ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams Retiring?

I think, they are not interested, just like why there aint as many competent white players in NBA as black players. Blacks more interested in being athletes, whites more interested in doing other things. Of course there are just much less black population than white population, this should be a factor too. If you have a different opinion, I'd love to hear.
you're a fvcking idiot dude. From your terrible game predictions to this ridiculous take, you take the cake when it comes to shit posting

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
you're a fvcking idiot dude. From your terrible game predictions to this ridiculous take, you take the cake when it comes to shit posting

Funny how you are so mad at the post I made but you were unable to actually provide a valid reason/logic against my point, so you decide to use personal insults. Fine if that’s the best you can do, you already lost the argument when you are so triggered like this.

Funny how you are so mad at the post I made but you were unable to actually provide a valid reason/logic against my point, so you decide to use personal insults. Fine if that’s the best you can do, you already lost the argument when you are so triggered like this.

You lost the argument with your racist, terrible takes. Next thing you’ll say you have a lot of black friends who agree with you.

No reason for anyone to consider your assertion that black people are incompetent to coach and are uninterested in doing 'white things', personal. That's where you lost the argument days ago.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
You lost the argument with your racist, terrible takes. Next thing you’ll say you have a lot of black friends who agree with you.

Nah you lost the argument when you had nothing useful to say and decided to play the race card. But anyway, the worst has yet to come, the 2005 and 2009 titles will be vacated soon so good luck coping with that.

What’s so funny about? If I were Hubert Davis or Wes Miller, I’d feel it’s a blessing in disguise when the 2005 and 2009 titles are vacated. Less pressure to succeed a coach who won 1 title with the team, than 3 titles. If they manage to win 1, that’s already on par with Roy Williams.

What’s so funny about? If I were Hubert Davis or Wes Miller, I’d feel it’s a blessing in disguise when the 2005 and 2009 titles are vacated. Less pressure to succeed a coach who won 1 title with the team, than 3 titles. If they manage to win 1, that’s already on par with Roy Williams.

You are really a sharp dude. Like I said before, ban bet those titles don't go bye bye, don't be scared.

Last edited:
So, according to this article, UNC has already interviewed Hubert Davis, Steve Robinson, King Rice, Jerry Stackhouse, and Wes Miller. Are they even going to try to hire someone outside the Carolina family?

I am going to be supremely pissed if Duke's pool for K's successor is between Hurley, Wojo, Capel, Amaker, Dawkins, and a host of other unqualified coaches. If you're a blue blood, you don't hire the best person that has ties to the program. You hire the best candidate, period!

Reports are out it’s Hubert Davis as the next UNC coach.

You guys didn't even interview a single external candidate!?!? WTH!? I get this will help minimize roster turnover in the short term, but is this a great intermediate to long-term solution?

Oh well, maybe I'll eat my words. Davis will probably have decent seasons and runs in the Round of 32 and Sweet 16. Just not convinced that he's the best candidate out there. I'm thrilled about this decision myself, because it seems like UNC is settling simply for the best internal hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgrooms
Reports are out it’s Hubert Davis as the next UNC coach.

Talk about another gut punch. I just don’t see this one ending well, though maybe I’m wrong. Hopefully Wes keeps gaining experience and learning so that he can dig us out of a hole in 4 years.

You guys didn't even interview a single external candidate!?!? WTH!? I get this will help minimize roster turnover in the short term, but is this a great immediate to long-term solution?

Oh well, maybe I'll eat my words. Davis will probably have decent seasons and runs in the Round of 32 and Sweet 16. Just not convinced that he's the best candidate out there. I'm thrilled about this decision myself, because it seems like UNC is settling simply for the best internal hire.

I was really hoping you guys would be next to make this mistake.

Reactions: dukedevilz
So, according to this article, UNC has already interviewed Hubert Davis, Steve Robinson, King Rice, Jerry Stackhouse, and Wes Miller. Are they even going to try to hire someone outside the Carolina family?

I am going to be supremely pissed if Duke's pool for K's successor is between Hurley, Wojo, Capel, Amaker, Dawkins, and a host of other unqualified coaches. If you're a blue blood, you don't hire the best person that has ties to the program. You hire the best candidate, period!

I said in another thread.

The problem is if you go outside of the Carolina Basketball Family and that coach fails it could turn ugly.

I guess they don't think it is worth the risk. Keeping everyone happy and their feet in the program is the way they want to go.

Reactions: UNC71-00
You guys didn't even interview a single external candidate!?!? WTH!? I get this will help minimize roster turnover in the short term, but is this a great immediate to long-term solution?

We interviewed other candidates.

I'm sure Rock Chalk Jayhawk felt the same way about their new HC in 1989- dude had never coached a college game in his life and wasn't even the first or 2nd assistant.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I said in another thread.

The problem is if you go outside of the Carolina Basketball Family and that coach fails it could turn ugly.

I guess they don't think it is worth the risk. Keeping everyone happy and their feet in the program is the way they want to go.

I don't think it's a terrible hire, personally. Just not sure it's a homerun hire. If you're a blueblood, you can get almost any coach you want. There are maybe 5-10 coaches that wouldn't seriously entertain an interview with UNC. I guess part of my concern is Duke is going to repeat this "keeping in the family" nonsense and our program will gradually decline over time.

Anyone who thinks that there will be a long line of top candidates from outside of Duke waiting to replace K needs his head examined.

It's an almost no win situation to follow an all time great. Let someone else take the heat first.

I don't think it's a terrible hire, personally. Just not sure it's a homerun hire. If you're a blueblood, you can get almost any coach you want. There are maybe 5-10 coaches that wouldn't seriously entertain an interview with UNC. I guess part of my concern is Duke is going to repeat this "keeping in the family" nonsense and our program will gradually decline over time.

I told Kentucky fans this and it upset them...
Calipari would have never left Memphis if the NCAA didn't come around.
Not saying that Memphis is a better job than Kentucky but at that time it was. Calipari could get anyone he wanted and wasn't worth the risk.

So...
It would be difficult for UNC to get a home run hire.
Who was going to take the job? None of the people had any connections to the university or basketball program

We interviewed other candidates.

I'm sure Rock Chalk Jayhawk felt the same way about their new HC in 1989- dude had never coached a college game in his life and wasn't even the first or 2nd assistant.

What other candidates did you interview? I'm not saying it's a terrible hire. Just seems like if you have a choice between a proven commodity and a potentially promising candidate, I'd be more inclined to go with the guy that has the proven track record.

Anyone who thinks that there will be a long line of top candidates from outside of Duke waiting to replace K needs his head examined.

It's an almost no win situation to follow an all time great. Let someone else take the heat first.

For sure. It's always tough to follow a legend. And I absolutely fear that Duke's fate will be similar. K was hired with little experience, so there's no reason to believe why he wouldn't want to handpick one of his former assistants. He's liable to believing you don't need a 5-star resume to earn the job, since he himself didn't have an impressive resume when he was hired... Maybe he'll coach til he dies. And then we won't have to worry about K influencing the AD.

Reactions: UNC71-00
It would be difficult for UNC to get a home run hire.
Who was going to take the job? None of the people had any connections to the university or basketball program

Difficult to find a homerun hire? Sure. I agree. But, it doesn't seem like they made much of an effort to land a coach that was outside the UNC family. How many coaches in the top 50 wouldn't be interested in leaving their current job for a blue blood? Mark Few, Jim Boeheim, Tom Izzo, maybe Juwan Howard and Leonard Hamilton? After that, 90%+ of coaches would say, "Sure, I'll interview for that job!"

Difficult to find a homerun hire? Sure. I agree. But, it doesn't seem like they made much of an effort to anyone outside the UNC family. How many coaches in the top 50 wouldn't be interested in leaving their current job for a blue blood? Mark Few, Jim Boeheim, Tom Izzo, maybe Juwan Howard and Leonard Hamilton? After that, 90%+ of coaches would say, "Sure, I'll interview for that job!"

Indiana says probably not.
Unless you think the IU name has zero value anymore.
None of those coaches were interested in that job.

Beat case scenario for UNC is for Davis to win..
But they probably have a backup plan with Jerry Stackhouse.

Vandy wasn't great by any means but they lose a lot of close games..
Their talent is at the bottom of the SEC. They played over their heads this year.

What other candidates did you interview? I'm not saying it's a terrible hire. Just seems like if you have a choice between a proven commodity and a potentially promising candidate, I'd be more inclined to go with the guy that has the proven track record.

I know Holtmann for sure. I can't imagine he was the only outside guy we would have talked to, given that we talked to him.

Difficult to find a homerun hire? Sure. I agree. But, it doesn't seem like they made much of an effort to land a coach that was outside the UNC family. How many coaches in the top 50 wouldn't be interested in leaving their current job for a blue blood? Mark Few, Jim Boeheim, Tom Izzo, maybe Juwan Howard and Leonard Hamilton? After that, 90%+ of coaches would say, "Sure, I'll interview for that job!"

I don't want any of those guys 2nd tier guys.

One thing about the Carolina Basketball "brand" is that things are kept in house. If you are going to pull for Carolina, that's what you sign up for.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Indiana says probably not.
Unless you think the IU name has zero value anymore.
None of those coaches were interested in that job.

Beat case scenario for UNC is for Davis do win..
But they probably have a backup plan with Jerry Stackhouse.

Vandy wasn't great by any means but they lose a lot of close games..
Their talent is at the bottom of the SEC. They played over their heads this year.

In the past 27 seasons, UNC has been to 9 Final Fours and they've won 3 national titles. In that same time frame, Indiana has been to one regional final. That's hardly a great comparison. While Indiana is historically good, they lack relevancy to high school kids they don't reside in Indiana. UNC is at the top of food chain and should be able to get just about anyone they want.

I know Holtmann for sure. I can't imagine he was the only outside guy we would have talked to, given that we talked to him.

The beat writer for Ohio State has a conflicting report. I've seen the rumors for Holtmann, though. And there are some reports that dismiss the idea that he interviewed. Hard to know what's really true because coaches and administrations will actively deny any interview rumors, even after it's been corroborated.

In the past 27 seasons, UNC has been to 9 Final Fours and they've won 3 national titles. In that same time frame, Indiana has been to one regional final. That's hardly a great comparison. While Indiana is historically good, they lack relevancy to high school kids they don't reside in Indiana. UNC is at the top of food chain and should be able to get just about anyone they want.

😂
That is a thread for another time and place.

Home run hire.
Jay Wright or Mark Few. Maybe a few others.

They all have a program who is already capable of winning a NC. Plus they have the protection of not being fired for a couple of bad seasons.

That protection is removed when you take a job like UNC. Plus possibly they have a better roster already with the school they are at.

A coach like Scott Drew probably won't ever leave Baylor.

The beat writer for Ohio State has a conflicting report. I've seen the rumors for Holtmann, though. And there are some reports that dismiss the idea that he interviewed. Hard to know what's really true because coaches and administrations will actively deny any interviews rumors, even after it's been corroborated.

No one said he interviewed today.

And I just don't think Few, Stevens, etc. (top tier) follow Roy (or K), Too much to lose, not enough to gain.

No one said he interviewed today.

And I just don't think Few, Stevens, etc. (top tier) follow Roy (or K), Too much to lose, not enough to gain.

Those aren't the ones I was thinking of. More like Scott Drew, Brad Underwood, Nate Oats, Dana Altman, Porter Moser (before he got the OU job), or Eric Musselman. Chris Holtman would have been a solid candidate, too.

Again, I don't think it's necessarily a bad hire. Just not sure I would want my program to confine itself to only internal candidates. UNC still has a great brand image, so recruiting should be relatively successful. Just a matter of whether Hubert can push the right buttons to get his teams to excel.

Underwood in that group as well.

Coaches who haven't won.

Are you going to go with these coaches who are looking to win a NC and possibly will fail or stay with someone from your university.

Not that hard of a choice when you realize Mark Few and Jay Wright won't ever leave their schools

Those aren't the ones I was thinking of. More like Scott Drew, Brad Underwood, Nate Oats, Dana Altman, Porter Moser (before he got the OU job), or Eric Musselman. Chris Holtman would have been a solid candidate, too.

Again, I don't think it's necessarily a bad hire. Just not sure I would want my program to confine itself to only internal candidates. UNC still has a great brand image, so recruiting should be relatively successful. Just a matter of whether Hubert can push the right buttons to get his teams to excel.

Drew will probably be removed tonight if he hasn't removed his name already

ADVERTISEMENT