ADVERTISEMENT

Scored 46, won by 20

Still though, what are we trying to do here.....

I see a score like that and then I see it's Virginia and I understand that it has more to do with their system than them just being bad on offense, so what are you trying to do at the college level of basketball basically finding a way to f***ing reinvent Stall Ball in the shot clock era. You've basically perfected what Bo Ryan wanted to do at Wisconsin.....Congrats.

Come on now. F*** outta here.

giphy.gif

The possessions per game has as much to do with the low scores as anything. They’re solid on D but the pace is significant too

Pace affects the raw numbers but check the efficiency numbers and check the shooting percentages by our opponents. Defense is more than just solid.

Reactions: precise02
Why is y’alls offense so bad? Can’t remember the last time UVA was consistently scoring less than 1 point per possession.

We are actually getting pretty good looks with our sets but we just have no consistent shooters. The guards/wings are all really young and seem to have very little confidence in their shots. Their form isn't bad or anything but they just can not hit anything. Help is on the way but this class looks to be a miss in terms of shooting talent. I'm sure they'll improve but there are no Ty Jeromes, Kyle Guys, or DeAndre Hunters.

Reactions: GE Nole
We are actually getting pretty good looks with our sets but we just have no consistent shooters. The guards/wings are all really young and seem to have very little confidence in their shots. Their form isn't bad or anything but they just can not hit anything. Help is on the way but this class looks to be a miss in terms of shooting talent. I'm sure they'll improve but there are no Ty Jeromes, Kyle Guys, or DeAndre Hunters.

Gotcha. Should be interesting in Tallahassee. We have a couple kids who can get hot but no one who’s “that guy” from the perimeter.

Reactions: jhmossy
Still though, what are we trying to do here.....

I see a score like that and then I see it's Virginia and I understand that it has more to do with their system than them just being bad on offense, so what are you trying to do at the college level of basketball basically finding a way to f***ing reinvent Stall Ball in the shot clock era. You've basically perfected what Bo Ryan wanted to do at Wisconsin.....Congrats.

Come on now. F*** outta here.

giphy.gif
They should do away with the shot clock again. Who doesn't want to see more 6-4 games?

Gotcha. Should be interesting in Tallahassee. We have a couple kids who can get hot but no one who’s “that guy” from the perimeter.

You can't let them get their defense set.
Truthfully think you have to go super fast tempo on Virginia.
You have to press them into easy transition baskets.

Truthfully think you need to open up the game.

More half court the better UVA is

WVU in 17-18 and then Duke 18-19

Both forced them into turnovers and sped the game up

Did I see that Braxton Key is out indefinitely?
There is a lot of talk about UK losing Sestina, but Braxton Key is a pretty important guy for UVA isn't he?

Did I see that Braxton Key is out indefinitely?
There is a lot of talk about UK losing Sestina, but Braxton Key is a pretty important guy for UVA isn't he?

Yes, he is very important for us. Incredibly versatile player that can guard multiple positions, excellent rebounder, and a decent scorer. This sounds more like a Coach K "indefinitely" though. Sounds like he might only miss 1 game. He had wrist surgery (non-shooting hand) but is likely to come back relatively soon. Not sure he'll be back for Purdue on 12/4 but hopefully will be back for UNC on 12/8. Not sure we can win either of those games without him though.

We've also been playing without our starting shooting guard, Kody Stattman. Sounds like he has mono.

Reactions: kyjeff1
What’s an average number of shots per game for most teams? Saw that Maine shot 43 times and Virginia 44. That seems low

You can't let them get their defense set.
Truthfully think you have to go super fast tempo on Virginia.
You have to press them into easy transition baskets.

Truthfully think you need to open up the game.

More half court the better UVA is

WVU in 17-18 and then Duke 18-19

Both forced them into turnovers and sped the game up

Yeah, FSU has had a good amount of success against UVA since Bennett has been there (considering they have typically been the better team). Leonard Hamilton knows how to approach the games. It’s a matter of the players executing.

Clark being so small was an advantage for FSU last year and hopefully will he again this year.

Of course it’s low. They only play 53-56 possessions.

That’s kind of my point. Virginia plays good defense but in my opinion it’s skewed by pace/lack of possessions. Some don’t believe it.

That’s kind of my point. Virginia plays good defense but in my opinion it’s skewed by pace/lack of possessions. Some don’t believe it.

That’s why we use efficiency stats that factor in tempo. And based on efficiency stats, UVA’s defense is clearly the best in the country right now. And it’s been elite for most of the last 5 years.

Virginia plays games with possessions in the 50s. But they are holding opponents to the 20s and 30s. That’s wayyyyyyyy below 1 point per possession. It would be like a team that plays games with possessions around 70 consistently holding teams in the 40s.

Unfortunately for the Wahoos, their offense isn’t even top 75 right now.

That’s why we use efficiency stats that factor in tempo. And based on efficiency stats, UVA’s defense is clearly the best in the country right now. And it’s been elite for most of the last 5 years.

Virginia plays games with possessions in the 50s. But they are holding opponents to the 20s and 30s. That’s wayyyyyyyy below 1 point per possession. It would be like a team that plays games with possessions around 70 consistently holding teams in the 40s.

Unfortunately for the Wahoos, their offense isn’t even top 75 right now.

That's why I said this year will similar to 2017. Probably end up with a 5-6 seed in the tourney and be a first weekend exit. Hopefully not a blowout loss though. No one really expected Guy and Jerome to leave early. But I'll take a championship and them leaving over not winning a title. We're replacing 4 starters from a national championship team. The fact that we are 7-0 with 3 top 80 Kenpom wins already is pretty impressive. But the offense will limit our ceiling this year for sure.

Do you discredit people's offensive numbers because they have more possessions too?

Yeah, FSU has had a good amount of success against UVA since Bennett has been there (considering they have typically been the better team). Leonard Hamilton knows how to approach the games. It’s a matter of the players executing.

Clark being so small was an advantage for FSU last year and hopefully will he again this year.

Yeah Duke and FSU are only ACC teams that Bennett doesn't have a winning record against (3-11 vs. Duke and 8-8 vs. FSU).

But I'll take a championship and them leaving over not winning a title.

100%. Titles have like a 5-10 year lifespan. FSU’s football title in 2013 is still helping me feel better about the last couple years. (Of course basketball has helped too!)

But I do think y’alls ceiling might be higher than 1st weekend. There just aren’t a ton of great teams this year and your D isn’t just excellent it’s all time great. I could see y’all choke the life out of some 4 seed who only had 1 day to prepare and get into the Sweet 16.

Yeah Duke and FSU are only ACC teams that Bennett doesn't have a winning record against (3-11 vs. Duke and 8-8 vs. FSU).

And I think it might even be 3-2 FSU since 2016, which is crazy considering how good y’all were in 2018 and 2019.

100%. Titles have like a 5-10 year lifespan. FSU’s football title in 2013 is still helping me feel better about the last couple years. (Of course basketball has helped too!)

But I do think y’alls ceiling might be higher than 1st weekend. There just aren’t a ton of great teams this year and your D isn’t just excellent it’s all time great. I could see y’all choke the life out of some 4 seed who only had 1 day to prepare and get into the Sweet 16.

Yeah I was in grad school at FSU during the championship run. It was pretty exciting. Who do you think will replace Taggart as the next coach?

I think our floor is 1st round loss. Our ceiling is probably Sweet 16. Split the difference and we probably lose in the 2nd round a la 2017.

And I think it might even be 3-2 FSU since 2016, which is crazy considering how good y’all were in 2018 and 2019.

Yeah FSU is a horrible matchup for us. Definitely not expecting a win this year against you guys.

Yeah I was in grad school at FSU during the championship run. It was pretty exciting. Who do you think will replace Taggart as the next coach?

I think our floor is 1st round loss. Our ceiling is probably Sweet 16. Split the difference and we probably lose in the 2nd round a la 2017.

Man, I don’t know. I really think we should have waited one more year. Not that Taggart was the answer—he wasn’t. But I think we hurt our chances with potential candidates by not giving a guy 3 years.

I’ve heard James Franklin tossed around a good bit. He’d be a slam dunk. But I’m not sure I buy it. Aside from Franklin, the 3 I’ve heard the most scuttlebutt about are Matt Campbell, Brian Kelly, and Mike Norvell. Also would be interesting if Auburn fired Gus.

I remember you used to live in Tally but didn’t know actually at FSU. What grad program?

Man, I don’t know. I really think we should have waited one more year. Not that Taggart was the answer—he wasn’t. But I think we hurt our chances with potential candidates by not giving a guy 3 years.

I’ve heard James Franklin tossed around a good bit. He’d be a slam dunk. But I’m not sure I buy it. Aside from Franklin, the 3 I’ve heard the most scuttlebutt about are Matt Campbell, Brian Kelly, and Mike Norvell. Also would be interesting if Auburn fired Gus.

I remember you used to live in Tally but didn’t know actually at FSU. What grad program?

James Franklin would be an awesome hire. He has recruited VA incredibly well for Penn State. Would not surprise me if FSU continued to raid the best in our state.

I graduated from the social psychology PhD program at FSU in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT