6'6
PF: Yante Maten 6'8
C: Trey Thompkins 6'11
Kentucky
PG: John Wall 6'4
SG: Devin Booker 6'6
SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 6'7
PF: Anthony Davis 6'11
C: Karl Anthony Towns 7'0
LSU
PG: Darrel Mitchell 5'11
SG: Antonio Blakeney 6'4
SF: Ben Simmons 6'9
PF: Johnny O'Bryant 6'9
C: Justin Hamilton 7'0
Ole Miss
PG: Stefan Moody 5'10
SG: Terrico White 6'5
SF: Zach Graham 6'5
PF: Murphy Holloway 6'7
C: Dwayne Curtis 6'9
Mississippi State
PG: Dee Bost 6'2
SG: Jamont Gordon 6'4
SF: Ravern Johnson 6'7
PF: Jarvis Varnardo 6'9
C: Arnett Moultre 6'11
South Carolina
PG: Devan Downey 5'9
SG: Sindarius Thornwell 6'5
SF: Michael Carrera 6'5
PF: Dominique Archie 6'7
C: Chris Silva 6'9
Tennessee
PG: Chris Lofton 6'2
SG: Jordan McRae 6'5
SF: Tobias Harris 6'8
PF: Jarnell Stokes 6'8
C: Wayne Chism 6'9
Vanderbilt
PG: Wade Baldwin 6'4
SG: John Jenkins 6'4
SF: Jeffrey Taylor 6'7
PF: Damian Jones 6'10
C: AJ Ogilvie 6'10

Which team has the best starting 5?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Based on what they did in college id make some changes to Kentucky:

Pg Ulis
Sg Monk
Sf MKG
Pf Jones
C Davis

(Cousins, Towns and Davis all played center in college so I just picked one. Could have picked WCS at power forward since he played there his last year but went with jones instead).

Ulis over Wall because of defense and shooting and decision making. Sophomore Ulis was just better than freshman wall. Hard for some people to believe but it's true. Ulis was just infinitely better on defense. People forget about Wall getting torched by Joe Mazulla and having 9 turnovers in that E8 loss.

Marshall Henderson should be on Ole miss roster, I assume we’re just skipping A&m and Mizzou?

(Cousins, Towns and Davis all played center in college so I just picked one. Could have picked WCS at power forward since he played there his last year but went with jones instead).
As crazy as it sounds they were all listed as forwards in the UK media guide.

Noel and Dakari Johnson were the first Centers under Calipari.

Reactions: Montana81
Do you people even watch college basketball? Sophomore Ulis was never better than freshman Wall and Scottie Wilbekin/Chandler Parsons should be on the UF team instead of Erving Walker and Corey Brewer.

Also Keith Bogans was Kentucky's best SG in the last 15 years, not Malik Monk.

Florida
PG: Scottie Wilbekin
SG: Bradley Beal
SF: Chandler Parsons
PF: Al Horford
C: Joakim Noah

Kentucky
PG: John Wall
SG: Keith Bogans
SF: MKG
PF: Anthony Jones
C: DeMarcus Cousins

That UF/UK game would be a war, not sure who would win just based on how good they were in college.

Just based on how they were in college it would be a good game. Base it off what the would become and Kentucky takes that Florida team to the wood shed

So sophomore Tyler Ulis averaged more points, assists(without two lottery pick big men under the basket to dump the ball down to), shot the ball better and was a decidedly better defender but Wall was better?

Yeah about that...

So sophomore Tyler Ulis averaged more points, assists(without two lottery pick big men under the basket to dump the ball down to), shot the ball better and was a decidedly better defender but Wall was better?

Yeah about that...
Very very close but Wall was the better rebounder, defender, led a better team and got farther in the NCAA Tournament than Ulis, Murray & company.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/john-wall-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyler-ulis-1.html

Except wall was not the better defender. Ulis won SEC DPOY.

Again wall averaged slightly more steals a game but had trouble staying in front of his man and often got lost on that end, gambled too much and got annihilated by less talented guards frequently.(Devon downy, Joe Mazulla, Corey Almond)

Except wall was not the better defender. Ulis won SEC DPOY.

Again wall averaged slightly more steals a game but had trouble staying in front of his man and often got lost on that end, gambled too much and got annihilated by less talented guards frequently.(Devon downy, Joe Mazulla, Corey Almond)
Wall has better DRPM and defensive win shares. He also averaged more steals and blocks.

Yogi went off against Ulis in 2016. I"ll trust the advanced stats here.

Wall has better DRPM and defensive win shares. He also averaged more steals and blocks.

Defensive win shares are highly dependent on the team around you. Ulis had absolute junk in his front court.

Also Ulis easily won the position battle against yogi. We lost because we had no answer for Thomas Bryant and anunoby shut down Murray.

Tyler is one of my all time favorites but you can't put him over Wall. Any team on this list could win any given night other than maybe South Carolina

Wall was unquestionably better than Ulis. Lulz at thinking Yogi went off on Ulis though. Ulis outplayed him in that game. Not his fault Murray got shut down and yikes at the rest of the squad. That team was ridiculously flawed and got screwed on selection Sunday.

Wall was unquestionably better than Ulis. Lulz at thinking Yogi went off on Ulis though. Ulis outplayed him in that game. Not his fault Murray got shut down and yikes at the rest of the squad. That team was ridiculously flawed and got screwed on selection Sunday.
Yeah, Ulis had a monster game and outplayed him but Yogi still played well. Probably not the best example I could have used though.

If we are picking a starting 2G in the last decade at UK for me it's Doron Lamb and it's not close. Guy was an elite shooter and knew his role. Would mix and match with any combination of guys.

I'm not familiar with Darrel Mitchell. Was he really better than Tremont Waters at PG for LSU?

Tyler Ulis shot the ball way better than John Wall on top of being a pest on defense. Ulis was the better point guard at Kentucky. Ulis would not go 0 for forever from the 3 point against anyone in the college game.

Yeah about that...

I love Ulis but Wall is/was a #1 draft pick that you build a team around. Ulis, not so much!

Tyler Ulis shot the ball way better than John Wall on top of being a pest on defense. Ulis was the better point guard at Kentucky. Ulis would not go 0 for forever from the 3 point against anyone in the college game.
Dude their FG% were pretty similar, not sure where you're getting this idea that Ulis was a better offensive player. Tyler's mid range game was better but John Wall could get to the rim at will.

Loved Ulis, pound for pound probably the best player Cal's had at UK. However, John Wall is better. Speed, height, athleticism, all in his favor. I'd take him every time over Ulis.

I think the arguments amongst Kentucky posters stems from half of them not understanding the question in the OP. If the OP is asking which guys had the best college careers then the answer is Ulis, but if the OP is asking which players ended up being the best then the answer is obviously Wall.

I think the arguments amongst Kentucky posters stems from half of them not understanding the question in the OP. If the OP is asking which guys had the best college careers then the answer is Ulis, but if the OP is asking which players ended up being the best then the answer is obviously Wall.
I don't think Ulis had a better college career than Wall either. Both were 1st Team SEC and won SEC POY but Wall went further in the NCAA Tournament (Elite 8).

I don't think Ulis had a better college career than Wall either. Both were 1st Team SEC and won SEC POY but Wall went further in the NCAA Tournament (Elite 8).
Ulis played in the Final Four.

I think Wall was better his freshman year than Ulis, but Wall lead the show.

Here's Ulis' college accolades.

I'm not familiar with Darrel Mitchell. Was he really better than Tremont Waters at PG for LSU?
I didn't choose Waters because he is just a freshman, but if he continues to put up the type of numbers he did this year no doubt he'll be the best PG LSU has had in a long time.

Loved Ulis, pound for pound probably the best player Cal's had at UK. However, John Wall is better. Speed, height, athleticism, all in his favor. I'd take him every time over Ulis.

Wall is better now. Wall is the better pro player. And is going to be the better player.

I'm taking a sophomore Ulis over a freshman Wall though. If you could put sophomore Ulis on the 2010 I do believe they are better off.

I do not think freshman John Wall was a better college basketball player than sophomore Tyler Ulis.

Maybe I'm misunderstand the op's question however. But I'm stunned that so many see it this way. The numbers don't support it at all.

ADVERTISEMENT