ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Morris moving to Horizon League?

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
The Robert Morris Colonials, located just outside of Pittsburgh in Moon Township, have emerged as a potential candidate to become the next member of the Horizon League. They were interested in joining the MAAC but the interest was not mutual, so they looked for other options.

RMU’s program has a lot of positive momentum right now, between opening up a brand new basketball arena in the fall and winning the 2020 NEC Tournament. Andy Toole has done a phenomenal job with his program, and joining the Horizon would be a huge step in the right direction.

UPMC_Events_Center.jpg

Horizon is a better league than the MAAC anyway.
Agreed, but I think they were looking at that one first because it’s a similar geographical footprint as the NEC.

It’ll also work out for them in the sense that they’ve been developing a rivalry with Youngstown State the past few years, and now they’d play every season.

The Horizon league is like the 3rd or 4th best conference in there Midwest. It be Big Ten is first, then the MAC, and then it’s either the Horizon or the Missouri Valley.

I’d give the edge to the Missouri Valley they had a team that went to the Final Four and team that beat UK in Rupp.

The Horizon league is like the 3rd or 4th best conference in there Midwest. It be Big Ten is first, then the MAC, and then it’s either the Horizon or the Missouri Valley.

I’d give the edge to the Missouri Valley they had a team that went to the Final Four and team that beat UK in Rupp.

I think the MVC is better than the MAC when it comes to hoops

I think the MVC is better than the MAC when it comes to hoops
It’s close for sure. Northern Iowa and Loyola Chicago have been good, and Bradley has been a consistent tournament team recently as well. I like the depth of the MAC a bit better, and the MAC recruits a bit better too.

Reactions: duckboy33
In addition to Loyola Chicago, Wichita State was in the Final Four this decade as a member of the MVC. I'd give the edge to the MVC over the MAC. They've been more consistent.

KenPom Conference Rankings from the past 10 years:
2020: 11. MVC 12. MAAC 22. Horizon
2019: 9. MAC 15. MVC 18. Horizon
2018: 9. MVC 13. MAC 24. Horizon
2017: 10. MVC 13. MAC 20. Horizon
2016: 11. MVC 12. MAC 16. Horizon
2015: 11. MAC 12. MVC 14. Horizon
2014: 11. MVC 12. Horizon 14. MAC
2013: 9. MVC 12. Horizon 15. MAC
2012: 9. MVC 13. Horizon 14. MAC
2011: 9. MVC 13. Horizon 14. MAC

Butler's last year in the Horizon was 2012
Wichita State's last year in the MVC was 2017

Reactions: MGC_07

I agree. I hate to see UK play any MAC team in basketball or football because they expect to win against a power.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT