ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer vs Davis

KUhawks34

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
Who do you believe in more? I think most people would say Scheyer but Davis certainly gave himself a major boost this year.

I think these transitions are fascinating. Scheyer obviously is loaded from a recruiting standpoint but has yet to coach a game.

Davis struggled initially but ended up securing what I would think are two of the biggest wins of all time versus Duke from a Carolina perspective. Not to mention a NCAA runner up and is likely to return his core.

Both coaches as of today, are in a good position and have inherited stable programs. Things can change quickly for sure. It is hard to follow up Coach K and Roy.

Both are likely to have rosters that are composed of elite players that are capable of winning titles. If there isn’t initial success the pressure could build big time.

Reactions: wesr
Davis imo dye to age and experience. But the way sheyer is recruiting he’ll be around the second weekend for a while

You honestly might not be wrong at that. Feel like Louisville is about to make a comeback.

Payne is going to put together a monster 2023 class.

As for Scheyer and Davis, it's definitely too early to say anything definitive. Scheyer has never been a HC before. Obviously his recruiting has been elite and that alone should keep Duke relevant. As for Hubert, he was handed a veteran team and delivered a great tournament run. It will be interesting to see if he can keep this up after this group moves on. That said, UNC should be absolutely loaded for next season too.

Uh, how could you reasonably expect folks to really pick between a guy who hasn’t coached yet and a guy has a 100 percent success rate of making the title game and maybe picking up two of the biggest wins in program history? Come on, sort of a silly question atm.

Uh, how could you reasonably expect folks to really pick between a guy who hasn’t coached yet and a guy has a 100 percent success rate of making the title game and maybe picking up two of the biggest wins in program history? Come on, sort of a silly question atm.
The question is asking who you believe in more. Their situations are very different. Just a fun discussion between two blue bloods coaching change.

Honestly---if Self retired and Payne/Scheyer/Davis were KU's best options......i'd be pissed

Honestly---if Self retired and Payne/Scheyer/Davis were KU's best options......i'd be pissed
You can join the “keep it in the family” hiring trend.
9588649.jpg

What!? Over the guy who has never been a coach?!

You homer!
I’m actually pretty curious on the fans’ expectations for Jon over the next few years. Second weekend next year? Replacing a legend is tough, especially one that has been there for over 40 years.

The raw talent will certainly be there to make some noise.

Both are set up nicely, that's for sure.
Hard to gauge before Jon even has a season, but so far Davis looks like a Win.

Wouldn't mind them both being Wins.

I’m actually pretty curious on the fans’ expectations for Jon over the next few years. Second weekend next year? Replacing a legend is tough, especially one that has been there for over 40 years.

The raw talent will certainly be there to make some noise.

Yeah, I would say top three in the ACC and second weekend would be nice. I mean, second weekend IS the Sweet Sixteen, so maybe I'm aiming a bit high, but the lack of experience as a head coach should be countered by the amount of talent...? No expectations for the ACC tourney; too easy to lose the first or second game, you know?

But it really does depend. One injury could make a huge difference, and even a team not gelling great could hurt the team overall in a way that a coach may not have a bit enough impact on to stop.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Davis is already a final 4 coach who made it to the title game, Scheyer has accomplished nothing yet. We can only compare after the end of next season, so its kinda pointless to speculate until Scheyer actually coached a game.

Davis is already a final 4 coach who made it to the title game, Scheyer has accomplished nothing yet. We can only compare after the end of next season, so its kinda pointless to speculate until Scheyer actually coached a game.
So it is pointless to speculate on every freshman or every player who hasn’t played?

ADVERTISEMENT