ADVERTISEMENT

Programs Best Player to NOT have a solid NBA Career

Villian07

Aug 11, 2015
That old 2015 draft thread got me reminiscing about some of the talented players I had forgotten about bc they didn’t make a splash in the League, so it got me thinking, who are the best players to come out of your program and not carve out a nice NBA career.

As a Louisville fan I can’t pick just one, Reece Gaines, Russ Smith, and Dejuan Wheat were all amazing college players who never had much (if any) of an nba career. Although they made money playing ball abroad they never could break into the nba and stick. And again these are three of the best players to ever play for Louisville imo.

I’m sure everyone has past favorites who were beasts in college but are now forgotten bc they didn’t blossom in the NBA. Thought it would be fun to look back and reminisce bc well off-season during a pandemic.

Mateen Cleaves, Shawn Respert, Denzel Valentine although he could still turn it around.

I’d personally add Juan Dixon and Chris Wilcox to Maryland’s list as well. Not saying they were as good as Bias, but both were super talented players who took Maryland to the promised land, but never had much of an impact in the nba.

Before that years draft if I had told you Steve Blake would have a better nba career than Wilcox and Dixon combined, you probably would have thought I was crazy.

Bias probably would have had a large nba impact if not for the tragic incident in which he lost his life. Really the only other player I can remotely compare to bias is Hank Gathers but I don’t think Gathers’ ceiling would be anywhere near Len Bias’s. RIP to both, super tragic situations.

But I’m not looking for a winner of the best college player not to have a successful nba career, just interested in reminiscing on some of the great college players who have become forgotten over the years bc of lack of success in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Blue79
Mateen Cleaves, Shawn Respert, Denzel Valentine although he could still turn it around.

Great list, I thought Cleaves was a lock to be a solid nba pg for decades. same with Valentine as a point forward or small forward, dude could do it all in college, I thought his game would translate as well. But both lack the elite athleticism that 90% of nba players have.

And ur right, Valentine could still turn it around and become a valuable asset to an nba franchise, like pj Tucker did.

Last edited:
I’m not a Texas fan, but I thought TJ Ford would have a nice nba career as well, dude was so electric at Texas.

Also the “chubby” pg for UConn with the foreign/Muslim name who won a title under Calhoun. My brain keeps going to Abdul-Raheem but I know that’s not right.

Gerald Fitch, Marquise Estill, Randolph Morris

Excellent list, ’d throw wayne turner in there as well. Dude was such a stud in college, despite his hanky shooting form.

Also while Mercer and Anderson played in the nba for a stint, neither made the impact I anticipated. I figured both would be multi time all stars.

I also thought James Young would be a stud in the nba, he could fill it up from deep.

Last edited:
Like every player from 2004 Illinois except Deron Williams

That was a damn good team. Still salty they beat us in the FF, but I don’t think we would have faired much better against unc that year anyways, they were super stacked.

Honestly, There’s a few from that UNC 04/05 team as well.

Last edited:
Dekker.

Thought he'd at least stick around.

Damn I didn’t realize he was already out of the league. I’ll always be a fan or dekker and kamisky for derailing the best college roster ever assembled. Shame y’all didnt beat duke as well, from my POV anyways.

Reactions: buckymel
Great list, I thought Cleaves was a lock to be a solid nba pg for decades. same with Valentine as a point forward or small forward, dude could do it all in college, I thought his game would translate as well. But both lack the elite athleticism that 90% of nba players have.

And ur right, Valentine could still turn it around and become a valuable asset to an nba franchise, like pj Tucker did.
Valentine has actually had some great individual performances for the Bulls, he’s had like 2 30+ point games, he just cannot stay healthy. He’s been hurt or coming off an injury essentially his whole career.

Not sure who that is but I’m assuming she’s a smoke show. Pics would help lol

Not sure who that is but I’m assuming she’s a smoke show. Pics would help lol

She's obviously not ugly but nothing special imo

636560245996049951-GettyImages-919696678.jpg

olivia-harlan-sideline-reporter-1.jpg

Unranked Caris LeVert and D-III transfer Duncan Robinson are better nba players than NPOY Trey Burke.

That old 2015 draft thread got me reminiscing about some of the talented players I had forgotten about bc they didn’t make a splash in the League, so it got me thinking, who are the best players to come out of your program and not carve out a nice NBA career.

As a Louisville fan I can’t pick just one, Reece Gaines, Russ Smith, and Dejuan Wheat were all amazing college players who never had much (if any) of an nba career. Although they made money playing ball abroad they never could break into the nba and stick. And again these are three of the best players to ever play for Louisville imo.

I’m sure everyone has past favorites who were beasts in college but are now forgotten bc they didn’t blossom in the NBA. Thought it would be fun to look back and reminisce bc well off-season during a pandemic.
A guy from UL who I thought would have a solid NBA career was LaBradford....Also, Jason Osbourne.

And a Packers princess to boot.
Her grandpa was Bob Harlan, one time GB Chairman and CEO.

Shelden Williams, for Duke.

And anyone who says that chick isn't hot is trying too hard. A sports reporter and former Ms Kansas or whatever? Goddamn "too cool" message board posters...

olivia-harlan-sideline-reporter-2.jpg

Reactions: KisteK
Swanigan in recent memory. Guy was a beast in college, and I never thought he’d be a star in the nba, but definitely thought he could carve out a Reggie Evans type of career. Still possible I guess, but not looking likely

Unranked Caris LeVert and D-III transfer Duncan Robinson are better nba players than NPOY Trey Burke.
Is Burke still with the Knicks? Also, dudes that are 6’0 and not named Allen Iverson usually don’t last too long in the league. Obv there are some exceptions.

No one at DePaul. All our all time greats turned out to be at least very good in the NBA. Mikan, Aguirre, Cummings, Strickland.

Twill has unreal athleticism and was a beast in college, but I wouldn’t say he had a better college career than Gaines nor Wheat.

but yea still pretty sad he couldn’t carve out an nba career, not bc of his lack of skills or athleticism, just bc he’s a head case whom teams didn’t want to put up with his BS. I thought him and earl clark would both have solid nba careers, which earl stuck around a while but he was a journeyman who didn’t really make a huge impact anywhere he landed.

Rashad McCants had a game built for the nba but he’s bi-polar.

Thought Hansbrough would have done better.

Wayne Ellington was another one.

Reactions: shun1
Louisville: Reece Gaines
Kentucky: Kelenna Azubuike
Indiana: Kirk Haston
UNC: Sean May

I’m not a Texas fan, but I thought TJ Ford would have a nice nba career as well, dude was so electric at Texas.

Also the “chubby” pg for UConn with the foreign/Muslim name who won a title under Calhoun. My brain keeps going to Abdul-Raheem but I know that’s not right.

There were two factors with Ford.
Never was much of a shooter and injuries.

The injuries ended his career more than the performance but the shot kept him from being a great NBA player.

When he was healthy he was similar to Rajon Rondo.

TJ is still around basketball here in Houston.

Reactions: TheBlueCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT