ADVERTISEMENT

Screw the news out of Lexington. Jay Wright is leaving Villanova.

Retiring. One year off. Next coach of the University of Kentucky.

Really though, its surprising but good for him.

3 of the best coaches of the sport gone last 2 years now. 2 of them were gracious enough to retire without the nauseating tour too. L
NIL driving these guys into retirement. Dont nuch blame em i couldnt even imagine trying to get kids to buy in who are making more than the assitants.

Reactions: tpitl
NIL driving these guys into retirement. Dont nuch blame em i couldnt even imagine trying to get kids to buy in who are making more than the assitants.

Not sure I buy that NIL pushed them out. UNC and Duke can afford more $$$ than anyone. Nova? Maybe I guess. But Wright has also accomplished everything so going out on top so to speak gotta be nice.

Goodbye to Self's arch nemesis.

Now his only competition for best coach in the game is stuck at Iona......Mwahahahahaha....
Not sure I’d call him arch nemesis. They met 4 times in the tourney and each went 2-2. In 08 we were clearly the better team and we won, in 2018 they were the better team and beat us. This year we were the better team and we won. The only year that you could argue the better team didn’t win was 2016, however it was a 1 vs 2 matchup in the elite eight so both teams played to seed. So I’m not willing to call him coach self’s nemesis.

Not sure I’d call him arch nemesis. They met 4 times in the tourney and each went 2-2. In 08 we were clearly the better team and we won, in 2018 they were the better team and beat us. This year we were the better team and we won. The only year that you could argue the better team didn’t win was 2016, however it was a 1 vs 2 matchup in the elite eight so both teams played to seed. So I’m not willing to call him coach self’s nemesis.
Arch nemesis doesn’t mean that he consistently got the best of him. The Joker doesn’t often get the best of Batman.

But Wright did win a number of regular season matchups too. They’ve faced each other a lot in the Self era. At least 8 times.

Reactions: englandnu
Not sure I buy that NIL pushed them out. UNC and Duke can afford more $$$ than anyone. Nova? Maybe I guess. But Wright has also accomplished everything so going out on top so to speak gotta be nice.
I meant moreso the headache. Transfer portal prolly plays a role too. Didnt mean to imply their programs couldnt compete financially.

i mean they just made the FF, with what 2 outta the last 6 nattys…..it aint lack of success

You have to wonder about his health or maybe something else.
I hope this is just him walking away and wanting to do something else with his time.

yeah I hope it’s him thinking he’s won titles and final fours and made the money. Now go have fun. Hope it’s not health of him or family

Reactions: KisteK
What about Jaquez or Timme? Sasser at Houston? I'm sure there are plenty I'm missing. Dukedevilz is the man for this sort of question.
My post is a little tongue in cheek.

On the topic, who's the last player to repeat NPOY? Obviously incredibly rare. I'd have to imagine Oscar will get better.

What about Jaquez or Timme? Sasser at Houston? I'm sure there are plenty I'm missing. Dukedevilz is the man for this sort of question.

Would be hard for anyone to challenge Tshiebwe, IMO. Bacot could if UNC is a super dominant team. But, Tshiebwe is just unfreaking stoppable in the paint.

The three other options you mentioned, Sasser, Jaquez, and Timme are all very, very talented. Just not sure any of those three will have the raw stats to compete with Tshiebwe for NPOY. Also, not sure what Timme's status is. My top 15 candidates for NPOY might look like...

1. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
2. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
3. Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
4. Marcus Sasser, Houston
5. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
7. Nick Smith, Arkansas
8. Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
9. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
10. Amari Bailey, UCLA
11. Zach Edey, Purdue
12. Keyonte George, Baylor
13. Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton
14. Santiago Vescovi, Tennessee
15. Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona

Would be hard for anyone to challenge Tshiebwe, IMO. Bacot could if UNC is a super dominant team. But, Tshiebwe is just unfreaking stoppable in the paint.

The three other options you mentioned, Sasser, Jaquez, and Timme are all very, very talented. Just not sure any of those three will have the raw stats to compete with Tshiebwe for NPOY. Also, not sure what Timme's status is. My top 15 candidates for NPOY might look like...

1. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
2. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
3. Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
4. Marcus Sasser, Houston
5. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
7. Nick Smith, Arkansas
8. Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
9. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
10. Amari Bailey, UCLA
11. Zach Edey, Purdue
12. Keyonte George, Baylor
13. Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton
14. Santiago Vescovi, Tennessee
15. Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona

Crazy to think that with wright retiring there are currently only 2 coaches coaching that have won multiple ncaa titles. Rick Pitino at Iona and Bill Self at Kansas.

3 of those has had wins redacted. I guess Self and Izzo are the cleanest in the business.
I wouldn’t say they are the cleanest….although I give izzo a lot of credit because you never hear about scandal from msu like you do at some of the bigger schools (yes I mean Kansas as well). The shit that Kansas gets in trouble with the ncaa is minuscule shit that is warranting win vacating. (Although if Desousa and Addidas allegations do blow up Ku might lose some games from 2018, including the final four).

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT