ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. MSU?

First of all, you're misconstruing "facts" here. ESPN's report stated there were 16 instances of sexual assault OR violence. Not that either one is OK, but there were not 16 sexual assaults. When you break down the number between the actual cases, the most recent one was 3 individuals that sexually assaulted 1 female. All 3 were immediately suspended, and once charged (not prosecuted, they have not yet had that day in court) were dismissed from the University.

That instance is the one that Dantonio was referring to as "new ground" because those 3 players were actually charged with a crime, whereas the other instances - no charges were brought.

There was also an external investigation called the Jones Report, that concluded that Dantonio took the proper protocols during that investigation:

Full report: https://msu.edu/ourcommitment/_assets/files/Jones-Day-Report-June-5-2017.pdf

Many of the "facts" in ESPN's report are not truly facts, they are based on what Lauren Allsweded "heard" from someone else within the athletic department. She's never actually spoken with Izzo or Dantonio. ESPN recorded her comments back in August, and just released it now at the same time as the Nassar sentencing was released. Another interesting fact is that while she was employed by MSU for those years, she never tried to alert any authorities and actually accepted an award in 2015 for MSU's sexual assault program.

http://news.jrn.msu.edu/ingham-old/...ners-recognizes-msu-sexual-assault-program-2/

She has also since been commenting on Facebook, which is where she states that she never spoke with Izzo or Dantonio, and has no idea how they would handle it:

8087977.jpg

This article provides some line by line analysis on the ESPN article. Just food for thought.

https://michiganstatefootballblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/29/otl-msu-report-my-commentary/

So read it, don't read it whatever. Right now all we have is a slanted ESPN article that withholds key details to paint MSU in the worst possible light, with perfect timing of the Nassar thing. Until all of the facts come out, I am withholding judgement. Yes, that probably makes me an MSU homer. No, I don't give a F. If anyone at MSU, including Izzo and Dantonio, covered anything up - hammer them.

That’s not “all we have”. We literally have video of Payne saying that the woman Appling raped told Appling “no” multiple times. Given the victims story and Payne’s statement, it’s appalling that Appling never served a suspension for his actions.

See: 2:52

Last edited:
Willing to get canned instead of taking the high road..... I like it. It would be stupid for him to resign though, he would void any chance of getting any kind of monetary settlement out of the years remaining on his contract (may even owe money). He might not get a settlement anyway, but resigning would ensure he gets nothing.

I would think there has to be some kind of clause in those contracts regarding team over site, morals clauses etc. Anyone who knows about a player sexually assaunting someone and does nothing is living in an absolute moral vacuum.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
(Posted this to the wrong thread)

So read it, don't read it whatever. Right now all we have is a slanted ESPN article that withholds key details to paint MSU in the worst possible light, with perfect timing of the Nassar thing. Until all of the facts come out, I am withholding judgement. Yes, that probably makes me an MSU homer. No, I don't give a F. If anyone at MSU, including Izzo and Dantonio, covered anything up - hammer them.

Appling was accused of rape. There is video of a witness statement who was in the room saying that the victim repeatedly said "no". However, you will not come out and say that Appling committed sexual assault. You say you are going to wait for the facts to come out.

I'm sure you'd withhold judgement if a Michigan player was accused of sexual assault but never charged, right?

Wrong.

Branden Gibbons (rape that covered up for 3 years, because they needed a kicker)

Brandon Gibbons raped a girl before Hoke even took over as coach, but was kept on the team for the next 3 years and Hoke even lied about his status when he didn't travel to the bowl game "having family issues." Taylor Lewan, Gibbons' roommate, reportedly threatened this girl to keep quiet.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-...people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

If anything, there are more facts supporting the story of the Appling rape victim than the Gibbons rape victim (see: Payne's statement). I'm a Michigan fan though, so I probably defended Gibbons' because facts never came out that proved a crime was committed, right?

Wrong.

I have no trouble admitting Gibbons is a P.O.S.

I tend to believe both victims in these two cases because where there is that much smoke there is usually fire. I think both players deserved punishment from the team and are both pieces of shit. Just because Gibbons and Appling may never be charged or convicted in the legal system doesn't make it morally right for them to play as if nothing happened. I think BOTH situations were handled terribly.

So many of you have already buried Travis Walton. Here is his statement. I’ll be following this stuff going forward. ESPN made a whole lot of assumptions and things are starting to come out one by one.

Jay Bilas last night came out in defense of MSU and asked for evidence to support the reports in OTL. I was pretty shocked actually. He works for ESPN. You make the call.

I find all of this fascinating.

Last edited:

So many of you have already buried Travis Walton. Here is his statement. I’ll be following this stuff going forward. ESPN made a whole lot of assumptions and things are starting to come out one by one.

Jay Bilas last night came out in defense of MSU and asked for evidence to support the reports in OTL. I was pretty shocked actually. He works for ESPN.
Bilas was on the radio yesterday, and he did NOT defend MSU. He's basically saying he doesn't know, but there is obviously something amuck.

Don't try to construe that into defending MSU.

MSU = Penn State > Louisvlle

Wow, Walton just eviscerates ESPNs story.

ESPN once again going after people with no supporting evidence.

Facts: Walton was never a university employee (means he could never be fired), never hit a woman at a bar (verified by two witness statements given to city attorney) and was never charged with or was ever made aware of a rape accusation against him. Suggested that he and the woman were actually in a consensual relationship.

He has never been charged with a crime in EL.

ESPN has zero proof to backup any of their claims against him.

The whole story was based on Lauren Allswede saying she heard from an MSU attorney who heard from someone that Walton was accused of rape.

She couldn't even give the date, time or name of the attorney that told her that.

Facts: Walton was never a university employee (means he could never be fired), never hit a woman at a bar (verified by two witness statements given to city attorney) and was never charged with or was ever made aware of a rape accusation against him. Suggested that he and the woman were actually in a consensual relationship.

The whole story was based on Lauren Allswede saying she heard from an MSU attorney who heard from someone that Walton was accused of rape.

She couldn't even give the date, time or name of the attorney that told her that.

I don’t want to go full homer but this is getting interesting man. Like I wonder what the reaction will be over at ESPN. They put a lot of eggs in the Allswede and Lavigne basket.

They didn’t even need to do that either. They could have drilled MSU and stuck with the Larry Nassar case.

I want more to come out about Travis Walton. This could be one epic f up along the Duke Lacrosse lines. It’s not like other media outlets are reporting on the same scandal like ESPN did with Duke, Baylor, and PSU. This is ESPN’s baby. They nurses this report. It’s their report everyone has piggy backed off of. I can’t even imagine the fall out if they did in fact go with Allswede on this and the public actually thinks back critically instead of old headlines.

Last edited:

Do you expect Walton to admit guilt? I've heard reporters also say multiple people witnessed Walton punch a girl in the face. Not sure whose right, but that's just his side of the story.

Reactions: CWood202 and KisteK

Thoughts on my response above to MileHigh? Surely you see his double standards?

The girl that Travis Walton allegedly hit was complaining about not even being able to get a lawyer to represent her because ‘Tom Izzo owns East Lansing’ (her words).

I think if she was having trouble obtaining legal counsel, it would be because she probably shouldn’t have been in a bar 7 months after her DUI.

I’m not trying to ‘victim shame’, but apparently she took to some comments sections the other day and maybe dug a little too deep of a hole to expect to have much credibility.

We need a credible, independent investigator. Someone from the FBI with no connections to MSU, someone not from the state of Michigan and with no connections to any other Big Ten school to look into this.

We need a credible, independent investigator. Someone from the FBI with no connections to MSU, someone not from the state of Michigan and with no connections to any other Big Ten school to look into this.

With this one comment, MGO1688 now has more credibility than ESPN. Congrats bro, you have a brain and you’ve used it sufficiently in a well adjusted manner.

At some point proper authorities will have to look at the evidence and base their judgment on its merit. I know this may sound crazy these days but we’ve done well as a country with the whole, innocent until proven guilty thing.

If you need assistance finding contact information for FBI agents, you can call the U6 compliance office.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

The time for Izzo to resign has come.

What does this prove? You honestly think Izzo did NOT know about this when it happened? It was all over the local papers and news at the time, back in 2010.

The whole OTL thing first insinuated that Izzo (and Dantonio) was a part of covering things up. Since then, there has been zero proof that anything of the sort actually happened.

If you want to knock him for not suspending or booting them for immoral behavior that's fine, but he broke no rules. Fire him / resign because he let the legal process play out, of which multiple different people (County Prosecutor plus 2 female assistant prosecutors) and groups (Title IX, OCR, and a 3rd party legal team) agree that no crime was committed?

https://smc68az.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/paula-lavigne-is-a-liar-part-i/

The girl that Travis Walton allegedly hit was complaining about not even being able to get a lawyer to represent her because ‘Tom Izzo owns East Lansing’ (her words).

I think if she was having trouble obtaining legal counsel, it would be because she probably shouldn’t have been in a bar 7 months after her DUI.

I’m not trying to ‘victim shame’, but apparently she took to some comments sections the other day and maybe dug a little too deep of a hole to expect to have much credibility.

Lol what? You can still drink after getting a DUI.

The time for Izzo to resign has come.

This is what is wrong with the media. You see the title, and naturally you say 'wow'. If you haven't read it already, then when you do you will find absolutely nothing that anyone didn't already know. They put that headline so you will put up the article and read it, regardless of substance.

Of course he fvcking knew lol. The players were allowed to play because the prosecutor had already decided to not press charges.

ADVERTISEMENT