ADVERTISEMENT

Scottie Lewis returns to Florida

Gater4Life

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2004
Big win for Florida. Lewis was finally starting to show some flashes towards the end of the year. I can't wait to see him with a year of experience under his belt.

That kid was a consensus one and done lotto pick coming into college. It’s a shame that these kids keep going to Gainesville and having Mike White crush their stock. Nembhard was talked about as possible one and done a couple years ago and he might not even be a second rounder going into his junior year.

Florida sucks.
HopefulFarawayHartebeest-size_restricted.gif

That kid was a consensus one and done lotto pick coming into college. It’s a shame that these kids keep going to Gainesville and having Mike White crush their stock. Nembhard was talked about as possible one and done a couple years ago and he might not even be a second rounder going into his junior year.

We will see on White. No excuses this year. He will have a very talented and deep roster that has plenty of experience.

How true. His coach's only claim to fame is that his father is Duke's AD.

He was far from the only “consensus one-and-done” freshmen in college last year that will either be back at school or go undrafted. Just weren’t that many dominating freshman as years past imo, and wiseman leaving and Anthony getting hurt probly hampered that. I guess the kids who went overseas as well, just seemed like a weaker freshmen class than usual imo.

Last edited:
He was far from the only “consensus one-and-done” freshmen in college last year. Just weren’t that many dominating freshman as years past imo, and wiseman leaving and Anthony getting hurt probly hampered that. I guess the kids who went overseas as well, just seemed like a weaker freshmen class than usual imo.

Down year for freshmen makes it even more incredible that a guy who was a projected top 10 pick in October 2019 can’t even get a first round grade a few months later.

It Means to me more that it’s harder to gauge how big of an impact HS kids are going to have at the collegiate level, outside of the tip of the top/cream of the crop. I don’t follow the recruiting rankings super heavily to know exactly where kids like Lewis and JJJ were ranked in the class, but did either ever show anything much at this level to believe they should be first round draft picks. Both had plenty of opportunity on the court in terms of playing time, I dunno if u can pin it on the coach that they didn’t produce like the rivals/247/scout people thought they would. I mean that’s basically why the one and done rule was created, even the nba teams front office and scouts were missing badly drafting kids right out of high school.

And they aren’t the only two, not even close, I could lob in Whitney at UK or mannion at AZ, or Williamson at Louisville. Pre-season mock drafts are probably the most worthless preseason thing the media does imo. I’m willing to bet that October mock draft doesn’t even have half of who will be the first rounders in the draft in their mock first round.

Last edited:
It Means to me more that it’s harder to gauge how big of an impact HS kids are going to have at the collegiate level, outside of the tip of the top/cream of the crop. I don’t follow the recruiting rankings super heavily to know exactly where kids like Lewis and JJJ were ranked in the class, but did either ever show anything much at this level to believe they should be first round draft picks. Both had plenty of opportunity on the court in terms of playing time, I dunno if u can pin it on the coach that they didn’t produce like the rivals/247/scout people thought they would. I mean that’s basically why the one and done rule was created, even the nba teams front office and scouts were missing badly drafting kids right out of high school.

And they aren’t the only two, not even close, I could lob in Whitney at UK or mannion at AZ, or Williamson at Louisville. Pre-season mock drafts are probably the most worthless preseason thing the media does imo. I’m willing to bet that October mock draft doesn’t even have half of who will be the first rounders in the draft in their mock first round.

Scottie Lewis was a consensus top 10 recruit who has been part of Team USA. He was a very known quantity. Unfortunately, he chose to go to UF and play for Mike White, a guy who hasn’t even produced a draft pick at UF in the 5 years he’s been there. Not one draft pick lol.

Andrew Nembhard was a 5 star by everyone at PG and projected one and done. Went to UF and now he’s going into his junior year. Mike White simply hasn’t demonstrated he can turn guys into draft picks.

And Nico Mannion might not have been an all American but he was plenty good. He will he drafted top 25 this draft. Isaac Okaro did pretty darn well as a freshman. Patrick Williams wasn’t even a top 25 recruit, but he’s gonna be a 1st rounder and maybe lotto pick.

Plenty of freshmen came in and made a big impact this year.

Everything u said about Lewis is true about Whitney at UK and he played for arguably the best coach at getting players drafted. I’m not here to defend mike white at all bc he has been trash at UF imo, I’m just saying it’s hard to project, and it’s hard to guage whether a kid is gonna be a concensus top ten pick before they ever set foot in a college game, regardless of where they go, unless they are on a different level physically/athletically like Zion, AD, Wall, Ben Simmons etc.

The Williams kid from FSU is a great example of a Freshman doing better than expected, as well as Okoro, but there were plenty that didn’t live up to expectations, seemingly moreso this year than most. I know it’s objective but I’d say more top 25 recruits underperformed than ones that made a big impact. Even Williams and okoro, who showed nice upside and will be drafted highly, didn’t really have a huge impact on the college basketball landscape, or were in the mold of a dominant freshman.

We got beat by FSU twice and I don’t remember what Williams even looks like, I remember Vassell and MJ Walker stroking threes and driving at will to the goal. Very small sample size and I didn’t go check the box score so Williams might have had good games against us, and I’m not trying to diminish his season bc he obv had a good one.

Last edited:
I’ll bet you there will be less MCDAA freshmen drafted in the first round this year than there has been in a long long time, and probly freshmen in general.

Everything u said about Lewis is true about Whitney at UK and he played for arguably the best coach at getting players drafted. I’m not here to defend mike white at all bc he has been trash at UF imo, I’m just saying it’s hard to project, and it’s hard to guage whether a kid is gonna be a concensus top ten pick before they ever set foot in a college game, regardless of where they go, unless they are on a different level physically/athletically like Zion, AD, Wall, Ben Simmons etc.

The Williams kid from FSU is a great example of a Freshman doing better than expected, as well as Okoro, but there were plenty that didn’t live up to expectations, seemingly moreso this year than most. I know it’s objective but I’d say more top 25 recruits underperformed than ones that made a big impact. Even Williams and okoro, who showed nice upside and will be drafted highly, didn’t really have a huge impact on the college basketball landscape, or were in the mold of a dominant freshman.

We got beat by FSU twice and I don’t remember what Williams even looks like, I remember Vassell and MJ Walker stroking threes and driving at will to the goal. Very small sample size and I didn’t go check the box score so Williams might have had good games against us, and I’m not trying to diminish his season bc he obv had a good one.

Gotcha. Well just to refresh your memory, here's Mr. Williams throwing a haymaker:

Haha touché I do remember him now, after seeing his face. Those were two pretty good games even if we got the short end of the stick both times. I just remember fsu’s Guards abusing our small backcourt, especially the game @ Louisville. Final scores weren’t close but I felt like we had a chance to win both games until the last few minutes and y’all just blew us out the water.

Ima channel my inner auburn fan and call double dribble on that highlight tho lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: GE Nole
That one hurt me so I had to go box score hunting.

Vs Louisville Williams avg 6.5 ppg and 3.5 reb and 1 ast. Scored 2 pts in Louisville and 11 in tallehassee with 7 of those being from the FT line. So he made three shots in two games, one being the steal and slam in the highlight, there is a reason I remember Vassell and Walker and Forrest tearing us up but couldn’t picture what Williams looked like.

But small sample size, and he obv did something right this season to get the scouts attention.

Last edited:
Y’all expecting Walker to go pro? I know Vassell and Williams are most likely if not already gone and Forrest was a senior (maybe?). That’s gonna be a lot to replace, we are in the same boat unfortunately, losing basically everyone that played any except Johnson Williams and Williamson.

Haha touché I do remember him now, after seeing his face. Those were two pretty good games even if we got the short end of the stick both times. I just remember fsu’s Guards abusing our small backcourt, especially the game @ Louisville. Final scores weren’t close but I felt like we had a chance to win both games until the last few minutes and y’all just blew us out the water.

Ima channel my inner auburn fan and call double dribble on that highlight tho lmao

I agree that both games were closer than score indicated. Especially the second one. UL just didn’t seem to have the depth to keep their legs for the full 40 minutes and FSU was able to get whatever we wanted for the last 6-8 minutes of the game.

I love having y’all in the league by the way. Brings back memories of the old Metro days. When Williams threw down this slam, it was the loudest I’ve ever heard Tuck. The roof nearly came off. The whole stadium sort of jumped at the same time as Williams (watch the bench players) and then landed with an “ooooo.” I fully expect y’all to get us back a few times in the Yum!, but that’s what makes big time basketball fun.

Oh and lmao about the auburn double dribble. Good stuff.

That one hurt me so I had to go box score hunting.

Vs Louisville Williams avg 6.5 ppg and 3.5 reb and 1 ast. Scored 2 pts in Louisville and 11 in tallehassee with 7 of those being from the FT line. So he made three shots in two games, one being the steal and slam in the highlight, there is a reason I remember Vassell and Walker and Forrest tearing us up but couldn’t picture what Williams looked like.

But small sample size, and he obv did something right this season to get the scouts attention.

Williams was banged up in that first UL/FSU game. And also still finding his freshman way. By the second, he was a major part of our defense and efficient enough on offense. Great FT shooter too, which is nice for a
6’8 guy.

He never started a game but his ceiling is off the charts. Second youngest kid in the draft. Monster hands. Tree trunk legs. Great little pull up jumper off the one bounce. I sat next to a scout at one game who called him “Kawhi-lite.” We will see, but the potential is there.

Y’all expecting Walker to go pro? I know Vassell and Williams are most likely if not already gone and Forrest was a senior (maybe?). That’s gonna be a lot to replace, we are in the same boat unfortunately, losing basically everyone that played any except Johnson Williams and Williamson.

Walker is staying for his senior year. He’s just not quite a good enough shooter to go pro, with him also being only 6’4/6’5. But he did shoot 39% in ACC play last year so maybe it’s all finally clicked for him.

Forrest was a senior, so he’s gone. He will he the toughest to replace by far. His leadership and locker room presence is something special.

As for FSU, we will be okay. Last year we lost Terance Mann (2nd round), Mfiondu Kabengele (1st round—like Williams, also never started a game), Christ Koumadje (g-league), Phil Cofer (starter), PJ Savoy, and David Nichols. And then we got better.

Next year we will have 3 starters back (MJ, Osborne, Gray) plus high end backups Polite and Evans. Balsa (the white 7 footer) should take a big step forward and then we bring in Scottie Barnes, Sardaar Calhoun (3rd best JUCO in country), another 7 footer, and probably a transfer. I expect we take longer to gel in the beginning, but are a top 20 team by March.

Johnson and Williams seem like to great pieces to start with. And that grad transfer y’all just got. But seems like Scrubb was a big loss. Any thoughts there?

I agree that both games were closer than score indicated. Especially the second one. UL just didn’t seem to have the depth to keep their legs for the full 40 minutes and FSU was able to get whatever we wanted for the last 6-8 minutes of the game.

I love having y’all in the league by the way. Brings back memories of the old Metro days. When Williams threw down this slam, it was the loudest I’ve ever heard Tuck. The roof nearly came off. The whole stadium sort of jumped at the same time as Williams (watch the bench players) and then landed with an “ooooo.” I fully expect y’all to get us back a few times in the Yum!, but that’s what makes big time basketball fun.

Oh and lmao about the auburn double dribble. Good stuff.

Williams was banged up in that first UL/FSU game. And also still finding his freshman way. By the second, he was a major part of our defense and efficient enough on offense. Great FT shooter too, which is nice for a
6’8 guy.

He never started a game but his ceiling is off the charts. Second youngest kid in the draft. Monster hands. Tree trunk legs. Great little pull up jumper off the one bounce. I sat next to a scout at one game who called him “Kawhi-lite.” We will see, but the potential is there.

Walker is staying for his senior year. He’s just not quite a good enough shooter to go pro, with him also being only 6’4/6’5. But he did shoot 39% in ACC play last year so maybe it’s all finally clicked for him.

Forrest was a senior, so he’s gone. He will he the toughest to replace by far. His leadership and locker room presence is something special.

As for FSU, we will be okay. Last year we lost Terance Mann (2nd round), Mfiondu Kabengele (1st round—like Williams, also never started a game), Christ Koumadje (g-league), Phil Cofer (starter), PJ Savoy, and David Nichols. And then we got better.

Next year we will have 3 starters back (MJ, Osborne, Gray) plus high end backups Polite and Evans. Balsa (the white 7 footer) should take a big step forward and then we bring in Scottie Barnes, Sardaar Calhoun (3rd best JUCO in country), another 7 footer, and probably a transfer. I expect we take longer to gel in the beginning, but are a top 20 team by March.

Johnson and Williams seem like to great pieces to start with. And that grad transfer y’all just got. But seems like Scrubb was a big loss. Any thoughts there?

Scrubb was Definitely a huge loss but getting the two GT guards will soften the blow a bit I hope, especially Jones, some had his rated as the best GT available. Johnson, Jones, Williamson, and Williams should be a pretty talented top 4, but we are gonna need one of the sophomores to be to step up and play PF. That’s gonna be the big question mark next year as well as how the bench shakes out.

Besides after reading scrubbs fathers quotes I’m not so sure that had he come to Louisville he would have been more worried about getting his and shining for the scouts than winning games. Sometimes they go hand in hand, sometimes it leads to hero ball that can tank a team, guess we will never know. But it Always hurts losing out on a kid from the city as well. Plus the fact that he’s not likely to get drafted. But don’t get me wrong, I wish we had got the chance to see him in red and black.

If u haven’t checked out his dads quotes, they are pretty comedic. I can’t remember them word for word, except “He has nothing left to prove at the college level” and “winning the juco player of the year award was like the pinnacle of his college career, he’s ready to be a pro”. Not to mention he was suspended by his juco coach twice this season, for not showing up on time after Christmas break and then violating team rules. It might be a bit a sour grapes but I have a feeling his draft announcement will be the peak of his basketball “fame”, in America at least. I don’t wish that on him by any means, just seems like a pretty uninformed decision given hes unlikely to get drafted and the state of affairs all over the world with this pandemic. But it’s not like he’s the only kid to make a decision like that.

I loved kabengeles (spelling I know I know) game a couple years ago. Dude was a high energy, defensive stopper, who could guard 1-5 and also step out and bury the 3 on offense as well as the mid range jumper. Never really understood why he never took the job from Christ (I’ll leave that one alone) but it seemed to be Ham’s gameplan as he (I’m assuming) did the same kind of thing this year with Williams. I mean Not often are first round picks coming in off the bench, not even at the OaD factories.

Reminds me of a quote from our 24/7 board about trez, basically saying how the clippers had 2 front runners for 6th man of the year, and the OP couldn’t decide if He thought Doc rivers bringing both off the bench was genius or the stupidest thing he’s ever seen lol. Not saying Ham is stupid by any means, just odd two years in a row he brought such talented players off the bench, but it worked. Can’t argue with 26-4, or whatever y’all ended at this season.

And yea such a blessing to be in the acc, hopefully both our football squads can get back to at least challenging Clemson every now and then. It’s almost criminal the way the coastal and Atlantic are split up Imo

Last edited:
Reactions: GE Nole
Scrubb was Definitely a huge loss but getting the two GT guards will soften the blow a bit I hope, especially Jones, some had his rated as the best GT available. Johnson, Jones, Williamson, and Williams should be a pretty talented top 4, but we are gonna need one of the sophomores to be to step up and play PF. That’s gonna be the big question mark next year as well as how the bench shakes out.

Besides after reading scrubbs fathers quotes I’m not so sure that had he come to Louisville he would have been more worried about getting his and shining for the scouts than winning games. Sometimes they go hand in hand, sometimes it leads to hero ball that can tank a team, guess we will never know. But it Always hurts losing out on a kid from the city as well. Plus the fact that he’s not likely to get drafted. But don’t get me wrong, I wish we had got the chance to see him in red and black.

If u haven’t checked out his dads quotes, they are pretty comedic. I can’t remember them word for word, except “He has nothing left to prove at the college level” and “winning the juco player of the year award was like the pinnacle of his college career, he’s ready to be a pro”. Not to mention he was suspended by his juco coach twice this season, for not showing up on time after Christmas break and then violating team rules. It might be a bit a sour grapes but I have a feeling his draft announcement will be the peak of his basketball “fame”, in America at least. I don’t wish that on him by any means, just seems like a pretty uninformed decision given hes unlikely to get drafted and the state of affairs all over the world with this pandemic. But it’s not like he’s the only kid to make a decision like that.

I loved kabengeles (spelling I know I know) game a couple years ago. Dude was a high energy, defensive stopper, who could guard 1-5 and also step out and bury the 3 on offense as well as the mid range jumper. Never really understood why he never took the job from Christ (I’ll leave that one alone) but it seemed to be Ham’s gameplan as he (I’m assuming) did the same kind of thing this year with Williams. I mean Not often are first round picks coming in off the bench, not even at the OaD factories.

Reminds me of a quote from our 24/7 board about trez, basically saying how the clippers had 2 front runners for 6th man of the year, and the OP couldn’t decide if He thought Doc rivers bringing both off the bench was genius or the stupidest thing he’s ever seen lol. Not saying Ham is stupid by any means, just odd two years in a row he brought such talented players off the bench, but it worked. Can’t argue with 26-4, or whatever y’all ended at this season.

And yea such a blessing to be in the acc, hopefully both our football squads can get back to at least challenging Clemson every now and then. It’s almost criminal the way the coastal and Atlantic are split up Imo

I’ve seen some of the quotes, but yeah If it’s like all that then you’re probably better off without Scrubb.

The thing about Ham is that it’s not who starts, but who finishes. In Fi’s case, he was extremely foul prone. If he started he might have 2 fouls in the first 4 minutes, lol. Coming off the bench let him get a feel for the game. On top of that, Koumadje was 7’4 and essentially won every tip. But at the end of games, it was Fi in the court.

William wasn’t quite ready at the beginning of the year due to being so young and had a nagging injury in preseason. Then he sort of developed a nice rhythm off the bench. We sub so much that starters end up playing with bench guys throughout the game anyway. The last 11 games, Williams played the following minutes:
19 (blowout)
19 (blowout)

Mack did the same thing with Johnson this past season, after he recovered from his injury he was clearly the best PG but didn’t start a lot bc he tends to pick up stupid fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT