ADVERTISEMENT

Russia thread nuked?

giphy.gif

/\

This is not a particularly informative post.

If I wasn’t on an iPad, I’d come up with a gif response, but gifs and iPads do not get along.

Reactions: KisteK
They don't? Never realized that. Thread had run it's course. I just nuked a half dozen or so.

The issue I run into is that I want to open an image in its own tab, so that I can see/copy the address to then paste it into a post, but it only lets you save the image. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I struggle with it:(

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
The issue I run into is that I want to open an image in its own tab, so that I can see/copy the address to then paste it into a post, but it only lets you save the image. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I struggle with it:(
View image. Then share link. Paste link.

What happened there? Someone break a rule?
He knew what I was going to post next. Basically saved us 20 back and forths. You don't like trump, i don't like trump...but like his proposed policies, i don't know what actually happened---but I usually side with the military leadership. It can end there

See, when I click and hold on it all I get is Save Image and Copy...?

When I'm on my middle's Fire, it won't easily let me post giphy images. There's an extra 3 or 4 steps, minimum.
It's insatiably annoying.

Reactions: TheDude1
When I'm on my middle's Fire, it won't easily let me post giphy images. There's an extra 3 or 4 steps, minimum.
It's insatiably annoying.

Does that include the step of going to KristenWiigGifs.com?:)

Reactions: KisteK
He knew what I was going to post next. Basically saved us 20 back and forths. You don't like trump, i don't like trump...but like his proposed policies, i don't know what actually happened---but I usually side with the military leadership. It can end there

Glad to hear that last part. After McRaven spoke out, Trump said that he stripped the clearance because of the Russia investigation, and that there are more on the way.

"I call it the rigged witch hunt, (it) is a sham," Mr Trump told The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday. "And these people led it! So I think it (stripping his clearance) is something that had to be done."

Then a group of 12 intelligence heads, Republicans and Democrats alike, issued a statement about it. It included former directors of central intelligence William Webster, George Tenet and Porter Goss; former CIA Directors Michael Hayden, Leon Panetta and David Petraeus; former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper; and former deputy CIA directors John McLaughlin, Stephen Kappes, Avril Haines, David Cohen and Michael Morell. Robert Gates, the former CIA director and secretary of defence, signed on to the letter Friday morning.

As former senior intelligence officials, we feel compelled to respond in the wake of the ill-considered and unprecedented remarks and actions by the White House regarding the removal of John Brennan’s security clearances. We know John to be an enormously talented, capable, and patriotic individual who devoted his adult life to the service of this nation. Insinuations and allegations of wrongdoing on the part of Brennan while in office are baseless. ... we all agree that the president’s action regarding John Brennan and the threats of similar action against other former officials has nothing to do with who should and should not hold security clearances – and everything to do with an attempt to stifle free speech. You don’t have to agree with what John Brennan says (and, again, not all of us do) to agree with his right to say it, subject to his obligation to protect classified information. We have never before seen the approval or removal of security clearances used as a political tool, as was done in this case. Beyond that, this action is quite clearly a signal to other former and current officials. As individuals who have cherished and helped preserve the right of Americans to free speech – even when that right has been used to criticize us – that signal is inappropriate and deeply regrettable. Decisions on security clearances should be based on national security concerns and not political views.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-former-intelligence-bosses-speak-out-in-favor-of-brennan/

Then a group of 60 former CIA agents released a statement condemning the move.

"All of us believe it is critical to protect classified information from unauthorized disclosure. But we believe equally strongly that former government officials have the right to express their unclassified views on what they see as critical national security issues without fear of being punished for doing so... Our signatures below do not necessarily mean that we concur with the opinions expressed by former Director Brennan or the way in which he expressed them. What they do represent, however, is our firm belief that the country will be weakened if there is a political litmus test applied before seasoned experts are allowed to share their views."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-for...r-against-trumps-security-clearance-decision/

I am glad that you tend to side with our military folks, and assume that respect extends to our intelligence folks; they are often cut from the same cloth (and many serve in both, if you look at the lists above). Decisions about the intelligence community of our country shouldn't be made because of claims of witch hunts and rigged investigations.

News and information isn’t a bad thing. If we can have a 10 page thread on some random hypothetical alternate history thing, I’m sure this can survive :)

Reactions: Quavarius
it is a great thing if done on a proper forum
maybe you should go find one of those forums
It is kind of crazy. Out of all the forums I frequent regularly on a variety of topics, this is the only one that has politics bleed into it.

It's also kind of nuts how some posters basically disappear during the season and post more in political threads.

It is kind of crazy. Out of all the forums I frequent regularly on a variety of topics, this is the only one that has politics bleed into it.

It's also kind of nuts how some posters basically disappear during the season and post more in political threads.

I can post more about Zion Williamson, if you want... but we are only in August, and I get the feeling people are already sick of hearing about him :)

Reactions: Quavarius
Glad to hear that last part. After McRaven spoke out, Trump said that he stripped the clearance because of the Russia investigation, and that there are more on the way.

"I call it the rigged witch hunt, (it) is a sham," Mr Trump told The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday. "And these people led it! So I think it (stripping his clearance) is something that had to be done."

Then a group of 12 intelligence heads, Republicans and Democrats alike, issued a statement about it. It included former directors of central intelligence William Webster, George Tenet and Porter Goss; former CIA Directors Michael Hayden, Leon Panetta and David Petraeus; former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper; and former deputy CIA directors John McLaughlin, Stephen Kappes, Avril Haines, David Cohen and Michael Morell. Robert Gates, the former CIA director and secretary of defence, signed on to the letter Friday morning.

As former senior intelligence officials, we feel compelled to respond in the wake of the ill-considered and unprecedented remarks and actions by the White House regarding the removal of John Brennan’s security clearances. We know John to be an enormously talented, capable, and patriotic individual who devoted his adult life to the service of this nation. Insinuations and allegations of wrongdoing on the part of Brennan while in office are baseless. ... we all agree that the president’s action regarding John Brennan and the threats of similar action against other former officials has nothing to do with who should and should not hold security clearances – and everything to do with an attempt to stifle free speech. You don’t have to agree with what John Brennan says (and, again, not all of us do) to agree with his right to say it, subject to his obligation to protect classified information. We have never before seen the approval or removal of security clearances used as a political tool, as was done in this case. Beyond that, this action is quite clearly a signal to other former and current officials. As individuals who have cherished and helped preserve the right of Americans to free speech – even when that right has been used to criticize us – that signal is inappropriate and deeply regrettable. Decisions on security clearances should be based on national security concerns and not political views.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-former-intelligence-bosses-speak-out-in-favor-of-brennan/

Then a group of 60 former CIA agents released a statement condemning the move.

"All of us believe it is critical to protect classified information from unauthorized disclosure. But we believe equally strongly that former government officials have the right to express their unclassified views on what they see as critical national security issues without fear of being punished for doing so... Our signatures below do not necessarily mean that we concur with the opinions expressed by former Director Brennan or the way in which he expressed them. What they do represent, however, is our firm belief that the country will be weakened if there is a political litmus test applied before seasoned experts are allowed to share their views."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-for...r-against-trumps-security-clearance-decision/

I am glad that you tend to side with our military folks, and assume that respect extends to our intelligence folks; they are often cut from the same cloth (and many serve in both, if you look at the lists above). Decisions about the intelligence community of our country shouldn't be made because of claims of witch hunts and rigged investigations.
I can not Imagine a scenario where these military leaders with years and years of service aren’t telling the truth.

Reactions: TheDude1
ADVERTISEMENT