ADVERTISEMENT

Rank your past coaches.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
1. Rupp
2. Calipari, he's not only put UK "back on the map", but changed college basketball as we know it
3. Pitino , brought up from the depths to a mini dynasty.
4. Hall, Followed #1 all time coach at the time and still raised banners inc. a NC banner
5. Smith, Didn't mess up Pitino's players and did a masterful coaching job with his '98 Comeback Cats.
6 and 7 are tough. Gillispie didn't leave a stain, but just a huge skid mark. Sutton, complete shit his pants with the pentialites.

Rank your coaches.

Just in terms of coaching ability, I’d go

Larry Brown
Self
Roy
Phog Allen
William Hamilton
Ted Owens
Dick Harp
Naismith

You’d think Naismith would have done a better job coaching the game he created.

Being good at creating a game is very different than being good at a game:)

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Being good at creating a game is very different than being good at a game:)
How would you rank Duke's coaches? Who's #2. UK fans know you reached the title game in '78 and FF in '66.

Don't tell me, Duke fans aren't familiar with their history and didn't just start with Coach K.

google "Duke coaches prior to Coach K" and come back with a ranking. You went to Duke right, camped out and all that?

Reactions: AWilli6995
How would you rank Duke's coaches? Who's #2. UK fans know you reached the title game in '78 and FF in '66.

Don't tell me, Duke fans aren't familiar with their history and didn't just start with Coach K.

google "Duke coaches prior to Coach K" and come back with a ranking. You went to Duke right, camped out and all that?

Who is #2? Why not start with who is #1...? Oh.

I never saw a coach other than K, I wasn’t even born when Bubas was coaching, so my opinion isn’t worth much, same as Kentucky fans ranking coaches they’ve never seen... it’s just blowing smoke out ones ass to try to sound knowledgable.

I will say this... K is better than any coach UK has ever had.

Rupp
Pitino
Cal
Hall
Smith
Gillespie
Sutton

5 coaches with a title. Throughout basically every era of college ball. Nice.

You'd be surprised.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I never saw a coach other than K, I wasn’t even born when Bubas was coaching, so my opinion isn’t worth much, same as Kentucky fans ranking coaches they’ve never seen... it’s just blowing smoke out ones ass to try to sound knowledgable.

So you can’t use stats, records, old tape, and primary source material to come to a conclusion about something before you were alive?

How do historians talk about anything?

Rupp
Cal
Pitino
Hall
Tubby
Sutton
BCG

Number two is basically a toss up between Cal and Pitino. They both have their strengths and flaws.

So you can’t use stats, records, old tape, and primary source material to come to a conclusion about something before you were alive?

How do historians talk about anything?

I'm not really going to contribute much in a three minute google-fueled post on this forum. I mean, I can google the win percentages of the coaches, but anyone can do that, and I don't know much about the context. Sooo... the NCAA tournament was much different. So... that matters? Historians spend years and years examining this stuff, and a Duke basketball historian could contribute something meaningful. Me researching this over three minutes about some coaches I've never seen and I don't know much about isn't going to create some interesting post that people want to read.

I'm not really going to contribute much in a three minute google-fueled post on this forum. I mean, I can google the win percentages of the coaches, but anyone can do that, and I don't know much about the context. Sooo... the NCAA tournament was much different. So... that matters? Historians spend years and years examining this stuff, and a Duke basketball historian could contribute something meaningful. Me researching this over three minutes about some coaches I've never seen and I don't know much about isn't going to create some interesting post that people want to read.

Lol. Man, you seem like you’re fun at parties. I’ll read anything right now with no sports on. But I also think you underestimate the amount of hours folks who post on here have spent on past research. I’ve read volumes and volumes of primary source material for FSU hoops over the decades and watched a lot of old video.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Lol. Man, you seem like you’re fun at parties. I’ll read anything right now with no sports on. But I also think you underestimate the amount of hours folks who post on here have spent on past research. I’ve read volumes and volumes of primary source material for FSU hoops over the decades and watched a lot of old video.
He doesn't drink because he can't handle his alcohol. He really isn't fun at all.

You just described a bandwagon fan.

Just in terms of coaching ability, I’d go

Larry Brown
Self
Roy
Phog Allen
William Hamilton
Ted Owens
Dick Harp
Naismith

You’d think Naismith would have done a better job coaching the game he created.

brown was a cool cat and a fantastic coach but he should probably not be around a modern college basketball program

Self (did not think it was possible for anyone to be a better regular season coach than Williams, but here we are...of course IF he gets a show cause penalty, will have to knock him but dude has maintained a level that no one has matched at high major basketball, excepting Wooden...yes the lack of NC's is pesky though))
Phog (basically created college basketball coaching and pushed the game to what it became)
Roy (maybe the best system coach of all time? as long as he is at a blue blood, don't mind that he does not gameplan and refuses to call a time out)
Larry Brown (incredible coach, that ncaa rulebook is too damn thick for him to be bothered with though)
William Hamilton (taking your word for it really)
Harp
Owens
I know he had a lot of sccuess but at the end the program had really faltered and it needed someone like Brown to revitalize...I can remember that, Harp & Hamilton are before my time and really I have not feeling about them
Dr. James Naismith met his son at the final four and stayed in touch with him for several years.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
You just described a bandwagon fan.

In my opinion, a bandwagon fan is more like a person who cheers for a school they didn't even attend than a person who isn't super old and isn't talking out of their ass about something they didn't witness.

FFS, there are people on here judging James Naismith's coaching ability. Naismith last coached in 1907.

Man, such a strange world we live in, where Lurker tries to throw some shit about Duke fans not knowing their history, and I say "My opinion isn't worth much when it comes to judging coaches I never saw coach," and STILL people get upset at that.

Maybe instead we can just go with "Oh, TheDude knows that there is a lot he doesn't know here, so he isn't going to waste anyones time with an opinion based on no real experience. Let's wait until an older Duke fan comes in who saw Bubas or Foster or any of those guys coach."

Last edited:
I would go with this for Duke:

1. Coach K
2. Vic Bubas
3. Eddie Cameron
4. Bill Foster
5. Harold Bradley
6. Gerry Gerard
7. Bucky Waters

Roy (maybe the best system coach of all time? as long as he is at a blue blood, don't mind that he does not gameplan and refuses to call a time out)

I was watching the Syracuse/Kansas '03 title game recently, and I was shocked to see Roy actually took a timeout within the first 10 minutes of the game. The timeout was certainly warranted, as Cuse was up by 15 or so. Just very surprised to see Roy follow through like that.

Reactions: GE Nole
In my opinion, a bandwagon fan is more like a person who cheers for a school they didn't even attend than a person who isn't super old and isn't talking out of their ass about something they didn't witness.

FFS, there are people on here judging James Naismith's coaching ability. Naismith last coached in 1907.

I know a lot of young duke fans that didn't go there. I also know a lot of duke fans (young and old) that are from NC that didn't go there.

Well, James Naismith did once say to Phog Allen when he told him he wanted to make a career out of coaching the sport, “You don’t coach basketball Phog, you play it”.

The fact that Naismith had the only losing record and was pretty adamant that basketball was just “an activity” means he probably should be last for Kansas. It makes it easier since there’s only been 8 coaches in school history and 6 of them have Final Fours and winning records on their resumes.

I know a lot of young duke fans that didn't go there. I also know a lot of duke fans (young and old) that are from NC that didn't go there.

Dude, Lurk is trying to throw bullshit at me, some nonsense that someone saying "Sorry, I didn't see many Duke games in the 60s and 70s and early 80s so my opinion isn't worth much" is a bandwagon fan, when I don't think that dude even went to Kentucky. Come on now, that's horseshit. People can be fans of whatever they want, but when I look at these two options...

A) person who went to a school and played a sport at a school and who admits they don't know enough about the school from 50 and 60 and 70 years ago to form some list of coaches

and

B) some random person who didn't even go to their school BSing about how a coach from 1920 wasn't as good a coach as a guy from 1965

... and pick out which is more likely the bandwagoner... well, it's pretty obvious to me.

Dude, Lurk is trying to throw bullshit at me, some nonsense that someone saying "Sorry, I didn't see many Duke games in the 60s and 70s and early 80s so my opinion isn't worth much" is a bandwagon fan, when I don't think that dude even went to Kentucky. Come on now, that's horseshit. People can be fans of whatever they want, but when I look at these two options...

A) person who went to a school and played a sport at a school and who admits they don't know enough about the school from 50 and 60 and 70 years ago to form some list of coaches

and

B) some random person who didn't even go to their school BSing about how a coach from 1920 wasn't as good a coach as a guy from 1965

... and pick out which is more likely the bandwagoner... well, it's pretty obvious to me.

Aren't bandwagon fans the ones who don't show loyalty to a team or school? Once the team starts losing, they don't watch the games as closely - or they follow another team altogether? I don't think either of one of these cases fits the profile of a bandwagon fan.

Aren't bandwagon fans the ones who don't show loyalty to a team or school? Once the team starts losing, they don't watch the games as closely - or they follow another team altogether? I don't think either of one of these cases fits the profile of a bandwagon fan.

That is traditionally the meaning. Lurker was just trying to stir shit up.

and

I was a UNC fan when NC didn't have any pro teams and NC State was better that duke. IMO people close to my age from KY and NC fall into the same category so that crap a true fan has to attend that school is BS. Also I was a big Raider fan, knew all the players, stats etc till the Panthers were born, when that happened I kicked them to the curb quickly, why? Because home state got awarded a NFL team.

For Kentucky here is my list:

Rupp
Hall
Cal
Pitino
Smith
Sutton

Gillespie never coached UK. He attacked his player who had signed with UK.

Rupp set the bar high. He invented fast break basketball which is still the best, in my opinion.

Hall was the only assistant coach to change the game as an assistant. Without Hall Kentucky would never have been to the final four in 1966 because Rupp was on his last leg. He basically is the only assistant to follow a legend that actually did a good job and kept his program competitive at the highest level. He installed the 1-3-1 defense to supplement UK’s man to man and for years teams did not know what to do with it.

Cal is the only coach, since Hall, that loves the school and its tradition. Sutton, Pitino and Smith were simply the coaches at Kentucky. They could care less about Kentucky, the program. Hell, read Pitino's book and understand his total disdain for the State of Kentucky and its people. Smith had a new job months before he told UK about it, so he did not give a shit about Kentucky, it was just a job. Sutton's best friend was a bottle of whiskey and he dived right smack into it while he was a Kentucky. He got UK on probation, so fvck Sutton.

That is my view on Kentucky coaches. I had the pleasure to meet Rupp, Hall, Pitino and Smith. All were very smart and had a commanding presence, but Hall was the best man of them all. He ended up being my friend.

For Kentucky here is my list:

Rupp
Hall
Cal
Pitino
Smith
Sutton

Gillespie never coached UK. He attacked his player who had signed with UK.

Rupp set the bar high. He invented fast break basketball which is still the best, in my opinion.

Hall was the only assistant coach to change the game as an assistant. Without Hall Kentucky would never have been to the final four in 1966 because Rupp was on his last leg. He basically is the only assistant to follow a legend that actually did a good job and kept his program competitive at the highest level. He installed the 1-3-1 defense to supplement UK’s man to man and for years teams did not know what to do with it.

Cal is the only coach, since Hall, that loves the school and its tradition. Sutton, Pitino and Smith were simply the coaches at Kentucky. They could care less about Kentucky, the program. Hell, read Pitino's book and understand his total disdain for the State of Kentucky and its people. Smith had a new job months before he told UK about it, so he did not give a shit about Kentucky, it was just a job. Sutton's best friend was a bottle of whiskey and he dived right smack into it while he was a Kentucky. He got UK on probation, so fvck Sutton.

That is my view on Kentucky coaches. I had the pleasure to meet Rupp, Hall, Pitino and Smith. All were very smart and had a commanding presence, but Hall was the best man of them all. He ended up being my friend.

See, THIS guy has seen all of them coach.

geez, 4-7 must be serious shit shows.

Kennedy was a good coach in the late 80s. He became a drunk and we cut bait with him only a couple years removed from an Elite 8 appearance, but I have to give credit where it’s due his first 4-5 years.

Loucks was our first coach and he only coached one year. So it’s pretty hard to really judge or compare him. Joe Williams, like PK, had a few good years and a few real bad ones. He was just here less time than PK.

There’s a really large gap between Hamilton and Durham and the rest.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Harry Combes
Lou Henson
Bill Self
Bruce Weber
Lon Kruger
Brad Underwood
John Groce
Harv Schmidt
Gene Bartow

Man, such a strange world we live in, where Lurker tries to throw some shit about Duke fans not knowing their history, and I say "My opinion isn't worth much when it comes to judging coaches I never saw coach," and STILL people get upset at that.

Maybe instead we can just go with "Oh, TheDude knows that there is a lot he doesn't know here, so he isn't going to waste anyones time with an opinion based on no real experience. Let's wait until an older Duke fan comes in who saw Bubas or Foster or any of those guys coach."
Can you stop being a victim for one post, whether it's sports, politics, or 2k.

You're an egotistical homer who talks out of his ass more than both sides of your mouth.

Can you stop being a victim for one post, whether it's sports, politics, or 2k.

You're an egotistical homer who talks out of his ass more than both sides of your mouth.

o_O

Wait.

Our first interaction in this thread was you taking some boring, been-done shot at Duke fans while trying to talk up UK fans, and then telling me to go google and come up with a list. I said that I didn't think my list would be that worthwhile, because I hadn't seen anyone really coach much before K, and then took a pretty harmless shot saying K is better than any coach UK has ever had, and then you... called me a bandwagon fan?

But I am an egotistical victim whose big ego moment was saying I don't know enough to come up with a worthwhile ranking and who is being a victim by saying GF over trying to paint me as a bandwagon fan, and who is talking out of his ass by... admitting I don't know enough about coaches from the 30s and 60s to pass judgment? So, like... the opposite of being egotistical, the opposite of being a victim, and the opposite of talking out of my ass?

giphy.gif

(And that's not even hitting on the homer part, even though I've said I think Duke cheats and that I adore Cal and that I think UK is the top program in history and that I think Roy Williams is a really decent guy and that most of us would cheer any school if we went there and so on and so forth.)

I'm going to assume there is other shit going on that is behind this, because otherwise this is an odd set of exchanges going on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty00
o_O

Wait.

Our first interaction in this thread was you taking some boring, been-done shot at Duke fans while trying to talk up UK fans, and then telling me to go google and come up with a list. I said that I didn't think my list would be that worthwhile, because I hadn't seen anyone really coach much before K, and then took a pretty harmless shot saying K is better than any coach UK has ever had, and then you... called me a bandwagon fan?

But I am an egotistical victim whose big ego moment was saying I don't know enough to come up with a worthwhile ranking and who is being a victim by saying GF over trying to paint me as a bandwagon fan, and who is talking out of his ass by... admitting I don't know enough about coaches from the 30s and 60s to pass judgment? So, like... the opposite of being egotistical, the opposite of being a victim, and the opposite of talking out of my ass?

giphy.gif

(And that's not even hitting on the homer part, even though I've said I think Duke cheats and that I adore Cal and that I think UK is the top program in history and that I think Roy Williams is a really decent guy and that most of us would cheer any school if we went there and so on and so forth.)

I'm going to assume there is other shit going on that is behind this, because otherwise this is an odd set of exchanges going on here.
turns out you have a really big clit.

Reactions: Scotty00
ADVERTISEMENT