ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams

thebasketballreasons

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2013
Since winning his first and only legit title in 2017, Roy Williams has suffered 3 straight blowout losses when his UNC was eliminated from the NCAA March Madness. In these 3 losses against Texas A&M, Auburn, and Wisconsin, Roy Williams and his Tar Heels lost by a combination of 62pts, an average of 20.7ppg. Of course these aint some kind of shocking UMBC upset or 2 vs 15 upsets, but the way UNC was never in the game was utter humiliation. He used to be perfect in the round of 64, and now this record is no longer in tact.

What do UNC fans think about him? Do you feel its about time that he steps down and retires, so the program can move on and rebuild with a new young head coach more suited for the modern era of college basketball? Or do you think UNC should stick with Roy Williams for a few more years of mediocrity before he retires?

giphy.gif

I heard UNCG's Wes Miller was supposed to be Roy Williams' successor when he retires, is he any good? Its hard to judge from the game against Florida State due to the huge talent disparity.

Since winning his first and only legit title in 2017, Roy Williams has suffered 3 straight blowout losses when his UNC was eliminated from the NCAA March Madness. In these 3 losses against Texas A&M, Auburn, and Wisconsin, Roy Williams and his Tar Heels lost by a combination of 62pts, an average of 20.7ppg. Of course these aint some kind of shocking UMBC upset or 2 vs 15 upsets, but the way UNC was never in the game was utter humiliation. He used to be perfect in the round of 64, and now this record is no longer in tact.

What do UNC fans think about him? Do you feel its about time that he steps down and retires, so the program can move on and rebuild with a new young head coach more suited for the modern era of college basketball? Or do you think UNC should stick with Roy Williams for a few more years of mediocrity before he retires?

He's got 3 legit titles Junior and he's gonna get 1 more.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
He's got 3 legit titles Junior and he's gonna get 1 more.

Dont be so mad bro. Think about it, if UNC had Wes Miller at the sideline yesterday, you'd not have been blown out like that. Not saying you'd win of course, but it would've been a much closer and more respectful scoreline.
:cool:

Not mad at all. The dig at Roy what I was responding to. Also all of Roy's title teams were junior/senior laden teams. Like I said before he's gonna get 1 more and btw who is your team?

Interesting, how does he compare to Greg Gard from Wisconsin who succeeded Bo Ryan?
I don’t know too much about Gard, other than he was the 2020 B1G Coach of the Year, which is impressive. Miller has been coaching longer, and has been very successful at UNCG. Plus, he played at UNC under Roy.

He sure is looking old and haggard tho. Will UNC go after Bill Self when he retires?

Dont think this will happen, but its an interesting idea. I always wonder if Bill Self is a choke artist himself, or its just KU's tradition. I recall Roy Williams also choked quite often in his KU years, but almost never happened once he took over UNC. If Bill Self goes to UNC and doesnt lose to mid majors again, then perhaps its just KU curse. Or if the choking procedure continues, we will know for sure its Bill Self's own problem.

Dont think this will happen, but its an interesting idea. I always wonder if Bill Self is a choke artist himself, or its just KU's tradition. I recall Roy Williams also choked quite often in his KU years, but almost never happened once he took over UNC. If Bill Self goes to UNC and doesnt lose to mid majors again, then perhaps its just KU curse. Or if the choking procedure continues, we will know for sure its Bill Self's own problem.

What team are you a fan of?

ADVERTISEMENT