ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. MSU?

I don't see how ESPN can spin this as a cover up. Everything I have seen in the article was reported in the papers when it happened. Every incident was investigated. Some ended with the players kicked out of school and getting crimally charged. Other investigations let to no charges. But if they all involved independent law enforcement how could one agrue the University covered it up? The Nassar thing is disturbing. But he had more than MSU fooled. He had the victims, parents, Olympic committee, coaches, and many others fooled. The situation is very heart breaking and embarrassing for MSU. MSU is being forced to own it, which is fair. Izzo and Dantanio have always tried to be fair and do the right thing from what I have seen. I expect them to come out of this just fine. It was just a few months ago that Dantonio was being praised by how he handled MSU's issues last summer.

I don't see how ESPN can spin this as a cover up. Everything I have seen in the article was reported in the papers when it happened. Every incident was investigated. Some ended with the players kicked out of school and getting crimally charged. Other investigations let to no charges. But if they all involved independent law enforcement how could one agrue the University covered it up? The Nassar thing is disturbing. But he had more than MSU fooled. He had the victims, parents, Olympic committee, coaches, and many others fooled. The situation is very heart breaking and embarrassing for MSU. MSU is being forced to own it, which is fair. Izzo and Dantanio have always tried to be fair and do the right thing from what I have seen. I expect them to come out of this just fine. It was just a few months ago that Dantonio was being praised by how he handled MSU's issues last summer.
MSU is beyond reproach. They absolutely handled the last 15+ years of rape allegations in true sensible fashion. An absolute example of how an athletic department (with Izzo and Dantonio front and center) should be ran.

Not.

Answering every question with "we've cooperated with every investigation" and then stating he feels guilty. Izzo knows he's f***ed and it showed in that press conference of him dodging even attempting to answer anything.

Why did your assistant coach leave your program. "I don't remember."

Just own it Sparty. You chose sports over people.

I think ESPN's biggest cover up argument is the fact that MSU fought their Freedom of Information Act request and countersued when sued on it. If they had nothing to to hide, why not release the information when pressed?

That's not the first time MSU tried to suppress information:

Reactions: CWood202

Today's climate for these types of events has gone from temperate to boiling. It will not take much to get heads rolling. The incoming president might want to clean house to avoid greater penalties.

That's fair. They did fight those.

I think ESPN's biggest cover up argument is the fact that MSU fought their Freedom of Information Act request and countersued when sued on it. If they had nothing to to hide, why not release the information when pressed?

That's not the first time MSU tried to suppress information:

So Izzo said yesterday that he didn't recall why Walton left the program? Really Coach?

http://www.limaohio.com/sports/281851/tom-izzos-coaching-dna-runs-deep-in-travis-walton

Faced with a decision about what to do next, it was Coach Izzo who stepped in and made Travis an offer he couldn’t refuse. “I was nine hours short of graduation,” Walton says. “Coach Izzo encouraged me to return to MSU, work with him as a student assistant coach, and earn my degree.”

Walton moved into Izzo’s basement and spent the year completing his degree, learning the art of coaching and staying in shape by working out with the team.

Reactions: CWood202
So Izzo said yesterday that he didn't recall why Walton left the program? Really Coach?

http://www.limaohio.com/sports/281851/tom-izzos-coaching-dna-runs-deep-in-travis-walton

Faced with a decision about what to do next, it was Coach Izzo who stepped in and made Travis an offer he couldn’t refuse. “I was nine hours short of graduation,” Walton says. “Coach Izzo encouraged me to return to MSU, work with him as a student assistant coach, and earn my degree.”

Walton moved into Izzo’s basement and spent the year completing his degree, learning the art of coaching and staying in shape by working out with the team.

The biggest thing I’ve read in relation to this story is that accusation arose 1 year and 4 months after Walton left. If that is the case then he would have left to play ball in Europe. Then almost a year and a half later he would get accused.

This is why we need an investigation to clear this stuff up and use actual facts and not a salacious article where only 1 side is presented and things may or may not have been left out.

Yikes. That looks really bad.

MSU is beyond reproach. They absolutely handled the last 15+ years of rape allegations in true sensible fashion. An absolute example of how an athletic department (with Izzo and Dantonio front and center) should be ran.

Not.

Answering every question with "we've cooperated with every investigation" and then stating he feels guilty. Izzo knows he's f***ed and it showed in that press conference of him dodging even attempting to answer anything.

Why did your assistant coach leave your program. "I don't remember."

Just own it Sparty. You chose sports over people.

A few gymnastics coaches chose sports over people? Sure, they did.

But so did the victims parents, local LE, FBI, USA gymnastics, etc.

Just a sad situation all around with failure by people who should have known better on every level.

It's not easy when doctors and law enforcement are telling you Nasser isn't doing anything wrong. Victims last week even said why they didn't go to the police because Nasser had people that respected defending him.

Wow... Really?

There is clearly a repeated pattern of not disciplining MSU student athletes in cases involving sexual assault.

Not once, or twice, but DOZENS of times. MSU, in some instances, had coaches handling the discipline. Campus police failed to fill out reports on several instances.

I know you are a MSU fan, by your avatar, but those at the tip top knew very well what was going on and they did nothing, trying to defend the reputation of the university. EVERYONE there knew the truth.

Is Tom Izzo now responsible and accountable for Stuart Dunnings?

I’m not going to get into a back and forth on this as it will be a waste of time but he’s not a detective, he’s not a prosecuting attorney, and he’s not a Title IX investigator.

It’s my understanding the ELPD and MSUPD investigated, sent their findings to the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office, and they didn’t pursue charges as they said they didn’t have enough evidence to bring it to trial, let alone a conviction.

At that point, what should Izzo do and what did he do that warrants a resignation or firing?

It’s as if it doesn’t even matter. Sad stuff.
And the prosecutor who went against the MSUPD recommendation and didn't prosecute now works at Michigan State...sure looks like quid pro quo for a future job.

Reactions: WheelerG
And the prosecutor who went against the MSUPD recommendation and didn't prosecute now works at Michigan State...sure looks like quid pro quo for a future job.

Stuart Dunnings is a crook but he does not work for MSU. There was an attorney working under him that now works for the Title IX Dept at MSU but that’s through the Dept of Education, not MSU.

Another great reason why we need an investigation based on facts and not a TV show report.

I think I’m beginning to understand what the PSU fans have been warning us about. This is going to suck.

Reactions: JonBuckley
Bring me the emails. Bring me the phone calls. Bring me the intimidation communications. All of these things were uncovered at PSU and Baylor showing mass institutional cover up.

ESPN has literally re packaged old news that was public knowledge 8 years ago and somehow tying it to Nassar. ESPN is trying to re write history without any new evidence.

If this was such a crisis, where is any shred of evidence supporting the fake narrative ESPN is trying to paint?

Reactions: SpartyRBS
I think you just made this up.

Today's climate for these types of events has gone from temperate to boiling. It will not take much to get heads rolling. The incoming president might want to clean house to avoid greater penalties.

Bring me the emails. Bring me the phone calls. Bring me the intimidation communications. All of these things were uncovered at PSU and Baylor showing mass institutional cover up.

ESPN has literally re packaged old news that was public knowledge 8 years ago and somehow tying it to Nassar. ESPN is trying to re write history without any new evidence.

If this was such a crisis, where is any shred of evidence supporting the fake narrative ESPN is trying to paint?

Yup, bring the documentation and evidence of a cover up. I want it done. I want the investigation. I want the facts.

The article saying all of these things happened just isn’t enough and I think you see people taking a step back like what what are we doing here?

OTL and Allswede are going to have to bring the documentation. The source documents. The emails and texts and phone calls. They spent years FOIA things from MSU. Where is it? They had to of requested that stuff, right?

Yup, bring the documentation and evidence of a cover up. I want it done. I want the investigation. I want the facts.

The article saying all of these things happened just isn’t enough and I think you see people taking a step back like what what are we doing here?

OTL and Allswede are going to have to bring the documentation. The source documents. The emails and texts and phone calls. They spent years FOIA things from MSU. Where is it? They had to of requested that stuff, right?

Not only that, when has ESPN ever ran another OTL investigation piece based upon a single source who has no evidence and only opinion?

Lauren even admits she's never talked to Hollis, Izzo, or Dantonio.

This ESPN OTL piece was a lightly investigated, overly sensationalized, piece of shit.

Reactions: SpartyRBS
No words for this post. People need to wake up or things like this will never change.
Bob Ley who is part of ESPN OTL reporting was on TV this morning and straight up said "let the facts be proven before jumping to any conclusions". I get it you are like 75% of America and have the need to grab torches and pitchforks immediately.

Having lived in East Lansing and following MSU for a long time, the law enforcement isn't kind to MSU students and athletes. If anything, they are way to hard on both in my opinion. So I find it crazy when people imply a police cover up. I could understand if these issues never made it to the police. But they did and were investigated. MSU acted on the results of those investigation.

Having lived in East Lansing and following MSU for a long time, the law enforcement isn't kind to MSU students and athletes. If anything, they are way to hard on both in my opinion. So I find it crazy when people imply a police cover up. I could understand if these issues never made it to the police. But they did and were investigated. MSU acted on the results of those investigation.

What's funny is you know people are just making things up when they say phrases like 'police recommend charges'.

No, police don't do that. They gather evidence and turn it over to the DAs office who then deices whether or not charges are there after investigating all evidence.

Part of the reason why James Comey was fired and was an utterly incompetent FBI Dir. He's law enforcement like the police--the police and FBI don't 'charge people' the DAs office and DOJ do. When Comey made the statement about no charges coming to Hilary he overstepped his authority because it's the DOJs jurisdiction to decide and bring charges.

People who are trying to lump in Izzo and Dantonio with Nasser with zero real reporting or evidence is disgusting and pathetic.

MSU deserves all the heat and scrutiny for Nasser, these connections ESPN tried to make was the definition of fake news.

You can see why the media has all time low credibility ratings in this country.

What's funny is you know people are just making things up when they say phrases like 'police recommend charges'.

No, police don't do that. They gather evidence and turn it over to the DAs office who then deices whether or not charges are there after investigating all evidence.

Part of the reason why James Comey was fired and was an utterly incompetent FBI Dir. He's law enforcement like the police--the police and FBI don't 'charge people' the DAs office and DOJ do. When Comey made the statement about no charges coming to Hilary he overstepped his authority because it's the DOJs jurisdiction to decide and bring charges.

People who are trying to lump in Izzo and Dantonio with Nasser with zero real reporting or evidence is disgusting and pathetic.

MSU deserves all the heat and scrutiny for Nasser, these connections ESPN tried to make was the definition of fake news.

You can see why the media has all time low credibility ratings in this country.
So it's "fake news" that the football team has had 16 allegations of sexual assault since Dantonio took over? And that he lied when he said last years incident was the first time anything like that had happened in his program?

So it's "fake news" that the football team has had 16 allegations of sexual assault since Dantonio took over? And that he lied when he said last years incident was the first time anything like that had happened in his program?

Sigh. You’ve fallen for fake news.

All 16 cases during his ten years were investigated. Only 4 resulted in charges (last year) and those kids were suspended and then booted off the team.

Also your quote from Dantonio is Espn fake news. Dantonio did not call those reports false. He said it’s false there was impropriety in handling those cases.

Espn spliced his quote and used his answer to portray him answering a different question. It’s what fake news does.

Problem for Espn is you can see his full presser and know they cut the quote to fit their fake narrative.

Nothing you are mad about is based in reality in regards to Izzo or Dantonio.

Reactions: PPTPW
If you are a Michigan State slappy blindly defending your two cult heroes and denying that widespread sexual assault occured by their players under their watch and then was subsequently covered up, youre bad and you feel bad.

I will not be responding to your garbage ass posts - its people like you why Izzo and Dantonio felt they could get away with sweeping every heinous act by their players under the rug in the first place - you despicable turds would always just blindly defend them and never hold them accountable.

If you are a Michigan State slappy blindly defending your two cult heroes and denying that widespread sexual assault occured by their players under their watch and then was subsequently covered up, youre bad and you feel bad.

Nothing what you said is true. Not a single player Izzo has ever coached while on the team was charged with sexual assault. Only time Dantonio has had that was last year and the kids were suspended and kicked off the team.

The DA made a public statement about Payne and Appling and said no crime committed. This was 8 years ago.

Provide proof of your accusations or GTFO. You are a piece of shit to be honest. If it’s so bad there should be mountains of evidence and there’s none.

If evidence comes out Izzo or Dantonio tried to actively cover up an assault I’ll be the first to lead the charge to bring them down.

What Espn has done is completely defamatory. Trying to say coaches empowered a culture of sexual assault with no proof is a joke. Did they block investigations? Did they intimidate accusers? What did they do?? (Crickets)

MSU cops are now "way too hard" on their athletes.

You've heard it all from Sparty fans now, folks.

Do you know why that is? They requested interviews with them and were denied. I wonder if anyone regrets that decision.

She provides no evidence of anything. Where’s her documents. Hell she claims other people left disgruntled like her. Where are they? What’s the name of the university lawyer who told her other people left?

She’s basically espns only source and she has zero evidence of anything.

Sorry if before destroying lives I need to actually see evidence of accusations.

Trying to retro actively connect Izzo and Dantonio to Nasser is disgusting.

These are serious accusations. Put up or GFY

yikes

Maybe not one basketball player under Izzo has been charged with sexual assault, but at minimum, two should have been.

And there's probably an ugly truth to why they were not.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins
Man these athletes have been absolutely hammered for their transgressions.

One even had to talk to his mom for sexual assault. Unjust punishment if you ask me. Way too harsh.

So you never have specifics or answers, just vague statements and baseless attacks.

Also what you said is, once again, fake news.

That player was booted off the team and Dantonio told him to explain to his mom why.

Context is cool, huh? What if I also told you one of the 16 assault accusers was against a player who had already graduated from MSU?

Context is cool, huh.

Of those 16, how many were charged or found in TitleIX violations? How many were kicked off the team without due process? Is having 15 players accused of sexual assault over 11 years a lot? What’s those numbers compared to the student popu

Can you provide a single example of Dantonio improperly handling an assault accusation? Should be easy to find according to you.

But you won’t respond to anything I said.

You can still respond to my question as to how a UM grad DA or county prosecutors are MSU cops. I’m all ears.

Yes. The DA usually brings down the hammer on MSU students and athletes that screw up. So I'm not going to believe they swept something under the rug unless I hear at least some proof. If they investigted and determine no crime was committed I will tend to believe them. Athletes don't get off easy.

MSU cops are now "way too hard" on their athletes.

You've heard it all from Sparty fans now, folks.

yikes

Maybe not one basketball player under Izzo has been charged with sexual assault, but at minimum, two should have been.

Cool speculation.

You should read this and tell me how they ‘should have been charged.’ I’m all ears.

I’m positive people on the internet are better at making these decisions than the woman who investigated sexual crimes for the county, right?

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2010/09/report_two_michigan_state_bask.html

Nothing what you said is true. Not a single player Izzo has ever coached while on the team was charged with sexual assault. Only time Dantonio has had that was last year and the kids were suspended and kicked off the team.

The DA made a public statement about Payne and Appling and said no crime committed. This was 8 years ago.

Provide proof of your accusations or GTFO. You are a piece of shit to be honest. If it’s so bad there should be mountains of evidence and there’s none.

If evidence comes out Izzo or Dantonio tried to actively cover up an assault I’ll be the first to lead the charge to bring them down.

What Espn has done is completely defamatory. Trying to say coaches empowered a culture of sexual assault with no proof is a joke. Did they block investigations? Did they intimidate accusers? What did they do?? (Crickets)

Payne confirmed the accusers rape story on video, he states the the victim said “no, I’m done” multiple times. The DA who didn’t think the victims story and Payne’s statement warranted a charge was later busted in a prostitution ring.

It’s fair to say the the DA 8 years ago may not have had the best interest of female victims in mind, no?

Last edited:
yikes

Outside The Lines: MSU athletics have been covering up sexual assaults by football and basketball athletes for years according to our research.

MSU Slappies/Rape apologists: Oh yeah, well nobody has been charged with sexual assault so Izzo and Dantonio are innocent!

Me: Do you understand what the word coverup means?

If there was a cover up it had to involve collusion with law enforcement. I find that very hard to believe. Maybe in the 70s but not in today's day in age. ESPN provided partial truths to fit their narrative. It was reckless.

Outside The Lines: MSU athletics have been covering up sexual assaults by football and basketball athletes for years according to our research.

MSU Slappies/Rape apologists: Oh yeah, well nobody has been charged with sexual assault so Izzo and Dantonio are innocent!

Me: Do you understand what the word coverup means?

If there was a cover up it had to involve collusion with law enforcement. I find that very hard to believe. Maybe in the 70s but not in today's day in age. ESPN provided partial truths to fit their narrative. It was reckless.
Not nearly as reckless as the entire Michigan State athletic department and administration.

First of all, you're misconstruing "facts" here. ESPN's report stated there were 16 instances of sexual assault OR violence. Not that either one is OK, but there were not 16 sexual assaults. When you break down the number between the actual cases, the most recent one was 3 individuals that sexually assaulted 1 female. All 3 were immediately suspended, and once charged (not prosecuted, they have not yet had that day in court) were dismissed from the University.

That instance is the one that Dantonio was referring to as "new ground" because those 3 players were actually charged with a crime, whereas the other instances - no charges were brought.

There was also an external investigation called the Jones Report, that concluded that Dantonio took the proper protocols during that investigation:

Full report: https://msu.edu/ourcommitment/_assets/files/Jones-Day-Report-June-5-2017.pdf

Many of the "facts" in ESPN's report are not truly facts, they are based on what Lauren Allsweded "heard" from someone else within the athletic department. She's never actually spoken with Izzo or Dantonio. ESPN recorded her comments back in August, and just released it now at the same time as the Nassar sentencing was released. Another interesting fact is that while she was employed by MSU for those years, she never tried to alert any authorities and actually accepted an award in 2015 for MSU's sexual assault program.

http://news.jrn.msu.edu/ingham-old/...ners-recognizes-msu-sexual-assault-program-2/

She has also since been commenting on Facebook, which is where she states that she never spoke with Izzo or Dantonio, and has no idea how they would handle it:

8087977.jpg

This article provides some line by line analysis on the ESPN article. Just food for thought.

https://michiganstatefootballblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/29/otl-msu-report-my-commentary/

So read it, don't read it whatever. Right now all we have is a slanted ESPN article that withholds key details to paint MSU in the worst possible light, with perfect timing of the Nassar thing. Until all of the facts come out, I am withholding judgement. Yes, that probably makes me an MSU homer. No, I don't give a F. If anyone at MSU, including Izzo and Dantonio, covered anything up - hammer them.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastspartan
Izzo is keeping much of his thoughts to himself and it's more than likely being done because his or MSU's legal council are telling him to keep his mouth shut until they are able to gather all the facts. For MSU as a whole, this is a nightmare scenario and one that is implicating all coaches and players & not just Nassar. Personally I'm not condemning Izzo completely but the latest OTL & E:60 episodes becoming more and more troubling. I'm not sure anything OTL and E:60 have reported on the MSU crisis are being overblown in the least. It's highly unfortunate but also a very real situation MSU is in at the moment. It's not going to get any easier as time goes along anytime soon.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins
ADVERTISEMENT