9. Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Minnesota
12. Nebraska
13. Iowa
14. Northwestern

Bolded - NCAA Tournament Teams

Reactions: Molon Labe
Will Rutgers get this done? They have all of the makings of that Northwestern feel good story from a few years ago.

They need Baker back if they’re going to hold serve

2-0 without him. In my lifetime, Rutgers losing their top player would result in them going from a typical 10-12 win bad team to a team that can’t beat low majors at home. This year they go and blow out a conference opponent on the road and beat a ranked opponent at home. Something is happening in Piscataway, a new program is emerging.

1. Michigan State
2. Maryland
3. Rutgers
4. Penn State
5. Michigan
6. Ohio State

7. Wisconsin
8. Hoosiers
9. Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Minnesota
12. Nebraska
13. Iowa
14. Northwestern

Bolded - NCAA Tournament Teams
Illinois, right now, is better than Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio St. I think they'll be a tournament team. Ohio St is in trouble. At Indiana, Saturday. Lose, and they are suddenly 1-4 in the Big 10.

right now its a tie between Iowa and NW for 14th, until after the MD game where maybe the home court advantage continues in BT play.

big if, Wieskamp can't go 1-10 from 3 again, Toussaint needs to keep reducing his TO's, Evelyn needs to play like he did vs Cincinnati.

Kriener is now 100% and needs to play like the SR he is, does not need to be a dbl dbl player, just a solid 10-5 player @ 6'10. he is shooting 37.5% from 3 while avg'ing 7.5 ppg and 4.3 rpg with 7 blocks in 16.5 mpg. as his mpg increases I am hoping his numbers improve as well.

Their coach is the real deal. Called this a couple years ago

I believe we actually had this debate a few years ago, if it was you, hats off for calling it. I didn’t think Rutgers could save it’s hoops program.

It was. It’s very impressive what he’s done in a few years
if your school is located in a prime area for any sport the right coach can turn a BB program around in a few years as there are only 13 scholarship players and no annual limit on how many players you can bring in

a new coach can bring in a couple JUCO's, 4-5 FR and now with the transfers like they are a couple GT's and a couple transfers that have to sit out to spread the classes out.

recruiting starts at home before you can really get the out of state players to join the team.

Spartans easy schedule part is now over. 4 home wins and only 1 road game so far...a win over NW. Real season starts for us on Sunday in West Lafayette. Hopefully that double OT loss to Mythigan last night wore the Spoilermakers out.

#8 Maryland
#10 Michigan St
#16 Ohio St
#21 Penn St
#22 Michigan
#25 Rutgers
#34 Indiana
#38 Iowa
#40 Illinois
#45 Wisconsin

#51 Minnesota
#64 Purdue
#137 Nebraska
#158 Northwestern

if your school is located in a prime area for any sport the right coach can turn a BB program around in a few years as there are only 13 scholarship players and no annual limit on how many players you can bring in

a new coach can bring in a couple JUCO's, 4-5 FR and now with the transfers like they are a couple GT's and a couple transfers that have to sit out to spread the classes out.

recruiting starts at home before you can really get the out of state players to join the team.

I don’t think it was that simple, it took 3 years of sub .500 seasons to get here

I don’t think it was that simple, it took 3 years of sub .500 seasons to get here
it still takes time to get your players into your program, and have the players you inherited either buy in, leave on their own or graduate,

by year 3 or 4 they are close to being all yours. like I said there are only 13 scholarship on a BB team vs 85 players on a FB team. where you have more misses than hits. in FB if you bring in 25 and have 12 that pan out its harder to do.

in Basketball you as a rule might bring in 5 you can miss on 2 maybe 3 or in a smaller class you miss on just 1 or maybe 0 you are sitting pretty good by year 4, this is where the JUCO's can and do help fill in the holes, the only bad thing with JUCO's you need to hope you get some solid HS players to reduce the need to keep bringing the JUCO's.

Only 2 of Rutgers scholarship players are from NJ. Pike recruited nationally and intrtnationally the first few years finding under the rader kids to coach up.

it still takes time to get your players into your program, and have the players you inherited either buy in, leave on their own or graduate,

by year 3 or 4 they are close to being all yours. like I said there are only 13 scholarship on a BB team vs 85 players on a FB team. where you have more misses than hits. in FB if you bring in 25 and have 12 that pan out its harder to do.

in Basketball you as a rule might bring in 5 you can miss on 2 maybe 3 or in a smaller class you miss on just 1 or maybe 0 you are sitting pretty good by year 4, this is where the JUCO's can and do help fill in the holes, the only bad thing with JUCO's you need to hope you get some solid HS players to reduce the need to keep bringing the JUCO's.

They have tried the “hire a guy, give him 4 years” formula for about 30 years and maybe sniffed the NCAA bubble once or twice in that span. RU is a totally different challenge that few up and comers can handle, but it appears they found their guy after a loooong trial and error process.

Reactions: RUissy
in Fran's case when he took over that place was a toxic waste site. having only 3 winning BT Seasons with just 1 NCAAT win in 11 seasons.
he did not run players off so he used what he inherited until they graduated,
his 1st class he brought 1 player with him, recruited a JUCO PG and kept 2 that had already committed. 1 a legacy recruit the 2nd a Iowa kid. that season his team went 4-14 in BT play 7th in the BT and 11-20 overall.
in year 2 he brought in 3 players and year 2 his team went 8-10 T-6th and 18-17 overall. that class had just 1 4* top 100 player by ESPN and he went to Wisconsin.
in his 3rd class he brought in 5 and landed the 2nd top 100 4* player in the state who chose Iowa over UNC the other 4* player did choose UNC.
in his 4th class he landed 1 3* from Iowa
in his 5th class he landed 3 players 1 was a 2nd Team JUCO AA who didn't even last the whole season. nobody from Iowa.
6th year 6 players with nobody from Iowa and 1 JUCO Player who was sidelined with a ACL tear in his 1st then another ACL tear in his 2nd none of which lasted/stayed the 4 years.
7th year 5 players 3 from Iowa one of which was a ESPN 4*
8th year 3 players 1 a ESPN top 100 4* from Iowa
9th year 2 players 1 a ESPN top 100 4* from Iowa, that year class had a 2nd 4* whose father worked for UNI and ended up going there
10th year 2 1 being a ESPN top 100 4* who is now RS'ing.

this is what Fran had for recruiting in the state of Iowa since he took over, very few 4* players till 3 years ago, now he is keeping the top rated players home.
in his 11th class the 4* top ESPN 100 player chose Iowa State.

this also what he has recruiting against him as well as UNI and Drake from the MVC.

recruiting starts at home then you get kids from out of state to start looking at your program,

Easiest bet of the night is Maryland to cover the -2 they are favored by.
Gonna be a shit show tonight.

Only 2 of Rutgers scholarship players are from NJ. Pike recruited nationally and intrtnationally the first few years finding under the rader kids to coach up.
Fran has brougt in 2 and now 3 Euro players. his top rated out of state recruits are these
Cook now on a 10 day contract in the NBA
Garza out of DC who is the only player to avg 20+ ppg and 10+ rebounds pg, when Fran 1st took over a player like Garza would never gave Iowa even a sniff same with Cook. it took Fran 6 years to get into position to get these player to look at a then commit to Iowa. even keeping the top instate players didn't even look at Iowa.

Iowa lost out on their top player in Barnes who went to UNC this was before Fran was hired, Uthoff a 4* top 100 player by ESPN left for Wisconsin and then after his RSFR year flipped back to Iowa.

NJ still has more talent and they are bordered by some states that are loaded with talent,

Iowa as Illinois which has most of the BT Schools recruiting that area the states of Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska does not produce that much talent.

it might not be that easy as tonights starting lineup by ESPN ratings
Grade 80 4* PG Toussaint 3* by Rivals
Top 100 4* SG Connor 4* by Rival
Top 100 4* WG Wieskamp #42 4* by Rivals
3* by both Kriener
Top 100 4* C Garza 4* by Rivals.

that makes 3 top 100 4*'s by ESPN and 1 4* outside their top 100
3 4*'s by Rivals with one a top 50 recruit.

it is a much better team on paper than people like you refuse to give credit for.
this does not include 4* Jordan and Top 100 4* by ESPN and Rivals Patrick
who are both out for the season with a illness and injury

I honestly can’t see IU winning Saturday given how we’ve been playing.

You obviously haven’t seen us shoot the basketball the last month. At one point we were 17% from 3 and 27% FG against Maryland.

I’d give Indiana a solid 90% at home.

Well u were only off by 20 or so.

Seriously big 10 guys does any one have the record against the spread for big ten home teams in conference games. (Well despite nw they suck) but as a casual gambler it seems every single big 10 team holds serve at home even against “superior” opponents, and then goes out on the road and gets rolled by “inferior” opponents.

Reactions: PilotBuckeye
You obviously haven’t seen us shoot the basketball the last month. At one point we were 17% from 3 and 27% FG against Maryland.

I’d give Indiana a solid 90% at home.
No way. You guys will undoubtedly shoot over 40% on 20+ 3pt attempts today. I took OSU -1.5. Easy money.

I thought he was playing? I see him warming up.

I should have bet on this game. I knew we would lose by 10+

Extremely displeased with this team after the start and high ranking. It’s like everyone lost the ability to shoot dibble and think over night. Gotsdamit! :/

Reactions: SNU0821
The top of the Big Ten looks weak as hell. None of those teams are contenders this year.

Sparty getting bitch slapped by a bad Purdue team. Michigan and Ohio State falling apart. Maryland is Maryland.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT