ADVERTISEMENT

Remember that time a 16 seed beat a 1 seed?

It poses the question, would you be okay if your team was a number one that loses to a 16 if it would mean the championship the next year?

Most people on this board are not mentally tough enough to handle a loss to a 16 seed.

The joy of winning it all trumped the misery of losing to a 16 seed for me. I’m not sure the championship feels as good without that loss though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It poses the question, would you be okay if your team was a number one that loses to a 16 if it would mean the championship the next year?
Absolutely. Us Kansas fans can kind of relate since we had first round losses as a high seed in 2005 and 2006. Winning the title in 2008 completely erased any of that negativity we had towards Self for losing those games.

Most people on this board are not mentally tough enough to handle a loss to a 16 seed.

The joy of winning it all trumped the misery of losing to a 16 seed for me. I’m not sure the championship feels as good without that loss though.

It's just as great.

Just due to witnessing 4 titles in my life time.

But you've never witnessed one after a historic loss. So you can't really be certain that the joy you felt after winning championships equals the joy of winning one after losing to a 16 seed. Similarly, I don't know what winning a championship before a historic loss feels like so maybe they are the same but maybe not.

But you've never witnessed one after a historic loss. So you can't really be certain that the joy you felt after winning championships equals the joy of winning one after losing to a 16 seed. Similarly, I don't know what winning a championship before a historic loss feels like so maybe they are the same but maybe not.
Fair enough. I know what's like to rise from ashes (early pitino years), and also get back to the top of the game after two duds, (Smith, Gillispie). Granted neither of those are on the level of losing to a 16 seed.

With all that said, has their been a team that won a championship after going to an NIT? That's the only thing worse than losing to a shit NCAA Tournament team.

Reactions: jhmossy
I'd rather go to the NIT than get rolled by a 16 seed.

Going to the NIT isn't historically embarrassing. And 16 seeds are usually much worse than the average NIT team.

What about being constantly beat by under seeded teams? It's ok to get by a seed that's higher, but to constantly get beat by lower seeds?

That has to become tiring, and makes someone question the common denominator.

What about being constantly beat by under seeded teams? It's ok to get by a seed that's higher, but to constantly get beat by lower seeds?

I’d rather the season be 90% fun that ends in heartbreak than just flat out suck and end in the NIT.

I’ve said it before on this board but it’s harder to be a fan of KU than it is for any other program I can think of. They’re always a contender. Always. And then they always seem to get upset in the tournament. No other fans can relate to us in that way. Going from Cloud 9 to out of the tournament every season isn’t even something Indiana fans have to endure.

I’d rather the season be 90% fun that ends in heartbreak than just flat out suck and end in the NIT.

I’ve said it before on this board but it’s harder to be a fan of KU than it is for any other program I can think of. They’re always a contender. Always. And then they always seem to get upset in the tournament. No other fans can relate to us in that way. Going from Cloud 9 to out of the tournament every season isn’t even something Indiana fans have to endure.
I feel like I should apologize for 2012. :(

Seriously though, i can understand that line of thinking. You guys are blue blood on every category except post season success.

I'm not sure what's worse. being put out by UConn in the tournament multiple years or having less titles than them.

I feel like I should apologize for 2012. :(
Nah, 2012 ended just fine. That was one of the better teams of the decade they lost to and that KU team overachieved. I’m talking more about the times their opponent plays their peak game of the year. Bradley couldn’t stop hitting 3’s. VCU couldn’t stop hitting 3’s. Oregon, Villanova, Auburn. They hit everything they threw up. Those teams literally played their best they had all season for a long enough stretch than KU wasn’t able to overcome the deficit. Nobody else has had that bad of luck.

Nah, 2012 ended just fine. That was one of the better teams of the decade they lost to and that KU team overachieved. I’m talking more about the times their opponent plays their peak game of the year. Bradley couldn’t stop hitting 3’s. VCU couldn’t stop hitting 3’s. Oregon, Villanova, Auburn. They hit everything they threw up. Those teams literally played their best they had all season for a long enough stretch than KU wasn’t able to overcome the deficit. Nobody else has had that bad of luck.
Not to mention you guys have had a string of injuries and bs NCAA ...whats the word. where they hold guys out but later let them play.

Last year alone. Azubuike's injury derailed you whole season. Without that injury, you'd still be touting how long it's been since KU lost in Rupp.

Not to mention you guys have had a string of injuries and bs NCAA ...whats the word. where they hold guys out but later let them play.

Last year alone. Azubuike's injury derailed you whole season.
It’s all just part of the game, I guess. 5+ years ago those teams that lost seemed to come into the games playing pretty tight. I’m pretty sure Self has taken responsibility for that. I think he’s learned to adjust how he prepares them for those elimination games. The results have been a lot better since then and you can see it in how the team runs their game.

It’s all just part of the game, I guess. 5+ years ago those teams that lost seemed to come into the games playing pretty tight. I’m pretty sure Self has taken responsibility for that. I think he’s learned to adjust how he prepares them for those elimination games. The results have been a lot better since then and you can see it in how the team runs their game.
It's so cliche but the best we all can hope for is get great players and compete at a high level. KU seems to be due for some good luck.

It's so cliche but the best we all can hope for is get great players and compete at a high level. KU seems to be due for some good luck.
Yeah. They’re probably due for some luck in the tournament as long as they keep having top 5 teams.

But they’re way overdue for some regular season bad luck considering they’re averaging something like 29-30 wins a year since the 1980’s. We cried that this was the worst Kansas team this century and wrote it all off back in January but they were still a top 15 team that was a 4 seed. Lol. As you would say, #bluebloodproblems

When DePaul finally wins another national championship after a nearly 40 year free fall from national power to national joke it will trump all the euphoria you experienced from rebounding from ONE very disappointing game.

Reactions: jhmossy

Being a 1 seed year after year isn't tiring. It's bound to lead to disappointment in the tourney. You can pretty much only lose to lower seeded teams. I think 1-seeds only make the Final Four around 33% of the time. But, if you continue to earn good seeds in the tourney, you'll eventually break through.

ADVERTISEMENT