ADVERTISEMENT

SB Nation’s All-Time Top 50

'18 Villanova (#40) and '15 Kentucky (#33) seem to low.

Never thought the '03 Syracuse team was anything spectacular. So, I'll say #33 is too high for them. And The Fab Five got all way to #20?! The team they lost to is at #46. F

Damn, what do you have to do to wake this place up?

Let’s try this….

LOL @ Calipari having 4 teams on this list and 1 title. 🤣
Its the offseason lol you know how it gets.

Personally, I would have a hard time putting 12 Kentucky above 96 Kentucky. But I'm not shocked at all its one of those UCLA teams at the top.

Never thought the '03 Syracuse team was anything spectacular. So, I'll say #33 is too high for them. And The Fab Five got all way to #20?! The team they lost to is at #46. F

Yeah...not sure why '03 Syracuse is so high and I think '18 Villanova is definitely too low.

I think the '97 KU team should be higher too. I think they were as good or better than '15 Kentucky. Lost earlier in the tourney, but they lost to the eventual champ.

Its the offseason lol you know how it gets.

Personally, I would have a hard time putting 12 Kentucky above 96 Kentucky. But I'm not shocked at all its one of those UCLA teams at the top.
Can't say I remember '96 Kentucky that well, but I'd think they should be higher than '12 too.

Reactions: JimboBBN
GTech 1990 @#36 is ridiculous. They lost 7 games in the reg season, and 3 of their 4 NCAAT wins were by 3 points or less. They were barely a T10 team in the final AP poll.

They were fun to watch if you are old enough to remember them yeah Dennis Scott had one of the sweetest Js ever and Kenny Anderson was a beast but they don't really belong on this list IMO.

EDIT - Had to look this up they were a 4 seed that year. They are the only team in this T50 from 1990, this makes no sense. Unless I overlooked something. I see 1991 UNLV in here, but not 1990 UNLV who actually won the title game by 30+ that year. No comprende.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
Damn, what do you have to do to wake this place up?

Let’s try this….

LOL @ Calipari having 4 teams on this list and 1 title. 🤣
There was 3 for Cal, 1 at Memphis and 2 for UK. Joe B and Pitino teams made the list, giving us 3 titles on the list. I'll take that anytime, 3 coaches 3 titles....

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

And the fab 5 just scraped by Kentucky. Mashburn schooled them until he fouled out. And Brown was injured during the game.

GTech 1990 @#36 is ridiculous. They lost 7 games in the reg season, and 3 of their 4 NCAAT wins were by 3 points or less. They were barely a T10 team in the final AP poll.

They were fun to watch if you are old enough to remember them yeah Dennis Scott had one of the sweetest Js ever and Kenny Anderson was a beast but they don't really belong on this list IMO.

EDIT - Had to look this up they were a 4 seed that year. They are the only team in this T50 from 1990, this makes no sense. Unless I overlooked something. I see 1991 UNLV in here, but not 1990 UNLV who actually won the title game by 30+ that year. No comprende.

Absolutely. Including them in the top 50 is laughable. Yes, they had an incredible trio with Anderson, Scott, and Oliver. Dynamic scorers. All three averaged north of 20 ppg. But, they were a 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament. And they finished 8-6 in conference play. They might be the 36th best team in the 1990s.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
And the fab 5 just scraped by Kentucky. Mashburn schooled them until he fouled out. And Brown was injured during the game.

Michigan was very fortunate to make the title game in 93. They just as easily could have lost in the Round of 32, Sweet 16, Elite 8, or Final Four. It seemed like they won in the final minute or so in each of those games. Definitely not deserving of Top 20 status, IMO.

Feel like that ranking is based more on the clout that came with the Fab 5 - and the fact that they had 3 guys who enjoyed longevity in the NBA. They were not steamrolling schools like an all-time great team should.

that list sucked swamp water

I know a couple people in the list.

Goose, me and Joe.
80479001_2633349793447255_8467748248512102400_n.jpg

I'm having a hard time engaging.
Yea, this is absolutely the dead period. Plus I'm in the middle of switching jobs, so I've been really focused on that lately.

I have a hard time with lists like this, one because I haven't watched at least half of these teams play, and two because its so hard to judge talent from different eras.

Like the 40's and 50's were one style of basketball, the 60's and 70's evolved from there, and so on. Even today's game differs from the title teams of the 2000's. The game changes quickly.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT