ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason 150 Most Impactful Players in 2021-22

If you like rap music. I gree up during the rap explosion in the 90s and early 2000s. Not exactly OGs like beasty boys, nwa, etc but still alot of good music from that era.

Lil wayne made most of it 😂 his remixes are so silly. Take another famous rap beat and make a better song off it like knuck if u buck and ice cream paint job. As well as non rap songs like poker face by gaga and i got a feeling by black eyed peas. No ceilings is one of my fave albums ever.

Let’s u Enjoy this but if you got the Lac you enjoy it more

If you like rap music. I gree up during the rap explosion in the 90s and early 2000s. Not exactly OGs like beasty boys, nwa, etc but still alot of good music from that era.

Lil wayne made most of it 😂 his remixes are so silly. Take another famous rap beat and make a better song off it like knuck if u buck and ice cream paint job. As well as non rap songs like poker face by gaga and i got a feeling by black eyed peas. No ceilings is one of my fave albums ever.

Young Dolph is from Memphis. Holdin it Down for the city.
Don’t think this girl from Houston. She might be from Memphis. Top shelf ass.

Overlooked? Perhaps. But, "seriously overlooked" is flirting with hyperbole.

I only have 17 freshmen in my top 150. I generally don't value them as much as the upperclassmen. I have roughly 20 players from each of the power 6 conferences. If someone makes my top 150 list, they're essentially a preseason all-conference player in my view.

Look at the composite rankings from last year, and see how many freshmen outside of the top 25 made an all-conference team. I'm seeing just two guys, Hunter Dickinson and Moses Moody. Tamar Bates was 27th on the composite rankings. He could have a productive year, certainly. But, there's a big difference between a productive year and being a top 150 player.
Impactful vs all-conference, etc, etc....are two totally different avenues. Tamar Bates is as close to being a 5* as there is...Its certainly not out of the question he makes a push for 3rd teamer---maybe better. I dunno. I'd be shocked if he's not All-freshman team, and even gives a push as FOY. I say he's being seriously overlooked b/c the kid has basically went from unranked---Top 100----To top 30.

I've seen him personally . Kid is really good.

But I appreciate your efforts, and your responses are always thought out, and fair. BUt as far as most IMPACTFUL players----Bates certainly fits that narrative.

Impactful vs all-conference, etc, etc....are two totally different avenues. Tamar Bates is as close to being a 5* as there is...Its certainly not out of the question he makes a push for 3rd teamer---maybe better. I dunno. I'd be shocked if he's not All-freshman team, and even gives a push as FOY. I say he's being seriously overlooked b/c the kid has basically went from unranked---Top 100----To top 30.

But I appreciate your efforts, and your responses are always thought out, and fair. BUt as far as most IMPACTFUL players----Bates certainly fits that narrative.

I'm not denying his talent. I think he's likely a future NBA player. But, fringe top 25 freshmen tend to be more on the "good" side (10-12 ppg) than the "most impactful" side (15+ ppg).

FWIW, Trevor Keels and AJ Griffin are both 5-star recruits, and I didn't list either of them in my top 150.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I'm not denying his talent. I think he's likely a future NBA player. But, fringe top 25 freshmen tend to be more on the "good" side (10-12 ppg) than the "most impactful" side (15+ ppg).

FWIW, Trevor Keels and AJ Griffin are both 5-star recruits, and I didn't list either of them in my top 150.
I was a little surprised by Griffin.

BTW, I'm not comfortable about our game at all.

Reactions: dukedevilz
You have me on the bench and I come off and drop 20.
I am getting more playing time
Next game I am hot. Don’t want to talk to anyone. Not getting that playing time
Self destructive stuff that people know

On these players. At least a lot are older
Younger ones like Askew know it is a fresh start
Jaylon Tyson is one of those players that can score. Score all over the court
Will be a NBA rotational piece

Basketball is a game with hurt feelings
Getting your head right
Sometimes some players can’t get their head right

If you have never boxed over basketball you never really played the game
Leave that shit for 14-15 year olds

You have me on the bench and I come off and drop 20.
I am getting more playing time
Next game I am hot. Don’t want to talk to anyone. Not getting that playing time
Self destructive stuff that people know

On these players. At least a lot are older
Younger ones like Askew know it is a fresh start
Jaylon Tyson is one of those players that can score. Score all over the court
Will be a NBA rotational piece

Basketball is a game with hurt feelings
Getting your head right
Sometimes some players can’t get their head right

If you have never boxed over basketball you never really played the game
Leave that shit for 14-15 year olds
Since you're here now. What's your thought's on Beards statements about Askew being an "all time great".

“I don’t want to put all the weight on his shoulders,” said Beard. “But I’ve got no problem telling you, if he stays the course, he’ll end up being one of the all-time greats.”

Like Wiltjer, Matthews, Juzang, I wish him the best.

Since you're here now. What's your thought's on Beards statements about Askew being an "all time great".

“I don’t want to put all the weight on his shoulders,” said Beard. “But I’ve got no problem telling you, if he stays the course, he’ll end up being one of the all-time greats.”

Like Wiltjer, Matthews, Juzang, I wish him the best.

Askew is a motion offense player
When you get movement your see his game come alive

He will be with Morris. The freshman for next year

You ever see someone that has that cat like quickness. That is Morris

Askew is a motion offense player
When you get movement your see his game come alive

He will be with Morris. The freshman for next year

You ever see someone that has that cat like quickness. That is Morris
So you don't think he'll be an all time great?

I guess what I'm asking is, as a very positive UT fan, do you think Beard is a bit hyperbolic with his quote?

So you don't think he'll be an all time great?

I guess what I'm asking is, as a very positive UT fan, do you think Beard is a bit hyperbolic with his quote?

Askew has tremendous basketball IQ

Moving without the ball. But people have to open their eyes on the court

Motion offense ran efficiently can be unstoppable. Warriors did so well together

Basic 11-12 old stuff
One guy dribbling
One guy running
Me with the basketball
What gets to the other baseline first

But one player can’t change that unless other players buy in what he is selling

Leadership

More than that it is improving his game. Askew is a great shooter. His 3pt was an anomaly
A lot was bad shots

Askew as a 4 year player could be one of those guys who is just on another level

Never seen bates. But langford was a 5 star who didnt do much. Lander was highly rated as well and dodnt do much his frosh year. Its not guarenteed that 5 stars produce immediately. Same way for guys at my school. Shaquaan aaron and vj king are excellent examples of burger boys who flopped in college.

Now having said that bates might tear it up, again ive never seen him play. Just saying hs ranking doesnt equal immediate college success.

Only one of the players who were pushed out by Texas after Shaka that I would watch out for
One that most wouldn’t pick.

The recruit from N Carolina
Big upside. In terms of where he is now to where he can be. More than Kai Jones
But Kai came into college a better player

They could be wrong.
Plus Bates could have wanted to start

Hard for me to see him as someone who can just walk into college and play at a high level
Even then I don’t see him as a guy who could end up a Lottery pick

Never seen bates. But langford was a 5 star who didnt do much. Lander was highly rated as well and dodnt do much his frosh year.
Except average 16ppg/5.2rpg/2.3apg----with a torn ligament in his thumb. Other than that, you are right---he didn't do much.

Lander made a bad decision. Should have stayed in HS. Was terribly misled, and misused. He kinda of got it going toward the end of the year----then Miller doesn't play him; Had 7 points, 3 assists, 2 tunrovers, in 16 minutes vs Michigan....Then had 7/3/3 vs MSU in 22 minutes....THen only played 6 minutes vs Purdue. MIller done that a lot with the kid. I expect a better Lander this year. BUT----b/c is loaded, so not sure how much PT he's gonna get.

I've seen Bates personally....He's extremely good. Can score from anywhere...athletic...see's the floor well, and can shoot the ball.

There was an inordinate amount of top-ranked point guards that struggled last year. Most notably, Caleb Love, Jeremy Roach, and Devin Askew. 3 freshmen starting at 3 blue bloods. But, it wasn't just them. Khristian Lander, Deivon Smith, and Reece Beekman all had their struggles, too. Obviously the COVID season didn't help their development. I fee like some of these point guards will have a sophomore rebound. Right now, I'm most confident in Reece Beekman.

"I’ve got no problem telling you, if he stays the course, he’ll end up being one of the all-time greats." Gotta think that is coach speak. Some coaches have no issue with laying it on real thick. It can build confidence in the player - and it can excite a fanbase. But, I do wonder what he means when he says "all-time greats." Surely not one of all-time greats in basketball. Maybe he just meant should he play four years at Texas, he'll be one of the all-time great UT players.

Except average 16ppg/5.2rpg/2.3apg----with a torn ligament in his thumb. Other than that, you are right---he didn't do much.

Lander made a bad decision. Should have stayed in HS. Was terribly misled, and misused. He kinda of got it going toward the end of the year----then Miller doesn't play him; Had 7 points, 3 assists, 2 tunrovers, in 16 minutes vs Michigan....Then had 7/3/3 vs MSU in 22 minutes....THen only played 6 minutes vs Purdue. MIller done that a lot with the kid. I expect a better Lander this year. BUT----b/c is loaded, so not sure how much PT he's gonna get.

I've seen Bates personally....He's extremely good. Can score from anywhere...athletic...see's the floor well, and can shoot the ball.
Yea thats my bad those are impressive numbers for langford. I didnt realize he avg so many points. I knew he was hurt for a bit. And you obv know way more about bates than me so ill defer to ur opinion.

Hey Sheriff, Buddy! I see you are hiding out over here now. Glad you are still around.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone post it but it looks like we have lost Terrance Shannon for the foreseeable future as the NCAA has to investigate if he did anything wrong while testing the NBA waters. Hope not, but that's a big blow for us starting the season.

Yea thats my bad those are impressive numbers for langford. I didnt realize he avg so many points. I knew he was hurt for a bit. And you obv know way more about bates than me so ill defer to ur opinion.
Langford was poorly used.....Stillnot sure why Miller didn't use the kid in the post more. He knew he was hurt, couldn't shoot. So did everyone else. It was frustrating.

Not sure how Bates will start out. Probably won't start. But I still see him getting solid minutes. I mean he could one of those, practice All-Americans....Who knows. But from what I have seen, he looks like the real deal. Reminds me a ton of Maurice Creek/Bracey Wright sort of player.

Indiana has a log jam in the b/c----Johnson, Stewart, Phinisee, Geronimo, Galloway, Lander, Bates...So minutes are gonna be tough. Especially if Phin finds himself. Geronimo IMO is a sleeper. But IMO, Bates by conference time, could be the best of the group. Gonna take some time getting used to the speed of the game, etc, etc....But I really like this kid.

Reactions: Villian07
Yea iu, like many teams is very deep and interesting to see how the roles develop. Cant remeber a year not only with so many good teams, but so many deep ones as well. Guess the transfer portal changed that though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yea iu, like many teams is very deep and interesting to see how the roles develop. Cant remeber a year not only with so many good teams, but so many deep ones as well. Guess the transfer portal changed that though.
Up year.

Sasser @ 55 was a good starting point the dude has had a fast, fast start to the year. He's a mover upper.

So what's up with Edey for PU? @ 87 seemed fair also, but he's starting and kind of going off so far is that right? Purdue fans did he overtake Trevion? They don't play together do they? Coach tinkering with lineups or something else?

I'm ready to get Barcello into the T20 after starting @ a fair 26

Sasser @ 55 was a good starting point the dude has had a fast, fast start to the year. He's a mover upper.

So what's up with Edey for PU? @ 87 seemed fair also, but he's starting and kind of going off so far is that right? Purdue fans did he overtake Trevion? They don't play together do they? Coach tinkering with lineups or something else?

I'm ready to get Barcello into the T20 after starting @ a fair 26
Edey has overtaken Trevion but both have been very good. Edey's stat line vs 3 punching bags so far:

19 pts, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, 77% FG, 80% FT in only 19 minutes.

Looking forward to him matching up with Bacot this weekend. Will be a test to see if he truly has the AA potential we think he might have.

Just a few games in I may have overvalued Bennedict Mathurin. Chet Holmgren will still be really good, but #3 is probably too high. TyTy Washington has been disappointing so far. Still think he's supremely talented, and think he could correct that. Andre Curbelo has also had a slow start.

Ochai Agbaji should be in the top 10.

Oscar Tshiebwe has been playing like a monster. Deserves Top 10 consideration.

Kennedy Chandler might be the best point guard in the country. I think he's now my favorite to win SEC POY. Oscar would be my #2 guy.

Keegan Murray is obviously too low.

Trevor Keels and Darryl Morsell should have been ranked.

Ryan Nembhard might be better as a freshman than his older brother. At least I snuck him into my top 150 list. Andrew might be a tad overvalued.

Marcus Sasser, as mentioned, is definitely too low.

Darius Days and Jabari Smith have been playing really well.

Oscar is averaging 18/18 with almost 3 blocks a game. To say he's started off hot might be an understatement. Not like it has been just one big game either.

I wasn't high on him coming in, but Wheeler has been excellent as well. 11/10 with 2 steals a game. Been Kentucky's second best player.

Morsell playing like a guy that should be on this list-amazing how he stepped up offensively...

ADVERTISEMENT