ADVERTISEMENT

Rosanne Lamar Bee Left/Right Slugjam

You mean like some are trying to attach Roseanne to Keith Olbermann and Kendrick Lamar?
Olbermann is/was under the same corporate umbrella as Roseanne. He didn't get reprimanded (to my knowledge) for his idiotic tweets. The Kendrick Lamar thing was just dumb AF and racist.

I think you are reaching.

A) nobody knew
B) he did not make an ass out of himself just like Roseanne did
C) it seems people do care, at least a bit, since a few folks here have said he was a dick
B) Not sure how he didn't make an ass out of himself. Totally a calculated and pre planned move to embarrass an innocent fan. Singled her out by skin color to do so. Then proceeded to ruin her fun evening by being a complete douchebag. How did he not embarrass himself?

B) Not sure how he didn't make an ass out of himself. Totally a calculated and pre planned move to embarrass an innocent fan. Singled her out by skin color to do so. Then proceeded to ruin her fun evening by being a complete douchebag. How did he not embarrass himself?

You are missing the key part; "just like Roseanne did."

Roseanne tweeted something that compared a black Muslim woman to a monkey and a terrorist.

Having a drunk white girl singing your song and giving her a hard time for saying "******" and telling her to bleep it isn't the same.

BTW, how do we know it was preplanned and all of that? I didn't see the video or anything. Could it just have been a spur of the moment thing... like, he stood there watching a white girl spit out that word a bunch of times and spontaneously was like "Oh shit, lemme get on this!"

No, I don't think that is true. Calling a black Muslim woman a monkey and a terrorist is a LOT worse than telling a white girl to bleep herself when she sings the N word.

Love this statement from the company that makes Ambien:

"While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication."

I love when major companies throw shade on social media. The Wendy's twitter account is RIPE.
I would fully agree if she called her a monkey. But she didn't. She said she looked like a movie character that was a human playing the roll of an ape.

Don't confuse this with defending her comment. It is not. I just want fair condemnation of what was a racially insensitive joke and not an unfair accusation of her calling her an ape because she is black.

You are missing the key part; "just like Roseanne did."

Roseanne tweeted something that compared a black Muslim woman to a monkey and a terrorist.

Having a drunk white girl singing your song and giving her a hard time for saying "******" and telling her to bleep it isn't the same.
It doesn't have to be the same. The similarity in the situations where race was used against a person by someone famous is why it seemed relevant to me. It doesn't have to be the same exact situation for it to be seriously messed up. Giving her a hard time or planning to embarrass someone on stage b/c of their skin color seem to be two different situations. You seem reluctant to call it out for what it is???????

Reactions: uncfan in ky
I would fully agree if she called her a monkey. But she didn't. She said she looked like a movie character that was a human playing the roll of an ape.

Don't confuse this with defending her comment. It is not. I just want fair condemnation of what was a racially insensitive joke and not an unfair accusation of her calling her an ape because she is black.
\

Wait, what? No, she did not say that she looked like a movie character that was a human playing the role of an ape. She said "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.” That's about as direct as you can be. I think you are WAYYYY overthinking it, and trying to make it more thoughtful than it was.

It doesn't have to be the same. The similarity in the situations where race was used against a person by someone famous is why it seemed relevant to me. It doesn't have to be the same exact situation for it to be seriously messed up. Giving her a hard time or planning to embarrass someone on stage b/c of their skin color seem to be two different situations. You seem reluctant to call it out for what it is???????

Uh, no.

That other poster said that what they did was the same. Literally, he wrote that.

It was NOT the same. It wasn't even in the same stratosphere.

I did NOT say it wasn't messed up. In fact, I haven't passed much judgment at all on the Lamar thing, because I didn't see the video and haven't heard any statement from him. I gave a few ideas about what could have happened, but that is it. I don't know much about the situation at all.

T, I'm pretty careful with my language. Read what I wrote, and not what you think I am saying.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
\

Wait, what? No, she did not say that she looked like a movie character that was a human playing the role of an ape. She said "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.” That's about as direct as you can be.
Planet of the apes is a movie where movie characters play the role of apes, right? Anywhere in there did she mention that she was saying that because VJ is black?

They both made an ass out of themselves, that’s the point.

On B, I think he made a bigger ass out of himself than Roseanne did. What he did was blatant racism. What Roseanne did was make a dumb and thoughtless joke that is racially insensitive.

But did Kendrick Lamar dress up as Hitler and bake Jewish people cookies? Roseanne was axed not just because of a single tweet (which is worse than what Lamar did for the reasons that TheDude1 stated); she was on thin ice already.

Reactions: Quavarius
Planet of the apes is a movie where movie characters play the role of apes, right? Anywhere in there did she mention that she was saying that because VJ is black?

Sorry man, I don't know where you are going with this.

Calling black people monkeys or apes is one of the oldest insults in the book.

When someone refers to a black person and then says that they look like the baby of "planet of the apes" I think it is very, very, very clear what is being said there.

And you think this WASN'T because VJ is black?

Again, I think you are WAY overthinking this in some way, to the point where you are starting to think away from the very obvious.

Olbermann is/was under the same corporate umbrella as Roseanne. He didn't get reprimanded (to my knowledge) for his idiotic tweets. The Kendrick Lamar thing was just dumb AF and racist.

So idiotic tweets and racists tweets equal the same huh? If idiotic tweets should get you fired, then....

But did Kendrick Lamar dress up as Hitler and bake Jewish people cookies? Roseanne was axed not just because of a single tweet (which is worse than what Lamar did for the reasons that TheDude1 stated); she was on thin ice already.

While I know that picture is out there, wasn't it part of a sketch? I'd be surprised if that played any real part... its just a REALLY bad visual, given what has happened.

She has been on thin ice though, I do agree... she's posted a lot of crazy.

Reactions: Quavarius
Here, sure. But there seem to be a good number of Roseanne supporters out there, judging by social media.
always a good idea.

I liked the show, the tweet was dumb and she's paying the consequences. I'm more pissed off about Kevin Spacey getting booted from House of Cards. I mean I get what he did was terrible but the victim had already lived with it for like 15 years, he couldn't have waited until the final season was released to blow the whistle? selfish prick.

While I know that picture is out there, wasn't it part of a sketch? I'd be surprised if that played any real part... its just a REALLY bad visual, given what has happened.

She has been on thin ice though, I do agree... she's posted a lot of crazy.

It was a photoshoot for a satirical Jewish magazine in Germany, and apparently it was her idea. She's not crafty enough to pull off something so (understandably) sensitive, and she had to understand that. It's not as bad as presenting with no context, but it's not entirely "it's okay," either. Fortunately or unfortunately, acceptable comedy moves quickly.

Uh, no.

That other poster said that what they did was the same. Literally, he wrote that.

It was NOT the same. It wasn't even in the same stratosphere.

I did NOT say it wasn't messed up. In fact, I haven't passed much judgment at all on the Lamar thing, because I didn't see the video and haven't heard any statement from him. I gave a few ideas about what could have happened, but that is it. I don't know much about the situation at all.

T, I'm pretty careful with my language. Read what I wrote, and not what you think I am saying.
My point is why is arguing whether or not its the same kind of deal or just remotely similar worth the time? IMO, its clear both famous people made the decision to use race negatively. Both should face consequences. I wont defend either of them and think they should both be to busy and smart to pull that kinda stuff.

Srsly? Even Tomi Lahren thinks you're trying too hard to find an angle: . It wasn't even really dog whistle level.
Nowhere in that tweet is there anything that goes against what I have been saying. I think it was absolutely wrong. But it is wrong for what it is. Being a stupid, thoughtless and racially insensitive joke. Not calling black people monkeys.

Sorry man, I don't know where you are going with this.

Calling black people monkeys or apes is one of the oldest insults in the book.

When someone refers to a black person and then says that they look like the baby of "planet of the apes" I think it is very, very, very clear what is being said there.

And you think this WASN'T because VJ is black?

Again, I think you are WAY overthinking this in some way, to the point where you are starting to think away from the very obvious.
You saying that she called her a monkey is WAY overthinking it. Again, you will confuse my comments for a defense of hers, but you are refusing to acknowledge that it was a little more than a bad, tasteless joke. I don't think it was because she was black, which doesn't excuse the bad joke, but I have no way of proving that just like you have no way of proving it was.

Nowhere in that tweet is there anything that goes against what I have been saying. I think it was absolutely wrong. But it is wrong for what it is. Being a stupid, thoughtless and racially insensitive joke. Not calling black people monkeys.

You saying that she called her a monkey is WAY overthinking it. Again, you will confuse my comments for a defense of hers, but you are refusing to acknowledge that it was a little more than a bad, tasteless joke. I don't think it was because she was black, which doesn't excuse the bad joke, but I have no way of proving that just like you have no way of proving it was.

Dude, sorry, just can't agree. I don't think I said anything about you defending her or not. I just absolutely think you are wrong if you are maintaining that the planet of the apes comment had nothing to do with Jarrett being black, and I think if you believe that you are maybe the 1% of American, right or left, who does. I don't think it was a joke in that there was no build, no punchline... there were no hallmarks of "joke". I don't know WHAT it was, to be honest? I don't know... I can't actually believe that Roseanne is some big racist, but shit, who knows... I'm honestly befuddled by her at this point, and struggling to figure out what she was doing.

Dude, sorry, just can't agree. I don't think I said anything about you defending her or not. I just absolutely think you are wrong if you are maintaining that the planet of the apes comment had nothing to do with Jarrett being black, and I think if you believe that you are maybe the 1% of American, right or left, who does. I don't think it was a joke in that there was no build, no punchline... there were no hallmarks of "joke". I don't know WHAT it was, to be honest? I don't know... I can't actually believe that Roseanne is some big racist, but shit, who knows... I'm honestly befuddled by her at this point, and struggling to figure out what she was doing.
Well, the things we disagree on here are things that neither one of us can fully prove to be right or wrong. So let's just finish this part of the conversation by acknowledging the thing we do agree on. What she said was stupid and the consequences of her comments were fully warranted.

Reactions: SNU0821
Conservatives have a strange affair with Hollywood, celebrities, entertainers and athletes. Very strange indeed.

Conservatives have a strange affair with Hollywood, celebrities, entertainers and athletes. Very strange indeed.
So strange that they don't act shocked when someone loses their job because of radical or racially charged comments. I see a line of conservatives protesting outside of ABC headquarters demanding Roseanne be reinstated.

That's a strange comparison bud. Very strange indeed.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Dude, not smoking is killing me haha better not ditch me tonight on ball

I didn't smoke last night either!

I think I'm on tonight... got dinner with a few folks, but should be back on the early side... then a business mate coming by for a bit... but I should be on.

Reactions: JimboBBN
What does that have to do with your post saying we are all obsessed with Hollywood and athletes?

Because one minute conservatives yell those people need to shut up and stick to their profession all the while supporting or voting for one. Strange.

Because one minute conservatives yell those people need to shut up and stick to their profession all the while supporting or voting for one. Strange.
I think you’re trying a little hard here. Everyone itt has said she was stupid for what she did. The KL thing was kinda off but there was literally no reason at all to make this political. You are reaching.

Horrible comparison. Those people left their profession to run for elected positions. That's called putting your money where your mouth is. You know, put up or shut up?

Reactions: SNU0821
I think you’re trying a little hard here. Everyone itt has said she was stupid for what she did. The KL thing was kinda off but there was literally no reason at all to make this political. You are reaching.

Roseanne is in Hollywood, right? How is that reaching?

I'm guessing its b/c that contingent of people have a propensity to say really dumb stuff and like little sheep, their followers cant help but gobble it up. There seems to be an embarrassing amount of people that use famous people to help them decide what political issues are important to them instead of their own brains and research.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT