ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Michael Ojo

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
The world lost an incredible human being today. I’ve been fortunate to be pretty close to the FSU program for the last decade or so, and Michael Ojo is the epitome of the selfless and growth minded culture that Hamilton has cultivated.

From a basketball perspective, watching him develop from a completely raw giant who couldn’t even catch, turn, and dunk, into an actual basketball player who set vicious screens, blocked shots, made 75%+ of his free throws, and started nearly every game for a top 10 team was simply awe-inspiring as to what hard work can do.

From a human perspective, I don’t possess the words to describe how incredible he was in the locker room, in the classroom, and in the community. I truly feel he could have been some type of human ambassador.

Watch this video to get a taste of who he was and how he approached life, and hope you can find someone like this to be a light in your life.

Heart attack at such a young age - I mean really this is tough to put into words no matter the individual but it feels like it hurts a little more when this happens to people that look set to make a real difference in the world later in life.

RIP big fella.

Sad story.

Although, whenever I read about similar stories, I wondered why their heart conditions weren't discovered. I mean, athletes go through physicals after physicals, don't they?

Sad story.

Although, whenever I read about similar stories, I wondered why their heart conditions weren't discovered. I mean, athletes go through physicals after physicals, don't they?
Unfortunately, a lot of heart related issues cannot be detected, until its to late, i.e. autopsy.

Sad story.

At least in college, he did not have a heart condition.

I’ve heard it mentioned that he previously contracted COVID and had since recovered, but there is some thought that his heart could have been damaged by COVID. That’s speculation at this point.

But he did not have a pre-existing heart condition.

At least in college, he did not have a heart condition.

I’ve heard it mentioned that he previously contracted COVID and had since recovered, but there is some thought that his heart could have been damaged by COVID. That’s speculation at this point.

But he did not have a pre-existing heart condition.
Damn that’s terrible. Seemed like such a nice dude with a solid head on his shoulders. Way too young to pass away, way too young. It reminds me of U of L’s Marvin Stone who passed away at 26. Not sure if you remember him, but he had a heart attack mid game when he was playing overseas. Tragic.

Unfortunately, a lot of heart related issues cannot be detected, until its to late, i.e. autopsy.

Yep. Several years ago I thought I was having heart issues. After the traditional treadmill test, they scheduled a treadmill and had me hooked to a machine. Can’t recall if it was like an EKG or what. After the test they said I had the heart of an athlete. I asked how accurate? They said 80% and the only way to a more accurate reading was insertion of a camera to look at the heart. I said, I’m good.

Yep. Several years ago I thought I was having heart issues. After the traditional treadmill test, they scheduled a treadmill and had me hooked to a machine. Can’t recall if it was like an EKG or what. After the test they said I had the heart of an athlete. I asked how accurate? They said 80% and the only way to a more accurate reading was insertion of a camera to look at the heart. I said, I’m good.
Through my heart issues, I've became an "expert" on heart issues, etc, etc...It sounds as if you had what is called a "Stress test". They hook you up to a monitor, and an ECG(EKG)....Put you on a treadmill, and gradually increase the speed. They may choose an incline, or uphill..The basis is to see how good your blood flow is...

I've had many test....

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
Through my heart issues, I've became an "expert" on heart issues, etc, etc...It sounds as if you had what is called a "Stress test". They hook you up to a monitor, and an ECG(EKG)....Put you on a treadmill, and gradually increase the speed. They may choose an incline, or uphill..The basis is to see how good your blood flow is...

I've had many test....

The first one was a treadmill but don’t recall being hooked up. One doctor. The 2nd one I was hooked up to monitors and they were watching them. The 2 technicians said they travel around to different hospitals to conduct these tests. There was a nurse also. I felt comfortable with their knowledge and the results.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
The first one was a treadmill but don’t recall being hooked up. One doctor. The 2nd one I was hooked up to monitors and they were watching them. The 2 technicians said they travel around to different hospitals to conduct these tests. There was a nurse also. I felt comfortable with their knowledge and the results.
That was a stress test...

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT