ADVERTISEMENT

Rebuilding Kentucky Basketball

UK's recruiting is fine, problem is that they lack veteran leadership. Its okay to have 3 freshmen starters, but its not okay if you dont have at least 1-2 juniors/seniors who can make serious contributions to the team when the younger kids are crumbling under pressure.

UK's recruiting is fine, problem is that they lack veteran leadership. Its okay to have 3 freshmen starters, but its not okay if you dont have at least 1-2 juniors/seniors who can make serious contributions to the team when the younger kids are crumbling under pressure.
This year's team was the oldest Calipari has ever had and started: 1 freshman, 3 juniors, and 1 super senior. First 2 off the bench were another super senior and a junior. That's it. They went 7 deep and 6 were upperclassmen. Nobody else played more than 5 minutes a game.

I fully recognize this is likely homeboard material, but UK has made itself a national story over the weekend, so here we are.

This is a pleasant start.
Collins definitely needed to return, he just needs time. The problem I see between Hopkins and Brooks. Brooks may choose to leave and if that happens, Hopkins may stay because that's one less player in front of him. The problem with that is, Brooks is better than Hopkins. If I'm a Kentucky fan, which I'm not, I would rather have Brooks than Hopkins.

Then you'll swap CJ Frederick for Grady and then have to sweat it out to see what Oscar does.

This year's team was the oldest Calipari has ever had and started: 1 freshman, 3 juniors, and 1 super senior. First 2 off the bench were another super senior and a junior. That's it. They went 7 deep and 6 were upperclassmen. Nobody else played more than 5 minutes a game.
Cal: "We were too old this time. I need more middle aged players."

🤣

Cal's radio show tonight could be very interesting. I want to see some flexibility from him about defense. I don't give a royal shit about what Defense is played in the friggin' NBA. He needs to know that there are other defensive strategies that can be used in the college games, ones where defensive weaknesses don't get exploited over and over again.

• Love
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Problem was they were transfers and not veterans built within your program.

Brooks has been there for 3 years, Mintz for 2, Toppin for 2, and Tshiebwe since the middle of last season.
When was Kentucky’s last legit 3 or 4 year player? A guy what was a regular rotation guy for 3 or 4 seasons? Basically when is your Darius Miller type? He was the most important player on your 2012 title team and you hadn’t had that presence since. Even on your stacked 2015 team

When was Kentucky’s last legit 3 or 4 year player? A guy what was a regular rotation guy for 3 or 4 seasons? Basically when is your Darius Miller type? He was the most important player on your 2012 title team and you hadn’t had that presence since. Even on your stacked 2015 team
3 year players at UK? Haha... Keion is a unicorn. Either kids go pro after a year or two or they can't handle a little competition and bolt for the transfer portal if they don't get their way after 10 games.

3 year players at UK? Haha... Keion is a unicorn. Either kids go pro after a year or two or they can't handle a little competition and bolt for the transfer portal if they don't get their way after 10 games.
Have you seen the teams winning in this tourney? Miami last tonight had 3 guys 22 years old and up. 2 23 years olds. Michigan has a 24 year old playing.

Have you seen the teams winning in this tourney? Miami last tonight had 3 guys 22 years old and up. 2 23 years olds. Michigan has a 24 year old playing.
And most of them are transfers and/or taking advantage of 5th year eligibility (some are redshirts in their 6th season) That won't be happening in 2 years.

FOYoHaIWQAANMHw

I’d take their two over ours any day. How do these kids get overlooked during recruiting!?
They aren’t aau warriors or apart of some elite travel team that cal has connection to. Cal also needs to start signing better basketball players than just 5 star athletes. I will take a skilled player in the college game over a raw athlete every day. Cal recruits like Nba teams draft. All about potential for the future. The nana teams appreciate cals efforts though

There will be transfers to UK but what about this

Damion Collins
Bryce Hopkins
Chris Livingston
Shaedon Sharpe
Cason Wallace

Not bad.

There will be transfers to UK but what about this

Damion Collins
Bryce Hopkins
Chris Livingston
Shaedon Sharpe
Cason Wallace

Not bad.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hopkins transfer. I sure hope not. He went off on LSU.

Yea i was gonna say id have alot more faith in O being back than sharpe, but i doubt anyone knows for sure yet. Maybe the kids themselves.

Yea i was gonna say id have alot more faith in O being back than sharpe, but i doubt anyone knows for sure yet. Maybe the kids themselves.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hopkins go to U of L. I think he originally liked them.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hopkins go to U of L. I think he originally liked them.
Idk i know we are in definite need of a talent infusion and would welcome him with open arms. He was committed here to play for mack for a while.

Im not so sure brooks will be that much better than hopkins by next year but who knows brooks might blow up like richards or pj washignton did later in their careers.

This valuing of older players over younger players has gone over the top. I agree that having talented and experienced guards in the NCAAT makes a huge difference but ultimately you want the most talented roster possible.

UK's had way more success this past decade over the 2000s by simply having the highest ranked or 2nd highest ranked recruiting class.

What happened in the 1990s with NBA talent staying all 4 years isn't coming back.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
This valuing of older players over younger players has gone over the top. I agree that having talented and experienced guards in the NCAAT makes a huge difference but ultimately you want the most talented roster possible.

UK's had way more success this past decade over the 2000s by simply having the highest ranked or 2nd highest ranked recruiting class.

What happened in the 1990s with NBA talent staying all 4 years isn't coming back.
Exactly. It was always, "you can never win it all with freshman." UK starts 3 freshman (and 2 sophomores), wins a natty. Duke does the same 3 years later starting 3 freshman, a sophomore, and a senior. Then suddenly it becomes, "yeah, but those teams weren't ALL freshman.... upperclassmen played integral rolls." UK had 1 upperclassman that played a key role on that team, Darius Miller, that was it. How often do you even see a team of 5 starting freshman? The only team I can think of that ever did it was the Fab 5 and since they didn't win it all it means it can't happen. 😆 How many teams have won a national championships starting ALL seniors? The sample size is miniscule.

Reactions: Villian07
ADVERTISEMENT