ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Anthony Bourdain

npreston

Apr 15, 2004
Man, I was shocked to read see the news this morning. Absolutely loved this guy. Such a fvckin rock star chef. May he RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

0AMZgedO_400x400.jpg

I can’t remember a run of celebrity suicide like the one we’ve been on these past couple of years.

It’s crazy.

US government health officials on Thursday said the nation's suicides had risen by 30% since 1999, and that the crisis was a growing problem. Nearly 45,000 Americans died by suicide in 2016.

US government health officials on Thursday said the nation's suicides had risen by 30% since 1999, and that the crisis was a growing problem. Nearly 45,000 Americans died by suicide in 2016.
Isn’t it also kind of limited to being a first world problem? I’ve read that Japan’s suicide rate is pretty ridiculous right now and it’s obviously getting much worse here in the United States. Makes you think that people who live with less struggle have more difficulty finding meaning in their lives. Guys on the main board are saying whites are 3x more likely to commit suicide than blacks are and we all know (well most do, lol) the difference in privilege between whites and blacks in this country.

Sad news indeed.
His shows on CNN were both enlightening and entertaining.

R.I.P.

Reactions: KisteK
Parts Unknown is a favorite in our home, even if we have to screen it a little if he highlighted a brothel or something.

What a loss...

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
My view of mortality have become too real. My family absolutely love this guy...we watch every episode he have star in since he first started.

This one was shocking to me. Dude seemed like he was living the dream. You never really know what someone is dealing with

This one was shocking to me. Dude seemed like he was living the dream. You never really know what someone is dealing with
It is truly hard for me to believe this is true. Dating a beautiful woman, making a boat load of money..well respected across the globe

It is truly hard for me to believe this is true. Dating a beautiful woman, making a boat load of money..well respected across the globe

Yeah. It's not necessarily rational. Mental illness is real. It's just sad. He had all the resources to get help but clearly saw this as the only way out.

I have to say, having never watched him or seen him do anything, the reactions to his death seem pretty dramatic. Why is this such a bigger deal than most deaths...?

I have to say, having never watched him or seen him do anything, the reactions to his death seem pretty dramatic. Why is this such a bigger deal than most deaths...?
He was a cool dude who a lot of people could relate to. He was captivating when he would talk and it was fun watching his shows. I'm a huge food nerd and watched everytime I could. Also, I think the fact that this is so sudden and the nature of his death plays a part.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
Sit down and watch his shows whether it's "No Reservations" or "Parts Unknown"

He isn't a journalist , just a chef. But he has a way of connecting with people all over the world on a personal level by sitting down and eating with them. The fact he isn't a journalist and is better than all of them on CNN is pretty telling.

He also has his fair share of demons and interesting experiences with his drug addiction and even trafficking in the 80's.

If you enjoy seeing the world and traveling..... His show was the gold standard for allowing you to see places you may never go to. He also has a knack of getting inside the political realm when he travels without getting political himself. Which in this day and age is damn near impossible.

Yeah, okay, good stuff. Yeah, hadn't seen him... not into cooking shows, and I don't watch CNN or anything like that. Seems like an interesting guy.

Yeah, okay, good stuff. Yeah, hadn't seen him... not into cooking shows, and I don't watch CNN or anything like that. Seems like an interesting guy.
Read Kitchen Confidential. It was a major influence on me and how I wanted to live my life i.e. travel/experiences/food. He was a gifted writer and story teller with a lot of demons.

Read Kitchen Confidential. It was a major influence on me and how I wanted to live my life i.e. travel/experiences/food. He was a gifted writer and story teller with a lot of demons.

Ohhhh, he wrote that? I have been told it is great, but have never read it. Okay, good stuff.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
Ohhhh, he wrote that? I have been told it is great, but have never read it. Okay, good stuff.
"If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food. It's a plus for everybody."

I don't watch CNN at all. This was the only reason. And to @tw3301 comment about reality TV. This was one of the few reality TV shows that actually shows real everyday people. Yea you would get musicians , chefs , and artists on the show. But it was about immersing yourself in the culture of a place with food and how it makes people put their guards down and open up.

Ie. The Armenia episode I posted. I would never go to Armenia and all I knew of Armenia was it's in a volatile part of the world and the Kardashians. That episode actually made me think it would be a cool place to visit. Also shows you how screwed over that country has been , to the point where they are a subculture of 11 million but only about 3 million are actually in Armenia. Due to ethnic genocide by the Turks.

This article has a good rundown along with highlights of his best episodes of both shows.
http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/anthony-bourdain-best-tv-episodes.html

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT