ADVERTISEMENT

Sags is back...WVU going to win the Big12

One of the better shot blockers I've seen play. The CBB fan in me wanted him back for another season....the KU fan in me was OK with him staying in. He has a lot of improvement to make on the offensive side, but if he gets better on defense......yikes. Also----gotta love the WVU short term memory on claiming their pre season stake on the big 12 title. Like clockwork, but sure makes it fun.

Prob like 20 blocks against Kansas.

How many of those games did they win?
Now they're without JC..

I don't think my money will be on the Mountaineers this season, but Kudos on the keep, Konate is a stud. Love that I get to watch him wreck schit for another season.

One of the better shot blockers I've seen play. The CBB fan in me wanted him back for another season....the KU fan in me was OK with him staying in. He has a lot of improvement to make on the offensive side, but if he gets better on defense......yikes. Also----gotta love the WVU short term memory on claiming their pre season stake on the big 12 title. Like clockwork, but sure makes it fun.

I'm a homer, but I really think he is the best shot blocker I've ever seen 6'8 or under. It's amazing some of the shots he gets to, and how he avoids fouling.

I think that block against Mikal Bridges might have been my favorite play of the NCAA Tournament. That was the ultimate meeting at the summit.

A lot of people in the program think this could be Huggs most talented team ever. We'll certainly be deep, but it'll depend on the development of our guards.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I'm a homer, but I really think he is the best shot blocker I've ever seen 6'8 or under. It's amazing some of the shots he gets to, and how he avoids fouling.
I won't disagree---I couldn't name someone 6'8 that has that kind of timing against huge leaping guards and strong ass posts. I really wanted svi to flush that on his head

Reactions: doogie503
He kind of came unraveled against Kentucky. I feel like I watched him do the same in another game.

He's a really good college player though.

Prob like 20 blocks against Kansas.

How many of those games did they win?
Now they're without JC..

I don't think my money will be on the Mountaineers this season, but Kudos on the keep, Konate is a stud. Love that I get to watch him wreck schit for another season.

Wait till you get a look at Knapper...

Reactions: EER_Nation
West Virginia could have Jerry West in his prime and they still wouldn't win the Big 12.

WVU lost some good guards but honestly there were times last year that I get they lost games for them. Seems every game against Kansas they would have the lead late only to see Carter pound the ball for 30 seconds and chuck a 3 letting Ku back in the game.

If they get someone to feed the post on a consistent basis WVU could make some noise.

He kind of came unraveled against Kentucky. I feel like I watched him do the same in another game.

He's a really good college player though.

He had 7 or 8 blocks in that game. Put on a show.

Then the whole damn team unraveled. We blew a lot of huge leads last year, but that one was probably the most frustrating. Should've won that game by 25 or 30.

WVU lost some good guards but honestly there were times last year that I get they lost games for them. Seems every game against Kansas they would have the lead late only to see Carter pound the ball for 30 seconds and chuck a 3 letting Ku back in the game.

If they get someone to feed the post on a consistent basis WVU could make some noise.

We had no depth at guard last year. It was just Carter, Miles and Bolden. The press wore those guys down in the 2nd half a lot. This year we'll rotate 5 or 6 guards, and we have a lot more size to go with Konate. We're gonna be ridiculously deep next year. 12 or 13 guys will all play solid minutes.

Huggs has openly said this could be the most talented team he's ever had, at WVU or Cincy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownSean
Doogie you callin a WVU conference championship?

giphy.gif

He had 7 or 8 blocks in that game. Put on a show.

Then the whole damn team unraveled. We blew a lot of huge leads last year, but that one was probably the most frustrating. Should've won that game by 25 or 30.

What I meant by unraveled is when he kind of threw that tantrum on the court. Plus wasn't he one of the guys that took a swing at a fan at Texas tech? He seems like a hot head to me is all and a bit of a ticking time bomb for a tech.

I'd still take him on our team though. I'd take him over pj Washington in a heart beat.

What I meant by unraveled is when he kind of threw that tantrum on the court. Plus wasn't he one of the guys that took a swing at a fan at Texas tech? He seems like a hot head to me is all and a bit of a ticking time bomb for a tech.

I'd still take him on our team though. I'd take him over pj Washington in a heart beat.
No, that was Wesley Harris. He definitely has to mature there's no doubt about that.

I hope Konate heard loudly and clearly that the only way a 6-7 center is going to make an NBA roster is by proving he can make jump shots.

I then hope he shoots his team out of games, like he did against Kansas.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single WVU player that would start for KU, and NO Sags wouldn't start over Doke or Dedric.

Laughing Stop it. He's being projected as a 1st rd pick by most people.

Maybe Esa.

You guys supposedly recruited Culver pretty hard so Self obviously thought he was good enough to play there too.

Last edited:
I hope Konate heard loudly and clearly that the only way a 6-7 center is going to make an NBA roster is by proving he can make jump shots.

I then hope he shoots his team out of games, like he did against Kansas.

He'll easily make a roster. Probably gonna be a 1st round pick next year, and would've gone in the 2nd this year.

He and Carter both killed it at the combine. Sags had 23 and 12 with 4 blocks in 42 minutes.

Carter shot it well and locked up everybody... including Graham. Winking

I am a little worried about Sags playing just to impress scouts next year, and shooting too many jumpers though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownSean
He'll easily make a roster. Probably gonna be a 1st round pick next year, and would've gone in the 2nd this year.

He and Carter both killed it at the combine. Sags had 23 and 12 with 4 blocks in 42 minutes.

Carter shot it well and locked up everybody... including Graham. Winking

I am a little worried about Sags playing just to impress scouts next year, and shooting too many jumpers though.

Look I'm as big of a Sags fan as any and he would definitely start for Kansas but he will not be a 1st round pick next year. Most scouts said he would be a very late second round pick this year. A couple said he wouldn't even be drafted. He is a GREAT college player but there really isn't a position for him on the next level, even if he does greatly improve his shot. He is obviously just too damn short to be a center and not quite athletic/quick and long enough to be a first round PF even if he does trim down, and improve his dribbling and shooting. He is like a poor mans Serge Ibaka but even shorter, less athletic, not as good of a shooter/dribbler.

I know he improved a lot over one year but I don't see him taking the giant leap in some of those categories during the offseason to be drafted in the first round. Hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Look I'm as big of a Sags fan as any and he would definitely start for Kansas but he will not be a 1st round pick next year. Most scouts said he would be a very late second round pick this year. A couple said he wouldn't even be drafted. He is a GREAT college player but there really isn't a position for him on the next level, even if he does greatly improve his shot. He is obviously just too damn short to be a center and not quite athletic/quick and long enough to be a first round PF even if he does trim down, and improve his dribbling and shooting. He is like a poor mans Serge Ibaka but even shorter, less athletic, not as good of a shooter/dribbler.

I know he improved a lot over one year but I don't see him taking the giant leap in some of those categories during the offseason to be drafted in the first round. Hope he proves me wrong.
NBA is quickly going to positionless basketball. I disagree with most of your post politely.

Laughing Stop it. He's being projected as a 1st rd pick by most people.

Maybe Esa.

You guys supposedly recruited Culver pretty hard so Self obviously thought he was good enough to play there too.

Sags would start for Kansas, sliding Lawson to the "3", but no way does Esa..
And I like Esa, but ... where?

Culver, no. Not a starter for '18/'19 Kansas, unless injury or he really took advantage of his prep season.

Reactions: doogie503

Check some mock drafts for 2019, and read the things they said about him at the combine.

Like others said, the NBA has become a positionless game. He could very easily be a 1st round pick in 2019. If a guy like Kenneth Faried can be a 1st round pick, so can Sags.

I've seen Lamont West as a 1st rounder in mock drafts too. Now that blows my mind.

Would Saggy Kojones even crack the list of top four KU big men next year?

1. D Law
2. Udunka
3. Silvio the 'neer killer
4. D Mac
5. Saggy Kojones

Looks about right.

Reactions: DallasJayhawk
NBA is quickly going to positionless basketball. I disagree with most of your post politely.

Maybe I used the wrong words in him not having a position in the NBA but name me a starting PF that is around 6'7" and is only known for his defense and rebounding.. Don't tell me someone like PJ tucker because he can also shoot the 3 and take his man off the dribble. Teams aren't drafting players in the first round to be solid backups which is all he will ever be unless he developes a great shot but even then he has a slow release. I know you don't actually think he is going to be a center so what other part of my post did you disagree with? I enjoy having these conversations so feel free to disagree but tell me with exactly what.

Last edited:
Check some mock drafts for 2019, and read the things they said about him at the combine.

Like others said, the NBA has become a positionless game. He could very easily be a 1st round pick in 2019. If a guy like Kenneth Faried can be a 1st round pick, so can Sags.

I've seen Lamont West as a 1st rounder in mock drafts too. Now that blows my mind.

That is a great comparison but even he couldn't get any minutes over last couple of years coming back from an injury. Also he was more explosive and known as one of the best rebounders ever in college. Even in just the last several years, the league is noticeably moving away from undersized bigs like them unless he they can also consistently shoot and be counted on to make tough shots.

I could see Lamont West become a first rounder before Sags. He has great size and length the nba loves but is even more raw. If he can put in the offseason workouts and make the strides(we can talk about that too if you want) he will surprise some people.

Last edited:
That is a great comparison but even he couldn't get any minutes over last couple of years coming back from an injury. Also he was more explosive and known as one of the best rebounders ever in college. Even in just the last several years, the league is noticeably moving away from undersized bigs like them unless he they can also consistently shoot and be counted on to make tough shots.

I could see Lamont West become a first rounder before Sags. He has great size and length the nba loves but is even more raw. If he can put in the offseason workouts and make the strides(we can talk about that too if you want) he will surprise some people.

Pretty sure Sags had better combine numbers than Faried did. (standing vert was 31 in, max vert 35.5 in, etc.)

Sags is a lot more athletic than you're giving him credit for. He's just a special defensive player. Blocks shots in ways I've seriously never seen.

He's also getting better offensively, and is an 80% FT shooter.

Right. We're in the same boat with Washington, Vanderbilt and Gabriel. We think all 3 are going to wait until 11:59 of the last day.

With Washington being only the likely to stay in? That’s how I see it see it but realistically it’s Washington and Vanderbilt. Does the sound reasonable?

With Washington being only the likely to stay in? That’s how I see it see it but realistically it’s Washington and Vanderbilt. Does the sound reasonable?

We're unsure of what any of them are going to do.

The latest Intel we've gotten is more positive but it's still a lot of "don't be surprised either way". So yeah, no one knows and if they do they aren't saying.

I have to say though I don't think it makes sense for all 3 to return. We really don't have minutes for all 3 to come back and do what they need to do. They all play the same position. Though when healthy Vanderbilt can definitely play the 3. So I see room for 2. Just not 3.

Washington himself has said publicly if he doesn't get a first round guarantee he's coming back. But uk beat writer Kyle tucker and former CI writer TJ Walker are both standing firm that they're still hearing that's not true and that they think he's going to stay in the draft regardless.

Feel like I also read somewhere within the last week that Vanderbilt might have actually been leaning towards staying in as well and that Gabriel is leaning towards taking his chances with the g league or overseas.

So yeah, it's all over the place right now.

And what's worse is that they only have to do the paper work by 11:59 on the 30th. They can make their decision public whenever they want. And there's rumors that 1 or more of them might actually wait a few days to do so.

Reactions: wesr
ADVERTISEMENT