ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard

BasketBallJunkie-UK

Nov 18, 2011
I know home board stuff, but this is my home board....

I heard fans say there was a falling out between Cal and Jeff. For those that don't know Reed is the son of Jeff Sheppard and Stacy Reed. Both played basketball at Kentucky.
I heard Jeff discuss this a few months ago and he stated, there was absolutely nothing to this.

Seems its so.. Reed always wanted to play for UK, UK extended a scholly offer, and that family is estatic.

Sorry Louisville, I know you guys wanted him. Hasn't committed yet, but he will. The kid can play!

jeff literally said in a an interview he considered Cal the enemy and felt more welcomed at UofL than UK. i think this was a few years back when pitino was still at uofl. There was definitely something to it at some point. maybe they smoothed it over. Reed said he and his parents have been consistently talking to the staff over the last month or so.

I’d say it’s likely any grievances were resolved during those conversations.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
jeff literally said in a an interview he considered Cal the enemy and felt more welcomed at UofL than UK. i think this was a few years back when pitino was still at uofl. There was definitely something to it at some point. maybe they smoothed it over. Reed said he and his parents have been consistently talking to the staff over the last month or so.

I remember when all that happened. But both softened up. Pitino had a disdain for Cal. It was all good when he was at UMASS, but Pitino was so jealous of him taking over Kentucky.

Reactions: Montana81

Also could have been a ploy to get uk more involved in his recruitment. Talk up louisville, ypu know the fan base doesnt like losing legacies period, esp to rivals.

We know all about it when milts son went to memphis. As well as alan houston, but tenn not really a rival.

Reactions: Montana81
I remember when all that happened. But both softened up. Pitino had a disdain for Cal. It was all good when he was at UMASS, but Pitino was so jealous of him taking over Kentucky.
Oh they hated each other before that, when we were in the CUSA with memphis they hated each other then as well.

At one time they were good buddies lol. I forgot about the CUSA.. But still when he got the UK job, that messed with Pitino.
If you say so. I have a feeling pitino could have made one phone call and got hired over bcg if he was still in love with the UK job but maybe not idk. Maybe he burned that bridge by coaching us idk. I know bcg beat us in the tournwy but im not sure many if any have ever considered him a better coach than pitino, but idk, maybe uk ad did at the time. I know pitino has called uk camelot and stayed he never should have left many times, so idk if he had interest in the uk job after tubby or not. Im pretty sure he told his mentee billy D not to take ot for whatever reason but idk and dont frankly care. But im not so sure pitino would have given a shit about cal going to uk if cal hadnt beaten him like 8/10 at UK or whatever it was.

I jist dont understand why he would care if cal coached UK unless he wanted the UK job back, which i feel he could have had after tubby if he had wanted it, but i may be way off. Pitino is a dickhead so he mighta burned all his bridges in lex for as far as i know, but i still dont know why hed care if cal took the job or not. But i dont know either way, ego is a strange thing so im def not ruling it out.

Last edited:
If you say so. I have a feeling pitino could have made one phone call and got hired over bcg if he was still in love with the UK job but maybe not idk. Maybe he burned that bridge by coaching us idk. I know bcg beat us in the tournwy but im not sure many if any have ever considered him a better coach than pitino, but idk, maybe uk ad did at the time. I know pitino has called uk camelot and stayed he never should have left many times, so idk if he had interest in the uk job after tubby or not. Im pretty sure he told his mentee billy D not to take ot for whatever reason but idk and dont frankly care. But im not so sure pitino would have given a shit about cal going to uk if cal hadnt beaten him like 8/10 at UK or whatever it was.

I jist dont understand why he would care if cal coached UK unless he wanted the UK job back, which i feel he could have had after tubby if he had wanted it, but i may be way off. Pitino is a dickhead so he mighta burned all his bridges in lex for as far as i know, but i still dont know why hed care if cal took the job or not. But i dont know either way, ego is a strange thing so im def not ruling it out.

People don’t remember, it’s been a while and was overshadowed by his failure at UK and his career falling apart, but Gillispie was one of the rising stars in the coaching world when we hired him. Won conference CoY in 2005 and 2007 and had the biggest win loss turnarounds in the country in back to back years in his last season utep and first season at a&m.

Texas A&M hadn’t been relèvent in basketball in a long time before he took over.

Not saying it wasn’t a bad hire. obviously there were some things in his personal life that should have been red flags. but he had a lot of buzz as the next great thing when we hired him.

There was a actually a movement to get Pitino back. That was in Jan/Feb before Tubby resigned (cough cough). There were more that didn't want him back. I was one who didn't lol. Calipari and Pitino both were in the mix before BCG. Calipari much more than Pitino. Why BCG, I'll never figure out lol. Didn't seem like he was even vetted. Pitino's yearly flirting with the NBA pissed off a lot of people.

There was a website that had votes casted, Pitino or Tubby. Pitino's lead was huge. I hacked the site and cast about 5 million for Tubby lol. That time was precious amongst UK fans. We were really divided.

Pitino regretted leaving UK. He even said so while coaching at UofL. In hind sight, I'm glad they didn't rehire him. He never liked recruiting. Donovan was the recruiter on his staff who did an excellent job.

There was a actually a movement to get Pitino back. That was in Jan/Feb before Tubby resigned (cough cough). There were more that didn't want him back. I was one who didn't lol. Calipari and Pitino both were in the mix before BCG. Calipari much more than Pitino. Why BCG, I'll never figure out lol. Didn't seem like he was even vetted. Pitino's yearly flirting with the NBA pissed off a lot of people.

There was a website that had votes casted, Pitino or Tubby. Pitino's lead was huge. I hacked the site and cast about 5 million for Tubby lol. That time was precious amongst UK fans. We were really divided.

Pitino regretted leaving UK. He even said so while coaching at UofL. In hind sight, I'm glad they didn't rehire him. He never liked recruiting. Donovan was the recruiter on his staff who did an excellent job.

I acknowleded all of that, calling UK camelot etc, but im still not sold he wanted the UK job back, or why not go for it after tubby. Or Have his agent get his name in the mix or guage interest or anything like that.

Maybe yall preferred BCG i have no clue. I know at the time Cal was too “dirty” for uk fans/admin then a couple shit show seasons from bcg later, and it was saint cal to the rescue lol.

plus its common knowledge pitino advised donovan NOT to take the UK job, so im not sure why he would care if UK had hired Cal or john doe, unless he indeed wanted the job back.

Is he good or just a legacy type guy?

He's good. Is he a typical "Cal" guy... Probably not since he is a good shooter. Still has 2 years to develop. Obviously everyone knows his dad, but his mom was also a great UK player. One of those basketball is definitely in his blood types.

I already feel sorry for the kid if he does come to UK. The legacy his parents have and him being "from the mountains"(ps- i don't consider Laurel co the mountains) there is going to be constant complaints if he isn't starting day one , complaints when he isn't playing, etc... From the fan base.

I acknowleded all of that, calling UK camelot etc, but im still not sold he wanted the UK job back, or why not go for it after tubby. Or Have his agent get his name in the mix or guage interest or anything like that.

Maybe yall preferred BCG i have no clue. I know at the time Cal was too “dirty” for uk fans/admin then a couple shit show seasons from bcg later, and it was saint cal to the rescue lol.

plus its common knowledge pitino advised donovan NOT to take the UK job, so im not sure why he would care if UK had hired Cal or john doe, unless he indeed wanted the job back.
Its doesn't matter whether you're sold or not, he did put out feelers. When he left, there was plenty of animosity regarding him. He was never going to be rehired. Pitino was selfish and he just turned into a mess. Of course he didn't want Donovan at UK lol. And of course it could be that Donovan had aspirations of the pros. So Pitino had been there done that. Probably a bit of both. You can't tell me the guy was rational while at UofL. He hated and was scared to play us. It showed every year and your fanbase even acknowledged it.

Ok i had no idea about any feelers or anything. I was in college and barely coherent half the time back then.

He def didnt do a good job against Cal and UK, im not so sure thats bc he was scared or hated to play UK as much as UK had the more talented team every year, except 2013.

And the fans gripe was pitino downplaying the UK game as it was jist another game and not as important as conference games, which is a garbage position to take if your pitino, esp being on the other side he damn well knows the uk-ul game is bigger than either conference game we play, most of the time anyways.

But pitino def couldnt beat UK with any kind of consistency so maybe he was scared to play UK, but i highly doubt hof coaches get scared of playing anyone in basketball even if they are likely to lose.

His ego...
So was he jealous when BCG got the job, as well? Pitino left Kentucky. And lets be honest, he would have been welcomed back, without hesitation, on the spot. Not sure why he'd be jealous of any coach...Dudes in the HOF...Won 2 titles, at two different schools. Has taken 3 different schools to the FF.

I mean to be jealous, you need to want what someone has....So are you implying Rick wanted the job? And therefore was mad/jealous that instead UK hired Calipari?

Reactions: Villian07
Won 2 titles, at two different schools.
giphy-2.gif

• Love
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Sure there is it just has a fancy little star next to it, you know like everything cal ever accomplished before getting to uk.

So was he jealous when BCG got the job, as well? Pitino left Kentucky. And lets be honest, he would have been welcomed back, without hesitation, on the spot. Not sure why he'd be jealous of any coach...Dudes in the HOF...Won 2 titles, at two different schools. Has taken 3 different schools to the FF.

I mean to be jealous, you need to want what someone has....So are you implying Rick wanted the job? And therefore was mad/jealous that instead UK hired Calipari?
Thank you. I thought i was the only one Who found this logic very flawed.

Cal to UK messed Pitino up so bad he won a title 4 years later lol.

You didn't know the state of BBN with Pitino's flirtation with the NBA. That soured a lot of fans. Pitino may have been welcomed back overtime, but he certainly wouldn't have from the beginning. I've never seen BBN so decisively split. It was pretty ugly. You know how passionate BBN is. He may have been hired back, as far as the word I received, he wouldn't. My sources were really good back then. You had fans that donated a lot of money to the program that did not want him back. He did reach out to UK. It didn't go any further than that as far as I know.

Maybe jealously was the wrong word. But you know it had to nag at him with his ego. He always thought he was bigger than the program. Look at his results at UoL and where it eventually landed him. What were his motivations? You don't think the success the blue team about 70 miles east were having didn't mess with his ego? I certainly believe the Kentucky effect got to him in some capacity.

Last edited:
Not good obv, which is why our fans didnt like the just another game mantra than pitino spewed. Its bigger than that for both programs and it seemed everyone acted like it EXCEPT PITINO. At the same time it wasnt like yall were upsetting us, yall had the better teams every year but last year and 2013.

You need to take a look at the ncaa official records then. Still says louisville, sorry u dislike that. Just like memphis was runner up and umass made the final four. Cant play borh sides of the fence like before we got hit vacancies were nothing, now they are the end all be all. Think what u want idc i wayched the game, and u did too, praying we would lose. Sorry we didnt.

Reed is top 40 right now. I think that’s pretty accurate. somewhere between a borderline 5* to top 50 area.

He could be a great college player if he and his parents are patient. Not as athletic as his dad. not many were. But probably has more all around ability at the same age.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Not surprised to see another a thread by a UK fan saying a player is lock to commit.

Might want to look again on who said "lock".

If Cal wanted him be would he would.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT