ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Lute Olson

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Dude built Arizona into a nationally elite program. When he was hired in 1983, Arizona only been to the NCAA Tournament 3 times. From 1985 all the way to 2007, when he retired, he never missed the tournament. 23 consecutive appearances in the tournament, 5 appearances in the Final Four, 1 National Title. He'll also be remembered for being the last coach to lead Iowa to a Big Ten Title in 1979. One of the greatest coaches in the modern era. RIP, Lute.

I believe he was also very successful @ Iowa. Didn't he take them to a FF in 1980?

I always thought he was a solid coach. Seemed for years he had the label of not being all that great because of no title, then he got that title and poof consensus is he's solid.

Probably solid with or without it.

RIP Lute.

Sad news, man...Always liked Olson. Great teams at Zona.

Interesting tid-bit...Was reading on twiiter and read where Damon Stoudamire was talking about Lute. He said he had told Denny Crum he was coming to Louisville. Then Lute called him a midnight, and they talked for 3 hours. Changed his mind, and went to AZ...

One of the few guys you never hear anything negative about. RIP

Sad news, man...Always liked Olson. Great teams at Zona.

Interesting tid-bit...Was reading on twiiter and read where Damon Stoudamire was talking about Lute. He said he had told Denny Crum he was coming to Louisville. Then Lute called him a midnight, and they talked for 3 hours. Changed his mind, and went to AZ...

I saw that too and was unaware. We would have had a helluva back court with Stoudamire and DeJuan Wheat. I loved Mighty Mouse in the Pros, he was one of my favorite players in that era.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT