ADVERTISEMENT

Replacing a Legend: Who might UNC turn to after Williams era?

If Billy Donovan doesn't get extended by OKC or takes another NBA Job and Shaka Smart gets fired ..

Where else would he go?
Not going to sit out waiting for another job.

Unless Duke or UNC wants to get rid of their coaches

Kansas because of the NCAA could be a possibility.
Heard rumors that Bill Self may be thrown under the bus if it comes to it.

Damn that’s a lot of ifs. Laughing

Damn that’s a lot of ifs. Laughing

You need a job opening first...

You have to look at what jobs will most likely be opened in March and April.
That is if Donovan doesn't stay in the NBA

I highly doubt UNC moves on from Roy for Billy Donovan.
Disrespectful. Thing I like about them they have a little bit of class and a sense of family.

Reactions: Yellow Man
Roy will coach for at least 5 more years. He just landed maybe his best recruiting class ever. He is 3/4 years young than K.

This gives time for Haase, Stack, or Miller to prove themselves.

I really hope we don’t hand the job to Hubert.

I’ll be interested how it plays out. Unc basketball has always sort of reminded me of the um football program in that a lot of their alumni base and former players sort of set having ties to the school as a prerequisite. As a um fan, I think it dumb at um and I think a lot of unc fans probably do to but it still exists.

its won't matter kids still won't have to go to class and the bag men are still going to be there. it will just be business as usual for UNCheats.

I’m not overly impressed w anyone in the Carolina family tree at this point, but I don’t think Roy is leaving anytime soon.

I’m not overly impressed w anyone in the Carolina family tree at this point, but I don’t think Roy is leaving anytime soon.
Imo K and Roy are year to year.Neither need the money and have had health problems.Those jobs are physically and mentally demanding.Amazing that they still have the energy at their ages

Imo K and Roy are year to year.Neither need the money and have had health problems.Those jobs are physically and mentally demanding.Amazing that they still have the energy at their ages

The question is does Roy Williams want to step down.
He is 69. Getting near that point. It is his decision though.

No one at Carolina will force him out for Billy Donovan.
If he wants to coach he stays.

The question is does Roy Williams want to step down.
He is 69. Getting near that point. It is his decision though.

No one at Carolina will force him out for Billy Donovan.
If he wants to coach he stays.
I could see a situation similar to Dean, where he waits til it’s almost too late to do anything but hire from within, where Hubert becomes Roy’s Coach Gut.

I could see a situation similar to Dean, where he waits til it’s almost too late to do anything but hire from within, where Hubert becomes Roy’s Coach Gut.

Guthridge went to 3 Final 4s in 4 years I believe. Trying to remember who coached the year when UNC lost to Arizona.
Either 3 out of 4 or 2 out of 3.
Only thing you could say is he didn't leave the program as well off as he received it.

UNC would be smart to roadblock Duke and go after Bobby Hurley

Hurley supposedly is looking for a way out.
Has recruited pretty well at Arizona State. Just doesn't have the success one may want.

That would actually be funny watching him coach UNC and then having Duke scramble for a coach.

Has recruited pretty well at Arizona State. Just doesn't have the success one may want.

That would actually be funny watching him coach UNC and then having Duke scramble for a coach.

UNC isn't hiring a dukie. He may be the next coach at Texas if Shaka shits the bed this season.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
UNC isn't hiring a dukie. He may be the next coach at Texas if Shaka shits the bed this season.

You would rather see him coaching there.

If he can a NC as a coach hasn't been determined yet. Don't know if he can.

Neither school may be interested in him.

The one coach I was surprised that isn't listed and one who could be secretly available is Mark Few.

The one coach I was surprised that isn't listed and one who could be secretly available is Mark Few.

Mark Few is a great coach but I don't see him leaving Gonzaga. I view him like Tony Bennett because he built that program so why leave and try to make another program relevant/or receive a bump in pay? I saw where he makes about 1.3 million a year and he's 57 years old. If he does leave some school is going to offer him the moon compared to what he's making now.

Probably because no one thinks Few would be interested in leaving his current job.He has built a program that rivals any in the nation.If he were to go either of these he would constantly be compared to K or Roy

its won't matter kids still won't have to go to class and the bag men are still going to be there. it will just be business as usual for UNCheats.
Hi dragonhawk....BLESS YOUR HEART...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

No one is going to go to class now. UNC created Covid so that nobody would attend school and then they could just have kids stay home and play XBox all day and get credit and stuff but still play basketball. Brilliant when you think about it. Also about as likely as Iowa ever winning anything. Idiots like you probably hang your hat both could be true though.

I think Miller and Stack have potential for different reasons. Long way to go to prove UNC level stuff though.

Sean Miller or Will Wade, either would be a perfect fit Winking

I would prefer Cal tbh.

That’s not how it happened. The plan was always for Dean to retire around 65 and let Gut take a few swings at a title. Then Roy would come home. Roy getting cold feet upset the plan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Smith#Retirement

Read about the retirement. “Little warning,” and he retired in October. He wanted to get Gut the gig. Well played, Dean.
You misunderstood me. It was always Dean’s plan. He didn’t tell anyone because why would he? Back then, he was effectively the AD for the school. Dean wanted Gut to get a ship and then bring in Roy.

Years later, he told Roy he retired too early.

Reactions: 829305
There are rumors that Donovan could be interested in the right job.

I would assume that UNC would raise Bennett’s pay. Virginia might be in a stretch in which they’re succeeding at UNC’s level, but let’s not act like he’d have no advantages at UNC. The only reason to stay at Virginia is because he built the program. There are many reasons to potentially leave. It’s one of a handful of jobs that coaches dream about.

And I’m guessing Holtmann would take it in a heartbeat.

I know for certain he is very happy in Columbus. OSU has deep pockets too.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Hurley is a great coach imo. Give him a job with a blue blood and watch. I met him and his wife at Keeneland Race Course in Lexington several years ago. Very impressive.

Wes Miller is a former Heel and a pretty solid coach. He'd probably be low on their list but I think he'd be a great hire.

We'll see. As of now we only know you won't/haven't hired an AA.
Unrelated comment, but why do we always say African American? I don't call myself a European American or English American. I was born in America and don't have citizenship elsewhere, making me an American.

ADVERTISEMENT