ADVERTISEMENT

RIP NCAA

Truthfully think this would help basketball schools.
The NCAA gets all the money for the tournament. The NCAA tournament is like 10x the money of college football. Difference is in football the schools get the money in basketball it goes to the NCAA
Disband the NCAA and start over

Truthfully think this would help basketball schools.
The NCAA gets all the money for the tournament. The NCAA tournament is like 10x the money of college football. Difference is in football the schools get the money in basketball it goes to the NCAA
Disband the NCAA and start over
If the NCAA was.eliminated, college sports would fail.

i will take a shot at it
very few schools sports programs could financially survive

How do they survive now?
Not from the NCAA.
They survive based on football money and at some schools basketball money but because college basketball regular season games are near worthless more schools bring in money for football.
If you would find a way for the schools to get a larger cut of the TV money from the NCAA tournament they actually would have more money for the non revenue sports.

How do they survive now?
Not from the NCAA.
They survive based on football money and at some schools basketball money but because college basketball regular season games are near worthless more schools bring in money for football.
If you would find a way for the schools to get a larger cut of the TV money from the NCAA tournament they actually would have more money for the non revenue sports.

that money is shared by all
if the NCAA did not exist then why would the money makers share any money
they would form 4 super conferences (it has been talked about) they would make and share almost all college sports revenue
without the NCAA schools not in one of those super conferences would have a very hard time keeping their athletic department operating, especially having to work under title nine
then take into account how many lower level athletes will not have the chance to get a college education
as the old saying goes "be careful of what you ask for"

i am sure you know who the NCAA actually is

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/finances

Reactions: IUfanBorden
How is that?
Because the NCAA provides money. Much needed money. One example is The Academic Enhancement Fund. Which helps pay for scholarships, tutorials, state of the art trchnolgy. The NCAA also provides schools with insurances, attorney's, etc, etc..

In other words, sports would not survive. Sure places from.P5 conferences would get by. But that would be about it. The examples I gave are just a few or many, many amenities the NCAA provides.

Reactions: mebeblue2
I would say if this comes to fruition and CA college athletes start getting paid starting in 2023, all those schools will be banned from NCAA competition, at least in regard to competing for championships. There are already several other states with this in the works though, so eventually the NCAA will have to relent, otherwise they won't have anyone left to compete. I think this will become federal legislation sooner rather than later though and the NCAA won't be able to do anything about it. Either way, it will create disproportionate recruiting advantages. If you are getting paid for your likeness and eligible to do endorsements, you're gonna be making a lot more money representing that likeness for a big time school as opposed to Podunk U. The only thing that could even the playing field would be for every scholarship athlete on every team to be paid the same amount, and we know that's not going to happen.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I would say if this comes to fruition and CA college athletes start getting paid starting in 2023, all those schools will be banned from NCAA competition, at least in regard to competing for championships. There are already several other states with this in the works though, so eventually the NCAA will have to relent, otherwise they won't have anyone left to compete. I think this will become federal legislation sooner rather than later though and the NCAA won't be able to do anything about it. Either way, it will create disproportionate recruiting advantages. If you are getting paid for your likeness and eligible to do endorsements, you're gonna be making a lot more money representing that likeness for a big time school as opposed to Podunk U. The only thing that could even the playing field would be for every scholarship athlete on every team to be paid the same amount, and we know that's not going to happen.

if my memory serves me correctly
i think when Olympic athletes were amatures they were allowed to make money while still being a amature
i think back then the money made had to be put in a trust until they were no longer amatures

The NCAA should agree to let them get paid, in certain ways, and stay in the NCAA. Buy a jersey? Give player a cut. Playing cards? Cut. Shoe deals/promotional stuff? Cut. Etc....

However, the NCAA gets to use their rights for Broadcasting, commercials, advertisements, etc... for Free. Also slip in players waiving their rights to be in NCAA sports games also. :D

Because the NCAA provides money. Much needed money. One example is The Academic Enhancement Fund. Which helps pay for scholarships, tutorials, state of the art trchnolgy. The NCAA also provides schools with insurances, attorney's, etc, etc..

In other words, sports would not survive. Sure places from.P5 conferences would get by. But that would be about it. The examples I gave are just a few or many, many amenities the NCAA provides.

Who said everyone had to separate.
Directional State U probably wouldn't want to.
The top half of the P5 should.
I know UNC threatened to lead the breakup of the NCAA a few years ago.

The P5 schools would be fine
Majority, would. Sure. But that's just 60 some schools. There are 323 or more, D1 schools. It would ruin sports. Look, the NCAA is a joke. But it helps schools a lot more than it hurts them. I'm camping right now, so don't have time to list all the amenities the NCAA provides. But trust me, they make the train go.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Who said everyone had to separate.
Directional State U probably wouldn't want to.
The top half of the P5 should.
I know UNC threatened to lead the breakup of the NCAA a few years ago.
I think it would be a mistake for the P5 schools, even the top half, to disband. There are a lot of "in's and outs", the NCAA provides, that eventually would start to lead troubles, i.e. legal aspects that the NCAA protects schools from. Insurance benefits. And of course, money. It sounds good; huffing and puffing. But there's a reason it hasn't happened ...As much as some these schools dislike the NCAA. AT THE end of the day, they know who drives the train.

The NCAA has no one to blame but themselves with their double standards in applying penalties, and refusal to control terrible officiating, and incessant rules changes each year. Some games are un-watchable the last 5 minutes because officials running to review plays and taking 5 minutes to make a decision.

Reactions: duckboy33
So the ncaa carries the smaller schools financially off the money they make off of the top P5 programs? Among the other things u listed.

And I totally agree the ncaa brought this on themselves with their own incompetence, double standards, and favoritism.

The NCAA has no one to blame but themselves with their double standards in applying penalties, and refusal to control terrible officiating, and incessant rules changes each year. Some games are un-watchable the last 5 minutes because officials running to review plays and taking 5 minutes to make a decision.
NCAA has ZERO control over the officiating . Nome. Nadda. Zip . Also, the officiating has declined. No doubt .But it's nowhere near as bad as some of you think.

With this new twist and the latest FBI ruling, the NCAA has to go back to their original concept which is some control over the eligibility of the student athlete as it pertains to grades. Approved classwork is a joke. Approved entrance is a joke.The kids haven't been student athletes for half a century. The have merely been athletes with a designation of student. Sure, over the years there have been some who are really good academic athletes, but they are few in number compared to the total.

Says the Kentucky basketball fanEyeroll

I'm showing my age when I say I recall the betting and point shaving scandal and the time UK almost got the "death penalty", but both Rupp and Dean Smith were great coaches.

Says the Kentucky basketball fanEyeroll
Says the guy talking about something that happened over 30 years ago, when a package supposedly containing $1000 cash mysteriously came open in transit, happened to have a UK staffer's return address on it, and this "news" is made public. Coincidentally this all happened at a warehouse in Los Angeles... and UCLA was also heavily recruiting Mills. Sounds legit, definitely doesn't sound like anyone got framed. Laughing

CBS signed that Billion dollar contract to cover the NCAAT . so they can DICTATE who can or can't play and who can and who can't get paid.

the NCAA has these big schools by the balls and all they need to is SQUEEZE,

let these P5 schools threaten to leave, all the B=NCAA has to say bye bye to any further NCAA Sanctioned National Champion ships.
pretty soon the top players will play for the teams that stayed. time to start to use the DP again. the athletes have plenty of options to choose from,

when the NBA 1 n done rule exspires the top players will simply go straight to the NBA. so they won't be affected.

now my question is just who from the P5's are going to leave?

the SEC teams will suddenly find themselves holding a empty bag, don't see to many BT teams leaving. the rest of the P5 teams just might follow the BT lead in staying.

CBS signed that Billion dollar contract to cover the NCAAT . so they can DICTATE who can or can't play and who can and who can't get paid.

the NCAA has these big schools by the balls and all they need to is SQUEEZE,

let these P5 schools threaten to leave, all the B=NCAA has to say bye bye to any further NCAA Sanctioned National Champion ships.
pretty soon the top players will play for the teams that stayed. time to start to use the DP again. the athletes have plenty of options to choose from,

when the NBA 1 n done rule exspires the top players will simply go straight to the NBA. so they won't be affected.

now my question is just who from the P5's are going to leave?

the SEC teams will suddenly find themselves holding a empty bag, don't see to many BT teams leaving. the rest of the P5 teams just might follow the BT lead in staying.

without the P5 conferences there are no big T.V. deals for the NCAA

BTW the schools make up the NCAA
NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

without the P5 schools the NCAA would become a shell of itself

What’s to stop Joe-Appliance-Salesman booster from paying a top recruit $1,000,000 to be on a company flier? Wouldn’t the team with the richest boosters just get the best recruits? Nike would simply hire athletes and pay millions to go to Oregon.. put their name on a shoe and call it good. How could a Washington State compete?

without the P5 conferences there are no big T.V. deals for the NCAA

BTW the schools make up the NCAA
NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

without the P5 schools the NCAA would become a shell of itself

The NCAA already has a post season tournament without the top P5 schools. They have the rights to the NIT.

ADVERTISEMENT