ADVERTISEMENT

Ruh Ro Duke

He knew he would be making millions in a year. No need to take money from anyone.
I agree. That is why I find it stupid that anyone in his position would even consider it. Especially with an $8mil insurance policy if he got drafted below 16th. I hope he is better than that.

I agree. That is why I find it stupid that anyone in his position would even consider it. Especially with an $8mil insurance policy if he got drafted below 16th. I hope he is better than that.
I agree. Doesn't make any sense to me.

He knew he would be making millions in a year. No need to take money from anyone.
Now that's just silly.

If I found out that one or two years from now, I'd likely be getting a fat check for $20 million, I'd still be exceptionally happy to take $50K now. It seems absurd to me that you'd think that future money would prevent him from wanting money right now.

The only way I'd turn down money now is if I knew that taking that money now would prevent me from making $20 million a year or two down the road. But that isn't the way it works now is it? Not if you're a lottery pick. The NBA isn't going to not draft you just because you took a check or a heavy handshake while in college. That shit is irrelevant to them. The only situation where it's possibly had an impact is Silvio DeSousa, but he's always been a marginal future NBA prospect. It would have no impact on a guy like Zion, now would it? A, the chances of getting caught are slim, and B, even if he gets caught and has to sit out his only year in college, he knows he's still getting drafted early.

Anyway, the fact that he was shopping in the first place, makes your whole argument null. Obviously, he wanted to get paid anyway. If somebody's shopping, they're shopping. They aren't going home empty-handed.

Now that's just silly.

If I found out that one or two years from now, I'd likely be getting a fat check for $20 million, I'd still be exceptionally happy to take $50K now. It seems absurd to me that you'd think that future money would prevent him from wanting money right now.

The only way I'd turn down money now is if I knew that taking that money now would prevent me from making $20 million a year or two down the road. But that isn't the way it works now is it? Not if you're a lottery pick. The NBA isn't going to not draft you just because you took a check or a heavy handshake while in college. That shit is irrelevant to them. The only situation where it's possibly had an impact is Silvio DeSousa, but he's always been a marginal future NBA prospect. It would have no impact on a guy like Zion, now would it? A, the chances of getting caught are slim, and B, even if he gets caught and has to sit out his only year in college, he knows he's still getting drafted early.

Anyway, the fact that he was shopping in the first place, makes your whole argument null. Obviously, he wanted to get paid anyway. If somebody's shopping, they're shopping. They aren't going home empty-handed.

Cue "where's the proof" line. And round and round we go.....

Lol he implicated duke, uk, Carolina but yet duke gets called out? Yeaaa ok
Because HE WENT TO DUKE. It doesn't matter if KU, UNC, Kentucky, and twenty other schools were willing to have shoe runners pay for him to go to their school. He went to Duke and he didn't do it for free.

Cue "where's the proof" line. And round and round we go.....
Where's the proof against any of these schools? Outside of Sean Miller and Will Wade they don't appear to have much on anyone. Saying school X & Y are cheaters and willing to pay is not the same as a head coach caught on tape arranging payment to players.

I have already said that it would be hard to imagine that there is nothing to this. All you did there was provide the speculations and made assumptions on it. I am certainly not going to say with any certainty that they did not ask for or receive anything. I just think things should play out.

The Zion situation holds more water IMO, but we'll see.
As opposed to the Bagley situation? How did his parents go from bankruptcy to living in a million dollar home in California? How could his family go from making $44,000 a few years earlier to affording an annual tuition of nearly $40K? The only thing that changed between bankruptcy and a lavish lifestyle was Nike's sponsorship of their son's basketball team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mar...cial-gains-fostering-nike-ties-003436661.html

As opposed to the Bagley situation? How did his parents go from bankruptcy to living in a million dollar home in California? How could his family go from making $44,000 a few years earlier to affording an annual tuition of nearly $40K? The only thing that changed between bankruptcy and a lavish lifestyle was Nike's sponsorship of their son's basketball team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mar...cial-gains-fostering-nike-ties-003436661.html

Yes, the Bagley's used a loophole. You have three options: use it too, close the loophole, or just sit here and complain about it.

Because HE WENT TO DUKE. It doesn't matter if KU, UNC, Kentucky, and twenty other schools were willing to have shoe runners pay for him to go to their school. He went to Duke and he didn't do it for free.

No, no, no.....don't listen to Merl Code or Gassnola. EVERYbody goes to Duke and Kentucky for free.

They just dangle some demands out there to troll other schools.

Was it illegal?

So you have nothing. Just speculation. Lets see how that holds up in a court of law.

Where's the proof against any of these schools? Outside of Sean Miller and Will Wade they don't appear to have much on anyone. Saying school X & Y are cheaters and willing to pay is not the same as a head coach caught on tape arranging payment to players.
Yeah man, just Sean Miller & Will Wade. Eyeroll

Gassnola texted Self to tell him thank you for helping to get that extension done. Self replied via text that he was happy with Adidas and wrote “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you win, have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”

Reactions: Montana81
Yeah man, just Sean Miller & Will Wade. Eyeroll

Gassnola texted Self to tell him thank you for helping to get that extension done. Self replied via text that he was happy with Adidas and wrote “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you win, have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”
By posting that you’re proving his point that there’s no proof (atleast that involves Self). If you’re gonna use that quote to implicate Bill Self in all of this then us Kansas fans have just as much right to implicate Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke because of how they are mentioned. None of us have seen any proof but it sure is fun to point fingers.

I will add though that it looks worse for KU right now than those other schools. But so far there’s no damning evidence against them.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
By posting that you’re proving his point that there’s no proof (atleast that involves Self). If you’re gonna use that quote to implicate Bill Self in all of this then us Kansas fans have just as much right to implicate Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke because of how they are mentioned. None of us have seen any proof but it sure is fun to point fingers.

I will add though that it looks worse for KU right now than those other schools. But so far there’s no damning evidence against them.
No it doesn't. Self speculates UNC & Duke, then Gassnola speculates Kentucky.

But the texts ARE the proof that Bill Self was involved since you know, he sent the text messages.

But the texts ARE the proof that Bill Self was involved since you know, he sent the text messages.
I think the proof he was suggesting isn’t there was documented payment to players. There’s no documentation out there where Bill Self agreed to payment for players.

Now that's just silly.

Bowen probably would of been a first round oad also, but he wanted that quick 100k first.

Bill Self never discussed any payments or payment arrangements. You seem to be confused about the definition of proof. Gassnola testified that Self and staff didn't know about any payments.

Therefore, the poster is right. They don't have much.

Just like it didn't "prove" anything specific when Code said that Kentucky cheats.

I guess it depends on how much proof you think is required. KU fans think anything less than a check that was endorsed by Bill Self is insufficient . Did Bill Self cut the checks himself? Of course not. Was he aware that this creep was illegally recruiting players for him? Yes. Was he complicit? Absolutely. The text message conversation supports those assertions.

The Duke, UNC, and Kentucky comment is speculative.

Reactions: kl40504
Now that's just silly.

Zion is not you.

Gassnola testified that Self and staff didn't know about any payments.
I've followed this from a distance hoping that UK isn't mentioned. That said, I've read a lot of the KU stuff but I must have missed this. Can you provide a link?

Bill Self never discussed any payments or payment arrangements. You seem to be confused about the definition of proof. Gassnola testified that Self and staff didn't know about any payments.

Therefore, the poster is right. They don't have much.

Just like it didn't "prove" anything specific when Code said that Kentucky cheats.
Kansas going down

I guess it depends on how much proof you think is required. KU fans think anything less than a check that was endorsed by Bill Self is insufficient . Did Bill Self cut the checks himself? Of course not. Was he aware that this creep was illegally recruiting players for him? Yes. Was he complicit? Absolutely. The text message conversation supports those assertions.

He was talking about needing guys with the guy that cheated for him. Also talked about what is cheating with the guy that cheated for him... LOL but of course KU fans think you need a signed confession or check stubs .

honestly I wouldnt even care if it wasnt for reading the words paypal cal on their KU message boards for years .....

Reactions: Cat_Incognito

Do you see any KU fans denying that or hiding from it?

You're taking issue with someone for saying there is no proof, when there obviously isn't.

Of course you can connect the dots and assume that Self likely knew a payment was involved. Just like you can connect the dots to assume that Zion's family received payment. Or to assume the accuracy of recorded comments by a longtime Nike employee which plainly state that Kentucky, Duke and UNC pay players (not a lot of dots to connect there actually).

Obviously those with heads in the sand will give their coach the benefit of the doubt in terms of level of involvement, but it's immaterial. They all know it's happening. Does it really matter if they send a "we good?" text?

Do you see any KU fans denying that or hiding from it?

You're taking issue with someone for saying there is no proof, when there obviously isn't.

Of course you can connect the dots and assume that Self likely knew a payment was involved. Just like you can connect the dots to assume that Zion's family received payment. Or to assume the accuracy of recorded comments by a longtime Nike employee which plainly state that Kentucky, Duke and UNC pay players (not a lot of dots to connect there actually).

Obviously those with heads in the sand will give their coach the benefit of the doubt in terms of level of involvement, but it's immaterial. They all know it's happening. Does it really matter if they send a "we good?" text?
Anyone with common sense knows Self is dirty by reading those texts and by the recent number of recruits he has had in trouble with the NCAA.

He was talking about needing guys with the guy that cheated for him. Also talked about what is cheating with the guy that cheated for him... LOL but of course KU fans think you need a signed confession or check stubs .

honestly I wouldnt even care if it wasnt for reading the words paypal cal on their KU message boards for years .....

Wah wah. KU fans have dealt with accusations long before texts surfaced.

There's plenty of reason to believe that many players at Kentucky's OAD factory are paid, and Code stating specifically that they're paid doesn't exactly change anyone's mind on the matter.

Thanks, as I said, I've been following from a distance. That certainly isn't consistent with his text comment to Bill Self about Deandre Ayton.

Gassnola, 3:14 p.m.: I promise you. I got this , I have never let you down Except ( Dyondre) lol

We will get it right

It sounds like you don't understand what constitutes proof. The text messages themselves are evidence (proof) that Bill Self knew Gassnola was doing some shady stuff to help him get recruits. I'm not sure what more you require. Do you need video surveillance of Self writing the check, and fingerprints he left on the ink pen?

Or to assume the accuracy of recorded comments by a longtime Nike employee which plainly state that Kentucky, Duke and UNC pay players (not a lot of dots to connect there actually).
Can you please provide a link or a quote? Who are you talking about, Merl Code?

Last edited:
Thanks, as I said, I've been following from a distance. That certainly isn't consistent with his text comment to Bill Self about Deandre Ayton.

Gassnola, 3:14 p.m.: I promise you. I got this , I have never let you down Except ( Dyondre) lol

We will get it right

It sounds like you don't understand what constitutes proof. The text messages themselves are evidence (proof) that Bill Self knew Gassnola was doing some shady stuff to help him get recruits. I'm not sure what more you require. Do you need video surveillance of Self writing the check, and fingerprints he left on the ink pen?

Can you please provide a link or a quote? Who are you talking about, Merl Code?

Code worked for both Nike and Adidas.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-merl-code-jr-alleges-both-pay-ncaa-athletes

You're the one confused about the definition of proof. There's a reason that nothing has happened to Self based on these texts, yet the Adidas reps are in the clink. No matter how it looks, it isn't proof of knowledge of or involvement with payment. There are many ways to influence recruits.

In most cases (obviously not including Miller), I believe coaches look the other way and don't want to have any direct participation. But they're not ignorant to what's going on. Do you think K was clueless to Zion's family's demands? If Anthony Davis were paid 200k (like the rumors), do you really think Calipari was clueless about it?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-merl-code-jr-alleges-both-pay-ncaa-athletes

You're the one confused about the definition of proof. There's a reason that nothing has happened to Self based on these texts, yet the Adidas reps are in the clink. No matter how it looks, it isn't proof of knowledge of or involvement with payment. There are many ways to influence recruits.

In most cases (obviously not including Miller), I believe coaches look the other way and don't want to have any direct participation. But they're not ignorant to what's going on. Do you think K was clueless to Zion's family's demands? If Anthony Davis were paid 200k (like the rumors), do you really think Calipari was clueless about it?
Why is Self on tape talking to a convicted felon representing Adidas saying he needs help getting real good players. Is K or Cal doing the same. If you have any common sense you know that is suspicious.

Why is Self on tape talking to a convicted felon representing Adidas saying he needs help getting real good players. Is K or Cal doing the same. If you have any common sense you know that is suspicious.

No one’s denied this. Yet you keep pounding it. Killing me, Sparky.

If you had any common sense, you’d acknowledge that Code’s recorded statements about Kentucky and Nike must be true.

Hm. Wonder why you don’t?

No one’s denied this. Yet you keep pounding it. Killing me, Sparky.

If you had any common sense, you’d acknowledge that Code’s recorded statements about Kentucky and Nike must be true.

Hm. Wonder why you don’t?
The only proof is Self on tape. Not Cal stupid. Anybody can say anything. I called you stupid but that doesn't make it true. The difference is Self himself on tape.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
The only proof is Self on tape. Not Cal stupid. Anybody can say anything. I called you stupid but that doesn't make it true. The difference is Self himself on tape.

Come on, hockey puck...are we talking about proof or common sense? Tapes or texts?

How do you know Zions family made demands to Duke? That hasn’t been mentioned as fact. Only opposing fans speculation.

Unreasonable

Yes, you clowns are extremely unreasonable.

A guy who was knee-deep in this business with Nike for years called you out in a secretly recorded conversation with undercover agents, yet you bury your heads and deny.

Meanwhile, KU fans fully admit that the texts look bad, and most of us acknowledged how this stuff works long before anything had come out.

How do you know Zions family made demands to Duke? That hasn’t been mentioned as fact. Only opposing fans speculation.

You know... you’re right. They probably just trolled other schools and had no demands for Duke. RollLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT