ADVERTISEMENT

Replacing a Legend: Who might Duke turn to after Coach K era?

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...end-who-might-duke-turn-to-after-coach-k-era-

What if today's top college basketball programs had to replace a legendary coach? Where would they turn? Over the next few weeks, analyst Dan McDonald will take a look at who could be next in line for the nation's top programs when they need to replace legendary coaches. This week, a look at how Duke could try to replace Mike Krzyzewski.

THE LIST (in alphabetical order)
TOMMY AMAKER, Harvard

xravwq4riqcbtt5snlhg

You’ll notice a theme as we go through these candidates, and it’s a pretty obvious one. The next hire will most likely have ties to Duke and Coach K. Amaker played point guard for Duke at the beginning Coach K’s historic run, and he has become a terrific coach. He has experience coaching at a top public university and arguably the top private university, which translates well to Duke.

After a bumpy run at Michigan, where he took over a program dealing with NCAA issues, he’s put together an impressive 250-138 record in 13 seasons at Harvard, including four trips to the NCAA Tournament and back-to-back trips to the Round of 32. He’s recruited Rivals150 prospects to Harvard, which never happened prior to his arrival.

JEFF CAPEL, Pitt

h5n8kk3faocv9mwqv6by

Jeff Capel (AP Images)
Again, we have a former point guard from the early stages of Coach K’s run at Duke. Capel served two stints as an assistant coach at Duke and played a huge role in the recruitment of many of Duke’s top players in recent years, including

Zion Williamson

His first college head coaching job came 20 years ago at VCU when he was just 27 years old. He compiled a 79-41 overall record in four years and really kick-started the success VCU has experienced the past two decades. He then left for Oklahoma, where he recruited

Blake Griffin
and made a run to the Elite 8 in his third season. Turmoil hit the program and he was let go, and he returned as an assistant at Duke.

He’s in the process of building up a Pittsburgh program that needed a jolt and has the program headed in the right direction. Of all the candidates on this list, he’s the best bet to ensure the Blue Devils maintain the current level of recruiting.

CHRIS COLLINS, Northwestern

qatzmo5ozz9vu3qz3qhp

Chris Collins (AP Images)
Collins also played point guard under Coach K and spent 14 years on the bench as one of his assistants. He took over at Northwestern as the head coach in 2013 and has experienced moderate success in his seven seasons. The highlight came in 2017, when he helped Northwestern reach the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history.

It’s been tough sledding since, though, with three straight losing seasons. It’d probably be tough for Collins to be a real player for the job if it opens in the next year or so, but if it goes beyond that and he can get back to making the NCAA Tournament, he’ll have a shot.

BOBBY HURLEY, Arizona State

clgbewi6zk4bygo2m78k

Bobby Hurley (AP Images)
Hurley, like the other four coaches on this list, played point guard for Duke under Coach K. However, he’s the only coach on this list that didn’t serve as one of his assistants. That may or may not be a deal-breaker in the search, but he’s one of the most identifiable players in the school’s history.

After getting a late start in coaching, he quickly worked up the ladder to become Arizona State’s head coach after two years building up Buffalo into a MAC powerhouse and an NCAA Tournament team. He had two straight NCAA Tournament appearances in a row and was on track for a third before this season was cut short with the virus. Hurley has also proven to be a very aggressive and effective recruiter and has put the Sun Devils in the mix regularly with five-star prospects, which includes signing

Josh Christopher
this year.

STEVE WOJCIECHOWSKI, Marquette

x8sdso1bsvzmhvmnpowt

Steve Wojciechowski (AP Images)
“Wojo” always seems to come up as one of the top candidates to replace Coach K, and for good reason. He spent 16 years sitting next to Coach K on the bench at Duke. He’s six seasons into his tenure as head coach at Marquette with a 115-81 record at the Big East school, which includes two trips to the first round of the NCAA Tournament and he was on track for a third this year before the tournament was scrapped.

He’s recruited fairly well and regularly brings in Rivals150 prospects, but has only landed one five-star prospect:

Henry Ellenson
his first recruiting class. He did put together arguably his best class in 2020 with three four-star prospects and does have a roster now with
D.J. Carton
transferring in with immediate eligibility that could make a run the next couple years and put him right at the top of the list.

THE CHOICE
At this point, I’d go with Hurley as the next head coach at Duke. He’s recruited at the highest level as a head coach. He plays a fun style that will always attract the top guards in the country to play for him, and he’s proven he can win. I would imagine Duke fans would get really excited about the idea of their former star guard coming home to lead the program. Hurley would be a home run hire for the Blue Devils.

Hurley, who has never had single digit losses in 7 seasons as a head coach, would be a home run hire. Laughing

Reactions: bkingUK
This topic comes up every 3 months. Yes, K is old. Yes, he'll retire soon.

At this point, however, I don't think any of the former Duke guys have done enough to merit the job. I'd be more interested in Chris Beard or Brad Stevens, personally.

Reactions: tw3301 and ceilo77
This topic comes up every 3 months. Yes, K is old. Yes, he'll retire soon.

At this point, however, I don't think any of the former Duke guys have done enough to merit the job. I'd be more interested in Chris Beard or Brad Stevens, personally.

Well, of course, but you know that the old man’s going to handpick one of his boys. Better squeeze in another final four while they can.

I don't think they would seriously consider Capel. Collins has a losing record in 7 years, but he's coaching the perennial doormat program of the Big Ten, so can't really blame it all on him. I can see Wojo kissing the most ass to make his case. Amaker might be the best coach from "the brotherhood" but I agree that Hurley makes the most sense if they do hire from within.

I don't think they would seriously consider Capel. Collins has a losing record in 7 years, but he's coaching the perennial doormat program of the Big Ten, so can't really blame it all on him. I can see Wojo kissing the most ass to make his case. Amaker might be the best coach from "the brotherhood" but I agree that Hurley makes the most sense if they do hire from within.
I agree, I think Amaker would be the best hire out of the K coaching tree, but they need to be careful. I realize the duke fanbase isn't huge, but they are used to winning at a high level.

But if Wojo, Amaker, Hurley or Collins comes in there and bombs (sub 20 win seasons and NIT appearances), the fanbase will turn on whoever the coach is, then you have a situation where a beloved member of the family is viewed as inadequate.

If I was making the hire, I would go after someone outside the family tree like @dukedevilz suggested.

I agree, I think Amaker would be the best hire out of the K coaching tree, but they need to be careful. I realize the duke fanbase isn't huge, but they are used to winning at a high level.

But if Wojo, Amaker, Hurley or Collins comes in there and bombs (sub 20 win seasons and NIT appearances), the fanbase will turn on whoever the coach is, then you have a situation where a beloved member of the family is viewed as inadequate.

If I was making the hire, I would go after someone outside the family tree like @dukedevilz suggested.

Our admin gave him crap support but he was not good here. Hes a really good recruiter, is a decent defensive coach but cant coach offense at all. He also struggled with roster management. Really if you look at what hes done at Harvard compared to the talent advantage(recruits absurdly well for an ivy) he has over league opponents its not that impressive.

K's grandson has four years of eligibility. So, unlikely he retires before 2024. Four or five years from now, I'm sure we'll have some hot new prospects that could be potential successors. While K is certainly going to have a say in the matter, he is not the athletic director. Kevin White isn't doing his job if he's also not looking at external candidates as well.

Outside of Calipari and Mick Cronin, Duke would be doubling just about anyone's salary. 99% of coaches would be interested in the job. Realistically, you want the best candidate. Period. Not the best former Duke guy with ties to Coach K. Chris Beard's mentor is Bobby Knight, so I don't think it would be far-fetched for K to want him for at least an interview. K has liked Stevens, especially now that Jaysom Tatum is with the Celtics. I don't think Stevens is in a hurry to leave the NBA - so this would have to be several years down the road for Duke to even have a chance with Brad Stevens. Just don't think Hurley, Wojo, Capel, or any other Duke guy has had enough success to warrant much consideration.

Reactions: tw3301
K's grandson has four years of eligibility. So, unlikely he retires before 2024. Four or five years from now, I'm sure we'll have some hot new prospects that could be potential successors. While K is certainly going to have a say in the matter, he is not the athletic director. Kevin White isn't doing his job if he's also not looking at external candidates as well.

Outside of Calipari and Mick Cronin, Duke would be doubling just about anyone's salary. 99% of coaches would be interested in the job. Realistically, you want the best candidate. Period. Not the best former Duke guy with ties to Coach K. Chris Beard's mentor is Bobby Knight, so I don't think it would be far-fetched for K to want him for at least an interview. K has liked Stevens, especially now that Jaysom Tatum is with the Celtics. I don't think Stevens is in a hurry to leave the NBA - so this would have to be several years down the road for Duke to even have a chance with Brad Stevens. Just don't think Hurley, Wojo, Capel, or any other Duke guy has had enough success to warrant much consideration.
Brad Stevens + Duke would be a deadly combination.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...end-who-might-duke-turn-to-after-coach-k-era-

What if today's top college basketball programs had to replace a legendary coach? Where would they turn? Over the next few weeks, analyst Dan McDonald will take a look at who could be next in line for the nation's top programs when they need to replace legendary coaches. This week, a look at how Duke could try to replace Mike Krzyzewski.

THE LIST (in alphabetical order)
TOMMY AMAKER, Harvard

xravwq4riqcbtt5snlhg

You’ll notice a theme as we go through these candidates, and it’s a pretty obvious one. The next hire will most likely have ties to Duke and Coach K. Amaker played point guard for Duke at the beginning Coach K’s historic run, and he has become a terrific coach. He has experience coaching at a top public university and arguably the top private university, which translates well to Duke.

After a bumpy run at Michigan, where he took over a program dealing with NCAA issues, he’s put together an impressive 250-138 record in 13 seasons at Harvard, including four trips to the NCAA Tournament and back-to-back trips to the Round of 32. He’s recruited Rivals150 prospects to Harvard, which never happened prior to his arrival.

JEFF CAPEL, Pitt

h5n8kk3faocv9mwqv6by

Jeff Capel (AP Images)
Again, we have a former point guard from the early stages of Coach K’s run at Duke. Capel served two stints as an assistant coach at Duke and played a huge role in the recruitment of many of Duke’s top players in recent years, including

Zion Williamson

His first college head coaching job came 20 years ago at VCU when he was just 27 years old. He compiled a 79-41 overall record in four years and really kick-started the success VCU has experienced the past two decades. He then left for Oklahoma, where he recruited

Blake Griffin
and made a run to the Elite 8 in his third season. Turmoil hit the program and he was let go, and he returned as an assistant at Duke.

He’s in the process of building up a Pittsburgh program that needed a jolt and has the program headed in the right direction. Of all the candidates on this list, he’s the best bet to ensure the Blue Devils maintain the current level of recruiting.

CHRIS COLLINS, Northwestern

qatzmo5ozz9vu3qz3qhp

Chris Collins (AP Images)
Collins also played point guard under Coach K and spent 14 years on the bench as one of his assistants. He took over at Northwestern as the head coach in 2013 and has experienced moderate success in his seven seasons. The highlight came in 2017, when he helped Northwestern reach the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history.

It’s been tough sledding since, though, with three straight losing seasons. It’d probably be tough for Collins to be a real player for the job if it opens in the next year or so, but if it goes beyond that and he can get back to making the NCAA Tournament, he’ll have a shot.

BOBBY HURLEY, Arizona State

clgbewi6zk4bygo2m78k

Bobby Hurley (AP Images)
Hurley, like the other four coaches on this list, played point guard for Duke under Coach K. However, he’s the only coach on this list that didn’t serve as one of his assistants. That may or may not be a deal-breaker in the search, but he’s one of the most identifiable players in the school’s history.

After getting a late start in coaching, he quickly worked up the ladder to become Arizona State’s head coach after two years building up Buffalo into a MAC powerhouse and an NCAA Tournament team. He had two straight NCAA Tournament appearances in a row and was on track for a third before this season was cut short with the virus. Hurley has also proven to be a very aggressive and effective recruiter and has put the Sun Devils in the mix regularly with five-star prospects, which includes signing

Josh Christopher
this year.

STEVE WOJCIECHOWSKI, Marquette

x8sdso1bsvzmhvmnpowt

Steve Wojciechowski (AP Images)
“Wojo” always seems to come up as one of the top candidates to replace Coach K, and for good reason. He spent 16 years sitting next to Coach K on the bench at Duke. He’s six seasons into his tenure as head coach at Marquette with a 115-81 record at the Big East school, which includes two trips to the first round of the NCAA Tournament and he was on track for a third this year before the tournament was scrapped.

He’s recruited fairly well and regularly brings in Rivals150 prospects, but has only landed one five-star prospect:

Henry Ellenson
his first recruiting class. He did put together arguably his best class in 2020 with three four-star prospects and does have a roster now with
D.J. Carton
transferring in with immediate eligibility that could make a run the next couple years and put him right at the top of the list.

THE CHOICE
At this point, I’d go with Hurley as the next head coach at Duke. He’s recruited at the highest level as a head coach. He plays a fun style that will always attract the top guards in the country to play for him, and he’s proven he can win. I would imagine Duke fans would get really excited about the idea of their former star guard coming home to lead the program. Hurley would be a home run hire for the Blue Devils.
No one.

K will still be coaching Duke long after the asteroid has wiped out humanity.....

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
K will coach another 3-4 years so whoever the hot coaching candidate is then.

Ideally, they snatch up Chris Beard from Texas Tech.

Even if the next coaching hire is a fail, we"ll rebound and hire the next great college coach after just like UNC did with Roy and UK did with Coach Cal.

There just aren't any hot shot college coaching options out there besides Wright, Bennett and Beard.

Let the record show that Brad Stevens, standing top-right next to Tacko Fall, is wearing a Duke shirt.

Ec4m0jYXgAIA3_d

Reactions: tw3301
^I think Gordon Hayward purposefully positioned himself wear Duke couldn't be seen on his shirt. Well played, Gordon. Well played.

You also have to consider the immense pressure of following Coach K

Whoever does is going to be fired...
This is without question. Big name coaches may shy away from the job the first go around.

Job security is an important factor for many coaches.
The track record of following legends in college basketball is a lot of pressure and being fired.

You also have to consider the immense pressure of following Coach K

Whoever does is going to be fired...
This is without question. Big name coaches may shy away from the job the first go around.

Job security is an important factor for many coaches.
The track record of following legends in college basketball is a lot of pressure and being fired.

Guthridge followed Dean Smith and made it to two Final Fours in three years before retiring. Bill Self followed Roy Williams, and he has had quite a bit of success in Lawrence.

There are higher expectations at Duke, yes. But coaches also want to win. They want the highest stakes. Much easier to do so when you can bring in top 25 players every year. I doubt there are many coaches would balk at the opportunity to be the head coach at Duke.

Guthridge followed Dean Smith and made it to two Final Fours in three years before retiring. Bill Self followed Roy Williams, and he has had quite a bit of success in Lawrence.

There are higher expectations at Duke, yes. But coaches also want to win. They want the highest stakes. Much easier to do so when you can bring in top 25 players every year. I doubt there are many coaches would balk at the opportunity to be the head coach at Duke.

Joe B Hall would be a better choice or Gene Barlow.

Bill Guthridge was only there for a few years and UNC was looking for a replacement the entire time.
Dean Smith's actual replacement Matt Doherty didn't last too long.

Then comes Roy. Bill Self didn't exactly replace Roy Williams at Kansas. Williams left the job for another. Different situation.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT