ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew

Yeah and that was the only one good run wasnt it? Just like Tony Bennett did in 2019, and then went back to his old choking ways last year. And thats the point I am making, a fluke title run doesnt change the fact that its a bad tournament coach in general, we look at the entire coaching career.

Before 2015 you would say Jay Wright was a bad tournament coach. They can improve just like players.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
The man's NCAAT win % is a shade below Izzo.

This thread is dumb created by a guy who won't acknowledge the data.

Without researching it I assume he has a T10 NCAAT win %, for all active coaches with over 20 games.

Probably behind K, Izzo, Cal, Boeheim, Wright, Pitino, Self, Few. Ya know, HOF kinda dudes.

Reactions: bMORE607
Before 2015 you would say Jay Wright was a bad tournament coach. They can improve just like players.
He also lost the second round in 2017 before winning it again in 2018. You could have made the same “that was a fluke” argument in 2017 as is being made today for Drew.

He also lost the second round in 2017 before winning it again in 2018. You could have made the same “that was a fluke” argument in 2017 as is being made today for Drew.
So Jay Wright was a choke artist and bad tournament coach before, but he improved and become much better in March. The same cannot be said for Scott Drew, at least for now. Maybe he will get it one day, but history suggests that more often than not, choke artists never change. If he makes another deep run I will admit my mistake, but for now everything I said about Scott Drew remains valid.

So Jay Wright was a choke artist and bad tournament coach before, but he improved and become much better in March. The same cannot be said for Scott Drew, at least for now. Maybe he will get it one day, but history suggests that more often than not, choke artists never change. If he makes another deep run I will admit my mistake, but for now everything I said about Scott Drew remains valid.
Jay Wright lost in the 2nd round as a 1 the year after winning the title. Exact same scenario.

Just admit that you hate Drew and you have no valid points.

The man's NCAAT win % is a shade below Izzo.

This thread is dumb created by a guy who won't acknowledge the data.

Without researching it I assume he has a T10 NCAAT win %, for all active coaches with over 20 games.

Probably behind K, Izzo, Cal, Boeheim, Wright, Pitino, Self, Few. Ya know, HOF kinda dudes.
What the hell is this guy's problem?

Just keeps ignoring the facts and doubling down. What a weirdo.

Jay Wright lost in the 2nd round as a 1 the year after winning the title. Exact same scenario.

Just admit that you hate Drew and you have no valid points.
Yeah and then he won again in 2018, shattering all the criticism and doubts. One deep run is coincidence, we've seen this with Shaka Smart, even John Thompson III the worst choke artist of all time actually had a final 4 trip to 2007. The capability of making deep runs consistently, or at least multiple times, is what distinguish a good tournament coach from an average or bad one.

Yeah and then he won again in 2018, shattering all the criticism and doubts. One deep run is coincidence, we've seen this with Shaka Smart, even John Thompson III the worst choke artist of all time actually had a final 4 trip to 2007. The capability of making deep runs consistently, or at least multiple times, is what distinguish a good tournament coach from an average or bad one.
Another claim that doesn't check out. Wright has more failures than deep runs. He's had high seeds for most of the last 20 years and has only reached the Elite 8 three times. He's lost in the first weekend as a 1 or 2 four times. He's up and down. Like everybody else.

For the third time...Scott Drew has played to seed in 70% of his tourney appearances. What do you want...100%? This is a joke.

He's had high seeds for most of the last 20 years and has only reached the Elite 8 three times.
See my earlier post. Other than the title run, the other 2 times Scott Drew reached elite 8, Baylor played 11 seeds in 2nd round, and 10 seeds in sweet 16. Thats nothing impressive to me.

See my earlier post. Other than the title run, the other 2 times Scott Drew reached elite 8, Baylor played 11 seeds in 2nd round, and 10 seeds in sweet 16. Thats nothing impressive to me.
But what you don’t seem to understand is that, if you apply the same standard to everyone else, no one’s success in that timeframe would be impressive to you.

View it this way. How many active coaches in the NCAA have a NC next to their name? March Madness is a gauntlet.

He also switched from his zone defense a few years ago and has seen success in the tournament. Would most likely have another nattys or another deep run if covid never happened. Switched up his recruiting style as well and focuses more on guards than forwards

He also switched from his zone defense a few years ago and has seen success in the tournament. Would most likely have another nattys or another deep run if covid never happened. Switched up his recruiting style as well and focuses more on guards than forwards
Yeah....the OP apparently doesn't understand this. Baylor is a different program now than it was in the zone years. They've been as good as any program in the country over the last three years, by any measure you want to use.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT