ADVERTISEMENT

Season Predictions

JimboBBN

Jan 26, 2016
The Bluegrass State
Team
Kentucky
Kentucky tips off against Duke three weeks from today. We are getting pretty close, folks.

Let me get a personal prediction for your team and who you think is going to win the national title.

I think Kentucky goes 26 - 5 regular season. Losses @ Auburn, @ Kansas, @ Alabama, @ Arkansas, @ Tennessee.
Regular season and tournament champions for the SEC.

Final record of 32 and 6, elite eight finish.

Kansas is your 2022 champion

I think Duke sputters out of the gate losing to Kentucky, Gonzaga and @ tOSU. As the season goes on, I think the team gels, the young players mature, and Duke ultimately ends up a 3 seed with an EE finish

Gonzaga gets the monkey off their back, wins it all

Reactions: KisteK
I think the likeliest scenario is Gonzaga pulls through. But I like Jimbo's prediction a lot more.

I predict that Texas gets insane hype throughout the year but fails to make the final four.

I think Purdue goes 10-1 in the non-conference (lose 1 of UNC, Nova, FSU, likely Nova). We then go 15-5 in the B1G (good enough for at least 2nd and maybe a tie for 1st) and split 2 in the B1G tournament. B1G losses are at Michigan, Illinois, Rutgers and MSU and lose one rando we don't see coming.

26-7 headed to the NCAA tournament as a 2 seed. No idea on tourney predictions as I need to see matchups. But I'd guess somewhere between a Sweet 16 and Final 4 berth with Elite 8 most likely.

Nova is your 2022 NCAA champ, beating Gonzaga for the title.

I think Purdue goes 10-1 in the non-conference (lose 1 of UNC, Nova, FSU, likely Nova). We then go 15-5 in the B1G (good enough for at least 2nd and maybe a tie for 1st) and split 2 in the B1G tournament. B1G losses are at Michigan, Illinois, Rutgers and MSU and lose one rando we don't see coming.

26-7 headed to the NCAA tournament as a 2 seed. No idea on tourney predictions as I need to see matchups. But I'd guess somewhere between a Sweet 16 and Final 4 berth with Elite 8 most likely.

Nova is your 2022 NCAA champ, beating Gonzaga for the title.
Gotta say, I like your thinking! Boilerup!! I will be at Moheghan Sun and looking forward to all the games, but Nova / Purdue would be a killer game.

Reactions: boilerzz
Gotta say, I like your thinking! Boilerup!! I will be at Moheghan Sun and looking forward to all the games, but Nova / Purdue would be a killer game.
I think Wright's got a team he thrives with. Loaded with seniors and shooters (no way Moore struggles from deep like last year...his stroke is too pure).

Think FSU is going to have to hope that Mills is the real deal and that Cleveland pairs with him to power our scoring. I don't think Polite and Osborne can be relied upon to be our primary scorers. A lot of new guys to get into the defensive rotation so that'll be huge for the non-conference portion of our schedule. An improved gator team as the second game of the year is a tough ask on the road, and then Purdue may be the best team in the BIG, and that's on the road as well. I'm guessing we will end up with a couple losses in the non-conference schedule and then have some growing pains in conference.

Hopeful for another SS run this year and then it is anyone's game, but we have too many unknowns to really have a good idea just yet. But I'm excited to see our team this year

Top teams

Gonzaga 27-3 2 seed Elite 8 finish . Reg season losses Texas, UCLA, San Fran
UCLA

UCLA 25-5 - 1 seed (over Gonz) Elite eight finish Reg season losses - Nova , USC, CO, Oregon twice

Kansas 27-3 1 Seed Champion Regular losses - Texas , Okst and TTech

Texas 27-3 1 Seed S16 finish, Regular Season losses - Kansas, Tennessee , Ttech

Nova - 27-3 1 Seed EE Finish , Regular Season losses, Uconn, St Johns , Creighton

Michigan 24-6 2 Seed, FF Finish, Regular Season Losses, Buffalo, Illinois x2, Maryland, Ohio St, Indiana

Duke 23- 7 3 Seed , S16 finish, Regular Season losses, UK, Zags, Clemson, UNC, FLST x2, Cuse

UK 22-8 4 Seed, FF Finish, Regular Season Losses KU, tOSU, Bama, Ark x2, MSSU, Auburn, FL

Others I don't care to type Purdue 2 seed, Bama 2 seed, Illini 3 Seed, Oregon 3 Seed, Fl St 3 Seed

1 Seeds KU, UCLA, Texas, Nova
2 Seeds Purdue, Zags, Michigan, Bama
3 Seeds Oregon, Illini, Duke, FL St
4 Seeds Ark, UK, Memphis, tOSU

Final Four Kansas over Bama
Nova over UK

Kansas Wins over Villanova

Lot of questions...We know what we are gonna get from TJD....I think Race is due for a solid year---possible 3rd teamer? Lots of new pieces, that if they produce as expected, we could be pretty good. I think Tamar Bates is gonna be a starter by the time conference rolls around. Look for to make All-Freshman team, and possibly push for FOY. Kid is the real deal. NO idea what we'll get from Phin. BUt not that concerned, due to the addition of Johnson.

Like I said, a lot of new parts. SO hard to tell. OOC is weak, and we should only lose once, @ Syracuse. St.John's could be an issue----possibly Notre Dame.

Favrable B10 slate as well.....I'll say 22-9, 12-8, sort of year....Win one in B10....7-9 seed area. Lose in 2nd round NCAAT.

I mean it’s got to be GU’s year right? I know at least half of you already have GU fatigue. If they don’t win this year, then I don’t know what to say.

Bit of a transition year for FSU. If RaiQuan Gray and/or Balsa Koprivica (both second round picks) had stayed I think we’d be getting some sleeper Final Four hype. Probably a preseason top 8-10 team. But with them gone we really have total unknowns as our bigs, and probably one less playmaker than ideal too.

If one of our young seven footers is further along than expected, we could be a surprise top 15 team. But if they struggle or if a guy like Osborne is injured for any length of time, we might be a bubble team. The most likely result is somewhere in the middle.

I’ll say we are up and down to start the year, with a probable loss at Purdue and a toss up at UF. But by mid-January guys like Cleveland and Warley are figuring things out and we start to click.

Give me 23-8 on the regular season, 14-6 in ACC play. We go to the ACCT final and lose to Duke, so 25-9 entering the NCAAT. From there who knows, but Sweet 16 seems like a reasonable run.

For the National title, Gonzaga beats Kentucky to finally get one.

No ****ing clue really. Offense will be worse than last year but better than 2020 team. Defense will be better than last year but worse than 2020 team. If Franklin and Gardner can be impact transfers and Kihei doesn't try to do more than he should on the offensive end, we have a chance to be pretty good. No chance to be great this year.

I'll say we go 7-3 in preseason and 14-6 in ACC play for a record of 21-9.

Probably lose in the semis of ACC tourney (to FSU or Duke) and Round of 32 in NCAA tourney. I think we'll play to seed in NCAA tourney.

2022 team should be REALLY good though.

I think Gonzaga finally breaks though and beats Michigan in the championship. It'll be the battle of the teams that can make championship games but has trouble winning them.

Bit of a transition year for FSU. If RaiQuan Gray and/or Balsa Koprivica (both second round picks) had stayed I think we’d be getting some sleeper Final Four hype. Probably a preseason top 8-10 team. But with them gone we really have total unknowns as our bigs, and probably one less playmaker than ideal too.

If one of our young seven footers is further along than expected, we could be a surprise top 15 team. But if they struggle or if a guy like Osborne is injured for any length of time, we might be a bubble team. The most likely result is somewhere in the middle.

I’ll say we are up and down to start the year, with a probable loss at Purdue and a toss up at UF. But by mid-January guys like Cleveland and Warley are figuring things out and we start to click.

Give me 23-8 on the regular season, 14-6 in ACC play. We go to the ACCT final and lose to Duke, so 25-9 entering the NCAAT. From there who knows, but Sweet 16 seems like a reasonable run.

For the National title, Gonzaga beats Kentucky to finally get one.
What should still be the case for us is we should have a lot of guys that could have really great games in situations where they are needed. Polite, Wilkes, Osborne, they've all delivered. Even Evans has had some games. So I'm hopeful that we are able to navigate some of the early season tests by getting a great individual performance to go along with our normal style of play.

Hearing some cool things about Butler, he may be a matchup nightmare for the opposition.

No ****ing clue really. Offense will be worse than last year but better than 2020 team. Defense will be better than last year but worse than 2020 team. If Franklin and Gardner can be impact transfers and Kihei doesn't try to do more than he should on the offensive end, we have a chance to be pretty good. No chance to be great this year.

I'll say we go 7-3 in preseason and 14-6 in ACC play for a record of 21-9.

Probably lose in the semis of ACC tourney (to FSU or Duke) and Round of 32 in NCAA tourney. I think we'll play to seed in NCAA tourney.

2022 team should be REALLY good though.

I think Gonzaga finally breaks though and beats Michigan in the championship. It'll be the battle of the teams that can make championship games but has trouble winning them.
How is Clark still there?!? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: RipThru and jhmossy
I'll say Duke finally wins the ACC regular season title. We lose in the Regional Finals as a 2 seed.

My top 4 teams are UCLA, Gonzaga, Kansas, and Michigan.

UCLA over Gonzaga in the title game.

I mean it’s got to be GU’s year right? I know at least half of you already have GU fatigue. If they don’t win this year, then I don’t know what to say.
Losing Suggs, Ayayi and Kispert is huge IMO. I don't think the Zags will be as good as the loaded squad from last year but still would be my preseason #1.

Winning a championship is hard, it may never happen for you guys and that's the reality of things.

If the Zags keep recruiting the way they are though and pillaging the transfer market, you guys should be contenders for years to come.

How is Clark still there?!? LOL

Scary thing is that he could use his waiver and come back for a 5th year next year. Most UVA fans hope he does not do that. Beekman is a better overall player and deserves more time. But kind of hard to criticize the guy who is responsible for one of, if not, the biggest plays in UVA basketball history.

Last edited:
Reactions: bignish
I think Duke goes 25 - 6 regular season. Losses vs Gonzaga, @ Ohio State, @ Notre Dame, @ FSU, @ UNC and 1 home game to someone at Cameron.

I think we split the regular season title with UNC and get our revenge on FSU in the ACC title game to win the tournament.

Final record of 34 and 6, National Champions.

Elite 8: Michigan, Zags, Duke, Nova, KU, Purdue, UCLA and Kansas
Final 4: Zags, Duke, UCLA, Michigan
Title Game: Duke and UCLA

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think Duke sputters out of the gate losing to Kentucky, Gonzaga and @ tOSU. As the season goes on, I think the team gels, the young players mature, and Duke ultimately ends up a 3 seed with an EE finish

Gonzaga gets the monkey off their back, wins it all
Interesting, I think the exact opposite because we usually start out strong until we have some injuries or our freshmen hit the wall.

I think having Roach, Moore, Baker and Williams back makes us a tough early out.

Reactions: WojoRising
Interesting, I think the exact opposite because we usually start out strong until we have some injuries or our freshmen hit the wall.

I think having Roach, Moore, Baker and Williams back makes us a tough early out.
This could be the case. I think that between Williams adjusting to new expectations, Griffin having some rust, Moore and Roach being generally inconsistent (so far, anyway), and the usual freshmen curve, there might be some adjustments going on early. Although PB certainly isn’t a typical freshman. Hope I’m wrong.

This could be the case. I think that between Williams adjusting to new expectations, Griffin having some rust, Moore and Roach being generally inconsistent (so far, anyway), and the usual freshmen curve, there might be some adjustments going on early. Although PB certainly isn’t a typical freshman. Hope I’m wrong.
I could see this being our best defensive team in a long time. While his offense is a question mark, I think Griffin will be a plus defender all year.

I’m cool with KU winning it all. We could use a natty

just glad we have a team that is capable of winning it all. Last years team was fine but no chance of making a run.

Losing Suggs, Ayayi and Kispert is huge IMO. I don't think the Zags will be as good as the loaded squad from last year but still would be my preseason #1.

Winning a championship is hard, it may never happen for you guys and that's the reality of things.

If the Zags keep recruiting the way they are though and pillaging the transfer market, you guys should be contenders for years to come.
It will be interesting. They should be better defensively with Chet and depth at the 4 and 5. Last year, GU had no depth and Timme wasn’t allowed to play as physical as they needed him to in defense. I’m hoping that changes.

Suggs was awesome but Nembhard should be just as good in year two.

The depth of this team is crazy, it’s literally filled with 4 5 star players and the rest are all Former top 100 recruits except for Bolton who was 3rd Team all Big 12 last year.

If I had to project right now, I think MSU is like a 7-8-9 seed that a top seed isn’t thrilled about facing in the second round. The offense will be improved this year. We’ll get better PG play and have better floor spacing (all the guys that left/transferred we’re not the best shooter and we brought in some decent ones) and I think our bigs will be helped from having a full normal offseason.

Get Flanagan back by mid December and it's easily BDB most talented team by far. Arguably the best front court in the nation already with Jabari, Kessler, JWilliams, AFlanagan etc..

Will be fun to watch.

I think Duke and Nova are scrimmaging soon privately - will be interesting to hear how Duke does against a very solid Nova squad.

Duke wins the NC. I mean, come on. With all the help K has gotten over the years from the NCAA and the Refs, you don't think they would not let him go out without a 6th NC do you?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Duke wins the NC. I mean, come on. With all the help K has gotten over the years from the NCAA and the Refs, you don't think they would not let him go out without a 6th NC do you?
No doubt, K would really have to go out like a loser if he messed this up.

It's his to lose.

Reactions: Afamu
I like this. I love CBB more than anything but the whistles are getting out of hand. I’m good with “blatant travel calls”

I’m sure this will lead to some major confrontation in a game where a travel isn’t called that leads to someone winning.

I don’t want NBA style basketball but I do think they need to help offenses.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I really dont know what to expect out of louisvilles backcourt whatsoever, all ne pieces. Faulker and west put up good numbers but at smaller schools. Locke is a good deep shooter from Florida and el ellis was the juco player of the year. But ive never seen any of em play sans locke so hard to project for me.

i thibk we should have a strong frontcourt. Williamson hopefully tightens up his shot and keeps his motor high, and hopefully to god williams can stay healthy, although we at least have depth at C in case he doesnt.

I really think jalyn withers blows up this year and leads us in scoring. He gets to go back to his natural position and will also be given the green light to shoot from deep, as he is a decent shooter. I thibk he will be 2-3rd team all ACC.

We also have soooo many pieces its hard to project where the mins are gonna come from. I mentioned the two deep in the bc earlier but we also have matt cross(miami), dre davis and jj traynor(who both contributed as frosh, but still likely to be bench guys this year), Curry the juco ku decommit who homeboarders have been really high on, roosevelt wheeer former highly rabked recruit who missed his senior season bc of torn achilles and gabe witnitzer(big body)

And unf florida 7a player of the year freshman mike james has torn his achilles and will miss this season.

So again its hard to say. I hope we make the tourney obv, but if things go right i can see a SS type run. Hard to say with so many unknowns.

Natty im goin zags over purdue.

The Eurostep is not a travel. It looks weird, b/c its not your traditional move. ZNo idea why he would say this.

For years we have been told to leave the "minimal travel",that doesn't impact a play(s), alone. This is nothing new, and coaches are quite aware of this.

If games were called by the "T", we'd have baseball length games.

ADVERTISEMENT