ADVERTISEMENT

Prosperity gospel

There was a 9 year-old last year who couldn't find anyone to bake a cake with Trump's image on it. Nobody on the left was pressing for legal action against those bakeries. If you're going to tell shops what they can and cannot bake, you might as well say goodbye to the 1st Amendment.

Yeah, dude, and no one made a lawsuit. What's your point?

They went elsewhere and didn't make a big fuss of it. This is what responsible citizens should do.

Cool. And if you actually read this thread you'd see nearly everyone said some variation of that.

Nope. If you don’t see your post as condescending towards people who believe in God then we won’t see eye to eye and further conversing is a waste of your time and mine. Have a good day!

You're saying its ok to be condescending towards an atheist? We're people too.

They went elsewhere and didn't make a big fuss of it. This is what responsible citizens should do.

No. That is not necessarily true. If a black couple in the 60s went to eat in a restaurant, and they said we don’t serve blacks, would you say that, if they are responsible citizens, they should go elsewhere?

Horseshit. You are wrong.

Reactions: Dattier
No. That is not necessarily true. If a black couple in the 60s went to eat in a restaurant, and they said we don’t serve blacks, would you say that, if they are responsible citizens, they should go elsewhere?

This is a valid point. However, the the environment in the 60's for black people was a lot less accepting than it is for gays today. There will never be a day where we are free of discrimination. I would be 100% in agreement with you if there weren't many, if not any other place for these men to get their cake made.

If the Supreme Court made a decision in the opposite decision I probably would've got behind that too. I don't necessarily agree with everything they do but they are the most trustworthy institution in Washington when it comes to not making decisions on punditry.

If that changes, we are screwed

Reactions: HawksJ
It was an example of how the hypothetical non-existence of a benevolent and all-powerful deity could result in the perspective that you've missed out. It was not a claim that you do, in fact, feel that way or that you have indeed missed out on anything.

Of course, the very nature of faith somewhat precludes awareness that you're missing anything... if you're missing anything. And we hardly regret what we're not aware of.
Gotcha...

Since I own my own small business, I think its a poor business decision to get involved in something like this. You make them a cake b/c thats wtf you do for a living. Pretty sure God isn't holding it against you or it means you cant still have your own beliefs......if anything, it leaves the judging up to your god---something I'm pretty sure he says to do. Not sure how sexual orientation comes about in these circumstances--even if its congrats larry and ron. Just like in sports---to me its not heroic to come out as a gay athlete. So you like same sex...sex. Who cares? Are we talking about how many chicks tom brady is banging at pressers? Just let people be imo. Also, if someone has a an opinion that your gayness isn't right in their beliefs. Let them have their view. Its not your job to convince them of their beliefs. Use another cake shop for the love of god. Maybe this makes me simple minded, but its a pretty calm way to live in my experience.
This. I work for a small business. You Don t ever turn away a customer b/c of their beliefs. If you do, it' surefire way to go out of buisness.

Reactions: toonces11
Just a quick thought (s):
1. As a society we have became way to soft and sensitive. We take everything literally .
2. Weird how suddenly everyone's an expert on their "rights". Rights that some abuse. Rights that some really Do not understand the context in which they were created.
3. If we quit letting what someone else believes, feels, says or thinks, hurt our feelings, I think we'd see a change in our lives...And society. Not everyone is right. But not everyone is wrong either. Figuring out that balance and being able to accept it, would be a huge step in the right ditection.
JMO on this beautiful Tuesday morning.

Reactions: SNU0821

This isn't the 1960's. Obviously we live in a completely different society. If any business did that now, they would go out of business. You think any company could survive negative PR like that? They would go out of business, and rightfully so.

These weren't innocent people who just made a simple, careless mistake. They had witnessed Moses perform many miracles, including the parting of the Red Sea, freeing them from Egyptian bondage, and guiding them to water and food in the desert. These Israelites willfully defied God - they openly and willfully rebelled against Him.

Furthermore, the Canaanite God, Moloch, is a god who is associated with child sacrifice. The golden calf illustrations look very, very similar to some of the depictions of Moloch, and of course the Isarelites were already heavily influenced by Canaanite culture (Moloch is first mentioned in Leviticus, so we're not too far off in the timeline). I don't know the full context, but I'd say it's very likely that the golden calf worshipers were likely to have followed some of the same Canaanite practices, namely sacrificing live, human sacrifices of small children. When you consider the fact that only 1 out of 200 people were slain (600,000+ left Egypt), it was actually a very small percentage. The Israelities were asked to affirm their beliefs and their willingness to stand on the Lord's side (Ex 32:26), so I can only surmise that the small percentage that were killed openly denied God, the teachings, and the miracles.

Thou shalt not kill..... it doesn't say except those that worship another god lol

This isn't the 1960's. Obviously we live in a completely different society. If any business did that now, they would go out of business. You think any company could survive negative PR like that? They would go out of business, and rightfully so.

A "responsible citizen" does NOT just walk away when they feel like an injustice is done. A "responsible citizen" should do something about it; that's what being responsible IS. This goes beyond what year it is.

A "responsible citizen" does NOT just walk away when they feel like an injustice is done. A "responsible citizen" should do something about it; that's what being responsible IS. This goes beyond what year it is.

That's fine. Go tell everyone about your injustice and then the negative PR will be circulating. Company goes out of business. Justice is served.

If it's for religious reasons, then no. You can't invoke government compulsion to make someone sell something to you. That's violating the first amendment.

Reactions: SNU0821
That's fine. Go tell everyone about your injustice and then the negative PR will be circulating. Company goes out of business. Justice is served.
Right, which is not just going somewhere else, which is what you claimed "responsible citizens" would do.

If it's for religious reasons, then no. You can't invoke government compulsion to make someone sell something to you. That's violating the first amendment.
There are limits to that. It can cost the individual their govt job. There are lawsuits that would not and should not break in favor of the defendant claiming religious immunity. A JW doctor at a private hospital should face criminal prosecution for refusing to give a blood transfusion.

^ I think there's a little bit of difference between generating negative publicity and then frequenting another store, as opposed to dragging out litigation for multiple years, and unfairly threatening the livelihood of a legitimate business which offered multiple alternatives.

As far as government compulsion interfering with freedom of religion, I was obviously referring to a privately owned business, where the business owner is the one making the case for a morally conscious decision. Public officials are not free to apply personal convictions in place of their public duties and responsibilities (aka Kentucky clerk who refused to issue same-sex marriage license). And FWIW, I've read that JW physicians could not order blood transfusions for their patients and remain in good standing with the church (hopefully another Doctor could do this), but JW nurses are permitted to administer blood transfusions as they are not involved in the decision-making process. Blood transfusions are overwhelmingly performed by nurses, as doctors usually just order it. I could be wrong on what's allowed for JW, but either way I was only arguing for a private business with the owner making the stand for a moral (or controversial) decision.

This reminds me of Rivals hidden board.

Last edited:
Hah! We did that on Scout... we'd find some unused board and just take it over:)

But yeah, no way am I checking that out:)

It's all of the reject threads from the mainboard. Most of those threads are like the 3rd or 4th time that topic has been posted in a very short period of time so the mods will move them to high school board where nothing is ever happening.
I just like to watch and they have a lot of traffic.

I just like to watch and they have a lot of traffic.
It's just a small taste of what goes on over there every single day. There's probably 25 threads a day that involve Lebron James right now. Probably another 25 that are directly related to Donald Trump. Maybe more. The good threads remain on the board and don't get moved. Those are ones involving weird stories in the news, advice on things like food recs/travel/etc., recent news that doesn't involve politics (although posters seem to turn them into that), funny videos/gifs and really just a wide variety of random other thoughts and stuff. It's like the Soundoff board only way more active with many more posters. Because of that you get a whole lot more bs lame responses (kys, kys ***git, diaf, you're poor, yore poor, etc.) but it also means that there's a lot more quality posters around. It's fun, if you're not a premium member it's worth the 30 cents a day to subscribe and be entertained.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It's just a small taste of what goes on over there every single day. There's probably 25 threads a day that involve Lebron James right now. Probably another 25 that are directly related to Donald Trump. Maybe more. The good threads remain on the board and don't get moved. Those are ones involving weird stories in the news, advice on things like food recs/travel/etc., recent news that doesn't involve politics (although posters seem to turn them into that), funny videos/gifs and really just a wide variety of random other thoughts and stuff. It's like the Soundoff board only way more active with many more posters. Because of that you get a whole lot more bs lame responses (kys, kys ***git, diaf, you're poor, yore poor, etc.) but it also means that there's a lot more quality posters around. It's fun, if you're not a premium member it's worth the 30 cents a day to subscribe and be entertained.
That sounds awesome.

Reactions: schoonerwest
I used to post over there all the time. Now I pretty much just lurk and seek out threads I think that I'll like.
It's fun to read, but it's lacking a bit of venom. Jokes and straight up insults are different. This board has insults.

Not necessarily. See Newman v. Piggie Park, in which the owner of drive-in restaurants tried to deny service to blacks for supposed religious reasons and was shut down. And business owners voluntarily enter into the stream of commerce by opening to the public (the whole public accommodation argument). You can't, for instance, claim that your business is the will of god and thus tax exempt. There's a line somewhere, but it's not nearly as black and white as proponents on either side like to argue.

Reactions: Dattier
If it weren't for tMB I would never run across things like this.

THP_CHP_050618SLUG_2398JPG.jpg

Not necessarily. See Newman v. Piggie Park, in which the owner of drive-in restaurants tried to deny service to blacks for supposed religious reasons and was shut down. And business owners voluntarily enter into the stream of commerce by opening to the public (the whole public accommodation argument). You can't, for instance, claim that your business is the will of god and thus tax exempt. There's a line somewhere, but it's not nearly as black and white as proponents on either side like to argue.

I'm sure there probably are a lot of nuances like that. Seems pretty silly to suggest that your religion doesn't allow interracial commerce. So I guess I can concede and say my statement is a generality for most business owners.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT