ADVERTISEMENT

Put together a 4-team basketball tournament you'd like to see

HuskerGuy33

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2005
For basketball tournaments, the teams must be from different conferences, so put together a 4-team early season tournament you'd love to see.

For me, I'd name the Tournament the Big 8 Classic

Teams would include
Missouri: SEC
Nebraska: Big Ten
Colorado: PAC 12
Kansas: Big 12

Each year, we could rotate teams from the Big 12 to also include Oklahoma, Okahoma State, Iowa State and Kansas State

Have the Tournament played in Kansas City every year just as the Big 8 tournament was always played in Kansas City

Id swap western with purdue snd have indiana and purdue alternate playing louisville and UK. Like state vs state. Then u wouldnt mess with the regular uk/ul and iu/purdue games.

I’ll call mine the Four Corners Tourney. The location would rotate home courts of each of these four schools, with half the tickets given to the home team and the other half split among the other three.

Florida State
UConn
Gonzaga
UCLA

Cool idea. The conference stipulation makes it hard for a tournament Illinois would be in, as the Big Ten has pretty good consolidation of the Midwest. I’d like something in Chicago with Illinois, Notre Dame, DePaul and another, but the fourth would be kind of random or too small. Not Loyola, please. :)

I also tried to think of something perhaps mixing up Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and a fourth, but I wouldn’t want to give up our Braggin’ Rights setup with Mizzou. Here is a non-Illini one I think would be kind of cool before UConn moved back to the Big East:

MSG in New York, NY
Big Ten: Rutgers
ACC: Syracuse
Big East: St. John’s
AAC: UConn

For the rest, I keep coming up with 3 and then running out of ideas, haha:

Washington, DC
Big Ten: Maryland
ACC: Virginia (or VT, I guess)
Big East: Georgetown

Houston, TX
Big XII: Texas
SEC: Texas A&M
AAC: Houston

Louisville, KY
ACC: Louisville
SEC: Kentucky
Big Ten: Indiana

Cincinnati, OH
AAC: Cincinnati
Big Ten: Ohio State

Pittsburgh, PA
ACC: Pitt
Big Ten: Penn State
Big XII: West Virginia

Reactions: JWG66 and bMORE607
Cool idea. The conference stipulation makes it hard for a tournament Illinois would be in, as the Big Ten has pretty good consolidation of the Midwest. I’d like something in Chicago with Illinois, Notre Dame, DePaul and another, but the fourth would be kind of random or too small. Not Loyola, please. :)

I also tried to think of something perhaps mixing up Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and a fourth, but I wouldn’t want to give up our Braggin’ Rights setup with Mizzou. Here is a non-Illini one I think would be kind of cool before UConn moved back to the Big East:

MSG in New York, NY

Washington, DC

Houston, TX

Louisville, KY

Cincinnati, OH

Pittsburgh, PA

George Mason or VCU could go in your DC one.

Add Tulane or Rice to your Houston one. Or maybe North Texas.

Cinci one would be perfect for Xavier.

Throw Nova or St. Joe’s, or any one of the Philly schools in the Pitt one.

Best White Team in America Tournament (will vary each year)
Syracuse (ACC)
Iowa (Big Ten)
Arizona (Pac 12)
BYU (WCC)

Also considered: Belmont, Notre Dame, Wisconsin

Final Four Rematch Tournament
Gonzaga
UCLA
Baylor
Houston

Tournament of Conference Champions (of the P6 conferences, and maybe go with the 4 teams with the most potential)
Villanova
Baylor
Michigan
Alabama

Just Missed: Virginia, Oregon

Syracuse (ACC)
Iowa (Big Ten)
Arizona (Pac 12)
BYU (WCC)

Gonzaga
UCLA
Baylor
Houston

Tournament of Conference Champions (of the P6 conferences, and maybe go with the 4 teams with the most potential)
Villanova
Baylor
Michigan
Alabama

A final four rematch tourney would be fun every December.

A final four rematch tourney would be fun every December.

For sure. Could have had some really good games over the years.

2013- Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State- lots of good looking matchup opportunities.

2014- Louisville vs. Wichita State (2013 National Champs vs. the #1 team)

2015- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky (played anyway, but those two teams were #1 and #2 in the preseason, IIRC)

2017- Villanova vs. North Carolina (2016, 2017, and 2018 National Champs)

2021- Gonzaga vs UCLA (potentially the top two teams)

MSG in New York, NY

Washington, DC

Houston, TX

Louisville, KY

Cincinnati, OH

Pittsburgh, PA
A&M is trash
If in Houston I would invite LSU
Or put it in Dallas and invite Arkansas.

Michigan
Michigan State
North Carolina
Duke

At Pauli Pavilion, so I can go. If not, then MSG

Syracuse (ACC)
Iowa (Big Ten)
Arizona (Pac 12)
BYU (WCC)

Gonzaga
UCLA
Baylor
Houston

Villanova
Baylor
Michigan
Alabama

East Coast bias strikes again in the Tournament of Champions 😉

Reactions: dukedevilz
Id love to see the champions classic rotate the most recent champions. Or call it the blue blood classic. I mean i know they did it to have a team from each conf but no offense sparty fans but yall dont quite belong, but really no big ten team can mark the success of the other three, indiana probably closest but the havent done much in forever. Unc makes the most sense but that effs with the unc/duke conf rivalry. Ucla makes sense if anyone cared about ucla.

Id love to see the champions classic rotate the most recent champions. Or call it the blue blood classic. I mean i know they did it to have a team from each conf but no offense sparty fans but yall dont quite belong, but really no big ten team can mark the success of the other three, indiana probably closest but the havent done much in forever. Unc makes the most sense but that effs with the unc/duke conf rivalry. Ucla makes sense if anyone cared about ucla.
Yeah but UK already plays UCLA UNC and OSU in that CBS tournament.

Touche that didnt cross my mind.

Again imo osu is the odd ball in that tourney as well even moreso than sparty in the other. Guess they just cant have teams from the same conference. Still indiana should have been the cbs choice imo and im no hoosier fan.

I just want the Champions Classic to be a round robin. I know it'll never happen b/c UNC/Duke are in the same conference but having the winners/losers play every year would be cool. Could make a dumb little trophy for it too.

Tennessee
Texas Tech
Michigan
Gonzaga

Not a 4 team tourney, but something I've felt would always be cool...Have a state tournament, so to speak...

Indiana, Purdue, Evansville, Butler, Notre Dame, Ft. Wayne, Valpo, Ball State, Indiana State and IUPUI..

Play it at the start of season...Play it at BankersLife.

Reactions: Villian07
I’ll call mine the Four Corners Tourney. The location would rotate home courts of each of these four schools, with half the tickets given to the home team and the other half split among the other three.

Florida State
UConn
Gonzaga
UCLA
The actual 4 corners tournament would be:

Arizona (or ASU)
Colorado (or CSU, Air Force)
Utah (or BYU, Utah State, Weber State)
New Mexico (or New Mexico State)

Reactions: duckboy33
Iowa already had their own Big 4 Classic deal with UNI, ISU and Drake to make up for them and ISU not wanting to play UNI and Drake, especially at their own places.

It is kind of lame, but when UNI starts bringing in hometown guys to officiate their games and then they call a sh***y game that heavily favors the homesteading UNI, well that's how you ruin it for everyone...................

I personally would prefer Iowa and ISU to play Drake AND UNI every year, but here we are.

Syracuse (ACC)
Iowa (Big Ten)
Arizona (Pac 12)
BYU (WCC)

Gonzaga
UCLA
Baylor
Houston

Villanova
Baylor
Michigan
Alabama

Wisconsin is much whiter than Iowa ftr............it's not our fault the other B10 posters on this board perpetuated that stereotype about Iowa.

Another idea for a 4 team OOC Tournament is the Time Zone Tournament Classic.

UCLA (PST/Pac 12)
BYU (MST/WCC)
Iowa (CST/B10)
Villanova (EST/Big East)

And this could change every year and have a host of different matchups, all in an effort to determine the superior time zone (hint.....which we all know is Central Standard Time anyway, but we'll let the others have something to believe in SmokinSmile)

Teams would include
Missouri: SEC
Nebraska: Big Ten
Colorado: PAC 12
Kansas: Big 12

Each year, we could rotate teams from the Big 12 to also include Oklahoma, Okahoma State, Iowa State and Kansas State
You’d definitely want to rotate Kansas out, or that would quickly become known as the Jayhawk Invitational.

Reactions: KUhawks34
For next year, I'd go with-

Iowa
Illinois

Kentucky
Louisville

Kentucky
Louisville
Indiana
Notre Dame

Michigan
Michigan State
North Carolina
Duke

At Pauli Pavilion, so I can go. If not, then MSG

The actual 4 corners tournament would be:

Arizona (or ASU)
Colorado (or CSU, Air Force)
Utah (or BYU, Utah State, Weber State)
New Mexico (or New Mexico State)
"the teams must be from different conferences"

Yeah well maybe some of those teams should leave their current conferences then, so it would work.....how bout that?

It's not my fault f***ing Colorado joined the Pac 12 and ruined the possibility of an OOC 4 Corners tournament.......
Colorado, Utah, and AZ are all Pac 12. They totally screwed it up for you. May as well just have NM join the conference now. 😆

ADVERTISEMENT